IMDb > The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly More at IMDbPro »Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo. (original title)

Page 5 of 72: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

One of the greatest films ever made!

Author: Maciste_Brother from the rock
10 January 2007

And Sergio Leone had to show Hollywood how a western should be done. Earthy, gritty, moody, rambling, funny and just plain nasty too. One thing most people forget about the Sergio Leone Dollar trilogy films is that they were made when westerns were really staid and boring, with zero atmosphere and very mechanical. Then came these movies, with THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY being the last and the greatest of the three Dollar films. Cinema wasn't the same after it was released. And to show influential this film is, it transcended its "western" genre and influenced practically every type of films made after that. Heck, I'm not even a western fan and I thoroughly admire what Leone and the gang created here. It's big, bold, melancholic, lusty, giddy and operatic.

The thing I really love about THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY is the atmosphere. It's almost one kind. Never duplicated in any other film since (and that includes Clint Eastwood's dry cowboy flicks). One major contributing factor is obviously Ennio Morricone's unforgettable score, probably one of the greatest scores ever made. The music during the ending, when Tuco searches the cemetery, it's spine tinglingly powerful.

Of the three characters, Tuco steals the show. He's the heart and soul of film. It's probably Eli Wallach's greatest performance. He immersed himself in the role and, in the processed, really became Tuco.

My only complaint about THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY is that it is a low budget film and as expansive and epic as it is, the film sorta looks cheap. Practically everything was shot outside. There are few sets in the movie and when we are within four walls, the sets look, hmm, cheap. I just wished the production design was as expansive looking as the vision Leone had in mind. The film would have been perfect then. But that's something I can clearly overlook.

When I watch a movie like THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY, I get depressed. Depressed because at one time films were actually amazing, groundbreaking and entertaining. The 1960s were one of the greatest era in movie-making. Sadly today's films don't even come close to the stunning creative output of that decade. They should re-release THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY on the big screen. It's a classic film.

The Blood of Human Kindness

Author: William Gruendler from United States
17 July 2006

Eight of Ten Stars. I was so enamored of this movie as a teen that my Northwestern University freshman dorm wall was papered with big B&W posters of mssrs. Eastwood, Wallach and Van Cleef in the Fall of 1968. I was quite the little existentialist then; "If it feels good, DO IT!" was the mantra of my high school Senior English teacher. Well, it felt good, and bad, and ugly. I ended up dropping out of Northwestern after Kent State and, taking the soundtrack of GBU (in my head) with me to Vietnam in 1971, I proceeded to get a real-world education in the old 'ultra-violence' as an infantryman in the AMERICAL Division... WHAT you may ask does this have to do with an American Civil War movie, directed and written by an Italian Communist? (Sergio Leone's daddy may have been more of a commie than Sergio was, but the fact is that "A Fistful of Dollars" was STOLEN from Kurosawa, while "The Magnificent Seven" was PURCHASED years before. The end justifies the means? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?) http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/classic/articles/prof.html I found out firsthand the moral ambiguities of war. If only I had paid attention to the subtext in GBU! If only I had studied the Matthew Henry battlefield dead tintypes as Leone so obviously had! His hideous, rotting carcases of Union and Confederate soldiers, bloating in direct sunlight, would have sufficiently revulsed me from any notion that I could 'play soldier' and survive! But here I am, having just barely survived.... and I just got out of the fabulous Fox Theater here in Atlanta where the restored GBU was projected in all its Technicolor/Technirama glory at fully loaded, screaming Morricone volume.... there must have been at least a thousand people there, and hardly anyone moved. INCREDIBLE. It is said that the movie was made to the tunes Morricone made prior to production's start; i.e. Leone played the music while shooting the scenes! Hence, these epics are giant music videos - fantasias - symphonic cinema- they are huge, elegiac tone poems! And, God help me, I still love this movie.

They don't make 'em like this anymore.

Author: Alex Slavenko from Israel
19 January 2006

This movie is a classic. It's spectacular, it's thrilling, it's beautiful. You won't find anything like this now-a-days, no matter how hard you try. Anyone who hasn't seen this movie should be ashamed of himself.

The plot is simple - Blondie (Clint Eastwood), the Good, Tuco (Eli Wallach), the Ugly, and Angel Eyes (Lee Van Cleef), the Bad, are all after a stash of Confederate gold, holding 200,000 dollars in gold, during the American Civil War. Seems like a pretty simple plot for 1 and a half hours, let alone 3. So what drives this movie? Style. Cinematography. Atmosphere. Let me explain.

The first scene in the movie is the (rather unappealing) face of a bandit. It then switches to a wide shot of the small town he and his two companions are entering. A few more shots of the bandits. They enter an inn, and gunshots are heard. Out the window comes charging Tuco, clutching a gun in one hand and meat in the other. The image freezes while he's in midair, and the writing "The Ugly" appears on the screen. The first half hour or so serves to introduce the three main characters in similar fashion. No plot progression whatsoever, merely introduction. Most movies would fall with a start like that, but not this one. It takes more than an hour before the rush for the gold begins, and by that hour you already know everything you can and need to know about the three anti-heroes: Blondie is the Good. He is not good at all under normal standards, as he is an outlaw, a killer and he betrays his "friend". But he seems good in comparison to the other slime-balls in the movie: Tuco is a villain, pure and simple. He steals, murderers, rapes, and does a bunch of other nasty things. But he is still fun and amusing, while the sinister Angel Eyes stands in comparison - a menacing figure in black clothing with an evil mustache, who kills and double-crosses without blinking for a few more dollars.

And the movie doesn't follow a plot. The plot is just a background for the amazing scenes that come one after another and construct the movie - you go from one scene to the other. And there are many memorable scenes in this movie: The first time Blondie shoots the rope before Tuco is hanged to death. Blondie's march through the desert. Tuco and Blondie's capture by the Yankees. Tuco's torture. Tuco's gunfight in the tub and the classic line that follows. The showdown in the deserted town. The bridge being blown up. Tuco's search for the grave. And of course, the amazing climax. But I'll get to that later.

We've covered the style, but I also mentioned cinematography and atmosphere. And the cinematography is amazing. Wide shots of towns and deserts zoom to close-ups of desperate and rugged men. The effect is amazing, especially during gunfights. It creates tension and suspense, and that leads me to the second point I mentioned: atmosphere. This feels like the West. The people look dirty and hard-working. The buildings look rickety. And when time is spent looking at each other before the guns are drawn for a few short seconds when the men fire at each other, you feel what it's like to be there.

And finally, as I mentioned before, the climax. Possibly the best climax in a movie ever. A Mexican Standoff between the three main characters in the film - Blondie, Angel Eyes and Tuco. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Minutes pass as they stare at each other, each bringing their hand a bit closer to the gun. The music becomes more and more dramatic as time passes. You wait, and then... They fire, and it's over. A duel as a duel should be. It's mind-blowing.

Few movies can reach the level of this masterpiece. Fewer still can surpass it. They don't make 'em like this anymore, and it's a damn shame.

One Of The Best Westerns Ever Made!

Author: gottogorunning from United States
13 August 2005

This movie has style - in a very elemental way - so to speak. You get an idea of the deadly, dreary desert, the deadlier bounty hunters and the deadliest of 'em all - Clint Eastwood - the man with no name! The story is a simple one to follow and is brilliantly executed by Sergio Leone using just the right landscapes along with some pretty good sets too (like the one featuring the Civil War sequence). Some of the scenes were meant to be symbolic (especially the Civil War scenes) and they did their job well.

Eli Wallach is simply superb with his "Blondieeee!!!" screams and curses. Lee Van Cleef seems as deadly as the great Eastwood himself as "The Bad" guy.

Cinematography - not as continuous as one would like - but manages to convey the tension in the dueling scenes very effectively.

Also, the music - Ennio Morricone at his best! He has dished out some very innovative and brilliant stuff for all the three "great" westerns and this along with "For a Few Dollars More" seems to be his best.

Finally, the style! Sergio Leone can certainly teach a thing or two to Quentin Tarantino or The Wachowski Brothers - in fact Tarantino acknowledges Leone's great style. And then the epitome of style himself - Clint Eastwood - with a half-burnt cigar in his lips, unshaven face, tilted hat, ragged jeans, a worn out poncho and the sharpest scowl ever which can rub out any "Neo-with-million-dollar-goggles" off the face of the Earth.

Not genre-defining, surely - it was invented by Hollywood. But somebody from Europe really showed the world how to make westerns.

The good, the bad and the ugly

Author: richard_land from Netherlands
23 November 2007

Upon release of this movie the critics were not so mild with there comments, but this is in my opinion the best western ever made! Everything in this movie is well balanced. It shows how the west really was in my opinion. The director Sergio Leone takes his time to tell the story. He uses different types of camera angles, extreme close ups etc. This makes The Good The Bad And The Ugly a feast for your eyes! Also the actors are well casted. Eastwood plays his part with excellence as do the other two actors. Especially Eli Wallach is perfect in his role of Tuco. The music of Ennio Morricone is also the best! The openings-tune is known all over the world.It's a movie I can watch over and over again. And every time I do so, I discover new things.

Great story telling and non conventional film making.

Author: SmileysWorld from United States
5 November 2007

Greed.If you let it,it can overcome you.It has the power to turn your friends into enemies,and your enemies into friends.There's gold buried in a graveyard.There are three men.Two of them know what graveyard.The third knows what grave.These three men are not friends.Each one has nothing but contempt for the other two.That is,normally that would the case,but when there are riches untold involved,they are best friends willing to do anything to keep each other alive,even going so far as to declare war.....on a war.The Good,the Bad,and the Ugly is a well told story of greed and what it does to us if we let it.It is also great movie making from a time when the world wasn't in such a big hurry.It was OK to go ten minutes in a film without a single solitary word being spoken and to go from an extreme wide shot one minute to an extreme close up the next.It was non conventional for it's time,and that's what was,and still is,great about it.

A true epic and one of the greatest films of all time.

Author: reservoirclerk from United States
2 July 2007

I saw this movie for the first time on my tiny 15 inch screen of my TV/DVD player, and even on this minuscule format I was still simply amazed by the sheer scope of it. Now I understand and acknowledge the usual complaints against the film, namely the fact that the movie is almost three hours long with many scenes that tend to drag on for minutes with little dialog or action, however it is these scenes that make the movie the masterpiece that it is. Every shot whether it be an expansive landscape or an extreme close-up Sergio Leone draws you into his own version of the old west. A world where three men chase each other across the desert in search of 100,000 dollars worth of Confederate gold. Along the way they encounter Yankee and Confederate soldiers, Mexican bandits, bounty hunters in a journey that culminates in one of the most riveting showdowns in cinema history. What I found most interesting about this film however was the influence it obviously had on modern filmmaker Quentin Tarentino. Many of his trademarks (very memorable characters, long shots centered on a single character, intense standoffs involving multiple characters) can be found in abundance in this film as well. In fact Tarentino's Kun Fu epic Kill Bill goes so far as to barrow multiple songs from Leone's Dollars Trilogy. In the end all this adds up to make The Good the Bad and the Ugly in my opinion one of the greatest films of all time.

probably the best western ever made

Author: glenxxvi from United Kingdom
15 June 2007

i first saw this film in about 2003. i had seen A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS and FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE on the television and i thought they were really good so i decided to buy them on DVD. Searching the shops for them i found that they came in a box set with a third film, THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY. I hadn't seen THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY at the time but I liked the first two so I thought that I would buy the whole box set, as that was all that was available at the time. What I didn't realise until after I watched all three was how great THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY was and I thought that the first two were good. it turned out that THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY was the best of the three. THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY was probably the only film I had ever bought on DVD without having seen it before and I'm SO glad I did. This film is excellent and although i have seen it many times it still stands up well after multiple viewings. it may be nearly three hours long but it is never boring. all the elements work so well (music, acting, dialogue, setting etc...) i can't really find fault in it. i liked it so much i bought the special edition DVD just to see the extra footage incorporated into the film. if you've not seen this, then rent it because i guarantee you'll soon be buying it shortly afterwards

My comment

Author: bilowkojy from Ireland
11 June 2007

Quentin Tarantino has called it "the best-directed film of all time." For me it is a majestic film. Sergio Leone is the greatest director. He is the complete artist, stylist. His films have a specially charm, though are full of the outrage. They are can watch for hundred times. It is a quality of the great artist what was S.Leone. The fine story, with a wonderful photography and adequate music of the greatest film music composer E. Morricone plus the rhythm generates a masterpiece. Does not need forget the excellent actors whose merit is the big for a global impression.

Thanks!

Bilow

Second best movie in Leone's superb spaghetti western "trilogy".

Author: Infofreak from Perth, Australia
20 July 2003

Most people choose 'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly' as the best of Sergio Leone's superb spaghetti western "trilogy" (I'm putting trilogy in inverted commas because the three movies actually have no connection to each other, and Clint Eastwood, despite the "Man With No Name" tag, plays a different character in each). Now it's a very close call I admit, but as much as I love this movie I'm inclined to choose the one before it 'For A Few Dollars More' as my favourite. Anyway, this is still a superb piece of pure entertainment, and Leone's movies had a massive impact on not just the western genre but action and adventure movies of all kinds. Clint Eastwood is super cool playing "Blondie" just as he was as Joe in the first movie and Monco in the second. FAFDM added a strong supporting character by Lee Van Cleef, TGTBATU continues that (though Van Cleef is playing a completely different guy) and also brings in Eli Wallach as Tuco, who adds some nice comic touches. Blondie and Tuco have lots of great scenes together, but I could have done with a lot more Angel Eyes (Van Cleef), one of the greatest screen villains of all time. Having three strong roles instead of just Eastwood is one of the great things about this movie. Another great thing is the unforgettable score by Morricone. Morricone did some of his most memorable work with Leone, and this could just be the best of the lot. Certainly the main theme (a massive hit single in the late 1960s as covered by Hugo Montenegro) is one of the most recognisable and original pieces of film music ever. Another standout is the spectacular bridge scene, surely a direct inspiration for Peckinpah's 'The Wild Bunch', a movie which owed Leone a sizable debt in my opinion. It's very difficult to pick this movie apart and single out what is so great about it as it really works as a whole. There's almost nothing wrong with it. It's one of the greatest westerns ever made and a hugely enjoyable movie that is just as compelling on your tenth viewing as your first. If you haven't seen it before I still think watching 'A Fistful Of Dollars' and 'For A Few Dollars More' first is the smartest movie, despite the three movies being a trilogy in name only, and each of the three being able to stand alone. Each movie is brilliant stuff and each comes with my highest recommendation. Movies don't get much more entertaining than this!