IMDb > The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly More at IMDbPro »Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (original title)

Page 8 of 76: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

One Of The Best Films Ever Made?

Author: njmollo from London
10 September 2007

"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" has become the ultimate iconic film. Its broad images have become a staple for all that would eventually follow from Advertising, Pop Videos to future Western productions and Horror flicks. None can or want to escape the extraordinary visual flare and style of its Director. It is just too damn fashionable. Sergio Leone's influence cannot be overstated.

The exalted position of this Spaghetti Classic is #3 in the Top 250 films ever made according to The Internet Movie Data Base. Whether this position is justified is debatable but the good news is that this Classic Film was made over 41 years ago. The Top 250 list has proved somewhat unreliable because the latest Cinema Releases are voted on in greater numbers than the Classics of yesteryear and so it reflects a very modern bias. Substandard films like Martin Scorsese's poor re-make "The Departed" or "The Bourne Ultimatum" have found themselves in the Top 100 relatively quickly.

The positive of the IMDb Top 250 list is that it is constantly evolving and it also represents the general publics take on the medium. A crowd pleaser like "The Shawshank Redemption" has found itself consistently within the Top 5 and at present is at #2. That film found its audience not in the Cinema but by word of mouth and subsequent DVD sales.

The problem as a whole is that the general public forgets the older Classic rather quickly because they hamper for the newest release. In some cases what is old is regarded with contempt.

At a dinner in Hollywood I sat next to a famous producer and his beautiful doll-like wife. We began to talk about "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" and what an impact it has had on modern cinema. His wife stopped our conversation with the subtly of shooting a blunderbuss into the air.

"Why would you want to see that" she said, "its old!"

The Best Of The Best

Author: claytonators from Wales, Newport
9 September 2007

When i first saw this film i thought it was slow and pointless. It really didn't seem to be going anywhere at all and worst of all, the story didn't make any sense.

A few months later i watched, A Fistful Of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More and i decided to give this a chance again, realising that it was part of the Dollars Trilogy. After watching it a second time all i can say is this ... Sergio Leonios Best, Clint Eastwoods best and the best Western of all time. The battle sense's were by far the best and most life like battle sense's i have ever seen , the best thing about this film is the music, that theme composed greatly by Ennio Morrocone has become a modern classic.

The Story really came to me this time watching it. Clint Eastwood plays Blondie (THE GOOD), Eli Wallach plays Tuco (THE BAD) and Lee Van Cleff plays Angle Eyes (THE UGLY), three men who are after a fortune in gold. It sounds like a typical story, but to get to the gold they have to go through the civil war. Well, only Blondie and Tuco have too. Angle Eyes is a general in the war.

I really don't know what made think this was crap the first time i watched it. I guess it was because at that time, i really didn't like Westerns at all. But now watching it a second time, it has become one of my top 5 favourite films of all time. One thing i'm happy to see is this is in the top 10 on the IMDb Top 250. It deserves it. 10/10. Perfect

Brutal Brilliance

Author: Alexander Penn from United Kingdom
1 September 2007

"There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend: Those with a rope around the neck, and the people who have the job of doing the cutting."

This is without any doubt one of (if not the) greatest western films ever made. It has a very continuous structure so it keeps the audience entertained the whole way through Its a story of greed, hypocrisy, betrayal and ironic friendship.

Its about 3 very different people (good the bad and the ugly) all going for the same treasure buried in a grave. Its a tense and edge of seat classic

The music is nothing short of perfect, this is by far Ennio Morricone's best work and the music creates the films now clichéd stereotype which was such (and still is) a success in the 60's when it came out.

In Conclusion, Don't be scared off by this movie because of its genre, I've never liked westerns but this was thoroughly entertaining a must see 8.9/10

The most influential western ever.

Author: henrymadman from United Kingdom
16 June 2007

By far the most ambitious and unflinchingly graphic western ever mounted, THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY is an engrossing, explosive movie shot through with a volatile mix of myth and realism.

Clint Eastwood returns as the invincible 'man with no name' or 'blondie'. This time teaming with two gunlingers (Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach) to pursue a fortune in stolen gold. But teamwork doesn't come naturally to such strong-willed outlaws, and they soon discover that their greatest challenge may be to stay focused - and stay alive - in a country ravaged by war. Forging a vibrant yet detached style of action that had not been seen before, and has never been matched since, THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY.

back cover.

"Best climax" i have ever seen.

Author: samurai-vignesh from India
16 May 2007

This is the film which made an effect on me when i watched this movie. What a wonderful cinematography, i think they made a good effort to do such a cinematography. When tuco and Blondie plant the bomb in the bridge i thought the blasting scene will not be realistic, but shockingly the blast was very realistic and i wondered that how would have they did that scene, really extraordinary. The ultimate scene in the movie is, when tuco,"who was eager to know the name of the cemetery from bill Carson, will kick Blondie when he was lying beside bill, but when bill dies and Blondie says that he knows the name of the cemetery, tuco suddenly cares for Blondie. This film has an excellent duologue's by making to understand the viewer indirectly. I think this movie has a best climax than any other movie. Adios..........

The Good the Bad and the BEST

Author: Alex da Silva from United Kingdom
22 April 2007

This is the closest thing to perfection, with pure great action, pure story telling and pure acting from visionary director Sergio Leone who has directed the two prequels to The Good The Bad and The Ugly, they are a fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More. With Clint EastWood once again at the helm of the leading role delivers massive knockout performances as '' Blondie'' others in the supporting acting roles are Eli Wallach in the role of Tuco and the late Lee Van Cleef acting Angel Eyes. All of this though wouldn't have been possible without Sergio Leone, the man who set alight the Western frontier of films. Clint EastWood who has also been seen as one of the greatest Western actors of all time.

Nothing could be greater and more pure than to have a top of the world actor and a great visionary director. I just cant get over the acting from Clint and the breath taking action set pieces. In one sentence: Truly worth watching!!!

Great!

Author: OllieZ from Wolves, England
17 April 2007

Basically, if you have to see one western, watch this one. From the opening credits, you can tell its going to be a stylish, bloody ride.

What I admire most about this film is the attention to detail. Leone doesn't rush scenes; sometimes we have shots up to five minutes without dialogue.

Tension chews nearly every scene as we observe the eyes and hands of the characters. It's as much a film of greed and civil war, as it is about deception.

The acting is perfect all round. Clint, Wallach and Cleef are all amazing in their roles. They manage to live up to their roles of good, bad and ugly well, but it's not as clear cut as that. The characters in this film are all morally ambiguous and so they should be. At a time like the civil war, even the "good" can be "ugly".

Great direction, superb acting and amazing style. The film is very efficient at telling its story - and the ending is amazing.

Definitely watch this.

A true epic and one of the greatest films of all time.

Author: reservoirclerk from United States
2 July 2007

I saw this movie for the first time on my tiny 15 inch screen of my TV/DVD player, and even on this minuscule format I was still simply amazed by the sheer scope of it. Now I understand and acknowledge the usual complaints against the film, namely the fact that the movie is almost three hours long with many scenes that tend to drag on for minutes with little dialog or action, however it is these scenes that make the movie the masterpiece that it is. Every shot whether it be an expansive landscape or an extreme close-up Sergio Leone draws you into his own version of the old west. A world where three men chase each other across the desert in search of 100,000 dollars worth of Confederate gold. Along the way they encounter Yankee and Confederate soldiers, Mexican bandits, bounty hunters in a journey that culminates in one of the most riveting showdowns in cinema history. What I found most interesting about this film however was the influence it obviously had on modern filmmaker Quentin Tarentino. Many of his trademarks (very memorable characters, long shots centered on a single character, intense standoffs involving multiple characters) can be found in abundance in this film as well. In fact Tarentino's Kun Fu epic Kill Bill goes so far as to barrow multiple songs from Leone's Dollars Trilogy. In the end all this adds up to make The Good the Bad and the Ugly in my opinion one of the greatest films of all time.

probably the best western ever made

Author: glenxxvi from United Kingdom
15 June 2007

i first saw this film in about 2003. i had seen A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS and FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE on the television and i thought they were really good so i decided to buy them on DVD. Searching the shops for them i found that they came in a box set with a third film, THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY. I hadn't seen THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY at the time but I liked the first two so I thought that I would buy the whole box set, as that was all that was available at the time. What I didn't realise until after I watched all three was how great THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY was and I thought that the first two were good. it turned out that THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY was the best of the three. THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY was probably the only film I had ever bought on DVD without having seen it before and I'm SO glad I did. This film is excellent and although i have seen it many times it still stands up well after multiple viewings. it may be nearly three hours long but it is never boring. all the elements work so well (music, acting, dialogue, setting etc...) i can't really find fault in it. i liked it so much i bought the special edition DVD just to see the extra footage incorporated into the film. if you've not seen this, then rent it because i guarantee you'll soon be buying it shortly afterwards

My comment

Author: bilowkojy from Ireland
11 June 2007

Quentin Tarantino has called it "the best-directed film of all time." For me it is a majestic film. Sergio Leone is the greatest director. He is the complete artist, stylist. His films have a specially charm, though are full of the outrage. They are can watch for hundred times. It is a quality of the great artist what was S.Leone. The fine story, with a wonderful photography and adequate music of the greatest film music composer E. Morricone plus the rhythm generates a masterpiece. Does not need forget the excellent actors whose merit is the big for a global impression.

Thanks!