IMDb > The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly More at IMDbPro »Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (original title)

Page 11 of 83: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Author: shhimundercoverdamnit from Seattle, WA
11 February 2008

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Hey, Blond! You know what you are? Just the greatest son-of-a-b-! Sergio Leone was a director of boundless vision and ambition, a man with no little ideas. Everything you see is big, and ambitious. In a film that runs about 180 minutes... One could argue that Leone tells the story more with pictures than in words.

Thus is The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. A story of three men who are all after the same fortune of Civil War gold. In fact, the secret of its location is spread out among them (one knows the cemetery but not the grave, and the other knows the name but not the cemetery). The men involved are Clint Eastwood ( The Good), Lee Van Cleef ( the Bad) and Eli Wallach ( the Ugly). Each man knows that they will remain alive until the grave is found.....but just as it always is- it is more than likely that each of them will try to kill the others for the gold.

They are also men who really never need to explain anything, their eyes and actions could simply be deemed more important than their words. ( The obsession in Van Cleef's eyes) Though, Eastwood's character. Blondie. ( The Man With No Name) says very little, Eli Wallach's: Tuco never stops.

In fact, some of the best dialgue from the film is of Wallach's 'speeches' about the differences between people. 'You can be one thing or you can be another.' He compares himself to Blondie, and to his own brother, who became a priest. However...... Blondie has the last word! Though there is no shortage of ideas in the film, there is also a film within a film. Thus, a grand Civil War sequence. One of the best scenes from the film is a scene in which a Union Army Captain ( Aldo Giuffre) explains the war to the best of his ability. The commander who has the most booze to get his troops drunk before the battle is the one who wins. However, probably my favorite scene from the film was the haunting runaway wagon scene. That cemetery scene with Wallach stumbling around is also a highlight.

Sergio Leone The Master Of Film Making

Author: (Pulpthatsfiction) from Minnesota
9 October 2007

Sergio Leone is one of the best directors to ever touch a camera and this film proves that he is a master. The camera work of this film is brilliant. This also Clint Eastwood Best Film and also the other actors best film. I am shock that this film didn't get any Oscars and it has Oscars written all over it. This film should be honored and praise for it's brilliant film making, acting and it's cornerstone of film making. Sergio ranks as top 3 film maker of all time due to this films brilliant close ups and the length of the events that happen. Leone first when he was casting for the main role he wanted to cast Henry Fonda but could not afford him so he got Clint Eastwood and I'm glad that happen. This film also has one of the best villains of all time angle eyes also Tuco does a great job too. I must this film is a true masterpiece due to it's classic feel to and having the best gunfight ever. I highly recommend this film to anyone and if you like this one I highly recommend Sergio Leone Other Films.

Music and footage - piece of art which haunts me to this day

Author: mejiasam from United States
17 February 2007

The Mexican Standoff or the part where the trio stare each other down with the music of Enrico and the spinning is very very cool and sets this movie apart from other Westerns. I still don't know why he Tucco calls him Blondie but that is the beauty - looks like brown to me. Also, when Tucco can't tell the difference between the Blue and Gray, and to his surprise along with Blondie's biting sarcasm, is priceless. Guess Eli can't see very well.... My son who is studying film at Yale believes this to be one of the better films for all other kinds of reasons...It is very much a black comedy and yet set the tone for other movies to feature anti-heroes. I recommend the entire trio along with Antonio Banderas as the El Marachi.

WOW!! This movie blew me away!!!

Author: Ben Dale from Harwich, United Kingdom
29 November 2006

Well, I've never really been into westerns, but I brought the special edition 2 disc edition of the movie on special offer as I'd heard it was good. Good?? Good?? Just got round to watching it today as it is nearly three hours long and was amazed at how fantastic it was. I was hooked from the opening credits (well who can't be with THAT theme tune!!!!) I loved every minute of this film. Awesome acting, brilliant location and breathtaking musical score!! Could easily have gone right back to the start and watched it all over again. I actually watched The Godfather the day before and really wasn't that impressed with it. This movie should be number one for sure. It's really tense, edge of your set viewing. If you haven't seen it, I fully recommend it. Absolutely mind blowing!!!

ELI WALLACH WAS THE STAR !

Author: whpratt1 from United States
7 November 2003

As many times as I have viewed this film, I greatly admire the entire picture for just plain enjoyable entertainment and seeing great actors such as Clint Eastwood (Joe)"Absolute Power"'97 and the entire cast make this an all time classic. However, Eli Wallach (Tuco)" Mackenna's Gold" '69 put his very heart and soul into his film role and gave a fantastic performance that over powered the entire cast. Trying to put this film under a magnifying glass and trying to be critical and tearing it into little pieces is not necessary, just sit back and enjoy a great masterpiece of GOOD ENTERTAINMENT !

A review for young audiences

Author: utku_kamil_ozen (utku_kamil_ozen@hotmail.com) from Turkey
29 September 2017

After finally having watched this masterpiece, I felt the urge to write this review for young audiences like myself who have little or no interest in the western genre. Because If you haven't seen one of those films before, there is an intimidating side of them, you just feel apprehensive. To an outsider, they all look similar, as if every image you have seen about any western film belongs to one single film. They look kind of boring. And now that I have seen this film, I can tell that it was a great experience. Of course, I cannot make general statements about the genre just because I've seen one film. But seeing this broke my prejudice. And even if you feel like you can never enjoy western, you should make an exception to see this one. Having said that, I must warn you it is a slow burner. First half hour was a challenge for me, but after that it started to get interesting. So I advice patience.

I also want to say a few things about the film itself. I don't know a lot of actors from old films, this may be the first time I've watched Eli Wallach. He is great in this film. It was his performance that caught my attention for the film after the aforementioned difficult half hour. I can't tell the same thing about Clint Eastwood though. I don't know if it was part of the character or something, but his acting consisted of a lot of squinting, grimacing and whispering his dialog in a monotonous speech.

Story was the strongest part of the film, it reminded me of Quentin Tarantino's films, though it is not a coincidence, Tarantino is known to be influenced by a lot of western films and he named many of them as his favorites. But the dialogue is not as powerful and interesting as Tarantino's, though it is not a weakness of the film either. The main plot is complicated in the most positive way and there are a lot of details that touches your heart, like when Tuco meets with his brother and the Union Captain that wanted to hear that bridge blown up before he passes.

I don't think I should talk much about Ennio Morricone's music. It is just awesome and the soundtrack is so iconic it is recognized by almost everybody regardless whether they've seen the film or not. Such a powerful music, it gives you an adrenaline rush.

I am pretty sure I'll re-watch this film many times again. And because of this film, I might delve into other westerns. And I'll also look into Eli Wallach's filmography for I am much impressed with his performance.

One last thing, a bizarre sensation came upon me during watching the film. I wonder if these films will get more and more irrelevant and even awkward perhaps for the future audiences. When some guy from the year, say, 3017 watches this, will he feel utterly perplexed? And not just because of what's happening, too. His frame of references will be so different than ours, he might not even get the simplest dialogues...

Best Western Movie Ever.

Author: anandkumar139 from India
31 August 2017

A must watch movie for everyone. It is a quite long film but still it never ever gets boring. The slow pace works just perfect for the films tone and style. An impressive combination of great humor and hard violence that works just perfect, impressive because it never feels awkward like one might fear it would get. The style of the action is perfectly done and like stated it is quite violent maybe more than one might suspect if you don't know anything about the movie. The characters are superb, Clint Eastwood is of course the best and the coolest. The bad is a really brilliant villain and the ugly is great comic relief. Even though this might seem like a light weight no depth movie with stereotype characters, it's not because they are so well done and brilliantly acted that the viewer gets a stronger feeling for them than any other film like this. I highly recommend this film to everyone.

Third time is the charm

Author: hall895 from New Jersey
28 May 2015

Clint Eastwood is good, Lee Van Cleef is bad and Eli Wallach is ugly. Sorry about that, Eli. Eastwood again plays the Man with No Name whom we have already seen in A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More. Our hero, this time referred to as Blondie, may be "good" compared to the other two leading characters but having seen the first two films we know he is not the traditional all-American hero. He's not all good, he's more complex than that. There's not much complexity to Angel Eyes, the character played by Van Cleef. This guy is bad to the bone. Meanwhile Wallach threatens to steal the show. He plays Tuco and this is a guy who, in an otherwise very quiet movie, never shuts up. Good, bad and ugly are searching for $200,000 in Confederate gold known to be buried in a cemetery. It's a very simple plot for a very long movie but the time flies by. Director Sergio Leone ratchets up the tension and keeps you on the edge of your seat.

The events of this film, unfolding during the Civil War, actually take place prior to the events of the first two films in the Dollars Trilogy. And the war certainly intrudes on the story, causing complications for our characters in their desperate search for that gold. A big war battle scene lends a bit of grandeur that the first two films didn't have. Leone is making a film of much larger scale this time around. But while the war looms over everything this is still a story about our hero and the two companions he would very much like to be rid of. There are great twists and turns as at different times in the movie different members of the trio have the upper hand. Sometimes you're at the top, sometimes you're at the bottom, sometimes you're forced into an unholy alliance with your great adversary. All along the way there is much drama. And along with the drama there is plenty of action too. This is a movie which grabs your attention right at the start and holds it throughout.

Blondie is the nominal hero, making Eastwood the nominal star. And, as already established in the prior two films, Eastwood suits the role perfectly. He's the perfect embodiment of the quiet, cunning, not totally heroic hero. Van Cleef played a good guy, more or less, in For a Few Dollars More. This time around he gets to play a total baddie and he sinks his teeth into the role with great relish. Wallach is a little over-the-top but delightfully so. Tuco is a crazed, maniacal character and Wallach pours his heart into his performance. He brings so much energy to the film. Three great actors, three great characters. Leone could hardly go wrong. And the film has so much more to offer. With breathtaking visuals and a truly memorable score the film both looks and sounds spectacular. Story, actors, cinematography, music. This film is the total package. It is certainly the best of the Dollars Trilogy, this is the Man with No Name's greatest adventure. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is often found on short lists of the greatest films ever made. That kind of acclaim may be overselling things just a touch. But there is no doubt this is a very good film, a thrilling last chapter in the story of one of the most iconic characters to ever grace the screen.

The Good

Author: wizzardSS from United Kingdom
8 August 2012

And so concludes the Spaghetti Western Dollars Trilogy. Following A Fistful of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More, The Good, The Bad And The Ugly is the final film in Sergio Leone's trilogy that redefined the traditional American western.

Many people have described this film as the best Western ever made. Without a doubt, as a standalone film, The Good, The Bad And The Ugly is simply superb. The complex relationships between the three protagonists had me on the edge of my seat throughout the film, never knowing if they were going to work together or kill each other in cold blood.

The soundtrack too is utterly iconic. While I associated the predecessor's tones with cowboy music, I often associate the whole Western genre with The Good, The Bad And The Ugly's backing tune. It has also become quintessential as the accompanying music to any stand off, whether it be in a parody or simply on the school playground.

Any fan of the series will know that Eastwood's character appears alongside van Cleef's character in For A Few Dollars More. This would be my only criticism of The Good, The Bad And The Ugly, as this previous relationship has been forgotten (or is cleverly disguised in the fickleness of the characters) as they both appear to not know the other exists.

As a result of the latter paragraph, I have literally spent days deliberating over whether to mark the film down. It did make the film more confusing for me - but only as I'd seen the previous two films in the trilogy. But, crucially, Sergio Leone's trilogy is rarely marketed as a trilogy set piece and the films can be watched standalone. Anyone who watches The Good, The Bad And The Ugly by itself will happily watch the film in sweet ignorant bliss of my character confusion.

So, as a standalone film, The Good, The Bad And The Ugly is the pinnacle of Sergio Leone's Western renaissance. Simply brilliant.

One of the best, maybe the best Western ever!

Author: Jona1988 from Finland
16 September 2010

This is the definitive of the so called Spaghetti Westerns. Everything about it is so great. For a rare this Man with no name trilogy is one that just got better and better for each film. Sure all three are stand-alone adventures but Sergio Leone really got it perfect here.

This film absolutely has it all, the action, violence, humor, great characters and the music. Clint Eastwood is always cool but as a cowboy he is the coolest. The man with no name so though, secretive, fearless, hard facial expression, cool clothing. It is a quite long film but still it never ever gets boring. The slow pace works just perfect for the films tone and style. An impressive combination of great humor and hard violence that works just perfect, impressive because it never feels awkward like one might fear it would get. The style of the action is perfectly done and like stated it is quite violent maybe more than one might suspect if you don't know anything about the movie. The characters are superb, Clint Eastwood is of course the best and the coolest. The bad is a really brilliant villain and the ugly is great comic relief. Even though this might seem like a light weight no depth movie with stereotype characters, it's not because they are so well done and brilliantly acted that the viewer gets a stronger feeling for them than any other film like this. Sure the story is not that deep but it's neither predictable, just perfectly balanced. Then the music, must be among the best ever for a Western film, especially at the ending such a feeling it gives. It brilliantly helps build up the suspense in the action.

It's hard to put in words how good this film is. A classic that most have seen and those few who haven't should. Maybe the best in it's genre and even outside it's group I would rank it among my top movies ever. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is a timeless classic.