IMDb > The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly More at IMDbPro »Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo. (original title)

Page 4 of 70: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Wonderful

Author: bas rutten from Eindhoven, the Netherlands
25 December 2007

I must admit that I had some doubts prior to seeing this movie, considering its length and some people's comments that it is slow as molasses. Well, they were mostly right about that. GB & U is indeed a movie that does not always move very fast, and it does take a little getting used to. Yet if you manage to look past the slowness, this is easily one of the best movies ever made.

This is one of those movies where nearly everything comes together in exactly the right way. First of all, there is a wonderful cast of characters. Clint Eastwood is at his best as the 'Good' (even though he's not strictly a good guy but more a bad guy with an honor code), Lee van Cleef is so truly evil that you'll long for his downfall with a passion, and Eli Wallach steals the show as the 'Ugly', turning him into a character that you'll root for even though he's quite clearly the least trustworthy character you'll ever meet.

These wonderful characters engage in a quite complex plot full of twists and turns, as they are constantly trying to outwit and outshoot each other. There's quite a lot going on and in spite of the fact that the tone of the movie is actually fairly light (there is some truly good humor), it's actually a fairly good exploration of human nature and the lengths to which people will go to achieve their goals.

And then, there's the music of course. Ennio Morricone has always composed some very distinct and recognizable tunes, which unfortunately were not always that great by themselves. The music here, however, is absolutely one of the most memorable scores ever.

Of course, the cinematography is wonderful as well. The production values here seem to be a lot higher than in some previous Leone movies, and GB & U contains plenty of memorable shootouts that will truly keep you on the edge of your seat. At the same time, the gunmen here seem not nearly as invincible as in some other Leone movies, which greatly adds to the suspense.

As I said before, nearly everything comes together in this movie. Sure, it might be a bit slow, but it's got a great story of good versus evil, told in an impressive and truly epic way, with memorable characters and shootouts everywhere. Highly recommended

The best of the three and the best western ever.....

Author: Gunmaster45 from United States
8 September 2007

I spent all day watching all three movies and this one beats the other two and near every other western out there. (with a few exceptions...) Usually, Spaghetti westerns annoy me do to the cheesy noises, unrealistic shooting, and lots of bore. But this movie was different. Unlike the other two, this movie had lots of simple comedy. (Most from Eli Wallach's silliness and stupidity as Tuco adds a perfect sense of comic relief and Clint Eastwood's slickness and intelligence as Blondie makes him so.... cool. Lee Van Cleef does a perfect job as the villain giving a sinister performance. Instead of the fact that the slow parts in the first two movies were boring, this movie took advantage of long shots for suspense and to get a sense of things which is a great directing tool. (Kudos to Sergio Leone) I can surely see why this is #4 on the IMDb top 250. It feels more realistic than the other two movies. No whistling noises when things fall, suspenseful music(and very famous), stellar acting, and nice shoot outs. One of my favorite Clint Eastwood movies and one of my favorite westerns ever! A+. 10/10 Watch this one right away. (I recommend watching the new edition DVDs, the white cases, because the quality is better, the sound is great, and newer, and the dubbing is near impossible to spot.) Don't miss this or you will miss one of the greatest, classic movies ever made.

the greatest western ever

Author: koalablue_1993 from Australia
22 August 2007

The beautiful cinematography , the excellent music and great camera work make this a stylish masterpiece. With a volatile mix of myth and realism The Good The Bad And The Ugly is the best of the spaghetti westerns and the greatest western ever made.This is Clint Eastwood's 2nd best movie (the best is UNFORGIVEN) Elli Wallach was excellent as Tuco, he is the real star of the movie, he had the best lines . Lee Van Cleef plays the bad guy to perfection.Sergio Leone is at his very best here.And Ennio Morricone's music is outstanding like always. The man with no name will always be the best. Buy it and experience the spectacle and greatness of a western like no other.

A western masterpiece

Author: nnnn45089191 from Norway
1 July 2007

The third of Sergio Leone's trilogy of spaghetti westerns is his definitive masterpiece.This epic,sprawling western is graced by breathtaking photography, a fantastic score and Leone's masterful direction. The performances are all iconic with scene-stealer Eli Wallach the standout.The earlier films in the trilogy don't have the same tremendous sweep and scope.The dry and dark humor also elevates this classic to greater heights.Although I'm always somewhat annoyed by the acting of the Italian supporting cast, with their excessive macho laughing and some assorted weird characters,it doesn't detract from the enjoyment of these movies."The Good,the Bad and the Ugly" is in my opinion one of the best westerns ever made.

The most influential western ever.

Author: henrymadman from United Kingdom
16 June 2007

By far the most ambitious and unflinchingly graphic western ever mounted, THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY is an engrossing, explosive movie shot through with a volatile mix of myth and realism.

Clint Eastwood returns as the invincible 'man with no name' or 'blondie'. This time teaming with two gunlingers (Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach) to pursue a fortune in stolen gold. But teamwork doesn't come naturally to such strong-willed outlaws, and they soon discover that their greatest challenge may be to stay focused - and stay alive - in a country ravaged by war. Forging a vibrant yet detached style of action that had not been seen before, and has never been matched since, THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY.

back cover.

"Best climax" i have ever seen.

Author: samurai-vignesh from India
16 May 2007

This is the film which made an effect on me when i watched this movie. What a wonderful cinematography, i think they made a good effort to do such a cinematography. When tuco and Blondie plant the bomb in the bridge i thought the blasting scene will not be realistic, but shockingly the blast was very realistic and i wondered that how would have they did that scene, really extraordinary. The ultimate scene in the movie is, when tuco,"who was eager to know the name of the cemetery from bill Carson, will kick Blondie when he was lying beside bill, but when bill dies and Blondie says that he knows the name of the cemetery, tuco suddenly cares for Blondie. This film has an excellent duologue's by making to understand the viewer indirectly. I think this movie has a best climax than any other movie. Adios..........

The BEST western EVER

Author: Paul Furay from United Kingdom
22 April 2007

This has got to be, for me the best western film ever made. Got it on VHS and now DVD, I never tire of seeing it, a timeless classic. I always enjoy hearing the famous opening title theme. (it's 10 minutes into the film before anyone says anything). the film revolves around the 3 main characters, Eastwood, Wallach, Van Cleef. I thought Eli Wallach was brilliant as his role as tuco/the ugly. and Van Cleef as the the bad, with those eyes, was the perfect baddie.

The film really could be summed up as 3 gunslingers on there search for $100,000 of gold coins in a grave. Wallach knows the name of the cemetery and Eastwood knows the name of the grave. Van Cleef finds out by torturing Wallach when Eastwood and Wallach accidentally become P.o.W. The 3 men end up in the cemetery where there is a great showdown, one of the best the camera zooming into all 3 mens eyes and the music as well, classic stuff. Van Cleef ends up getting shot and Eastwood and Wallach split the gold.

The Good the Bad and the BEST

Author: Alex da Silva from United Kingdom
22 April 2007

This is the closest thing to perfection, with pure great action, pure story telling and pure acting from visionary director Sergio Leone who has directed the two prequels to The Good The Bad and The Ugly, they are a fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More. With Clint EastWood once again at the helm of the leading role delivers massive knockout performances as '' Blondie'' others in the supporting acting roles are Eli Wallach in the role of Tuco and the late Lee Van Cleef acting Angel Eyes. All of this though wouldn't have been possible without Sergio Leone, the man who set alight the Western frontier of films. Clint EastWood who has also been seen as one of the greatest Western actors of all time.

Nothing could be greater and more pure than to have a top of the world actor and a great visionary director. I just cant get over the acting from Clint and the breath taking action set pieces. In one sentence: Truly worth watching!!!

Great!

Author: OllieZ from Wolves, England
17 April 2007

Basically, if you have to see one western, watch this one. From the opening credits, you can tell its going to be a stylish, bloody ride.

What I admire most about this film is the attention to detail. Leone doesn't rush scenes; sometimes we have shots up to five minutes without dialogue.

Tension chews nearly every scene as we observe the eyes and hands of the characters. It's as much a film of greed and civil war, as it is about deception.

The acting is perfect all round. Clint, Wallach and Cleef are all amazing in their roles. They manage to live up to their roles of good, bad and ugly well, but it's not as clear cut as that. The characters in this film are all morally ambiguous and so they should be. At a time like the civil war, even the "good" can be "ugly".

Great direction, superb acting and amazing style. The film is very efficient at telling its story - and the ending is amazing.

Definitely watch this.

One of the greatest films ever made!

Author: Maciste_Brother from the rock
10 January 2007

And Sergio Leone had to show Hollywood how a western should be done. Earthy, gritty, moody, rambling, funny and just plain nasty too. One thing most people forget about the Sergio Leone Dollar trilogy films is that they were made when westerns were really staid and boring, with zero atmosphere and very mechanical. Then came these movies, with THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY being the last and the greatest of the three Dollar films. Cinema wasn't the same after it was released. And to show influential this film is, it transcended its "western" genre and influenced practically every type of films made after that. Heck, I'm not even a western fan and I thoroughly admire what Leone and the gang created here. It's big, bold, melancholic, lusty, giddy and operatic.

The thing I really love about THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY is the atmosphere. It's almost one kind. Never duplicated in any other film since (and that includes Clint Eastwood's dry cowboy flicks). One major contributing factor is obviously Ennio Morricone's unforgettable score, probably one of the greatest scores ever made. The music during the ending, when Tuco searches the cemetery, it's spine tinglingly powerful.

Of the three characters, Tuco steals the show. He's the heart and soul of film. It's probably Eli Wallach's greatest performance. He immersed himself in the role and, in the processed, really became Tuco.

My only complaint about THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY is that it is a low budget film and as expansive and epic as it is, the film sorta looks cheap. Practically everything was shot outside. There are few sets in the movie and when we are within four walls, the sets look, hmm, cheap. I just wished the production design was as expansive looking as the vision Leone had in mind. The film would have been perfect then. But that's something I can clearly overlook.

When I watch a movie like THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY, I get depressed. Depressed because at one time films were actually amazing, groundbreaking and entertaining. The 1960s were one of the greatest era in movie-making. Sadly today's films don't even come close to the stunning creative output of that decade. They should re-release THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY on the big screen. It's a classic film.