IMDb > The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly More at IMDbPro »Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (original title)

Page 11 of 76: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

The best movie ever made

Author: ioustinianos5 from Greece
3 October 2006

Sergio Leone is the definition of artist and director. This movie is just the masterpiece of the art of cinema. The pictures, the dialogs, the actors, the location, the music, everything in that movie makes you feel that what you see is art. There is harmony, rhythm and especially there is realism in that film, something that's missing from the typical westerns. When i first saw that movie i felt like a car had run over me. Since then i still feel the same way when i see that film. Despite the large amount of films that i have seen since then this movie still remains the best film i have ever seen. I think Leone was a man with a very certain idea about cinema that personally finds me agreed. Of course that's just my opinion and i just want you to respect it.

Greatest Western of all time

Author: Lucas Ellis from Winter Springs
25 July 2005

Clint Eastwood stars as the man without a name again in this western about three gunslingers who all end up looking for the same treasure of 200,000 in gold.

The movie is the western of all westerns. Clint Eastwood's first major role is in this movie. Sergio Leone does a great job and leaves his legacy with this movie. The close ups are amazing. Facial expressions are very key to this movie which has very little dialogue at times. The music is awesome. You know the tune...du du du, wa wa wa wa.Overall, it is the greatest western of all time.

I highly recommend this western.

ELI WALLACH WAS THE STAR !

Author: whpratt1 from United States
7 November 2003

As many times as I have viewed this film, I greatly admire the entire picture for just plain enjoyable entertainment and seeing great actors such as Clint Eastwood (Joe)"Absolute Power"'97 and the entire cast make this an all time classic. However, Eli Wallach (Tuco)" Mackenna's Gold" '69 put his very heart and soul into his film role and gave a fantastic performance that over powered the entire cast. Trying to put this film under a magnifying glass and trying to be critical and tearing it into little pieces is not necessary, just sit back and enjoy a great masterpiece of GOOD ENTERTAINMENT !

Overly-long western with iconic scenes and sadistic scenes

Author: gregory_quinn from United States
28 July 2015

Of the "dollar trilogy", this is the last, and for me, certainly not the best. The plot line is meandering and it's simply too long for the content. By the time that both Eastwood and Leoni had gotten this far, they had both "made it" in professional terms. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly was the first studio (UA) financed film that Eastwood had starred in and Leoni had produced/directed. Eastwood's role as the man with no name was beginning to jump the shark in this movie and he correctly decided not to appear in Leoni's following movie, Once Upon A Time in the West. For sure it contains iconic scenes, which are often beautifully photographed, but also contains sadistic violence, which even now I find shocking. Part of great filmmaking is plotting an adventure that lasts mosts people's attention span of about 90-120 minutes. This is a 60 minute story in a 180 minute movie.

The Good

Author: wizzardSS from United Kingdom
8 August 2012

And so concludes the Spaghetti Western Dollars Trilogy. Following A Fistful of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More, The Good, The Bad And The Ugly is the final film in Sergio Leone's trilogy that redefined the traditional American western.

Many people have described this film as the best Western ever made. Without a doubt, as a standalone film, The Good, The Bad And The Ugly is simply superb. The complex relationships between the three protagonists had me on the edge of my seat throughout the film, never knowing if they were going to work together or kill each other in cold blood.

The soundtrack too is utterly iconic. While I associated the predecessor's tones with cowboy music, I often associate the whole Western genre with The Good, The Bad And The Ugly's backing tune. It has also become quintessential as the accompanying music to any stand off, whether it be in a parody or simply on the school playground.

Any fan of the series will know that Eastwood's character appears alongside van Cleef's character in For A Few Dollars More. This would be my only criticism of The Good, The Bad And The Ugly, as this previous relationship has been forgotten (or is cleverly disguised in the fickleness of the characters) as they both appear to not know the other exists.

As a result of the latter paragraph, I have literally spent days deliberating over whether to mark the film down. It did make the film more confusing for me - but only as I'd seen the previous two films in the trilogy. But, crucially, Sergio Leone's trilogy is rarely marketed as a trilogy set piece and the films can be watched standalone. Anyone who watches The Good, The Bad And The Ugly by itself will happily watch the film in sweet ignorant bliss of my character confusion.

So, as a standalone film, The Good, The Bad And The Ugly is the pinnacle of Sergio Leone's Western renaissance. Simply brilliant.

One of the best, maybe the best Western ever!

Author: Jona1988 from Finland
16 September 2010

This is the definitive of the so called Spaghetti Westerns. Everything about it is so great. For a rare this Man with no name trilogy is one that just got better and better for each film. Sure all three are stand-alone adventures but Sergio Leone really got it perfect here.

This film absolutely has it all, the action, violence, humor, great characters and the music. Clint Eastwood is always cool but as a cowboy he is the coolest. The man with no name so though, secretive, fearless, hard facial expression, cool clothing. It is a quite long film but still it never ever gets boring. The slow pace works just perfect for the films tone and style. An impressive combination of great humor and hard violence that works just perfect, impressive because it never feels awkward like one might fear it would get. The style of the action is perfectly done and like stated it is quite violent maybe more than one might suspect if you don't know anything about the movie. The characters are superb, Clint Eastwood is of course the best and the coolest. The bad is a really brilliant villain and the ugly is great comic relief. Even though this might seem like a light weight no depth movie with stereotype characters, it's not because they are so well done and brilliantly acted that the viewer gets a stronger feeling for them than any other film like this. Sure the story is not that deep but it's neither predictable, just perfectly balanced. Then the music, must be among the best ever for a Western film, especially at the ending such a feeling it gives. It brilliantly helps build up the suspense in the action.

It's hard to put in words how good this film is. A classic that most have seen and those few who haven't should. Maybe the best in it's genre and even outside it's group I would rank it among my top movies ever. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is a timeless classic.

Leone and Eastwood define the American "cool"

Author: Movie_Muse_Reviews from IL, USA
31 March 2009

"The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" is cool with brains. Most other action films, especially westerns, are celebrations of cool, but this film masters cool -- heck, practically invents it -- and also applies it sensibly. Nothing is merely for cool's sake, it is for the sake of telling a story full of mistrust as well as one that searches for depth in the blanket adjectives of its title.

Set in the West during the Civil War, the film identifies its characters right away: The Good, Blondie (Eastwood), The Bad, Angel Eyes (Lee Van Cleef), and The Ugly, Tuco (Eli Wallach). Each is after nothing but money, making the word associations merely relative to the principles that they live by. Distrusting of one another, they are soon forced to work together -- specifically Tuco and Blondie -- in order to find 200 K in buried gold, because one of them knows which cemetery it's buried in and the other knows which grave.

Gold is also every word that comes out of Clint Eastwood's mouth. Although his body of work today is enough proof of his talent, he clearly owes much of his career to director/writer Sergio Leone. In this their third western collaboration, Leone knows what Eastwood's strengths are and he gives him some killer lines. Every man supposedly wants to be James Bond, but every American man should want to be Blondie. Every time he speaks, you know you're either going to be impressed or enlightened with his machismo and/or wisdom. Wallach is also invaluable to the film as Tuco. He keeps things interesting playing a money- grubbing rat. In a film of this length, he helps keep things from getting too serious and dull.

Leone also hones his craft in this movie. His gritty close-ups and split-second gunfire shots give this film its style, suspense and power. There's some "it" quality to his film-making that is hard to describe, but every shot feels important or at the least cool. Distinct "chapter" breaks also contribute to the Western mythos/tall tale idea that has made the genre an important one of the 20th century. There is a clear journey-like story line that recalls what made Homer's "The Odyssey" one of the first great Western (in the global sense) literary classics. There is a clear objective with obvious obstacles, unlikely partnerships and plenty of surprises.

If all that wasn't enough, there's the score. Ennio Morricone not only provides one of the most memorable themes in movie music history, but the timing of the music, the way it lifts the important scenes up into a realm of cinematic immortality is unlike anything before or since it. It's exciting and epic when it needs to and it's suspenseful and emotional when the action gets intense. With so much silence in this film, picking the right moments to break it is challenging, but Morricone nails it. And if it doesn't do all that for you, well, it's still cool.

"The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" proves that all three of those descriptors are relative. It's no great revelation, but it's interesting to see how you watch and form opinions of characters assigned to general moral stereotypes and then to see how those opinions are affected as the film goes on. If that's too deep, than at the least you can appreciate how cool everything is.

Impressive western, masterful music

Author: Lucabrasisleeps from India
1 January 2009

So I have seen my first classic Western finally. This is a genre I tried my best to avoid. I am more into thrillers. But this one was special.

The plot is interesting in itself. 3 men are determined to get to the cash box that was buried under the ground in a certain place(trying my best not to reveal the plot here!). The excitement is in watching the many twists unfold. The characters are known as Blondie, Tuco and Angel eyes. The real names of the characters are not revealed here. We come to know a little more about Tuco in the course of the movie. It could be said that Tuco is the central character in this movie as he appears in most of the movie. The plot moves throughout America and they go in search of the cash box even to war torn areas. The story is set in the late 1800's during the civil war. So the movie also effectively works as an anti-war movie as well.

The most impressive thing about this movie is the great music by the legend Ennio Morricone. This might be the best ever music I have ever heard in movies. Maybe that's an exaggeration but surely this is one of the best. The music in the scene where Tuco searches frantically for the cash box is filmed brilliantly and the music builds into a crescendo at the end of the scene. Another aspect that impressed me is the beautiful cinematography in certain scenes of the movie. The long shots showing the beauty of the place are absolutely breathtaking. The war scenes are shot well and I was surprised to hear about the budget. With this budget I was surprised to see the advanced effects and the meticulous depiction of the war.

I also came to understand a few things about a part of history I didn't know - the American Civil war. The bridge destruction scene is also another one I totally loved. The closeups of the character's faces is also another feature that I liked specifically about the movie - especially when they are actors with such great screen presence such as Clint Eastwood and Eli Wallach. I have never thought of Clint Eastwood as particularly good looking or talented. But this movie proved me wrong. His performance as the calm bounty hunter with a sense of humour enhanced his image considerably in my eyes. His quiet sexiness is something I have never seen in other movies of his(Maybe I am biased because I saw only his newer movies). Lee Van Cleef is notable for his portrayal of the villain. Eli Wallach's portrayal of the crooked and funny Tuco is IMO one of the best characters in movies ever. His line "When you want to shoot, shoot, don't talk" has become one of my favourite quotes as well.

Finally this movie has encouraged me to seek out more "Sphagetti Westerns" and regular classic Westerns as well. The movie is quite a classic and is highly recommended for all movie fans because it is more of an exciting adventure movie with beautiful camera-work than a Western.

See it in High Definition

Author: Don McIntosh from Canada
18 September 2008

HDNet just broadcast "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" in High Definition. I haven't seen the film for many years and I was astounded.

It is not apparently available on Blu-ray yet so try to catch it on HDNet. I hope they repeat it. The DVD cannot do it justice.

In spite of historical inaccuracies, some preposterous scenarios and other plot weaknesses, brutal violence, some awful acting, and lip-sync problems with the Italian actors, it is a great film that engaged me completely for three hours.

It is visually stunning with Leone's extreme close ups and its recreation of the time of the American Civil War. The protracted scenes (often whole stories in themselves) add to the visual poetry and to the evocation of the time.

It is Leone's homage to the classic American Western. It relies heavily on the standard Western conventions but it is not constrained by them. Leone does it with his tongue planted firmly in his cheek. It should not be taken literally or even seriously and should be enjoyed for what it is.

The characters are multidimensional. Eastwood's non-acting and Wallach's over the top performance add to rather than detract from the movie.

It is possibly the most accurate portrayal of the American Civil War on film, showing it as the brutal and senseless conflict that it was.

Its comments on greed, violence and human nature are poignant and yet the humor leavens the lessons.

Stylish Classic

Author: Naren Balaji from India
1 August 2008

I don't generally like "Western" genre movies because they romanticize violence. But, this movie was an exception. It is so stylishly made that it is difficult to criticize its portrayal of violence. Director Sergio Leone has transformed a simple treasure hunt story into a finely crafted piece of art. Even though the movie is pretty long and slow moving, it still keeps you engaged till the end with its many, unexpected twists and turns. The background music is brilliant and conveys the feel of an anarchic and violent climate. The actors fit their character roles perfectly, especially Eli Wallach as Tuco. Though, I would not rate this as the best movie ever made, I would certainly agree that it is one the greatest movies of the last century.