IMDb > Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Kaijû daisensô

Invasion of Astro-Monster More at IMDbPro »Kaijû daisensô (original title)

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Hey...it's Godzilla...what more do you want?

Author: Dik Meyer (doc_muzik@geocities.com) from St. Clair, Pennsylvania
17 January 1999

I'll always have a soft spot in my head for Monster Zero, since it was the first Godzilla movie I ever saw (back when the CBS Late Night Movie actually played fun stuff). Even now it is still a pretty good little piece of fluff. You've got Godzilla, Rodan, King Ghidorah, Nick Adams, aliens from Planet X, lotsa destruction and mayhem. Sounds like a good way to spend 90 miuntes on a dreary Sunday afternoon to me!

You should have left your sister packed in ice.

Author: Ben Larson from Leesburg, FL
16 May 2014

If you are looking for the video, it it known as Godzilla vs. Monster Zero.

Monster Zero is actually Ghiddorah: The Three Headed Monster, but they use numbers on Planet X. It is alway fascinating to see the depiction of space men and space vehicles in an earlier age.

Never trust space aliens as they have ulterior motives. They use Goidzilla, Monster Zero and Rodan to attack Earth for it's water.

But, they never counted on one of their "machines" falling in love and revealing their weakness.

Lots of action, but mainly at the end.

Godzilla Breaks Into Riverdance

Author: kennymacdonald (kennymacdonald@msn.com) from Charlottetown P.E.I.
12 April 2003

[Possible Spoilers] This was the very first Godzilla flim that i seen as a kid i liked then and still do.Know that i'm older i see this a fun movie and some of it's silliness.First thing is that after Godzilla and Rodan beat King Ghidra, Godzilla does a victory dance also when Glen and Terry are in there cell Glen pulls out the note that his girl friend Namikawa he says to Terry "Listen to this" and they both just stare at the note as Namikawa's voice is heard.Last is how the aliens from Planet X escape into the future not a good idea to me.I will also point out that when action picks up you see Nick Adams,who plays Glen pulling up his pants!!!A fun movie.

Godzilla does the Ali Shuffle!

Author: CMUBrent from Clifford, MI
10 July 2002

I watched this movie for the first time a few days ago. It's not one of the best in the Godzilla series, but it's okay. Way better than 1998's Iguana-zilla. Some of the effects were cheesy, like the flight through space. Let's not forget the fight scene on Planet X, where Godzilla is actually doing the Ali Shuffle throughout the fight with Ghidorah, then starts dancing afterwards.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd give this movie a 5.5. Not a great movie, but there were worse movies in the series. And WAY better than the 1998 bomb.

Fun Godzilla movie!

Author: warlorde from OKC, OK
6 April 2002

Yes it is a Godzilla movie, but it's pure fun and fantasy. It has an interesting plot, monsters, aliens, special effects, destruction what more could you ask for? And I don't care what people think, Nick Adams was good for this movie. It helped get Americans to watch it. So if you want a good Saturday morning sci-fi movie with lotsa fun and monsters, this one is it.

10 out of 10. I JUST LOVE GODZILLA!

A Few Flaws But Great!!!

Author: gigan-92 from United States
13 April 2009

The sequel to 1964's success, "Invasion of Astro-Monster" is the sixth film in the first series. This is the first ever Godzilla movie to involve aliens in the plot, something that would soon become common later on around the late 60s. With the same four fathers behind it, this film is one to remember. Akira Ifukbe delivers the Rodan and Godzilla themes with a fresh, eerie, twist that sounded great while Tsubaraya took the SFX to new heights. The Planet X set looked great and realistic on screen, as well as the Xian saucers and their teleportation beams. Shinchi Sekizawa provided a very good screen play, full of romance, clever ideas and originality but a few faults. The human characters are likable and in their own way add to records to the G-saga. First off, Nick Adams is the first ever American actor to star in a G-flick, with a major role (although a few Americans are in a deleted scene in "Mothra vs. Godzilla" The scene is still in the American cut). Also, this is the ONLY Godzilla movie in history to have on screen kissing, although it only last 1.45 seconds ( Adams and Kumi Mizuno). I for one find this quite odd because several future G-films would have love stories to a degree, but never do they share a kiss. Just wanted to point that out...anyways, many Toho stars make appearances, including Akira Takarada, Akira Kubo and Jun Tazaki. Yoshio Tsuchiya plays the 'Controller of Planet X'. I love how he does those gestures with his hands every time he says something and it looks extraterrestrial. Kumi Mizuno also makes her G-film debut, who looked surprisingly cute in those ridiculous Xian tights.

King Ghidorah looks great as he did in the last film, and Rodan also returned, looking okay. However, this time a new Godzilla suit appeared. This suit doesn't look too bad and actually looks pretty cool. And believe it or not, the campiness is actually toned down from the last film ("Ghidrah: The Three Headed Monster"). Still, there's the odd Godzilla-shai and Godzilla thinking his Muhammad Ali. Despite this, the monster action is superbly great, especially on Planet X. Out of all the Showa films, this one has some of the best fights. Now where as you do have to wait a while, it's worth it in the end. The Planet X battle is defiantly top notch. The main reason I love the fights in this film is because their so energetic and full of personality. For one example, after the saucers have been destroyed, Godzilla recovers first and attacks Ghidrah while he's still down. I think it was a great character moment that showed how the two have become archenemies of sorts. Plus I like how Godzilla leaped at Ghidorah, actually tackling him down. Very cool. Rodan, however, has kind of Godzilla do most of the actual combat, but he still gets his moments.

Along with all the cool fights, all the monsters get some nicely done city-smashing scenes. It's been nearly ten years since we've seen Rodan destroy and it feels good to see, in the words of G-expert Stuart Gulbraith IV on the commentary "that menace of old". Some of the destruction is "Rodan" stock-footage but it doesn't really bother me because not a whole lot is used. UNLIKE the messes created in 1972 and 1973. Godzilla and Ghidorah both do some delightful damage as well and there are some great shots. Oh yeah, Godzilla's heat ray looks great, if, though, a little too thin. But much better than his 'steam' breath in the last film.

It's U.S. cut is respectful to the original, although Tetsuo (Akira Kubo) sounds too nerdy at times. Aso, some of the dubbing's lines are a bit cheesy. For example, Takarada's character: "The licking our first trucks have taken is something terrible. it isn't looking too hot." Terrible, I know, but overall it's better than how others were dubbed. Some have pointed out a weakness in the plot, specifically why did the Xians need to lie and trick the human characters into 'giving' them the monsters when they're already on Earth and could already control the monsters? To me, it's something you have to think about. Maybe, just maybe, the aliens were afraid if they just launched an all-out attack that Tetsuo would use his alarm system on them and wanted a more subtle approach. This is hinted at when they burn the plans for the device and when they imprisoned Tetsuo. Sekizawa should've explained it a little more. I just wanted to say that in the film's defense because other than this, and the Xian's weird shoes, the film was great. One thing there's no real way to defend is how in his monologue, the Controller 'confessed' to using magnetic waves to control the monsters. And thanks to this our heroes thought up the idea to use the A-Cycle Light Ray.

He obviously didn't think Earth was smart enough to find a loop hole in his dastardly plans. But as the climax shoes, guess not. Still, all in all, "Invasion of Astro-Monster" is a very well done installment to the series.

Wonderful kaiju pic

Author: ultramatt2000-1 from Orlando, Florida
2 November 2003

This is a sequel to GHIDRAH THE THREE HEADED MONSTER, where G and Rodan whoop the three headed beast's butt. Funny bits include G doing a silly dance and G spoofing Mohamed Ali (if you read my comment to GODZILLA VS MEGALON (1973), you see G spoof Bruce Lee).

EARTH VS THE FLYING SAUCERS (1956) gets referenced. Homage is paid to RODAN (1956) where the aliens take Rodan out of his cave. In fact, when you watch, this movie, you see stock footage from RODAN where Rodan trashes Tokyo, and The soldiers are getting blown away. The inventor of the noisy machine reminds me of a voice-actor I know Tom Kenny, doesn't he remind you of him. Akira Ifukube's music is wonderful. The thing is there is a planet called Planet X. Didn't we see that in a cartoon? This film will be put on number 2.

DESTROY ALL MONSTERS (1968) number 3. And for number 1, GODZILLA MOTHRA KING GHIDORAH: THE GIANT MONSTERS ALL OUT ATTACK (2001). I never saw RODAN. I just saw the ending. Bottom line, fun for kaiju fans.

Godzilla vs. Ghidorha.........again.....and again.....and...

Author: sketchy from Dark side of the moon.
14 July 2003

Godzilla is captured by aliens and forced to battle King Ghidorha again. Is it not too obvious who will win? another cheesy but enjoyable entry in the Tokyo studios Godzilla franchise, this one has (slightly) better effects than in the other films from Japan's monster collection, and also has okay dubbing.

Monster Zero is My Favorite Godzilla Villain

Author: gavin6942 from United States
9 March 2012

Aliens from Planet X request the use of Godzilla and Rodan to fight off King Ghidorah, but have a better use for the three monsters.

Often, Godzilla films are naturally cheesy, but I think this one really steps up the cheese. I was especially put off by the over-use of the Godzilla sound effect (he apparently cannot even change his tone, pitch or volume). Rodan made for a nice addition, and Ghidorah is a great villain.

American star Nick Adams (whom Leonard Maltin calls the "poor man's James Dean") may be best known among horror fans as the star of "Die Monster Die" alongside Boris Karloff or from "Frankenstein Conquers the World", both of which came out the same year as this film. Sadly, he died at age 36 from an overdose of enough paraldehyde, sedatives and other drugs in the body "to cause instant unconsciousness."

The film was co-produced between the Japanese company Toho, and Henry G. Saperstein's American company UPA, marking the only time a Godzilla film was co-produced with an American studio. The film was edited into Japanese and American versions, but perhaps because of this cooperation, the changes are very minor and the American version is only three minutes shorter.

Despite my relatively low ranking of the film, I actually really enjoyed it... I just think it seemed cheesy and the twist was far too predictable. The big question for me, though, is why IMDb (or anyone) would use the name "Invasion of Astro-Monster"... terrible, terrible name. "Godzilla vs. Monster Zero" sounds so much better.

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
13 May 2009

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero (1965)

** 1/2 (out of 4)

A couple astronauts (one played by Nick Adams) travel to Planet X where they are shocked to find an alien race asking for their help. Apparently King Ghidorah is holding them hostage so they ask for the help of Godzilla and Rodan. The astronauts agree to help since the aliens promise to tell them the cure for cancer but sure enough there's a twist, which has all three monsters threatening to destroy Earth. This is a pretty fun film from start to finish, although I'd argue it runs about ten minutes too long. With some editing down of the talking scenes this here would have played much better but as it is the movie remains one of the better ones I've watched from the series. As with many others, the budget is obvious very, very low and this is clear in how many things look incredibly fake but this has a certain charm here because it all looks rather unique. The outer space sequences have a surreal nature to them and the aliens are somewhat enjoyable even though they look just like any other human except for the weird clothes. Adams is fun to watch in the film as is the supporting cast, which is something I haven't said too often while viewing these movies. The final battle sequences are a lot of fun with Godzilla getting to do some boxing and Rodan doing his thing. AKA: INVASION OF THE ASTRO MONSTER

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]