The T.A.M.I. Show (1964) Poster

The Must-See Definitive Concert Movie
bettycjung22 November 2017
11/22/17. If you can only watch one concert on film, then this is the one. A National Film Registry pick that is worthy of this distinction. This concert film captured the excitement of the '60s by bringing together singers and groups from several genres to put on what is probably the most exciting concert movie ever. While current music award shows attempt what The T.A.M.I. Show did, they do not even come close. If you want to know what Rock and Roll was/is all about, watch this!
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten."
Ulf Kjell Gür26 June 2017
Get together! The end message of the t.a.m.i. show. Rolling Stones performing this theme song with the Supremes and the rest of the cast. Amazing what we could do in the 60's. And the generation gap. Watching Lesley Gore, three years younger than Mick Jagger, but looking like something out of the Grand Ole Opry. And James Brown. Having problems with getting the vocals right because of his many other activities. And the amount of inspiration from James Brown to Mick Jagger. Chuck Berry opens the show looking confused. The Supremes are absolutely smashing! Diana Ross at twenty. All of this at the old Santa Monica Civic. Got to see the Barbarians as well. And Darlene Love. Phil Spector conducts? Terri Garr is go-go dancing. "There is nothing new except what has been forgotten."
It's The Grooviest, Man!
Dalbert Pringle1 July 2015
1964's The T.A.M.I. Show (T.A.M.I. is short for Teenage Awards Music International) was the very first live-concert movie of the rock era. And, believe me, this long-unavailable, landmark film is a real groovy treat for any ardent fan of early pop music.

Featuring a bevy of over-zealous go-go dancers and hysterically screaming fans, The T.A.M.I. Show proficiently showcased the budding talent of early-1960's pop music sensations from both sides of the Atlantic.

Filmed in b&w, at Santa Monica's Civic Auditorium (a 3000-seat venue), The T.A.M.I. Show's biggest highlights were The Beach Boys (performing "Surfer Girl"), The Supremes (performing "Baby Love"), and The Rolling Stones (performing "Time Is On My Side").

Directed by Steve Binder - This 2-hour music extravaganza also featured the singing talents of James Brown, Marvin Gaye and Lesley Gore, to name but a few of the 14+ performers.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
James Brown insanity
SnoopyStyle18 February 2014
Two concerts were held at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium on October 28 and 29, 1964. It was edited into a film released on December 29, 1964. It gathered some great acts of that era, and called it Teenage Awards Music International.

It starts off with a solid Chuck Berry. The Beach Boys were edited out originally, but they've since been returned. The Supremes were great. IMO the best has to be the one and only James Brown. His performance is insane. He is by far the best of the concert. Following James Brown, the Rolling Stones close out the concert. Honestly they looked glassy eyed and dazed. I would not be surprised if they were chemically enhanced. Certainly they don't make them like that anymore. The music sounds sharp even with the screaming kids in the background.
Must Have Classic-Pay Attention to Lesley Gore's Set
Sal Paradise23 March 2013
You can't get any better than this, for both concert films and for content. If you weren't around then the film will let you in on why so many think the period was so great. If you were then it'll reinforce you memories. Steve Binder, who did the Elvis Comeback Special (1968), produces. There are so many technical devices used in making TAMI that I'll leave it to others to explain, but they do come out in how the concert feels, the experience and the sound. Binder does a great job. You notice no detail missed as the house band is tops, another Binder trademark. Listen to them in Lesley Gore's set, especially in 'You Don't Own Me', an overlooked classic on its own, and you can see what I mean. Gore's performance anchors the wide ranging acts and gives TAMI a lot of its era feel. If you don't buy the DVD (came out in 2011) your just plain nuts. A solid classic, a must have. For all music fans.
God Damn It
pacare4 November 2010
Am United Kingdom 58 year old male. Seen lots of snippets now of this show from YouTube, but don't believe the TAMI show was ever broadcast here except for some excerpts over the years. It was truly our great loss. Lots of wonderful things on the show but my 3 favourites are 1. the Ronnettes Be My Baby (will always love Ronnie - so beautiful), 2. the oh so sexy dancing style of the beautiful girl dancers (never really bettered in my view- I can die happy now), and 3. "Molty" of the Barbarians drumming away so brilliantly on Hey Little Bird with what he had to contend with. Neil ps Stones weren't bad either but you all knew that didn't you.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The legendary rock concert of the '60's is FINALLY available (and restored)!
U.N. Owen16 September 2010
I'm one of the few who (mercifully) did not see the mutilated PBS version earlier this (2010) year. Finally, SHOUT was able to release (and, yes - WITH the Beach Boys performances restored) this totem of a time of amazing music and performances.

I saw this WHOLE film in the early 80's, here in NYC, at the (original) Irving Plaza. It was a 16mm print, and the place was PACKED (for those who don't know - Irving Plaza was THE place to go to for REAL punk music and alternative music concerts back then. It's still around, but - as far as I'm concerned, in name only).

The pandemonium on the screen was emphasised by the crowd attending this showing (if you don't know, The TAMI Show - and The Big TNT show were held in legal limbo for many years, so to see it - in any format was a treat). Watching it in this setting, one almost felt as if we were there. It was a very special night.

I'll agree with the consensus - James Brown's performance - RIVETING! REAL showmanship! One of my favourite performances (saying one was better than another in this film is impossible)was Marvin Gaye's. I don't want to just throw out superlatives, but - this movie is a must see for anyone interested in seeing a landmark bit of rock & roll. See this, and you'll get sick, thinking about the (very sad) state of music today. There was NO: auto-tuning, misogynistic, violence-riddled garbage. This was the whole SPECTRUM of rock music - with EVERY style represented.

For many years after, I pondered the thought; to try and do a TAMI show today would be impossible. The egos. The costs being demanded. Sure - everyone performing got paid, but, it was more than for the money they did this show.

I'm a huge Teri Garr fan, and seeing her (and Toni Basil!) doing the pony, , the jerk, the frug, the swim.... and so much more is just wild. Add to this, the incomparable Blossoms (and Ms. Darlene Love!).... there are no words to describe the talent encapsulated in this film.

If you're a parent, or just curious to see what rock music was REALLY like, then I highly recommend you purchase this landmark film.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wow! The T.A.M.I. Show is a great document of the rock concert scene as it was in 1964
tavm26 March 2010
Just watched on my DVR this edited version of The T.A.M.I. Show that aired on my PBS station, WLPB, a few weeks ago. Whenever a pledge break interrupted the program, Dean Torrance of the host duo of Jan & Dean provided many anecdotes of working with James Brown, and especially The Beach Boys. Despite some numbers and musical acts missing, I highly enjoyed this concert document of the big Top 40 stars of the time which, besides the ones I've already mentioned, included Chuck Berry, who was awesome as he segued from his version of "Maybelline" to that of Gerry & the Pacemakers who then performed "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying". Also nice to see Marvin Gaye performing "Can I Get a Witness" and The Miracles doing "You Really Got a Hold on Me". How about The Supremes' number of "Baby Love" with a really large closeup of lead singer Diana Ross? (Or was it "Where Did Our Love Go?" My mind is a bit scrambled concerning that one.) Or Lesley Gore combining "It's My Party" with its sequel song "Judy's Turn to Cry"? How cool was it seeing the hosts singing their surf hit "Little Old Lady from Pasedena" before introducing The Beach Boys as they went from "Surfin' USA" to "Surfer Girl" to "I Get Around" to "Dance, Dance, Dance"? The final two acts, though, really stole the show with James Brown doing what would become his legendary jumps and having a cape put on him before shaking it off seconds later and then, having Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones closing out with many blues songs with "Time Is on My Side" really getting the audiences' attention as evidenced by the camera showing a mostly white teenage female audience really screaming their heads off as they did during most of the show! Oh, and Mick and James really were impressive with their jumping here. I think I've said enough though I'd also like to mention that Toni Basil, best known for her video of "Hey, Mickey", is the assistant choreographer here and many of the moves done by the mostly female dancers look like something she'd have done at the time. Anyway, watching this for the first time on the public station really makes me want to watch the rest of it on DVD so if I ever get my hands on that, I may add some comments. So on that note, The T.A.M.I Show definitely comes highly recommended.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
sensational - and a great history lesson
mw156119 March 2010
I just saw this for the first time on PBS the other day, and I too must agree with other reviewers when I say that James Brown was ASTONISHING!!! I only wish that every person out there who thinks Michael Jackson is (or was) the greatest performer has an opportunity to see James Brown in action.

Most of the music was "live" with no audio enhancers and no lip syncing. The way music should be; you either got the talent to pull it off or else you don't.

One of the most amazing aspects of the film was that 99% of the 2600 people in the audience were white, suburban teenage girls, and I suspect that it was their first exposure to black artists like James Brown, Chuck Berry, Marvin Gaye, and Smokey Robinson. They were probably there for the Rolling Stones, but the Stones had the misfortune of following James Brown, and Mick Jagger's stage performance looked incredibly lame when pitted against the "Hardest working man in Show business"
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great! Make it available
slwhitson22 June 2009
I was one of the lucky ones who got to see this movie at an indoor theater in Ft. Worth when it was first released. The only regret is that I just saw it once. When we came out of the theater, we felt as if we had been to a real live concert--a very rare thing for kids my age (11) at that time. The James Brown performance was the greatest, and I absolutely fell in love with the sounds of The Beach Boys, as well as Jan and Dean. I had often wondered what happened to the movie, as I was interested in seeing it again. I just ran across the title when following up on the career of the actor Marvin Gaye in an old movie, who turned out to be the one and only singer. The T.A.M.I. Show was listed among his credits. I, too, wish Dick Clark Productions would release it for all of us to enjoy, instead of having to try buying a black market copy.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
James Brown was the BOMB!
PaulDA200016 June 2008
I was reading the comments and ran across a comment from Tim Rogers: "He said "Bad performance by James Brown, he seems to think that sweat and activity is all it takes".

I realize everyone has their own opinion, but he seems to be biased against James Brown because his other post on the movie ''Ski Party' and another movie on the same DVD completely ignores James Brown's performance of 'I Feel Good'and only mentions Leslie Gore, who he praised for her performance on the TAMI show!

The reaction of the mostly white audience, and the reaction of the musicians definitely show that James Brown stole the show on the TAMI Show. That is the single greatest performance on video of any entertainer in history. Not only do his feet move at blinding speed during 'Night Train', but his whole body movies, with a little 'nerve' twitch that he thought up. If you watch his feet with the Flames, you see he does 4 steps to their 2. 'Please Please Please' is the best version of that ever captured on film.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I Was There, Too
Pamela-58 March 2008
Well, I was there for the performance, too. I was 16 1/2 or 17. I attended Santa Monica High School. All the kids from school were invited to walk down the street to the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium if they were interested in seeing this show, free. I was. No, I didn't get on camera (as the other posting person did), nor did I wish to. But I have to say, it was one of the most exciting shows I had ever seen. The other posting person is correct: James Brown just blew the whole thing away. I was born and raised in Santa Monica, of white ex-farmers who came to Santa Monica from the Midwest in 1920, so it was pretty shocking to see James Brown's performance. I had never seen anything like it in my life. At that time, I thought James Brown was rather akin to some kind of wild monkey from Africa (sorry). I knew nothing about black folks then, and certainly nothing about Mr. Brown or his wonderful music. The Rolling Stones, Marvin Gaye, all the fabulous acts, all in one place. Phew! It was just fabulous. I do feel lucky, having been able to attend, free!
Paving The Way For Concert Films Later Down The Pipeline
Seamus28293 September 2007
I first encountered this gem sometime back in the early 80's,when it was screened as part of a rock & roll film/dance party at one of my local art galleries. I was but a mere babe in arms when this film was first released. Long before Martin Scorsce filmed 'The Last Waltz',with The Band (which for it's time was the penultimate concert film,until Jonathan Demme's 'Stop Making Sense' a few short years later), The T.A.M.I. Show was packing 'em in the local cinemas,with The Rolling Stones,James Brown, Eric Burdon & The Animals,etc. This was originally shot on video for T.V.,but was rejected,due to it's length (rock & roll was kept between thirty to sixty minutes). Fortunately,the producers of this film/video did a re-edit & aimed it for cinemas. Anybody who is interested in the history of rock & roll should seek this one out (I still wonder to this day why there isn't a soundtrack record/CD to it that is available)
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mick Jagger Watching James Brown
irabprice31 August 2006
I recall when I saw the original film that there was a cutaway of Mick Jagger watching James Brown perform. As I recall, his expression was "Do you expect me to go on after that? I purchased a DVD of the TAMI show and can't find the scene. Does anyone recall this in the original or any version of the film? Also, I find it a little hokie to have all the gogo dancers on the stage. It is a little distracting, but I guess in keeping with the times. Finally, can you imagine the Rolling Stones participating in a rock festival in which they had to join all the other bands at the end of the performance? I guess the lesson here is most of us start small before we end up where we are.
A simply sensational 60's rock concert winner
Woodyanders23 April 2006
That's the "Teenage Awards Music International" to you and me -- and without a doubt one of the best, grooviest, most utterly enjoyable and righteously raucous, hell, even historically relevant, mid-60's rock concert films to ever romp its way onto celluloid, a dazzling and eclectic mix of rowdy rock'n'roll bands and class act rhythm and blues groups that was performed live at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium and recorded on videotape and subsequently transferred to film for posterity's sake by American International Pictures.

Puckish surf-rock jokers Jan and Dean, who do "The Little Old Lady from Pasadena" and "Sidewalk Surfin'," are the goof-ball hosts of this non-stop musical extravaganza. Chuck Berry gets things off to a rip-roaring start, working his spindly wibble-wobble legs overtime as he tears the place up with roll-over-deadly renditions of "Johnny B. Goode," "Sweet Little Sixteen," and "Nadine." British Invasion band Gerry and the Peacemakers keep everything a hopping by first joining Chuck on "Maybellene,' then holding their own with such winners as the gentle, lulling "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying" and the life-affirming "It's Gonna Be Alright." Lovely feminist-rock pioneer Lesley Gore mesmerizes the audience with strong, commanding performances of the "sisters stand up to your man and don't take any guff" anthems "You Don't Own Me," "It's My Party," and "Judy's Turn to Cry." Smokey Robinson and the Miracles deliver a tasty, tuneful truckload of spot-on keening tenor harmonies, highlighted by the gorgeous "You Really Got a Hold on Me" and a crazed, chest-thumping, abdomen-itching cover of the wiggy novelty dance number "Mickey's Monkey." Marvin Gaye, looking mighty spiffy in an immaculate white tux, cuts a suave figure as he belts out "Hitchhike," "Pride and Joy," and "Can I Get a Witness." Representing flavor-of-the-month generic pop slop, the hopelessly dweeby Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas nerd it up something hysterical with several remarkably doofy songs. Diana Ross and the Supremes, sexy as all hell in clinging dresses and enormous heavily lacquered hairdos, strut their sultry stuff with a scorching medley which includes the luscious "Baby Love." Token grunged-up garage rock outfit the Barbarians do the sinewy caveman stomper "Hey Little Bird," with their famous one-armed drummer Moulty (he's got a hook hand!) gleefully trashing his kit during a gloriously protracted solo. James Brown rides the "Night Train" straight to Funkytown and back with his bring the house down manic antics, complete with wild dancing feet, hips and pelvis a swinging rotation action, the groin pulling splits, crashing onto the floor and getting up for more -- we're talking some seriously smoking theatrics, people. The Rolling Stones, surly, scruffy, arrogant and punk as all get out, burn up the place with lots of sizzling lowdown dirty blues covers, with their blazing rendition of Irma Thomas' "Time Is On My Side" rating as the definite stand-out. The Beach Boys, clad in white striped shirts, end things on a suitably stirring note, doing 100% on the money honey performances of the timeless classics "Surfin' U.S.A.," "Surfer Girl" and "I Get Around."

Steve Binder's razor-sharp direction captures the concert's merry, upbeat, bubbly atmosphere with consummate unwavering acuity and expertise. The really into it audience never cease to shriek their approval. A sense of both wide-eyed innocence and carefree, frivolous, oftentimes even downright explosive gaiety pervades throughout. The excellent black and white cinematography makes terrific use of stately crane shots, slow, graceful dissolves and snazzy super-impositions. Phil Spector music arranger Jack Nitzsche served as music director. Terri Garr and Toni Basil are among the nice-looking go-go gals who energetically frug their way across the stage. A marvelously vibrant, joyous and jubilant time capsule of the swell 60's rock scene.
TAMI Show
skg625 March 2006
I saw this show on video for the first time in 1983. I was in a 50's/60's band at the time so we considered it as "homework" and were looking for material. What we found was amazing! Everyone mentions James Brown (great performances here) and some mention the Rolling Stones (with Brian Jones, no less - now we know what started the phenomenon), but only 1 person mentioned Leslie Gore (if "You Don't Own Me" doesn't give you goose bumps, check your pulse) and what about Ike and Tina Turner. She has that audience spellbound. They had no clue what they were gonna get when they bought those tickets! She shakes, gyrates and shimmies with more energy than any performer I have ever seen! To be honest,I wasn't a fan of the 50's/60's music (especially on records) until I began to catch films like this that captured the true live feel of the performances. There was an edge to the music that the records didn't capture. Even Sting makes reference to it in a Police song (Turn on my VCR. Same one I've had for years. James Brown The TAMI show. Ain't heard that style in years). There are no lame performances and this should be a staple of any musicologists library.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An incredible experience, THEN and NOW!
mconklin-419 March 2006
I saw this in the theater in '64 or '65 when it was released and it pretty much changed my life. I already loved Jan & Dean, the Beach Boys, Lesley Gore (everyone PLEASE note the correct spelling of her first name: it's NOT "Leslie"!), Gerry & the Pacemakers, etc., but was completely unprepared for James Brown and the Famous Flames.

I kinda didn't know what to make of JB's dramatic finale with the cape, etc., at the time. It actually scared me a bit! (As it apparently did Mick Jagger and Keith Richards!) I thought he was having a seizure or something! It's since become sort of a cliché, down to Paul Shaffer's bit on "Late Night," but at that time no white kids I knew had ever seen anything remotely like THAT! Just blew me away completely!

It's also worth noting that the fantastic backing band for the show was led by noted producer/arranger/performer Jack Nitzsche, who worked with everybody from Bob B. Soxx and the Bluejeans to Captain Beefheart, with a few Lesley Gores, Tim Buckleys, Neil Youngs, Rolling Stones, etc., thrown in for good measure! A true unsung legend in his own right!

The Beach Boys' segment has been cut from most versions since then, if you could find the show at ALL. There was a "That Was Rock: the TAMI and TNT Music Shows" tape that was available years ago, but most of the TAMI Show was missing and the TNT Show I didn't care for much.

I recently found a pretty good copy (DVD-R)of the WHOLE THING ("TAMI Show 1964") on eBay, INCLUDING the Beach Boys' segment, and it brought back some incredible memories.

I hope that someday someone will release a "legitimate," uncut, first-generation quality version of this show, although with licensing deals, etc., I'm not too optimistic. In the meantime I've got the next best thing: a decent-quality uncut DVD-R, with much of it in widescreen format!
12 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Piece of Music History!
snoops24 December 2005
I was born 7 years after the T.A.M.I. Show, and became a teenager 20 years later, but I'm a HUGE fan of music, and I always know something that is good, or in this case GREAT, when I see it. I love '60s music, and just about all of the performers here are favorites of mine. This concert is absolutely AMAZING, to say the very least. Just imagine, some of the biggest musical legends of all time- Marvin Gaye, the Supremes, James Brown, the Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, and the Beach Boys- in the same setting, performing on the same stage... The thought of it alone is mind-boggling... Had I been a teenager of the day, I would have been there screaming my head off! I wouldn't have missed this show. Everyone's performance is terrific. Jan and Dean hosted the show, and did a great job. They introduced each act, sang themselves, after Lesley Gore, and clowned around in between. They also sang the show's theme song. Chuck Berry starts it off, going on down to the Rolling Stones. I loved watching all of the singers and groups. Everyone sang their most famous hits. Lesley Gore sang "It's My Party," the Beach Boys performed "I Get Around," the Supremes did "Baby Love," and Chuck Berry told us about "Maybelline." In most copies of this show which exist, the Beach Boys are cut out, due to a legal dispute. It's unfortunate, because they sing 4 songs, and look and sound fantastic.

However, it was James Brown, and his marvelous Flames, who completely stole the show. His "Please, Please, Please" alone is an unforgettable experience to watch. You want to watch it over and over again. The man is simply DYNAMIC! They came on before the Rolling Stones, who held their own very well with "Time Is On My Side" and "It's All Over Now" among others.

At the end, all of the performers meet up on stage at the same time, to dance to the Stones' final song, and to dance and move with the background dancers. Btw, look for Terri Garr during the Supremes' set, wearing a shirt with a bullseye in the middle. Her dancing is quite sexy. Just seeing everyone looking so young, and being so vibrant and energetic is great. Like I said, it's definitely a piece of music history, that is a real pleasure to watch. You'll NEVER get tired of it!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The T.A.M.I. Show...a statement about music in 1965
railshot27 July 2005
I'm going to my 40th high school reunion this year. Wouldn't it be great to have this showing on a big screen during the evening. I remember seeing it at a drive-in theater in Pensacola, Florida. Before too long we were all out of cars dancing on rooftops, hoods and on the ground. Keith Richards was so cool. Go-go dancers were dancing all around him and he was chewing gum acting as if he was oblivious to the whole thing. I had never seen James Brown before. His "Please, please, please" was unforgettable. The capes and the whole act with the band and all were more than I could asked for. And of course we were all in love with Leslie Gore. I wonder if she is the reason so many of my friends girls are named Leslie? The whole production was a statement of what music was all about in 1965. Will we ever see it again? Dick Clark, "Let us have it"
12 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My Fondes Memory as a youth in love with music
guard3302315 February 2005
First saw TAMI in a movie theater in Boston when first released. Returned to see it at least 7 times. One of the greatest concert presentations i have ever seen, my quest is to locate a copy of the film so i can return to the days of music and youthful innocence

I was thirteen years old at the time and in my first rock and roll band as a "front man". I recall sitting and signing along each lyric of each song of each performer. Of particular fond memories are the performances of James Brown and the Famous Flames, who i saw several time in concert during the early and mid 1960s. Also, the "British Invasion groups" were so cutting edge at the time. It was a real treat.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I own a DVD version
SealordJohn8 September 2004
A few weeks ago, I purchased "The TAMI Show 1964" DVD on eBay. It's copyrighted 2002 Apple Records and 2002 Capital Records. The stars on this version include: Jan & Dean, Chuck Berry, Gerry & The Pacemakers, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Marvin Gaye and the Blossoms, Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas, Lesley Gore, The Beach Boys, Diana Ross and the Supremes, The Barbarians, James Brown and the Flames, and The Rolling Stones. Also Delilah films are mentioned on the back cover.

I checked eBay today and there are others selling TAMI DVD's. Just search using DVD and TAMI as your keywords.

Be advised that the video quality is 1960's standards black & white. But true lovers of this kind of music won't mind at all.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Saw the TAMI movie when I was a kid
JimmieThunderLizard31 August 2004
Thanks for the great background information on the TAMI show, Wiluxe2.

It was certainly a defining moment in my musical life.

I saw it as a teenager when it first came out and will confirm that the segment by James Brown was the mother of all show-stoppers. I went to the movie to see the Rolling Stones segment, but left remembering James Brown signing Please, Please, Please. He was the real deal. I've seen some versions listed on e-bay with Ike and Tina doing Please Please Please, and other ones where it's JB. Perhaps over the years the movie segments have been cut and spliced so that the original show would be hard to recognize.

By the way, Leslie Gore's 'You Don't Own Me' was also great. She really has a wonderful melodic voice.

I'd be interested in the full length version in Video or DVD if it's available. JTL
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
All Those Years Ago
Kenoman295 September 2003
I can vividly remember going to see this brilliant film back in '64 when I was a mere 9 years old. It played at the Capitol Theater in downtown Springfield, MA and was the only theater that had a balcony in our area. It was an event that could never be duplicated (unless the Beatles would have walked into the building.) The showing must have been on a weekend because there is no way I could have made up a lie big enough to have my mother keep me out of school. The theater was electric with young kids & teens screaming, singing, and dancing in the ailes and on the small stage in front of the screen. Naturally popcorn was flying everywhere, and back in those days you flattened out your empty popcorn box and flung it like a rectangular frisbee from the balcony. But sadly enough, to this day, I have not seen one second of that film again.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best Concert of the early 60's
Mbrand22 July 2003
I wasn't even born when this movie came out but back in the late 80's I got to watch that show which certainly gets the energy going. The T.A.M.I Show is truly one of the best Rock document performances of it's time which gives you proof that rock was starting to rise out of the ashes again. You got rock veteran Chuck Berry who certainly made one of his first comebacks doing that time doing Johnny B Goode and his current hit single Nadine. Gerry & The Pacemakers does Maybeline, Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying & It's Going To Be Alright. Fellow countryman Billy J Kramer & The Dakota's does Little Children & Bad To Me which were written by Lennon & McCartney.Motown takes centre stage like Marvin, Smokey & the Supremes featuring Diana Ross. Three of these acts were great even though Diana & the Supremes were a tad nervous but they pull it together after the third song. Besides the great performers of the Beach Boys, jan & Dean The Barbarians, The final two acts certainly made the T.A.M.I. the sucess it became. James Brown without question stole the show which made him the legend he is today. The Stones came after him but they couldn't follow James which you can bet from hearing Mick sing he was a bit down but as seasoned professionals they pulled together. I sincerely hope they do put this out on DVD or Video.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great hot rock of the mid 1960s
TimRoger25 April 2003
Smokin' and steamin' in parts. Best performances from the Rolling Stones and Lesley Gore.

Bad performance by James Brown (he seems to think that activity -- and sweat -- on stage is all it takes!) and particularly the pathetic duo of Jan and Dean, who are seen making fun of the other, more established, acclaimed rockers of the period. Poor Jan and Dean just couldn't sing. They attempted a Beach Boys imitation, but even with good material, they just couldn't cut it.

Gore (forget about the Jackie Kennedy 'do) steals the show with her emphatic, bone to the beat interpretations of her big 60s hits. Pitch perfect, young and strong, Gore never misses a beat.

The young and wild Mick Jagger provides an interesting contrast to today's sunken rock idol.
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this