IMDb > The Great Race (1965) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Great Race

The Great Race More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 15: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

The greatest comedy of it's type.

Author: Darth_Stat from Australia
27 May 2001

Easily the greatest comedy of it's type, and the father of all those road trip flicks. It is criminal that this movie was left out of the top 100 when Tootsie got inclusion.

There are few movies that you can watch again and again and just seem to laugh even more every time. Lemon is a completely different person in this movie, it is like the Coyote and the Road Runner often, a lot of it is that sort of comedy, the impactingly creative script may never be matched, it is just like a blockbuster of a adventure/comedy in the same way Raiders Of The Lost Ark is a blockbuster of action/adventure.

With half a decades worth of memorable and hilarious quotes this flick just hits the mark and stands tall in any generation. A DVD release is less than it deserves.

The Great Leslie is a growing dare-devil success, achieving record stunts, his competition or wannabe competition is Professor Fate who bungles every attempt at his own success and at foiling Leslies making himself look bad and Leslie look better. Leslie is now wishing to go to the next level and achieve a feat of less skill and more of stamina and endurance, he proposes an car race form New York to Paris, he will also show off a purpose built automobile in doing so which is named after him, The Leslie Special. Enterring in the Race also is Ms Maggie Dubua, a female rights activist and reporter wishing to make a statement for women by winning and also to report on the progress of the race. Also joining him is Professor Fate in a black gadget mobile with a magic button that handles, a cannon, an elevation structure, an probe on the front that heats up to ford through snow and lots more. That huge chunk of story is less than a quarter of what is to come.

In all honesty this is a crowning acheivment and redefines hilarious. Wether you are a film buff, comedy fan or just film watcher this is a not to be missed flick.

One Of My All Time Favorites

Author: mgdiaz (mgdiaz@us.amadeus.net) from Miami, Florida
24 May 2001

I was five years old when this movie previewed and since then I've seen it just about every time they've shown it on TV. It is filled with so much talent and beloved characters and actors. This movie played on my Wedding Day and as I got ready for my big day, I laughed, sang and it was the perfect start to such a perfect day.

"For Mr. Laurel and Mr. Hardy"

Author: Adams Douglas from San Diego, CA
28 January 2000

How can you _not_ like a film with that kind of dedication?

On those rare occasions when I feel down, I only have to whistle a few bars of Henry Mancini's bouncy "Pie-in-the-Face Polka" to brighten up again. I can't help but start giggling when I think of this hilarious music (yes, the _music_ is funny) running beneath the Greatest Pie Fight Ever Filmed. Peter Falk's entrance ("Hey, Pro-FESS-uh!") where he is flattened by a dozen simultaneous pie impacts is one of those priceless moments of cinema; I laugh out loud every time I see it.

But the Great Pie Fight is only one aspect of the charm of The Great Race. Jack Lemmon's dual performances as the dastardly Professor Fate and bumbling, drunken but good-natured Prince Hapnick (what a great king he'll make for Potsdorf) are masterful and a joy to watch. And I have to say I'm glad Charlton Heston didn't get cast as the Great Leslie but that the part went to easygoing Tony Curtis--he underplays the showoff, glitter-toothed Leslie just the right amount to counterpoint Lemmon's over-the-top Fate. Natalie Wood plays the perfect liberated woman-before-her-time--you know she and Leslie are in love when they finally have that knock-down and drag-out verbal battle on the home stretch to Paris (I love Keenan Wynn's expression as he sits suffering through this for hundreds of kiloneters). And, of course, Peter Falk redefined the standard of the bumbling sidekick with his portrayal of Max--for whom disaster is always only a button-push away.

Blake Edwards created a real gem here. Besides the major comic scenes, it's got so many little send-ups of movie cliches (the Baron accidently diving through the bottom of his getaway rowboat; Fate and Max crashing into the same farmer's property over-and-over; Leslie untouched by pies until the very end--when Wood finally nails him with a _white_ pie) that any film buff will find themselves tittering through the whole movie.

DVD makers out there, The Great Race deserves a proper restoration to wide-screen, digitized glory! Let's see it on the shelves soon!

An excellent example of a race-type film.

Author: Stephen Stratford (stephen@studyroom.free-online.co.uk)
5 September 1999

One of my favourite films, and a good example of the race-type film. A film with a good script but keeps the jokes to a reasonable length. The editing of the fight scenes in the bar and custard pie fights is first rate.

Other race-type films just don't seem so funny compared to the Great Race.

Wicked

Author: anonymous from Arnadal
22 July 1999

The first time I saw this movie was with my cousin. We had nothing to do and had for some reason rented this movie. When I saw it I thought it was terrible. Prof. Fate practically made me and my cousin almoust give up on reality (We ended up calling him mr Evil) But two days later we were still talking about the movie. We both hated it when we saw it but we ended up talking about it for one entire night, there are a few movies who has that effect. Like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where I ended up laughing much more when I talked about it with my friends. The movie can't be explained in words you have to see it, and see it together with someone so you can talk about it afterwards.

One of the top ten comedies of all time

Author: SPEC5 from Fullerton, california
17 June 1999

This is one of the few movies I can watch over and over again.

Natalie Wood was never more beautiful. Jack Lemmon and Peter Faulk were as hilarious as Laurel and Hardy. I even liked Tony Curtis' part as the dashing Leslie. The cinematography and music were superb!

The greatest pie fight ever put on film

Author: jmdata from Adelaide, Australia
3 June 1999

This movie is one of Blake Edwards funniest films. it also contains the greatest pie fight ever put on film. Stirling performances by everyone with Natalie Woods looking her loveliest. Tony Curtis sending himself up was superb. Jack Lemmon and Peter Falk were hilarious.

A terrific movie in every aspect!

Author: Gregory Donner from Elkhart, Indiana
26 May 1999

You can't fault this movie. Jack Lemmon is perfect as Professor Fate, Tony Curtis as the hero, and all the others are equally fitting. From the music to the one-liners, you'll have a hard time not watching this more than once.

A great comedy

Author: Michael Muldowney (m_muldowney@yahoo.com) from Dublin, Ireland
19 March 1999

A great comedy which was much imitated but never bettered. I first saw this film in the last 60's as a young child. In those days (pre video and only one TV station) movies got re-released constantly so it was possible for films to have a theater life of several years. Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon are as good here as they were in SOME LIKE IT HOT, but it's Peter Falk as Prof. Fate's dim-witted side-kick Max who steals the show. His entry into the middle of a huge pie fight is still one of the funniest moments in movie history.

Very, very funny.

Author: Frazier from Idaho Falls, Idaho
6 March 1999

This is a love story surrounded by humor that is indeed absurd at times but---it is meant to be so. A wonderful movie to show young people who want to know how one can be entertained without carnage and a heavy emphasis on sex. A must see if you have not.

Page 10 of 15: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]