IMDb > Help! (1965) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

a goodie

Author: veryapparent from United States
11 March 2006

As fate would have it, one day many years ago, when I was still in high school, the local PBS station aired this movie. I flipped to it, not knowing what it was, and ended up watching it in its entirety. It was this movie that led me to fall in love with the Beatles before I knew who and what the Beatles really were. It kick-started a full-out personal Beatles-mania that lasted at least 5 years. This movie holds a special place in my heart, and a special place in my list of favorite movies.. top 10 definitely, hence the 10 out of 10 stars rating. It is funny, smart, cheeky, entertaining, fun, and hot. Ringo is my favorite. I'm going to go watch it right now.

a mix of Looney Tunes and pre-Monty Python era hijinks, with a smashing soundtrack

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
17 November 2006

Help! is a Beatles movie that only is one in part- significant, sure, this time it's not simply the Beatlemania movie of the moment. They're still recognized and all by supporting characters, but being left to their own devices, in approximately more ways than one, it's got madcap tattooed on its brain. There's not really a Lord of the Rings element to it, being that the ring isn't going to destroy the entire world or not if it gets destroyed. In a way it's a MacGuffin (even as there is many a line exchanged about the importance of a finger, and how much Ringo might need it or not if chopped off). It could be anything, just as long as it has those quick-witted and quick-footed chaps from Liverpool on the run from the dastardly foreign royal-hunters and the scientists.

To describe all of what happens in Help! would take up more than a page load, but to put it really quick some of the highlights- Beatles in the Alps, Beatles in the Bahamas, Beatles in a royal palace, and all going back to the temple! Well, those aren't really highlights, but there's lots of great nuggets of gags and jokes in there. In fact, I'd say that the first half of the film, while the boys are still wondering why the hell they're being chased all around just for the big red rock on Ringo's finger, is purely wonderful, spot-on comedy, where the irreverent goes to very long lengths, including title cards, surprising exchanges, and all in very broad strokes. No need to know what these fellows are really like, that's never a point to be made. They're too busy for that- what with getting tailed every which way, recording songs, playing songs, dancing sometimes randomly when an alarm clock goes off or getting out of places in outrageous break-out-of-window fashion, and then even getting caught in the middle of a military assault. All of it is pulled off via Richard Lesters's direction with a full understanding of how this being silly, and the Beatles going for it, allows for so many possibilities, and almost all of them are realized.

The soundtrack, by the way, is definitely a favorite from the early Beatles days, with the classics of the title track, Ticket to Ride, Got to Hide Your Love Away, and Lose that Girl among others. They all fit in very well with the story too, or what's there of it. And the climax, which almost becomes anti in the last couple of minutes, is actually a given considering all that's happened- it caps off a 'why not' attitude to the situations that unfold. Also, quite a few excellent, quotable lines too. It's one of the best pictures of 1965. Grade- A

Exhibits Beatles' Comedic Skills

Author: Desertman84 from United States
15 September 2012

Help! is a film directed by Richard Lester.It features The Beatles – John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr — together with Leo McKern, Eleanor Bron, Victor Spinetti, John Bluthal, Roy Kinnear and Patrick Cargill. It was the second feature film made by the Beatles and is a comedy adventure which sees the group come up against an evil cult. The soundtrack was released as an album entitled Help!.

The Beatles again aim for a mix of goofy comedy and sterling pop music. A sacred ruby ring comes into Ringo's possession, attracting the unwelcome attention of an exotic religious cult and forcing the boys to go on the run. This chase narrative is thankfully never taken too seriously, serving mainly as an excuse for colorful excursions to international locations from Europe to the Bahamas. The musical numbers include such classic tunes as "Ticket to Ride","You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" and "Help!".

This is already a dated musical comedy but it can still be a fun romp with the legendary Beatles as it provides great music and entertainment.Obviously,loyal Beatles fans will overlook the flaws this movie has and will still rate it excellently satisfying.Finally,it also shows the Beatles' skill in comedy aside from singing and songwriting.

Seriously? Don't tell me you hate this movie

Author: anastasia-cessano-writes from United States
18 November 2011

OK, so I am 13, and whilst most of my generation loves the music of Justin Beiber, Ke$ha , and the like, I am a weird person to like Tears for Fears and the Beatles (2 favorite bands!) especially since I am a teen girl. I am even weirder for liking actress Eleanor Bron (Ahme) and Ava Gardner, Bette Davis, Sophia Loren, Lilly Tomlin, etc, because normal teens like Kristen Stewart. But the hell with that! I love Help! It is raucous, hilarious in a very British way. Nods to Monty Python are observed. Hilarious lines from George and Paul, especially: "Jeweler you failed" and "I'll clear her name. We're very close." Love love love the music, and Eleanor's crazy but chic outfits as well. Help! is one to see. 10/10 AC

A harmless "spy movie farce" (with The Beatles in it!!)

Author: djohnramz-942-850484 from United States
5 January 2011

I think if you were around during the time of the Sean Connery as James Bond, and "In Like Flint" films, etc., this film is MUCH more relevant as a "spoof" during it's time. You have to remember, in 1965, when "spy movies" were the genre of the day.

A typical "British humor" satirical film (w/comedic shades of the future Monty Python), a decent script, decent actors, and The Lads weren't as bad at acting as I would have originally believed. All in all, an entertaining film , for it's time period.

One thing I must correct of IMDb's "Revealing Mistakes": "When Bhuta jumps out of the Good Year blimp to lay the plan to trap the Beatles,there is a wide shot of the stuntman playing Bhuta jumping out of the blimp. Afterwards, there is a shot of a horribly fabricated dummy hanging where Bhuta is supposed to be hanging (too skinny, and the arms are too long)."

Yes, it was a frightfully poor looking "dummy. Too skinny, yes, but the producers DID have the wherewithal to increase the length of his arms,because he had the "footprint-maker extensions" in his hands, thus making his arms "longer".

This second movie starring the Fab Four turned out to be a worthy follow-up

Author: Electrified_Voltage from Guelph, Ontario, Canada
1 December 2010

The Beatles, an amazingly groundbreaking rock band of the sixties, made their silver screen debut in 1964 with "A Hard Day's Night", and the following year, that hit comedy was followed by another one starring the Fab Four. Like its predecessor, "Help!" features the band members playing themselves in a fictional story, and was directed by Richard Lester, but this time, instead of exaggerating the band's real lives at the height of Beatlemania, the band was put into a James Bond spoof. This all happened more than twenty years before I was born, but I clearly remember seeing both films in the late nineties, when I was around eleven years old. After watching the first of the two again in 2007 and this year, I finally watched this follow-up again, for the first time in over a decade. It turns out that I still think both efforts are good.

A certain Asian cult believes in a goddess named Kaili, and believes in sacrificing people to her. A woman in this cult is about to be sacrificed when it is discovered that she is not wearing the sacrificial ring. Beatles drummer Ringo Starr happens to be the one who is currently wearing this ring, so several members of the cult go to London so they can retrieve it! However, all their attempts to get it off of Ringo's finger fail, and the world-famous drummer eventually learns that if he doesn't get the ring off soon, he will be the cult's next sacrifice! Obviously, he now wants to get rid of the ring, but no matter what anybody does, they cannot get it off! It doesn't help when after they get a mad scientist named Foot and his assistant, Algernon to try and remove the ring and the two of them fail, Foot decides he wants it for himself! All this trouble sends the Beatles on a wild adventure, taking them out of England and to different parts of the world, with cult members and the two mad scientists pursuing them!

John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr all did a very good job portraying themselves in a comical manner in "A Hard Day's Night", and fortunately, they hadn't lost any steam by the time they starred in this follow-up. The quality of this 1965 comedy is definitely helped by their performances, and there are other cast highlights as well, such as Leo McKern as Clang, the cult leader. As the Fab Four make their first appearance in the film, going into their separate sections of their flat as two women on the street watch and talk about them, the humour looks promising, and then there are lots of funny moments as we watch them inside. The film may soon go downhill a little, as the writing and humour sometimes show that they could have been better, but there certainly are more good laughs. There's some good humorous dialogue in "Help!", even if it doesn't get as funny here as it does in "A Hard Day's Night". This second Beatles film is more about slapstick than the first, but this usually works here. The plot of this movie also impressed me, and the adventure takes the band members to some nice locations, such as the Austrian Alps. Like its predecessor, this film also features a good bunch of Beatles tunes to add to the entertainment.

"A Hard Day's Night" and "Help!" were apparently both successful back when they were originally released in the 60's, but it appears that today, the former is more popular. Personally, I'm not 100% sure which one I think is better. In my opinion, maybe the 1964 release is just a bit better as a comedy than this follow-up is, but both of them are entertaining for the most part. Also, as a film that parodies James Bond, "Help!" is much better than certain other films that do the same, including the spoof version of "Casino Royale", which was released within the next couple years after this second film starring the Beatles. I haven't seen every single Bond spoof, but of the ones I have seen, some are funny and some not some much, and this one is basically one of the former. I would say it's also better than "Thunderball", the Bond film which came out the same year. If you're a Beatles fan and want to hear some of their songs with some wacky humour and adventure to go with them, this 1965 comedy is probably a good movie for you to check out, even if you find that it's inferior to the Fab Four's film debut.

Outrageously Crazy Movie, Great Music of Course

Author: mrb1980
28 April 2008

The Beatles were no longer cheeky, lovable moptops when they made "Help!", and were more mature in their acting and songwriting. The movie didn't really have much of a plot other than a religious sect was trying to recover a ring from Ringo's finger, using any method and at any cost. There are lots of funny and borderline insane vignettes along the way, interspersed with great songs like the title tune, "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away", "Another Girl", "You're Gonna Lose That Girl", "I Need You", and others. The action proceeds with little rhyme or reason until the final free-for-all scene on a tropical island beach, where the ring finally is dislodged from Ringo's finger. The film is dedicated to "Elias Howe who, in 1846, invented the sewing machine".

In 1965, a lot of people believed this film was a huge letdown from 1964's "A Hard Day's Night". I think we should agree that the first film was a classic whose success could never be matched. We should also agree that "Help!" was a completely different film, produced a year later when the Beatles were riding the final wave of Beatlemania and the public's perception of them was much different. Remember, many critics thought the Beatles would never last past the end of 1964; the group proved them wrong again and again. So sit back, watch, and--especially--LISTEN. You'll be delighted.

How Sweet It Was

Author: jimmygeekrock from United States
8 December 2007

This isn't The Beatles best moment. That belongs to A HARD DAY'S NIGHT (and YELLOW SUBMARINE might have the edge on this picture innovation-wise). But there's no denying that The Beatles' charisma carries HELP! to levels other rock musicals can only aspire to.

Which is the picture's only detriment. When the Fab Four aren't on screen, HELP! feels a little flat. They're such commanding presences that anyone would suffer by comparison, let alone the fine character actors who populate this comic fantasy.

But this is a minor quibble. Try to resist the great songs, every one of which is a gem. Try not to laugh at some of the broader sight gags (like the contents of their shared flat). Try to suppress a smile at director Richard Lester's manic pacing. He is the guy who invented the music video, for better or worse. In effect, HELP! and A HARD DAY'S NIGHT are the blueprints for everything that has come since…and I'm not speaking of musicals, but of all contemporary cinema (its cutting, its pacing, its self-reference).

If HELP! seems at all dated, it's only because the gags and techniques have been so endlessly cannibalized by lesser productions. But this is a small price to pay for such sunny hopefulness. In a world where rock seems to epitomize whiny, self-absorption, I wish I could have been around for the real deal.

My opinion on this movie

Author: dartinggodton80 from United States
24 November 2007

I feel this movie was very funny and should be taken for what it was meant to be a way to showcase the Beatles and their music. The bonus was that they were funny. The plot and acting was what it was... poor, but most comedies are pointless or lacking a good story I mean if you look at the acting in a lot of comedies its never or rarely Oscar quality. I recommend this movie, its a good laugh and a great look and listen to the Beatles. I am a fan of the Beatles not a fanatic but I do think they were very talented and wished they had made more movies and of course more music. I am to young to have seen this at the theaters my father told me and watched this movie with me when I was 12 or so and I have been a fan since

A Wonderful Film

Author: Rolando8 from Melbourne, Australia
23 November 2007

This is no ordinary comedy. Not only does it star The Beatles (who I suspect may be considered the greatest band in all time and space, and in all the universe), the humour is also lovely and original; at most, not much sexual or toilet humour! It is about Ringo, who, before the plot of this film, is sent a ring (perhaps this film should have been called 'Ringo and his Sacrifical Ring') and decides to wear it. Then, quite a few failed attempts are made to get the ring off Ringo's finger (including a scene where the torso of George's shirt is sucked up, revealing a sexy chest and abs -- very nice!). Then they discover: The ring was sent to him by a 'lady' who, had she kept the ring on, would have been killed. If Ringo keeps the ring on for too long, that he will be killed. Ringo can't get the ring off his finger, so he leaves it on for, sadly, too long. He and his friends travel around the world (well, the Swiss Alps and the Bahamas)... This, in my opinion, is a wonderful film that I loved very much. I'm saddened that this film has a rating of only 7.0 out of 10 on this website. I recommend this film to children, Beatlemaniacs (yes, I'm one) and people who like a good joke but may not like toilet humour. Why not watch it?

Page 3 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]