IMDb > Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Kaijû daisensô

Invasion of Astro-Monster More at IMDbPro »Kaijû daisensô (original title)

Page 3 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

It is pretty good, although the monsters really don't have much to do with the storyline

Author: TheUnknown837-1 from United States
13 October 2006

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero is, in a way, a previous version of the 2004 film "Godzilla: Final Wars." Although I do personally prefer Monster Zero to Final Wars, I must say that they both share the same problem: the monsters aren't important enough in this movie.

The main focus of this movie is not on the monsters, but instead on the humans and the inhabitants of Planet X. Godzilla, Rodan, and King Ghidorah are all just secondary parts to the plot. None of them get very much screen time, although there is thankfully some good action sequences with them.

As for the aliens, they are portrayed typically for the 60s. They wear unusual uniforms, have flying saucers, antennas on their heads, and they have one weakness. Nothing unexpected, but this doesn't necessarily make it a bad portrayal.

The only other problem I have to say is that they now started using cardboard buildings for the scenes where the monsters are attacking the cities. But other than that, the special effects are not bad.

Overall, not a perfect Godzilla movie. Not a bad one either, though.

Godzilla and Rodan save the Earth

Author: vtcavuoto from United States
20 May 2006

"Godzilla vs. Monster Zero" is similar to the previous film "Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster". Rodan co-stars but Mothra didn't due to budget limitations. Nick Adams did a very good job as Astronaunt Glenn. I liked his performance. His voice is used in the film but his voice-over doesn't always match his lips. The plot is fairly original: Two Astronaunts land on Planet X. Aliens from the planet ask the two Astronaunts to seek permission to borrow Godzilla and Rodan to defeat Monster Zero(Ghidorah). It turns out the aliens want to conquer the earth(don't they all)? The aliens control Godzilla and Rodan and threaten to destroy the earth unless all the nations surrender. The aliens are later defeated and Godzilla and Rodan go on their way. There is a sub-plot with a young scientist who creates a pocket alarm. It is discovered that the aliens can not tolerate loud noises(as a father I can relate to that). The movie is typical of just about any Godzilla movie but the plot is a bit better than most of his films. Not an exceptional monster film but one that is enjoyable.

Less monsters more people?

Author: Dry_Wall from United States
16 February 2006

This is only some of the few monster movies I grew up on as a kid. Especially Monster Zero aka. Godzilla vs monster zero. Even as a kid I would always watch this but now as I watch I noticed that the monsters monster zero Godzilla Rodan serve as a mere cameo. The monsters are in the movie total of 10 minutes! The rest is the people of planet x talking Glen Nick Adams finding out his girlfriend is a cyborg. A nerdy doctor and his beeper machine that gave me a headache. The only time we see Godzilla in action is when he is dancing. And the controller of planet x looks like he won planet x from the Devo rock band! Overall if you like more monster fights i suggest you to not get this one.

Here we go again...

Author: sveknu
5 February 2006

There's nothing new here. Actually, I felt like I was watching "Godzilla versus Ghidrah" all over again. Mothra is gone, but that's it. Godzilla, Rodan and Ghidrah have a new fight, pretty much the same as in the previous movie. Of course they had to create a new plot, and this time it's about some aliens and a voyage into space. The plot wasn't very interesting, and it drove the focus away from where it should have been: On Godzilla. I wonder why they didn't add more monster fight scenes to the movie. It was just too much talking and absence of action.

Cool victory dance by Godzilla, though.

nice monster movie with an attempt at plot depth

Author: r-c-s from Italy
27 October 2005

this is a nice movie. of course we talk about miniatures, carton box models of cities & men in rubber suit, so we shouldn't be overly concerned when the product doesn't meet A+ standards. I think they go even further trying to thicken the plot, with reasonable results i daresay considering we are dealing with a C, low budget movie from Japan. Two astronauts fly back & forth beyond jupiter in minutes ten times. There is one white James Dean clone actor among sixteen dozens of Japanese. They meet some aliens who, always soft spoken & very condescending, convince earthlings to surrender Godzilla & Rodan so that they fend off the three headed flying monster Ghidorah. Little do earthlings know that they fore-plan the invasion of earth, forget friendship & miracle medicines! The stupid "invention" of a nerdy scientist (looking like the C movie copy of a clumsy poor man's Clark Kent) saves the day. The idea aliens need water on their planet will return decades later in VISITORS. a peaceful movie where Godzilla break-dances too. good for an evening to kill time and forget about hassles.

Giant monsters, spaceships, aliens, a stoned Rodan and Godzilla dancing!!

Author: giantdevilfish from Pacific Ocean
15 December 2004

This was the first blend of aliens and monsters in the Godzilla series and what a blast it was. Some people put this movie down mainly because the monster action is so limited. But, the engaging story about deceptions and doublecrosses from space, tragic love and fun characters (American actor Nick Adams gives this film a fun dynamic with his energetic performances) make the minimal monster action a non-factor.

Watch as a hibernating Godzilla and Rodan are abducted by aliens from beyond the moon.

See Godzilla give Ghidrah a flying tackle and dance the night away after his victory on Planet X

Marvel at the monster mayhem, and watch as Rodan carries Godzilla through the air and slams him into Ghidrah.

And keep an eye out for the best shot of the film near the climax. When Godzilla wakes up a fallen King Ghidrah (via a kicked boulder) and Rodan (via a tail slam), watch the extreme close-up of Rodan's face after he awakens. If you ever wanted to see Rodan look stoned, here's your chance.

All this makes this film one of the best of the Godzilla sequels!!

Enjoyable

Author: AwesomeWolf from Australia
8 November 2004

Version: Dubbed VHS.

Akira Takarada (Fuji) and Nick Adams (Glenn) play astronauts in the present-day (well, it was the future in the 1960s...) sent off to investigate the newly discovered Planet X, which had hanging around behind Jupiter all this time. With a name like Planet X, you know something is up, just not what. Fuji and Glenn land on Planet X, and somehow end up under the surface, and confronted by aliens wearing silly jumpsuits and sunglasses (the sunglasses denote evil-ness). Turns out the Xians have been forced underground by Monster Zero, and Fuji and Glenn get to witness Monster Zero attacking what little is on the planet's surface. Turns out Monster Zero is in fact, Ghidorah, and the Xians ask our heroes if they can borrow Godzilla and Rodan from Earth, and in return, give them the cure to all disease.

Back on Earth, the Xians turn up, sign some autographs, and then take Godzilla and Rodan back to Planet X where Godzilla challenges Ghidorah to fisticuffs while Rodan just hurls boulders around. The battle is over quickly, Godzilla dances, and Fuji and Glenn leave an emotional Godzilla and Rodan stranded on Planet X. Back on Earth, all disease is cured and everybody wins. Haha, just kidding, the Xians now control Ghidorah, Godzilla and Rodan and begin their colonization of Earth. Now it's up to Glenn, Fuji & co. to save Godzilla and Rodan from alien mind-control, and save the Earth.

Add in some forbidden-love relationships with alien women and out-of-luck scientists whose seemingly useless inventions eventually save the day, and you have the formula for nearly Godzilla movie from this one up until "Terror of Mechagodzilla". Godzilla is now all about saving Earth from alien invasions, and King Ghidorah being mind-controlled by nearly every alien race that pops in to try and conquer our little planet, but as long we have cool kaiju action it doesn't matter, right? "Godzilla vs Monster Zero" suffers from long-periods with no monster sightings, and uses a fair bit of stock footage from previous films.

"Godzilla vs Monster Zero" is silly fun, while staying above the level of some of the later Godzilla films (Godzilla vs Gigan, and Godzilla vs Megalon...) - 6/10. Any Godzilla fan should enjoy it.

superior Showa action

Author: dr_foreman from Brooklyn, NY
29 March 2004

Aliens with silly glasses, Godzilla doing a silly dance, and endless silly shots of King Ghidorah strafing rocks - this movie is boss! I'm normally not a fan of 60s/70s Godzilla films, but when they get outrageous enough they can be wildly entertaining, and this entry in the series is perhaps the most outrageous of all.

I must admit that it takes a while to get going, but my attention was held by Nick Adams' bombastic performance (the guy went from an Oscar nomination to THIS?) and the ever-reassuring presence of Akira Takarada, who also played Ogata in the infinitely superior (but much less amusing) "Gojira" (1954). The alien spaceships and planetscapes provide some nice retro eye candy, and the production values as a whole are not too far inferior to what you'd expect to see in a contemporary American film.

Once the monsters get into it, the pace really picks up. Godzilla, Rodan, and King Ghidorah on an all-out rampage! Plenty of city destruction in evidence here, and the aliens get a great comeuppance.

The dub is lousy, of course (one character sounds like a nasally punk kid), and the Godzilla suit stinks (as usual!). But so what? Though this film is not as interesting as the previous year's Mothra vs. Godzilla, it scores high on the fun-o-meter.

One of my favorites...

Author: SymphonyoftheKnight from Los Angeles, California
2 June 2003

This is a good film but only for those who enjoy the Godzilla series. Anyone else would deem it a horrible cinematic achievement. But this is my favorite pre-Destroy All Monsters in color. The battle scenes are good, especially the ones in space. Godzilla's victory dance was too much, but everything else was fun.

As a film: 4/10 To Godzilla fans: 8/10

Fun Godzilla movie!

Author: warlorde from OKC, OK
6 April 2002

Yes it is a Godzilla movie, but it's pure fun and fantasy. It has an interesting plot, monsters, aliens, special effects, destruction what more could you ask for? And I don't care what people think, Nick Adams was good for this movie. It helped get Americans to watch it. So if you want a good Saturday morning sci-fi movie with lotsa fun and monsters, this one is it.

10 out of 10. I JUST LOVE GODZILLA!

Page 3 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]