IMDb > "It's About Time" (1966) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Whimsical, Charming series from the Wonderful, Campy 60's

Author: Enrique Sanchez from Miami, FL
7 September 2001

I think a LOT more people remember this series than you think. Everyone over 40 I ask remembers it clearly and NO ONE has forgotten the spritely, catchy musical theme. "It's about time, It's about space, It's about people in the strangest place...."

Amazing that something should hold OUT in one's mind after SO MANY years without exposure to it. It must have been a great series for your average 9-10 year old kid.

If SCI-FI.com won't bring this back...at least TVLAND should!

I can close my eyes and see Gronk (Joe E. Ross) grunting and grimacing (ooh..ooh!).

Clean entertainment folks, a rare commodity.

I'm not crazy, what a relief!

Author: rain7z from Oregon
17 July 2001

Mostly because of the theme song this TV show has stayed with me for 32 years. Yet, if I ever asked anyone else if they remembered it (singing the song in hopes of loosening a memory) they would look at me as though I was truly mad. It was a silly, stupid show ... like a mutant creation through the coupling of Gilligan's Island and Lost In Space ... and I loved it! I was nine, what did I know? Still, I would like to see it again to find out if the pictures in my head match.

Later in this forum someone calling themselves Mariner719 will mention that the rendition of the theme song was twisted among his/her peers to, "It's about time, it's about space, it's about time to slap your face." No fear Mariner719, I had equally bizarre peers. :)

I loved this show when I was 8!

Author: Axella Johannesson from Victoria, Australia
25 September 2004

I really enjoyed this show when I was 8 years old! And as someone mentioned, one day it simply disappeared, without a trace.

Would I still love it now? Who knows? Time travel is always an interesting concept (even as goofy at it is here), and transporting cave people (who speak English!) to "modern" times would probably still be funny... But I used to love "Gilligan's Island" back then, and can't stand it now, so it's hard to say.

Still, it brings back good memories.

I have never seen reruns of it, but it wasn't even a full 'season' worth of shows (back then, 39 episodes a year was the norm, leaving 13 weeks open for "summer replacement" shows). I don't know why only 26 episodes were made. It must've rated pretty poorly at the time.

Here are the original, and amended, theme songs:

It's about time, it's about space, About two men in the strangest place. It's about time, it's about flight - Traveling faster than the speed of light. This is the tale of the brave crew As through the barrier of time they flew. Past a fighting minuteman, Past an armored knight, Past a Roman warrior, To this ancient site. It's about caves, cavemen too, About a time when the earth was new. Wait'll they see what is in sight! Is it good luck or is it good night? It's about two astronauts, it's about their fate, It's about a woman and her prehistoric mate.

It's about time, it's about space, About two men in the strangest place. They will be here right on this spot No matter if they like it or not. How will they live in this primitive state? Will help ever come before it is too late? Will they ever get away? Watch each week and see! Will they be returning to the 20th Century? It's about time for our goodbyes To all these prehistoric gals and guys. IT'S ABOUT TIME!

When the show's concept changed mid-season and the cave people moved to 20th century New York, the theme song changed as well:

It's about time, it's about space, About cave-people in the strangest place. It's about time, it's about flight- Traveling faster than the speed of light. About cave-people and the brave crew As through the barrier of time they flew. Past a Roman warrior, past an armored knight, Past a fighting minuteman to this modern site. It's about time for you and me To meet these people from 1,000,000 BC. It's about two astronauts and how they educate A prehistoric woman and her prehistoric mate.

It's about time, it's about space, About cave-people in the strangest place.

They will be here with all of us, dodging a taxi, car or bus. Where will they go? What will they do In this strange place where everything is new? Will they manage to survive? Watch each week and see. Will they get accustomed to the 20th Century? It's about time for our goodbyes To all these prehistoric gals and guys. IT'S ABOUT TIME!

Not a total failure

Author: noah.phelps from Dayton, Ohio
4 March 2001

In reply to the comment that this series was a failure, I must disagree. It not only lasted a whole season, it came back for part of another. In the second season, the astronauts and the two main cave-characters repaired the spaceship and returned to the present. I can't remember if the second series lasted the entire season, but I enjoy both the episodes in the past and in the present. These are, of course, the reminiscences of a 43 year old man remembering the long ago days of his 9th year of life. I have several times asked the SCI-FI channel to consider running the episodes to see if they would seem the same today as that time 35 years in the past.

I thought I had imagined it...!

Author: anubis-45 from Melbourne, Australia
6 May 2006

It is indeed a pleasure to read that someone else in this VAST UNIVERSE has heard of, and remembers the comedy series "It's About Time", for I thought that I was the only one...

I mentioned it to my Dad the other day, and he couldn't recall it....(I am 55 and he is 80!!) All I really remember is the two astronauts, stuck in the time-shift which brings them back to ancient civilization, and the fact that "over the hill" and "other side of valley" were significant.

The laughs then sort of come at you, like an episode of "F Troop", but it is still a long time ago...

The theme ("It's About Time, It's About Space,.....") has also stuck in my head over the years, and I would love to see it on DVD.

I am not THE ONLY ONE....

It's About Time

Author: helencamp00 from Australia
12 September 2005

I remember watching this show as a child of about 11 or 12 and even remember the theme song, although I do get mixed up in the words from the original story and the spin off story when the 'primatives' return to the present. I don't remember any of the episodes except I know I just really enjoyed the show. My children think I'm crazy when I am prompted by one of them saying "It's about time...." and I start to song the theme song - "It's about time, it's about space, it's about 2 people in the strangest place, etc.etc.....". It was really a nonsense show but good for a few (clean) laughs, something that is sadly missing on today's TV.

The theme song has stuck with me for years!

Author: Mariner719 from United States
14 August 2006

I remember this show only vaguely, but the theme song was a big hit with the school kids (I was in the 3rd grade when it came out) because we changed it as a joke on our friends. We'd sing: It's about time It's about space It's about time To slap your face (smack!) Then we'd run. Okay, it's juvenile, but we were only 8 years old! Nevertheless, that tune has stuck with me all these years. Did anyone else come up with this variation? For that matter, I believe the actual theme went: It's about time, it's about space, it's about two men in the strangest place...here is the tale of the brave crew, and through some very (ancient?) times they flew...past the fighting minuteman...past the armored knight...past the Roman warrior...to this ancient site. Let me know if I have that wrong, but I think that's how it was SUPPOSED to go, and no face slapping involved!

An amusing mid-sixties sitcom that holds up nicely.

Author: rdh7182373 from Westchester, New York
6 August 2001

***SLIGHT SPOILERS*** "It's About Time" was an amusing mid-sixties sitcom that holds up nicely for those who like "Gilligan's Island" type schtick. I recently purchased the entire series (26 episodes) on tape. The show grew on me as I watched it. It was nostalgic since I recalled many of the episodes when I saw them as a kid. Mullaney is a 'Gilligan' type character and Auletter similar to the 'Skipper'. Joe E. Ross ('Gronk') and Imogene Coco ('Chad') are goofy as the cave couple and Cliff Norton generates laughs as 'Boss' who tries to come up with excuses to kill the astronauts each episode. Mike Mazurski plays his henchman/executioner 'Clon'. A typical bit of business is Clon hearing Mullaney hiding in the bushes at night and saying 'Halt, who goes there?' Mullaney replies, 'no one'. Clon nods and says 'Ah, no one goes there' and walks away. The last part of the season is better than the first. The Astronauts bring back Ross, Coco and their kids to modern times. Ross accidently joins the Army in one episode. They try to give him an injection but he grabs the syringe and says "No more stick Gronk, Gronk stick you" and stabs him in the butt with the needle. In another episode Gronk and Chad go to night school in their animal skins and set the professor straight about prehistoric history. They changed the lyrics of the theme song and animated opening to compensate for the format change. Incredibly, the show does end with the Astronauts deciding not to turn the cave people over to the military to study and exploit them. They adopt them and presumably live happily ever after as an extended family in their Los Angeles apartment. I found it funnier than 'Gilligan's Island' and somewhat charming. It's worth reviving on TVland or some other venue.

Richard W. Haines

Our Favorite Childhood Memory

Author: Rick Stoppe (rstoppe@hotmail.com) from Natick, Massachusetts, USA
31 December 2003

My sister was 8-9, I was 7-8, and my bother 5-6 when the show ran and we still talk about it today. We got so into the show that our father threatened to ban us from it. I became Boss, my sister Shadd and my brother Grunk. It was our reversion to cave man language that almost led to the ban. The show disappeared without any notice or information. We were devastated. We maintained our characters for several years after the show and we still call each other Shadd, Boss and Grunk sometimes today.

We are 45, 44, and 42 now. Between us we have 7 children ages (18, 17, 17, 15, 12, 3, and 1). For years we have told them about the show and no could find information on it. Worse, none of our friend had heard of the show either. So finally I did an exhaustive Internet search and found lots of cool information including this site. From the comments on the show, CBS missed the boat for not running it longer. Like another favorite Star Trek, I believe the loyalty of the viewers would have generated grass root support to be enjoyed by generations. It would have been another Gilligan Island in reruns - but for only 26 episodes.

In my search I found someone with 20 of 26 episodes. I paid to have them duplicated and should receive them this week. We are having an It's About Time party on Jan 10th, 2004 with all the kids required to attend under penalty of no future support or food. I will let you know with a posting how it went. Also I will list the episodes that I have.

Emails about the show are welcome!

Rick Stoppe, Natick MA

I love this show

Author: clark-51 from Marina del Rey, CA
2 April 2005

go this web address and see more about this great show http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-6357/ I grew up in Toronto and I watched this show every week. I somehow thought that there were more than one seasons worth of programs though hmm? Well according to all of this there was only the one. I read the information on this site about the end of the season where there flipped the concept around and had them back in 1966 but I don't recall that happening. I was 11 at the time and so I don't imagine I was hitting the sauce or anything. I wish TV land would pick this show up. Anyone from TV Land listening? Can we make a petition or something lie that?

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]