IMDb > "My Mother the Car" (1965) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"My Mother the Car"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"My Mother the Car" More at IMDbPro »

"VERY" far from the worst!

Author: yenlo from Auburn, Me
21 March 2001

VERY far from the worst TV show of all time. Granted that the ideas for stories probably would have grown thin had this series lasted any longer than three years or so. It did have it's moments of humor and it did last for 30 episodes which is a lot more than a lot of other real Turkeys!

Not a bad concept.

Author: SanDiego from The Beach
16 March 2000

Nothing bad said about this show is true. One of the shortest running TV shows? Nope. Many, many have been canceled after 13 weeks (a usual trial run), and many fine shows after six. There have even been a few after just one or two episodes! "My Mother The Car" ran for a full season...30 episodes to be exact, which is more than most shows give us in a year now days. One of the strangest concepts for a TV show? Nope. Do you remember these scenarios? A flying nun befriends a casino playboy, a sexy female genie lives with her astronaut "master," a sexy female witch lives with her ad executive husband, a family of vampires, werewolves, and their Frankenstein's monster of a father live in a middle class neighborhood, three gorgeous supermodels are detectives working for a playboy millionaire named Charlie...these are strange concepts! Not to mention talking horses, talking chimps, talking dogs, robotic cops, and comedies about dead people (from "Topper" to "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir," and my personal favorite, "Jennifer Slept Here" with Ann Jillian). Those are strange concepts! Do you remember "Pink Lady and Jeff?" "The Howard Cosell Variety Hour?" Now THOSE were strange concepts! One of the worst TV shows ever? Nope. Turn on your TV now and turn the channels. Point made. Jerry Van Dyke is funny, always has been, always will be. He hasn't changed his style of comedy at all. Ann Sothern was perfect as the voice of "mother" and I don't think her talent needs defending. What guy didn't have a relationship with his car in the sixties? It's called satire! It's just that not a lot of people watched. That's all. So goes programming, advertising, and the whim of the people. Now if Nick at Nite or TV Land will only have a "My Mother the Car/Jennifer Slept Here" hour I will die a happy person...and come back to life in a TV sitcom as a supermodel's bicycle seat...now that's a concept!

Wacky premise, wacky characters, wacky car...should have worked.

Author: anonymous
15 May 1999

There's been scores of bad TV sitcoms (due to bad writing, bad acting, bad production values), but this is not really one of them. The premise (a man's mother is rein-CAR-nated) can hardly be considered out of the norm in a world of Jeannie, Samantha, the Flying Nun, Herman Munster, Lost in Space's robot, and Gilligan. Jerry Van Dyke (who chose this role over the Gilligan role) does the same humor he always does and Ann Sothern's voice as "Mother" adds class and talent. Wacky premise, wacky character, wacky car...should have worked. Nick at Nite should put this on the air where it belongs.

One of the writers

Author: Mitch Persons (mper1776@aol.com) from United States
22 August 1999

I was one of the writers for this series. I wrote one episode ("The Blabbermouth" was the title.) It is quite true that at the time the series was on the air, it was considered one of the worse sitcoms in the history of TV. However, over the years, MY MOTHER, THE CAR has achieved something of a cult status. It is broadcast every Mother's Day on TV Land.

I have always been proud of my contribution to this much-maligned and underrated series.

Perhaps this show needs to be reexamined.

Author: jim riecken (youroldpaljim)
11 February 2002

I have not seen this show since it was first aired on T.V. back in the mid sixties. I was around seven years old at the time and I don't recall it being all that bad. Then again I was only seven, but most people I have spoken to who remember it and who are older than me don't recall it being that bad either. I can still can hum the shows theme song and I remember vividly Jerry Van Dyke talking to the car and his "mother" talking back through the radio. I remember the show didn't last long and afterwards hearing all kinds of bad things about. The shows name became a buzz word for bad T.V. Jokes about this show sometimes popped up in some sixties sitcoms including "The Munsters".

I think it would be interesting to see this show again after all these years. Perhaps seen through todays eyes it might not look as bad as it did to critics back in the sixties. While I don't think it would turn out to an unsung TV classic, perhaps todays viewers might find things to like about this TV show that viewers and critics back in the sixties did not appreciate. However, its unlikely this show will ever turn up on T.V. again, if only because there were not enough episodes shot to make it worthwhile for syndication. As far as I know, it is not available on video, legally or illegally. Maybe this show is not as bad as it looked to people when it was first on. On the other hand maybe "My Mother The Car" is as bad as critics said it was. Until this show turns up again somewhere, only then can an objective reevaluation be made.

One of my faves!

Author: Kiddman from Oregon
2 March 2003

This hilarious, slapsticky show was probably expected to be a hit by the TV execs, based on the recent success of such movies as "The Great Race", "Those Magnificent Men And Their Flying Machines", and others. Somehow, viewers never caught on, and the show died quietly, becoming an instant industry joke. I'll never understand why, though. Everyone in it was funny, esp. Avery Schreiber as a Mack Sennett-like, mustache-twiddling, posing, crazy villain, always trying to steal the car, but never even getting close. This is one show I'd like to see in reruns.

One of my favorite shows of all time.

Author: DropTop013 from United States
2 August 2005

I admittedly was VERY young when My Mother the Car was on (about 5), but I remember EVERY episode I watched. It's the only show from that era aside from Star Trek that I can remember watching with my dad. I think this show may be the reason I turned out to be a real 'gearhead' in later life! It took me YEARS to realize that there was no such car company as PORTER, and I actually spent years trying to find one! (I only found out it was a Barris Custom when I was 16.) I think if given the chance today, the concept would work (look how long Knight Rider lasted!) Jerry Van Dyke always gets a bad rap when this show is brought up...if I were shown a script for This show and Gilligan's Island, I would have chosen My Mother the Car also--it was more believable!

It may have been the worst show ever,but the concept was not that bad

Author: rcj5365 from Durham, North Carolina
9 June 2004

"My Mother The Car" was without a doubt one of the worst TV shows of all time,but it was not the shortest running TV show of all time. In fact the series ran a full season--30 episodes,all in color,which is much more than most shows give us in a year these days. Now,this wasn't the stupidest concept for a TV-series,but I can think of several that are far off worst than "My Mother The Car". Its amazing that the network which ran this series,NBC-TV,gave it the green light for its one season on the air,from September of 1965 to May of 1966. Lets face facts: This was originally to be titled The Jerry Van Dyke Show,since his older brother,Dick Van Dyke had his own series which was on a rival network. But here is the scenario: A family man is surprised by the reincarnation of his departed mother(voiced by Ann Sothern)into a form of a mid-1920's Porter automobile that talks to him whenever his family isn't around. Sounds familiar? The show was created by the writing team of Chris Heyward and Allan Burns,whom after this would go on to write and create for the shows "Get Smart", "The Mary Tyler Moore Show","Barney Miller","All In The Family",and so much more. Also produced by legendary producer/director Rod Amateau,whom was behind classic 1950's-early 1960's shows "Burns and Allen","Love That Bob","Dobie Gillis","Mister Ed",and so much more.

Was "My Mother The Car" one of the strangest concepts ever devised for a TV show? Not exactly given some of the scenarios that came before it: (1) A sister in a covenant in Puerto Rico,who flies around,weighs 90 pounds and befriends a casino playboy;(2) A gorgeous female genie lives with her astronaut "master";(3)a sexy female witch with super magical powers lives with her advertising executive husband and is being meddled into affairs by the female's mother,who is a witch too; (4)a family of ghouls and their Frankenstein monster of a father live in a middle class neighborhood;(5)a owner who has a talking horse takes over a suburban household and basically wrecks havoc too;(6)two beautiful ladies bring in a man into their house and makes them their roommate;(7)several castaways are shipwrecked on a uncharted island where they make the best of things in order to get along;(8)three gorgeous models are detectives working for a playboy millionaire named Charlie? THESE ARE THE STRANGEST CONCEPTS EVER DEVISED FOR TELEVISION. Not to mention comedies based on dead people,and a world full of talking chimps,horses,dogs,cats,robotic cops,superheroes,secret agents and variety shows. They had a lot of that during the mid-1960's and 1970's.....

From "Topper" to "F-Troop","The Ghost and Mrs.Muir","Mister Terrific", not to mention in the same category Ann Jillian's one time sitcom "Jennifer Slept Home" to "Manimal"..now those are strange concepts? Who remembers the variety series "Pink Lady and Jeff" not to mention "The Brady Bunch Variety Hour",and "Howard Cosell's Variety Hour",or "Donnie and Marie" and to an lesser extent,"Me And The Chimp?" Now these were the worst variety shows of all time!!!!

Most recently,for those who have never seen My Mother The Car,the series,cable channel TRIO has resurrected this series from the graveyard of bad TV shows and part of its biggest FLOPS of all time. It also gives those who have never got a chance to see a great comedic talent like Jerry Van Dyke,which in my opinion was at his best here. A grand showcase of brilliant talent as only Jerry Van Dyke can deliver on cue along with Ann Sothern who is perfect as the voice of the mother. Catch this lost series on TRIO,pop culture TV!

But I still remember the theme song...

Author: Artie Van Why (Avanwhy@aol.com) from Pennsylvania
23 November 1998

I was 12, and know I liked the show, but don't really remember much of the detail... however, it's one of the few television theme songs that I still remember the lyrics too (go figure)...

"Everybody knows, in the the second life we all come back sooner or later.."

I was hooked

Author: tarnower from New York
8 March 2006

I was about 10 when this show was on, and I watched as many episodes as I could.

That said, I ROTFL in a "Get Smart" rerun I saw a while back. The bad guy is dying and:

Max (reassuringly): "Help is on the way."

Bad guy (in great pain): "I'll never make it, but do one thing for me."

Max (compassionately): "What?"

Bad guy: "Tell me 'My Mother the Car' is coming back on TV."

Max (with a puzzled look): "Why?"

Bad guy: "Then I won't mind going so much."

That pretty much summed up the opinions from the rest of my family when I tried to watch this show.