IMDb > "Tammy" (1965) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Tammy" More at IMDbPro »

Childhood memories

Author: tforbes-2 from Massachusetts, USA
27 August 2008

I remember seeing this program as a 6 year old back in 1965, and always looked forward to seeing it. On Friday nights, I would watch this, along with "The Flintstones" and "The Addams Family." For some reason, though, I did not see the shows that followed, such as "Honey West." Though my memory is hazy, I remember I enjoyed the show very much as a kid. From what I can gather, this series, based on the Debbie Reynolds film of the same name, seems to have been ABC's answer to "The Beverly Hillbillies," only that we have a teenage protagonist here. I think it reflected ABC's more youthful sensibilities.

Maybe the show might have been corny even by 1965 standards. However, I enjoyed the show very much, and was disappointed when it left the air in 1966. From the little bit I saw of it on YouTube recently, it seems like a sweet show. It certainly seems to be a very family friendly show, and Debbie Watson seems like an appealing performer, so right for such a role.

And, especially these days, there is something really nice about a show such as this one. Tammy, Tammy …

A Show That Could Have Been A Hit Is Still Worth A Look

Author: AudioFileZ from United States
25 December 2016

Best line: "Oh mama, look at those awful people"! Pure gold in the funniest politically incorrect way. You know back when we didn't take sensitivity to absurd levels. And such was the climate that brought us The Beverly Hillbillies. It was a huge hit and naturally TV would return to the well with a slightly different wrapping. This one would meld the "fish out of water" rural lovely character previously seen in several "Tammy" films.

This show probably deserved better than the one (i.e. 26 episodes as was the time's custom) season. The cast was really good with the central character, Tammy, played by Debbie Watson. Watson might remind you of a noticeably more upwardly mobile, yet stuck in her rural verbal-isms, Ellie May Clampett (Donna Douglas). She had the ripping good looks along with the innocence for the role. Perhaps she had to try a bit too much to be "backwoods", especially compared to Donna Douglas, but she managed to overcome it with shear charisma. Great supporting cast members include Denver Pyle (Grandpa to Tammy), Frank McGrath (Uncle to Tammy), George Furth (Mr. Brent's Assistant), Dorothy Green (Socialite always chasing millionaire Brent), and Donald Woods (wise and kind millionaire Brent). The show had the "right stuff" with all of this talent no doubt.

So, the problem resulting in what would be a single season was that The Beverly Hillbillies owned the formula and the writing was never as good as that show. Call it a late entry into a pigeonhole that no longer as fresh and was consumed by a few fish out of water type superior shows. Introduced a few years earlier, and with better plot lines, this premise and cast might have carved a more memorable niche that easily could have had a five year, or so, run. Good enough however to recommend the entire single season. There is nothing like it today and in that reasoning it stands out as something fun that has some great humorous dialogue.