IMDb > "Family Affair" (1966) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Family Affair"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Family Affair" More at IMDbPro »

Heartbreaking Buffy

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
12 March 2001

Brian Keith proved to be so good working with little kids: he is warm and paternal, tough but never rigid, always bemused by their antics and reassuring everyone with his calming smile when their spirits were down. When Buffy makes friends with some kids from the bad section of town, Uncle Bill buys her hand-me-downs to wear so she'll fit in (and even tags along and makes friends with a parent, Jackie Coogan). Sebastian Cabot made the perfect valet; he too is charmed by these kids and pretends to be surly even though the idea of having a real family suits him and somehow appeals to him. Kathy Garver is a gregarious big sister and Johnny Whitaker a loyal, dependable brother who rarely got mischievous (he's very grounded and sometimes gravely serious). As for Anissa Jones as Buffy, she didn't seem to be just reading lines that an adult wrote for her, she really WAS Buffy. When her doll gets lost, or when she loses her spot in the Scout Troop, or when the Mod Maidens hurt her feelings (in the terrific episode "The Joiners"), Jones works the most tender of childhood emotions in a way that is neither flashy nor incredible. She was a very subtle little actress with a beaming smile that could appear out of nowhere.

Sweet, warm and wonderful!

Author: callie-5 from Louisiana
13 December 2000

I've been watching this show all my life, whenever it was on, and it never fails to move me. A good basic story-line, great actors and good scripts made it fun to watch. Brian Keith as Uncle Bill Davis, a confirmed bachelor, suddenly has his life changed when he learns that he is given custody of his 2 nieces and nephew when their parents die in a car crash. Anissa Jones as Buffy is the first to appear in episode 1 and it is so good to watch Sebatian Cabot as Mr. French, Uncle Bill's butler, valet and housekeeper, trying to adjust to this shy, sullen little girl who won't come out of her shell. Episode 2 introduces Buffy's twin brother, Jody,played beautifully by Johnny Whitaker and their older sister, Cissy,played by Kathy Garver. With the three children at last reunited, life begins anew for Uncle Bill and Mr. French as they learn how to deal with children and the children learn how to deal with them. This show started at a time when family television was still on the airwaves and people enjoyed seeing a show that had 'family values". But by 1971, when it was cancelled, people started turning to more "realistic" and irreverent television shows and it was harder for a "family values" program like this to be successful. But there are still re-runs and you can get a look at a different time, a different era and a different kind of family. Well, worth a watch!

Family Affair on DVD

Author: mcade from Tilton, Illinois
25 July 2005

This show I grew up with and would love to see again. It was about a different time when children were much more naive and not nearly as jaded as they are today.

It taught family values and showed how tragedy (death of the siblings parents in a car accident) brings people together. The show did have moments of being cheesy but I would much rather see that then some of the current garbage being forced on everyone on network television. Anissa Jones, playing Buffy, specifically in the first episode, is the most underrated child actress of her time. She is so natural.

I guess what really bothers me is that whenever you turn on the television today, all you are forced to see are these reality shows with the dog eat dog mentality. Everyone will stomp on everyone else to get what they want no matter what the cost. It seems that a show like The Simple Life (Paris Hilton) or The Surreal Life with C list celebrities gets released on DVD five minutes after it comes out but these truly classic shows, like Family Affair; Alice and One Day At a Time are never shown and haven't been seen for years.

TV Land shows Leave it to Beaver all the time, why not change the lineup and show Family Affair; Alice & One Day at a Time so people can see something that hasn't been on for years?

A Good Family Show With Moral Values

Author: emenon from United States
8 September 2006

This was a family favorite, when I was a child growing up. Uncle Bill played by Brian Keith took in a nephew and two nieces to raise in his New York Penthouse Apartment. However he was a great guardian parent figure as well as Mr. French played by Sebastian Cabot. Kathy Garver, who played Cissy a teenager was a bit wayward. She was made to take responsibility to Buffy and Jodie. Sometimes she neglected her duties. I really like this show better than The Brady Bunch & Partridge Family. Into the 1970's family values changed. Kids wearing long hair, bell bottom jeans and the extreme clothing. I hated to see that happened. I wish we had more shows like Family Affair. I'm very sorry Anissa Jones died of a drug overdose. It's a sad situation to see such a young person end their life. That's what I meant about the change of values. America is in desperate need of change.

A show we need more of.

Author: snuggybearkids from United States
30 September 2004

With the state of television the way it is in this new millennium, now several years old, there is definitely a need big time for a show like this. Family, caring, kindness and love are terms that describe this show in all the best ways. The cast was perfect and Kathy Garver, as Sissy, gave a teen sweetness with just

enough cool. I wish I would have had a sister like her.

I hope the studio that has the rights to this show releases the DVD soon. And, I hope that someday, Hollywood and the Industry begins to put on more shows

like this. I not only hope this for the future of television, but with the patients running the asylum, we need to retake positive and fun television. Enough of the explicit sex, promotions of bad behavior and value bashing. I'm glad I don't ever listen to critics who these days despise anything with value, sweetness and fun. All they do is look to perpetuate the negative. It proves the statement, "those that can't do, teach and those that can't teach (or do anything), criticize." Need I say more?

Brian Keith's best work ever........

Author: raysond from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 June 2000

As a child I used to watch this show almost everyday. This show was one of the most heartwarming family shows ever devised for TV. It was just that too. Brian Keith(who was still cranking out feature films and making a weekly TV series) was the tough but tender and sometimes emotional Uncle Bill(Bill Davis) who lives in a upscale New York penthouse with his butler Mr. French(played by the great Sebastian Cabot),and his three children: Cissy(played by Kathy Garver,who look like Sally Field ),Buffy(played by Anissa Jones,who was a great actress who passed away suddenly 5 years after the show left the airwaves at 18 years of age...very sad),and Jody(played by Johnnie Whitaker). The show itself was very sugary,I mean sugarcoated with that sweet wholesome family goodness you'll expect from a weekly TV series,but it had some good family values that accompanied it as well. After Briam Keith did an earlier series called "The Westerner"(1960),this is one of his best works ever when it ran on CBS from 1966-1971. Basically this show was seen recently on a local cable channel,and when I was little it came on Saturday Mornings too,but its rarely seen nowdays,but if you do catch some of the episodes,its worth watching. A TV classic.

A great but almost-forgotten classic

Author: juliafwilliams from New York, NY
10 January 2004

There was and still is an endearing quality about this show. You had an engineer who was suddenly thrust into the role of a bachelor father, supported by his gentleman's gentleman.

Note: When Sebastian Cabot was written off the show for a few episodes, John Williams stepped in and did an equally credible job of playing Mr. French's brother.

Note 2: It should be noted that two up-and-coming child performers made appearances on this show, Erin Moran and Eve Plumb, and nothing more need be said on the latter.

Cute family series notable mainly for the butler and the doll

Author: roghache from Canada
15 May 2006

This is an engaging little series that I grew up with, hearkening back to a more innocent age of cute family programming. It revolves around a bachelor engineer, Bill Davis, who has been living a carefree playboy life in his Fifth Avenue apartment. His household needs are tended to by his very efficient English butler, Giles French. Suddenly Bill's life is turned upside down when he inherits three young relatives, who have been orphaned as the result of a car accident. Both Uncle Bill and Mr. French must accustom themselves to this trio of newcomers, pretty 15 year old Cissy and her adorable but challenging younger twin siblings, Buffy and Jodie.

Brian Keith is wonderful as Uncle Bill, the playboy uncle turned surrogate father. The younger stars are also perfect in their roles, especially little Anissa Jones who plays Buffy. Sebastian Cabot is the real jewel of the series in his brilliant portrayal of the butler, Mr. French, who always appears so very proper and gruff but is actually quite charmed by these three kids.

Various amusing and touching scenarios would unfold weekly as the two adults and their three charges grew accustomed to life together. For me, the show was notable (apart from the butler) for Mrs. Beasley, Buffy's bespectacled granny doll. She was a prominent feature in most episodes, always getting lost or whatever, and naturally Buffy was VERY attached to her. All in all, it was a sweet, heartwarming show from nostalgic years of yore when kids were, happily, much less sophisticated than they are today. Pity there aren't more such family programs these days and a demand for them.

Excellent

Author: tarhls2 from United States
2 July 2006

I'm watching the first season DVDs right now and it just makes me happy to watch shows like Family Affair. They come from the time that TV was good, rather than today's crap. I'll watch old TV shows over new ones any day. Thank you for putting Family Affair out on DVD ... and I'm really excited that season 1 of Hazel will be available in August. Give me the old shows rather than the reality stuff. I love the relationship between Uncle Bill, Mr. French and the kids. And Buffy & Jody just tug at my heart when they say "Uncle Bill". Man I love this show ... always have but it hasn't been on TV for several years so now I can watch it whenever I want.

Relaxing to watch, funny, warm and tender

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
12 March 2011

I love this show. The show looks nice and cosy which alone made it relaxing to watch, and the theme tune is memorable and delightful. Family Affair also treats us to story lines that are written with taste and flair with a lot and heart, and the writing is also very funny(not always hilarious mind) with some poignant parts too particularly with Buffy.

The acting is marvellous, Brian Keith is great as Uncle Bill with a great sense of comic timing and a warm presence too. Kathy Garver shows herself as a promising young actress as Cissy and Johnny Wittaker is a cute Jody. The real stars though are Anissa Jones who is so heartfelt as Buffy and Sebastian Cabot whose Mr French is just brilliant.

Some might say Family Affair is quite syrupy or sugar coated. Maybe so, but I thought it was a great show and very warm and entertaining. 9/10 Bethany Cox