IMDb > Crack in the World (1965) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Crack in the World

Crack in the World More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Flawed science, but a fun movie...

Author: joseph t from ohio, usa
10 November 2004

Yes, let's put this to bed right away. The scientific premise is flawed. We now know that the crust of the Earth is not a solid shell, but riddled through with many cracks. Not only are these not harmful, they are an essential component and feature of a geologically active world. It is how the Earth renews itself, builds land, and promotes life. There is little mankind can do in the way of "cracking" the Earth that the Earth has not done itself, many times over, in much greater magnitude. But, that said, this is still a fun movie.

The pace of action and buildup to the spectacular climax is first-rate. I found myself just waiting for the next disaster to make itself manifest, be it an earthquake, volcano, tsunami, or all three. The underlying message is still sound: mankind should use caution in tinkering with the forces of nature. A time-worn premise, to be sure, but no less valid today. We as a species are young and have much to learn, by being aware of the hidden forces of nature and the unintended consequences of good-intentioned tinkering.

The cast is quite good. Sci-fi stalwart Dana Andrews is the featured player, of course, but the other actors do some good work. For it's time, the special effects are well-done. Like any well-paced disaster film, as the action races to a climax, we find ourselves pulling for the "good" guys against, hey, wait a minute, there are no "bad guys", just the unleashed forces of nature, knowing no good or evil, just following their natural course. It's a fun twist and makes you think.

Overall, it's hard not to recommend "Crack in the World" for a fun couple of hours' escapism and entertainment. Just suspend the disbelief a bit and go along for the ride.

60's Sci-Fi apocalypse flick still screens well due to good acting and great script!

Author: Chuck H (cjhora@worldnet.att.net) from Cary, North Carolina
9 September 2002

This movie was an anachronism when it was made in 1965--It was WAY above the level that audience sophistication demanded in those days. Although science has moved forward since then(plate tectonics,etc.), it does not detract from the essential viability of this film. For a Sci-Fi movie involving the apocalypse, this story hangs together well and requires relatively little "suspension of disbelief." The plot builds suspense very nicely and at an increasingly ominous and break-neck pace. Typical of British films, the script is rather well written, and Andrews, Moore and Scott(the latter two were married in real life), as well as the usual cast of Britishers do a wonderful acting job. Special effects are excellent and include many convincing shots of real volcanic events. The scene in which the fissures converge is awe-inspiring, though the final massive event could benefit from modern CGI effects. The science--I should know--is not all that bad! The musical score is first-rate, and adds greatly to the movie's charm, building suspense beautifully. Fire up the microwave, get the popcorn, settle down and watch this one--IF you can find a copy!!!

Science is a bit dated, but a fun movie nonetheless.

Author: Teresa from Houston, Texas
9 December 2001

Interesting story about a dying scientist who plans to tap the geothermal energy beneath the Earth's crust, with dire consequences. Andrews, Scott and Moore, as well as Alexander Knox, all give excellent performances. Special effects are superb and very believable. I remember seeing this on TV when I was a kid, and it scared me to DEATH. Seeing it again as an adult, it is not quite as scary, but is still fast-paced and entertaining. Sadly, it is not available on video to my knowledge. Perhaps someone at Paramount will read this and take the hint.

While the science is now dated, thanks to the discovery of plate tectonics (the Earth's crust is divided into may separate "plates", and therefore already has many "cracks"), the story is still entertaining. The interaction between Dr Sorenson (Andrews), an aging scientist trying for one last victory; his young wife Maggie (Scott), a scientist in her own right; and Dr Rampion (Moore), the project's geologist and an old flame of Maggie's to boot; works very well, even if it is a bit formulaic.

All in all it is a fun movie, and definitely worth the time to see it if you can. Paramount would do well to re-release it on video and especially widescreen DVD. How about it, guys?

I Agree

Author: XPDay (cpday@bestweb.net) from South Salem NY
10 February 2001

This is an outstanding movie. The acting and direction are well above par for this genre. The cinematography and effects are truly eye-popping. The tension builds to a spectacular climax.

I am shocked to find that it is not available as video in any format!

Worth a view

Author: Nicholas Rhodes from Ile-de-France / Paris Region, France
13 October 2001

This film falls into one of my favourite categories, that is to say the category " Man Tampers With Nature ". Shot in Technicolor with superb picture quality, it is a feast for the eyes ( Why can't they get the same Technicolor quality in today's films ?? ) The sci-fi films of the 50s and 60s are feasts for the eyes and visual gems ( excuse the tautology ! )The story of this one is fairly limited, but the special effects are wonderful and realistic. I put the film on a par with others such as "Invaders from Mars", "Incredible Shrinking Man" etc. Obviously, the may be scientific inaccuracies, and science has advanced since 1965 but there again, this is an entertaining film and not a technically correct documentary.

All around, crack-lin good adventure!

Author: seashellz from United States
5 January 2003

This is as good as it gets...adventure, handsome steely jawed heroes, beautiful dames, decent (for 1965) SPFX...this needs to be on a WS DVD, so get crack-in, Paramount!

Fun sci-fi suspense.

Author: jckruize from North Hemis
31 October 2001

Reasonably intelligent, suspenseful science-fiction drama which is still worth a look despite modern science/plate tectonics theory having rendered it largely superfluous. Fine acting by Dana Andrews and Kieron Moore help elevate the proceedings.

GORGO director Eugene Lourie supervised the special effects, and there are several standout sequences of miniatures photography, along with the usual requisite stock footage, some good and some NSG. There's also a well-handled set piece of heat-suited scientists descending into a volcanic caldera in order to place an A-bomb that generates some good suspense. (We'll overlook the subsequent post-blast scene where there is disconcertingly no shock wave.) I saw this on a double bill (it was the 2nd feature) with a Japanese giant monster flick back in the 60's; can't remember the monster (maybe Ghidrah?) but this is the picture that sticks in my mind. The denouement is thought-provoking.

Great Saturday afternoon sci-fi adventure stuff...

Author: bobbyf from United States
27 December 2001

Loved this movie as a kid, and even today, it stands up as great B-movie sci-fi stuff. Not a dull moment, and they even find time to throw in a sordid love triangle! Nothing else quite like it-except for modern Deep Impact/Armageddon stuff. Wish I could get it on video/DVD.

The Original Earthquake

Author: Brian Washington (Sargebri@att.net) from Los Angeles, California
3 October 2003

This is a pretty decent "end of the world" flick from the 1960's. The story is good and the acting is pretty decent. The only flaw in this film is the love triangle, which seems to bog the film down. However, besides the story and the acting the special effects are great considering that this film was released in 1965. I just wish that they would show it more often on television.

Good movie, BUT...

Author: cpbrewer from Washington State
15 June 2002

...I CAN'T BELIEVE IT HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED ON VIDEO!!!! WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!!! While not a GREAT film, it nevertheless is entertaining with decent special effects for it's time. I recently recommended it to a friend only to find it's not available. For shame! I, for one, shall be eagerly awaiting it's release.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]