IMDb > The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly More at IMDbPro »Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (original title)

Page 8 of 74: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

The most influential western ever.

Author: henrymadman from United Kingdom
16 June 2007

By far the most ambitious and unflinchingly graphic western ever mounted, THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY is an engrossing, explosive movie shot through with a volatile mix of myth and realism.

Clint Eastwood returns as the invincible 'man with no name' or 'blondie'. This time teaming with two gunlingers (Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach) to pursue a fortune in stolen gold. But teamwork doesn't come naturally to such strong-willed outlaws, and they soon discover that their greatest challenge may be to stay focused - and stay alive - in a country ravaged by war. Forging a vibrant yet detached style of action that had not been seen before, and has never been matched since, THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY.

back cover.

"Best climax" i have ever seen.

Author: samurai-vignesh from India
16 May 2007

This is the film which made an effect on me when i watched this movie. What a wonderful cinematography, i think they made a good effort to do such a cinematography. When tuco and Blondie plant the bomb in the bridge i thought the blasting scene will not be realistic, but shockingly the blast was very realistic and i wondered that how would have they did that scene, really extraordinary. The ultimate scene in the movie is, when tuco,"who was eager to know the name of the cemetery from bill Carson, will kick Blondie when he was lying beside bill, but when bill dies and Blondie says that he knows the name of the cemetery, tuco suddenly cares for Blondie. This film has an excellent duologue's by making to understand the viewer indirectly. I think this movie has a best climax than any other movie. Adios..........

The Good the Bad and the BEST

Author: Alex da Silva from United Kingdom
22 April 2007

This is the closest thing to perfection, with pure great action, pure story telling and pure acting from visionary director Sergio Leone who has directed the two prequels to The Good The Bad and The Ugly, they are a fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More. With Clint EastWood once again at the helm of the leading role delivers massive knockout performances as '' Blondie'' others in the supporting acting roles are Eli Wallach in the role of Tuco and the late Lee Van Cleef acting Angel Eyes. All of this though wouldn't have been possible without Sergio Leone, the man who set alight the Western frontier of films. Clint EastWood who has also been seen as one of the greatest Western actors of all time.

Nothing could be greater and more pure than to have a top of the world actor and a great visionary director. I just cant get over the acting from Clint and the breath taking action set pieces. In one sentence: Truly worth watching!!!

Great!

Author: OllieZ from Wolves, England
17 April 2007

Basically, if you have to see one western, watch this one. From the opening credits, you can tell its going to be a stylish, bloody ride.

What I admire most about this film is the attention to detail. Leone doesn't rush scenes; sometimes we have shots up to five minutes without dialogue.

Tension chews nearly every scene as we observe the eyes and hands of the characters. It's as much a film of greed and civil war, as it is about deception.

The acting is perfect all round. Clint, Wallach and Cleef are all amazing in their roles. They manage to live up to their roles of good, bad and ugly well, but it's not as clear cut as that. The characters in this film are all morally ambiguous and so they should be. At a time like the civil war, even the "good" can be "ugly".

Great direction, superb acting and amazing style. The film is very efficient at telling its story - and the ending is amazing.

Definitely watch this.

ELI WALLACH WAS THE STAR !

Author: whpratt1 from United States
7 November 2003

As many times as I have viewed this film, I greatly admire the entire picture for just plain enjoyable entertainment and seeing great actors such as Clint Eastwood (Joe)"Absolute Power"'97 and the entire cast make this an all time classic. However, Eli Wallach (Tuco)" Mackenna's Gold" '69 put his very heart and soul into his film role and gave a fantastic performance that over powered the entire cast. Trying to put this film under a magnifying glass and trying to be critical and tearing it into little pieces is not necessary, just sit back and enjoy a great masterpiece of GOOD ENTERTAINMENT !

A true epic and one of the greatest films of all time.

Author: reservoirclerk from United States
2 July 2007

I saw this movie for the first time on my tiny 15 inch screen of my TV/DVD player, and even on this minuscule format I was still simply amazed by the sheer scope of it. Now I understand and acknowledge the usual complaints against the film, namely the fact that the movie is almost three hours long with many scenes that tend to drag on for minutes with little dialog or action, however it is these scenes that make the movie the masterpiece that it is. Every shot whether it be an expansive landscape or an extreme close-up Sergio Leone draws you into his own version of the old west. A world where three men chase each other across the desert in search of 100,000 dollars worth of Confederate gold. Along the way they encounter Yankee and Confederate soldiers, Mexican bandits, bounty hunters in a journey that culminates in one of the most riveting showdowns in cinema history. What I found most interesting about this film however was the influence it obviously had on modern filmmaker Quentin Tarentino. Many of his trademarks (very memorable characters, long shots centered on a single character, intense standoffs involving multiple characters) can be found in abundance in this film as well. In fact Tarentino's Kun Fu epic Kill Bill goes so far as to barrow multiple songs from Leone's Dollars Trilogy. In the end all this adds up to make The Good the Bad and the Ugly in my opinion one of the greatest films of all time.

probably the best western ever made

Author: glenxxvi from United Kingdom
15 June 2007

i first saw this film in about 2003. i had seen A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS and FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE on the television and i thought they were really good so i decided to buy them on DVD. Searching the shops for them i found that they came in a box set with a third film, THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY. I hadn't seen THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY at the time but I liked the first two so I thought that I would buy the whole box set, as that was all that was available at the time. What I didn't realise until after I watched all three was how great THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY was and I thought that the first two were good. it turned out that THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY was the best of the three. THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY was probably the only film I had ever bought on DVD without having seen it before and I'm SO glad I did. This film is excellent and although i have seen it many times it still stands up well after multiple viewings. it may be nearly three hours long but it is never boring. all the elements work so well (music, acting, dialogue, setting etc...) i can't really find fault in it. i liked it so much i bought the special edition DVD just to see the extra footage incorporated into the film. if you've not seen this, then rent it because i guarantee you'll soon be buying it shortly afterwards

My comment

Author: bilowkojy from Ireland
11 June 2007

Quentin Tarantino has called it "the best-directed film of all time." For me it is a majestic film. Sergio Leone is the greatest director. He is the complete artist, stylist. His films have a specially charm, though are full of the outrage. They are can watch for hundred times. It is a quality of the great artist what was S.Leone. The fine story, with a wonderful photography and adequate music of the greatest film music composer E. Morricone plus the rhythm generates a masterpiece. Does not need forget the excellent actors whose merit is the big for a global impression.

Thanks!

Bilow

not for me

Author: manicmeuk from United Kingdom
22 March 2011

I'm not a fan of westerns, but feel I've shoved myself in a sci fi horror orientated corner of ignorance so am slowly working my way through the IMDb top 250 in an attempt to broaden my horizons (and possibly catch that rare film that blows u away without expecting it) I did REALLY appreciate the level of accomplishment this film expressed. For its time the cinematic atmosphere of comedy, emotion and gritty drama was clearly above average for even now, and the acting skills were brilliant and really added personality.

however (and i don't think its cuz I'm a girl) this film just wasn't for me. it was very slowly paced and i didn't manage to follow or care much for the characters stories.

that said, i would definitely recommend watching it as its surely one of those films that depends heavily on personal tastes, and judging it as a western just doesn't give it the respect it warrants.

A revolutionary and exciting Spaghetti Western

Author: ma-cortes from Santander Spain
19 July 2004

This is a bemusing, violent and stylish Western, it's the best Sergio Leone . The film takes part of ¨the man without name¨ trilogy united to ¨For a fistful dollars¨, and ¨ A few dollars more¨.

The movie centers about the ugly (Eli Wallach) , the bad (Lee Van Cleef) and the good (Clint Eastwood) in search for a Confederate treasure buried on a cemetery whose tracks have got the three enemies and is set during American Civil War.

It's too much violent but is neither tiring, nor boring, but entertaining. The film mingles noisy action , impressive battles, shootouts, violence with strong tortures, tongue in cheek, satire and a little bit of humor.

The final showdown between the three contenders is breathtaking.

In spite of the fact the runtime is overlong , nevertheless isn't dull . Direction by Sergio Leone is magnificent. Ennio Morricone musical score is extraordinary , the soundtrack has been imitated and copied by thousand occasions. Morricone's iconic theme music was designed in places to mimic the sound of a howling coyote . Production design by Carlo Simi and cinematography by Tonino Delli Colli is riveting . Shot in the deserts and landscapes of Spain : Burgos and Almeria , with 1,500 Spanish soldiers as extras .

Eli Wallach is very well , as he steals the show , he interprets a humorous and greedy murderous thief , Lee Van Cleef plays a villain and ominous killer and Clint Eastwood makes a dirty and wry 'man without name'.

This quintaessential 'Spaguetti' originated great influence of wide range in Western . It was such a good picture that had a great success. Followed by ¨ Once upon a time in West¨and ¨Duck you sucker¨.

Rating: very nice, above average 8'5/10