- The full Italian version runs about 174m.
- The "International Export" version supervised by Leone runs 161m - this is the version available on VHS, laserdisc and DVD in the UK and USA. The other 14m were never dubbed into English - these additional sequences appear as extras on both the UK and USA DVD releases and the last laserdisc release.
- In the UK the theatrical release was cut by the BBFC and ran to a similar run time of 161m due to distributor cuts and censorship cuts - the main distributor cut was the removal of the entire scene with Eli Wallach in the gun shop; the censors hacked about 2m out of the scene when Wallach is tortured by Mario Brega in the prison. It is believed the 1986 UK VHS contains this BBFC cut since later videos from 1999 are slightly longer (c. 1 minute). UK videos and DVD's released from 1999 are uncut and run 161m (156m PAL running time). Various other scenes may have been filmed but excised by Leone before release. One of the laserdisc releases contains a still on the inside cover of Eastwood in bed with a woman that has never appeared in any version of the film.
- The first additional scene (the longest) comes right after Tuco failed to hang Blondie. Sentenza tracks Bill Carson and investigates among derelict confederate soldiers. He learns that the 3rd regiment has flown through the desert "which is not much better than the Union prison."[DAY]
- After the scene in the desert where Bill Carson shares his secret, Tuco, steering the carriage in a grey uniform, asks a group of confederate soldiers where he can find a doctor for Blondie. He says he is Bill Carson then learns that the San Antonio mission is just a few miles away. [NIGHT]
- While Tuco enjoys his railroad trip (with Corporal Wallace) Sentenza and Blondie are on their way to the cimetery. They stopped for the night by a river. Strangers show up, Blondie shots one and then learn they're Sentenza's henchmen. There are 5 new comrades plus Sentenza. Blondie: "6 - the perfect number." Sentenza: "I thought 3 was the perfect number." Blondie: "Yes but in my gun there's room for 6 bullets."