IMDb > Come Drink with Me (1966) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Come Drink with Me More at IMDbPro »Da zui xia (original title)

Magnificent martial arts movie...

Author: poe426 from USA
16 July 2012

Outstanding martial arts masterpiece, with Ms. Cheng (as Golden Swallow) doing some fancy footwork under the expert direction of King Hu (whose classic A TOUCH OF ZEN is another masterpiece). The incredibly fluid tracking shots of Cheng, as she nimbly battles her way spinning and lunging down stone temple steps and across courtyards, are must-see. There's also a rooftop chase that clearly inspired a similar scene in CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON (itself another masterpiece). The action in COME DRINK WITH ME is infinitely superior to the speeded-up camera-work, wirework and cgi all too common in today's martial arts movies (which should rightly be called "mechanical martial arts movies"). Even the magical elements (the use of chi) are handled in an interesting way. If you want to impress a non-fan, show them COME DRINK WITH ME: it'll make a believer out of them.

Very good but a poorly subtitled film from Genius Products

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
9 March 2009

My score of 8 does not mean that the original COME DRINK WITH ME (DA ZUI XIA) deserves this score. This score is for the Genius Products DVD version. While on one hand I am very, very glad the film was not poorly dubbed into English but actually features a subtitled version, the titles are very, very bad. Oddly, the subbing appeared to get worse as the film progressed! I knew something was amiss when they kept referring to a female as 'he' and 'sir' but later in the film the subtitles often made even less sense--like the translation from Chinese to subtitles was being done by a poor computer program not a human being who truly understood the languages. Now this DVD is not all bad--at least the copy is as pristine as you can find--with a clean and crisp print. Thank goodness for something positive to say about the copy.

As for the technical merits of the film, the martial arts action is not the best I've seen, but it is very, very good--and quite a bit better than the typical film of the genre. Most of the blows appear to actually connect and the sword action is very good as well. The people making the film actually knew kung fu and they are impressive to watch. This is NOT a film where blows obviously miss and there are lots of squashing celery and the typical slapping sounds for special effects.

The story is pretty interesting and takes you by surprise here and there. The leader of a band of thieves is caught by the government and will be executed. However, the gang captures the son of the governor and plans on killing him unless they get their leader back in five days. In response, the government sends in a special agent who turns out to be the son's sister. She is extremely skilled and is planning on taking on the gang--not returning their evil leader.

While this plot seems pretty straight-forward, there's much more to it. In the midst of all this wanders a beggar who is definitely much more than he appears to be. When the lady is injured, he steps forward to help and he turns out to be a much more potent fighter than anyone realized. While he does help her achieve justice, he also has another task at hand--to exact justice for the murder of his master.

Overall, this is definitely one of the better films of the genre and is well worth seeing. However, if you can find a non-dubbed and non-Genius DVD (if that's possible), you may find the film is a bit better than an 8. I sure hope this is possible, as the film deserves a much better translation into English.

Pretty awesome!

Author: zetes from Saint Paul, MN
3 August 2008

Having been very disappointed in King Hu's most famous film, A Touch of Zen, I was actually eager to see one of his other supposed masterpieces. I wanted to see if the guy just didn't work for me or what. Fortunately, his earlier film, Come Drink with Me, made for Shaw Brothers, impressed me a lot. I would still complain about the choppy editing during the kung fu sequences, which not only makes it difficult to understand what's going on, but also makes the martial arts magic less believable. But while there are a few brief scenes where I thought the editing was weak in such a way, there are three extended action sequences that are eye-popping and heart-stopping. Cheng Pei-Pei, best known now for her latter-day role in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, plays a powerful kung fu student trying to rescue her brother, who has been kidnapped by a gang of dissidents, led by the chalk-faced Hung Lieh Chen. He's one of the all-time great bad guys, and I love his cohorts, as well. The film is full of fantastic character design. Cheng teams up with Hua Yueh, a drunken beggar who is secretly a kung fu master. What really comes through is Hu's supreme visual sense. It definitely made me more interested in the man's works, and even in revisiting A Touch of Zen.

A must-see for martial arts movie fans.

Author: Abyss47 from United States
11 March 2013

Shaw Brothers. Shaw Brothers. Shaw Brothers. We meet again.

Okay, so one day I was sitting around browsing the internet, and I thought to myself, "Hmm, why don't I download a bunch of Asian films to watch later?" Just in case you haven't already guessed, this was one of them. After watching several of the others, I finally decided to sit down to this one. The reason this one caught my eye is because it starred the lovely Pei-pei Cheng, who you may know from "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon", where she played the not-so-lovely Jade Fox. Those of you who know me know I love watching women kick some ass in movies, and this was a Shaw Brothers film on top of that, so I just HAD to get up in that.

Yeah, it was pretty damn cool. Those of you who have to have some sort of deep plot and spellbinding visuals in every film you watch probably wouldn't get a whole lot out of this, but I have an open mind and this is my kind of film, so I instantly took a liking to it. Pei-pei Cheng was fascinating to watch and undeniably beautiful. She just has that sort of presence that draws you to her. Whenever she wasn't on screen, the movie definitely felt lacking in my eyes, but thankfully, she's on screen pretty darn often considering she's the main character. The fight choreography was obviously impressive, and there were some brutal scenes that will likely stay with me for a while, such as when a young apprentice is cruelly murdered in cold blood. For being as old as it is, this is also a very fast-paced film. Sure, there are some slow spots - not that they bothered me - but it's constantly moving forward, which made it all the more engaging. The story itself is solid for this type of film, but nothing too surprising. The print I saw had very good visual and audio quality, which was nice. Great, now I'm just stalling to make the review longer.

Well, it's simply a good film. I wasn't blown away, but I enjoyed it about as much as I'm capable of enjoying a martial arts film from the 60's these days. The fights alone are worth the price of admission, so if you haven't already seen this, what the hell have you been watching lately?

Another SB masterpiece!

Author: Stofft from Sweden
2 May 2005

Even if this film goes way back in time (back to 1966) this film is very well shot indeed.

And from what I have heard this was the film that kind of set the standard for future kung fu flix in this particular style. Flying ppl, big battles and beautiful action style.

No need to really lay so much upon the story on what happens in it. as it can be read on the main page.. but I do wanna announce that if you wanna get this one on DVD you should look for the re-mastered version released/made by the Asian company Celestial Pictures/ IVL (Intercontinental Video Limited)

They have done a great job in shaping up this film.. so ti more or less looks like it could have been produced today.

Also comes with lots of Xtras like interviews with the cast and other fun stuff.

Well worth having in your collection

Dance Fight!

Author: gavin6942 from United States
24 April 2016

A group of bandits kidnaps the governor's son and demands their imprisoned leader to be set free in exchange.

Director King Hu said that he had deliberately chosen a ballet dancer for the lead female role, "rather than fighting. I'm very interested in Peking opera and particularly its movement and action effects, although I think it's difficult to express them adequately on stage, where the physical limitations are too great." King Hu was said to recognize that some of the fights are stylized as opposed to realistic but claimed that combat in his movies was "always keyed to the notion of dance." I had always thought "kung fu" movies were very much based around dancing. Is this unusual, or was it a new style? I am curious. What we see today is so choreographed I have a hard time imagining it any other way.

Come Drink with Me

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
18 February 2016

I found this Chinese / Mandarin film in the book 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die, that was obviously the only reason I found out about and watched it, so I hoped it would be worthwhile, directed by King Hu (A Touch of Zen). Basically a government garrison is ambushed by a clan of bandits, their evil plan is to get their Clan Chief back, they capture and take hostage the son of the general for an exchange. The general's other offspring, and an Official from the government, is a young girl known as Golden Swallow (Cheng Pei-Pei), she is sent by the Governor to save the Official. Disguised as a man, the Golden Swallow will confront the bandits group, led by the evil Jade Faced Tiger (Chen Hung Lieh), who is not easy to deal with. Golden Swallow finds a new ally in Drunken Knight (or Drunken Cat) (Yueh Hua), together they will team up against the bandits and try to overcome the crisis, and to rescue the General's son. Also starring Yang Chih- Ching as Abbot Liao Kung and Feng Yi as Chen Hou. Cheng, who would reprise her role in follow-up film Golden Swallow, and would later go on to star as the villain in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, gives a good performance as the fearless swordswoman, I did understand the story of the female warrior sent by her governor father to negotiate the release of her brother, but having to read subtitles I lost track with most other stuff going on, but the fight and bloody sequences just about rescued it, overall it's not a bad martial arts action adventure. Worth watching!

Legendary movie

Author: CrashHolly8 from Varkaus, Finland
3 February 2015

Its not first popular movie in China. Tak-Hing Kwan acted in Wong-Fei Hung movies between 1949-1970, but Come Drink with Me will go down as 1 of the most impressive sword play movies. This movie starts with generals son being escorted and then group of bandits kidnaps son. They want their in prisoned leader to be set free and then they will let generals son go. General wants his son back, so he sends Golden Swallow to deal with bandits and next scene is in inn and Pei-Pei Cheng demonstrates her martial arts skills. They throw chair at Cheng, but Cheng hits chair and chair wends broken. They also throw vine bottle and Cheng hits that as well and it flies to bandit. Last, they throw money and Cheng has sticks, where money gets in. Then Cheng throws money to wall and then bandits takes them swords and starts to fight Cheng, when fight is over, Cheng asks for room and she gets one. Drunken Cat tries to go to Chengs room, but Cheng rejects him and Cat steals some of Chengs stuff. Short chase scene between Cat and Swallow. Next scene Jackie Chan is 12 years old and he sings with other boys. Then Swallow asks, where is generals son, then Cat and kids sing a song and that song was clue, where generals son was being captured. Without wasting any time, Golden Swallow goes to Temple and fights Jade Faced Tiger. That was really impressive fight scene, because Swallow takes 10+ guys and Swallows martial arts skills are being tested. End of that fight, Swallow gets poison dart and Drunken Cat saves her. At Cats place, Swallow is getting her powers back, but at same time, group of bandits comes to visit Cats place. Cat kills them all. Then Cat has plan to claim, that Swallow killed those guys, so Cat goes to visit bandits and gets some food and vine. Same time Abbot goes to visit bandits and he says Cat killed those men, but when they're about to see Cat, he has escaped. Now Swallow has all her powers and its final fight scene. Bandits attack good guys. Swallow fights Jade Faced Tiger and kills him. Cat fights Abbot and lets him go, but Abbot goes to Cats place and both are bloody, Cat kills Abbot. End of movie. Popular actors: Pei-Pei Cheng, Hua Yueh, Yi Feng, Ying-Chieh Han, Li Jen Ho, Hsia Hsu, Feng Ku, Yin Tze Pan, Siu Tin Yuen, Jackie Chan and Mars.

Come Drink With Me

Author: t-van-rossum7 from Netherlands
17 December 2011

Da Zui Xia: I can really recommend this film. It's entertaining, humorous and fascinating. The martial art skills of Pei Pei Cheng are impressive. And the idea of a meat-eating monk as a bad guy interesting. The drunken fighter is a funny guy who had to put up with the apprehension of Golden Swallow (Pei Pei Cheng) but is meanwhile helping her whenever he can. It is just too bad that the films by Shaw Brothers were boycotted at the time in favour of Golden Harvest, where they had to start their own cinema as their films were not allowed to be shown elsewhere, because they really made very good movies in that era.

Drunken Cats, Golden Swallows, and 60's martial arts entertainment.

Author: lewiskendell from United States
1 August 2011

Unintentionally hilarious English subtitles and occasionally clumsy editing aside (consider it part of the charm), Come Drink with Me is a fun, old-fashioned martial arts romp. The story is simple. A gang of bandits kidnap the son of a governor, in a bid to exchange him for their captured and soon to be executed leader. Golden Swallow, a fierce (and pretty) warrior and sister to the captured man, comes to free him. Lots of sword-fighting ensues. Oh, and she's aided by a beggar known alternatively as the Drunken Cat and the Drunk Hero, which is cool for reasons that surely don't have to be explained.

If you enjoyed other Shaw Brothers films, Come Drink with Me will be a pretty sure bet for you. Maybe the fights aren't as satisfying compared to the complex choreography of today's martial arts epics, but it's got a classic charm that some will eat up. And many of the most revered martial arts movies of today were clearly influenced by what was done here.