IMDb > Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (1964) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
Page 3 of 22: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Totally Silly Fun

Author: dwashbur from United States
24 December 2010

This movie is so bad it's wonderful. It's one of my favorite Christmas movies because it obviously doesn't take itself seriously at all. The villain uses an old Wham-O Air Blaster toy to freeze Santa's elves, and you can't help but love Droppo. Even the cheesy theme song is just goofy and fun. Briefly, Martian children don't know how to have fun, but they watch Earth TV constantly and hence know about Santa Claus. The Martians decide they need Santa there to teach their kids how to laugh and be happy, so rather than just go ASK the big guy for help, they decide to kidnap him. Santa takes it all in stride and endears himself to everybody he meets except the bad guy Voldar. Two earth kids get taken to Mars with Santa, and hilarity ensues. The sets, the props, the acting, the lines - you name it, it screams "low budget," but it's done in such a way that you realize everybody KNOWS we're on a low budget so just go with it and laugh yourself sick. Watch it on its own or with the MST3K commentary, and if you don't try to see it as a "real" movie, you'll have a ball.

Hooray for Campy Christmas!

Author: evening1 from United States
21 December 2010

This charming movie was a delightful surprise…but how could it have not been, given the odd bedfellows of the title?

I watched his little gem with my eight-year-old son and it captivated us equally. The movie harks to a far more innocent time when space thinking was dominated by make-believe and naiveté. It was fun watching Martians talk dismissively about Earthlings and see that the little green men have the same quirks as us -- along with nasty bad guys, silly idiots, idealistic leaders, and all the rest.

"Santy" was portrayed perfectly as a cheerful soul who never let a quandary get to him -- even if the problem happened to be getting shanghaied to Mars. I loved his cheerful good-naturedness. If the movie had a bit of a flaw it was the tiresome chatter of the preternaturally well-behaved and well-spoken Earth kids who get kidnapped along with our roly-poly hero. But the climactic scene of a battle waged by toys in the Martian workshop was perfect.

We caught this film on the TV channel of the City University of New York. I don't know how else I ever would have stumbled upon this obscure oddity. But I'm glad I did. And that catchy theme music is still floating through my head a few weeks later.

It's brought a lot of pleasure to people

Author: epa101 from United Kingdom
6 January 2010

This has been ridiculed on "The Canned Film Festival", "Mystery Science Theater 3000" and "Cinematic Titanic": the only three to be mocked on all three bad-film programmes. Everything about it is so tacky that you can't help but laugh: a Santa Claus with a pipe who says "No Sirreee", a melodramatic Martian ruler, a polar bear that would be unconvincing in a pantomine. Still, the fact it makes you laugh means that it's not that bad. It wouldn't been on all three of those programmes if there were not a lot of fun to be had from laughing at it. I'd rather own something like this than, say, Richard Harris's first film "This Sporting Life", which is so boring that there is no way of getting any enjoyment from watching it. This is a bad film with a bad plot and it does get boring in parts, but it'll cheer you up on a bad day.

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
24 December 2009

Classic among bad movie enthusiasts, it is, after all, geared towards children and is innocuous, with it's heart in the right place. Martians kidnap Santa Claus and two Earth kids, hoping they can bring a smile to the frowning faces of their little green children. With a title like "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians", it's certain to draw ridicule..it's just so easy to mock the costumes, sets, effects, and dialogue, but it's all directed at kids at Christmas time, so adults would find such silly dross as this a perfect target for scorn.

The scene with the giant robot or North Pole polar bear, the martians' head gear, face paint, and costumes, Santa ho-ho-ho-ing at situations which simply aren't funny(..and few are laughing, and even here it's strained and forced), newspaper front pages proclaiming in horror of Ole Saint Nick's capture at the hands of the Martians, zap guns which "freeze" victims in a temporary state which will soon wear off(..Santa is quite disappointed that his wife and elves have been zapped, but his cheery resolve is rather amazing), the "radar box", Bill McCutcheon's clumsy oafish martian Dropo (..always bumbling, stumbling about and getting in trouble), the escape from certain death(..when it appears that Santa, Billy, and Betty are doomed to be sucked out in space, somehow miraculously finding their way out through a small access tunnel), the red cave on mars where Dropo is kidnapped after villainous Voldor(Vincent Beck)mistakes him for Santa, and a broom closet in the dwelling of King Kimar. The Martian kids have their own television sets which broadcast to them specials telecast on Earth, and a live interview in Santa's workshop instigated by a jovial reporter. The machine which makes toys for the Martian children is sabotaged by Voldor who believes Santa is making his "warrior race" weak through Holiday cheer.

I could go on and on, but, again, the movie's crowd was supposed to be children, and it's spirit is aimed at this particular demographic so we as adults are gonna respond with embarrassment at it. The dressed up sets and Martian costumes instantly tickle the funny bone, and the plot is bizarre, there's just no disputing this, but I find the motives behind this admirable.

"Santa, you will never return to Earth, you belong to Mars now."

Author: bensonmum2 from Tennessee
14 May 2009

The leaders of Mars are worried about their constantly melancholy children. They've seen enough earth TV to know that Santa Claus brings much joy and happiness to the children of Earth. What if Santa were to come to Mars? Could he make the Martian children happy? So, the leaders of Mars decide to kidnap Santa and bring him to their planet. Will it work?

If you scour the internet, you'll undoubtedly run across a number of Worst Movie Ever lists. But until you've seen the atrocity that is Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, I'm not sure you're qualified to make such a list. There are a lot of bad movies out there, but there's only on Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. It's bad in every conceivable way – incompetently bad acting on the part of most of the cast (Billy and Betty anyone?), some of the lamest special effects imaginable (What about that crazy polar bear?), more mugging for the camera than any one movie should be allowed (Did you catch Dropo's act?), Martian-green grease paint that comes and goes with each scene, and one of the most utterly ridiculous plots ever put to paper. Did anyone involved in the making of this thing think they were actually making a movie that was good? If so, add brain damaged cast and crew to that list of negatives. Yes, I'm fully aware that Santa Claus Conquers the Martians was intended to be a children's movie, but I'm sorry, I can't imagine a single child alive (then or now) that would sit down for more than five minutes with this abomination of a movie. In a word, it's pathetic. This is the perfect example of a movie that probably does deserve to be on a Worst Movie Ever list.

Okay, I know what you're asking yourself right now – "B2 – if the movie's as bad as you say, why have you rated it a 3/10 instead of a 1/10?" Glad you asked - as much as I hate the phrase "so bad it's good", in this case it applies in spades. I simply cannot turn away if it's on – Mystery Science Theater 3000 version or not (which, by the way, I rate a 4/5 on my MST3K rating scale). The sheer volume of craptitude draws me in like a moth to a flame. And if I'll sit and watch regardless of how much it hurts, that's got to be worth a couple of points, doesn't it?

Abysmal

Author: John Whitehead (jwwhiteh@yahoo.com) from Washington, D.C.
15 January 2009

Immortalized on an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000, "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" is sometimes included in lists of the worst movies of all time. Does it deserve this dubious distinction? I would say "no"; compared to the bombs skewered on MST3K such as "Manos: The Hands of Fate" or "Monster A Go-Go," "Santa Claus" comes off relatively well. For one thing, those responsible for this movie appear to have been able to operate a camera and microphones in a reasonably competent way, which already places it on a higher plane than some movies. So, this is definitely not one of the worst ever.

That said, "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" is nevertheless a abysmally bad movie. How bad? Well, let me put it this way: imagine the corniest, cheesiest, most broadly overacted and painfully unfunny '60s-era sitcom you might have had the misfortune to catch on Nick at Nite or TV Land some evening (I am talking "Gilligan's Island"-level bad). Now imagine a movie that makes that sitcom look like "The Wire" in comparison. This should give you some idea of how tediously stupid "Santa Claus" is.

Of the various players in this monstrosity, probably the one who escapes with at least a shred of dignity is Victor Stiles, who plays one of the two kids from Earth. Stiles brings at least a little conviction and naturalness to his role (although he also probably benefits from being one of the few cast members who does not have to wear a ridiculous costume of some kind).

By contrast, the worst player in "Santa Claus" is, without a doubt, Bill McCutcheon as the Martian Dropo (although John Call's creepy Santa Claus gives him a run for his money). The "comic relief" in this mess, Dropo will make you long for the charm and wit of Jar Jar Binks.

Do not even think about watching this without the MST3K (or Cinematic Titanic) commentary. Trust me, you will regret it.

This movie is absolutely amazing in it's terribleness

Author: marabear-1 from United States
16 May 2007

I hear about this movie through an astronomy assignment at my high school. My teacher mentioned Santa Claus Conquers the Martians as the "third worst movie of all time" (I forgot to ask what the first two were). Anyways, I immediately went "Must. Watch. Movie!!!" I took it home, and watched it with a friend. We laughed so hard I had a sore throat for the next three days.

Now, the plot is absolutely terrible, the budget was about $50, and the actors were horrific, but the terribleness of it all is what makes me truly love this movie. The quality is so bad, i think my eyes started to bleed, and at one point I couldn't make out the spaceship from the background. That made me laugh pretty hard, but the best was the scene when they arrive at the North poll - I won't say much, but it involves a robot made out of an old box spray painted silver, and a man in a polar bear suit. If that won't make you laugh, what will?

All I can say is, this is a classic. Never will I spend another Christmas without the martians.

Cinematic Masterpiece

Author: Ian Smith from United States
25 January 2007

It was a cinematic masterpiece from a whole other world. I have yet to see another movie with such a caliber in aliens and Santa Claus. With the poor little martian needing presents and kidnapping Santa I mean it rocked my world. I love the directors work with symbolism and the director of photography must have been a genius. It may not have the best in make-up and special effects but once you get past that it is a movie for the whole family to enjoy. I have watched this movie over a dozen times and it gets better every time (maybe because I have memorized all the dialog). On a serious note I would recommend this to you and you should go out to your video store and rent this movie, sit down with the kids and enjoy. Bottom 100 is inappropriate for this film.

Utterly ridiculous, but fun if you're in the mood for nonsense

Author: MartianOctocretr5 from Redondo Beach, CA
9 December 2006

A lot of things have happened to the poor old jolly elf over the years. In different movies, he's been put in jail, kissed by housewives, tried for lunacy, knocked off a roof by Tim Allen, and one time a guy tried to blow up the North Pole. This is the classic among them all, when Santa gets kidnapped by Martians. The Martian kids are depressed, you see, so the Martians abduct Santa to make their kids happy again.

Campiness is to be expected in a kids' movie, but this movie soars far and beyond all expectations of cheesiness. Martians have poorly applied green makeup that doesn't cover all their faces. Also, they wear used helmets painted green with broken antennae attached, for some reason. The robot and the polar bear are two of the most absurd monsters, and the freeze ray doesn't work too well on actors who visibly move while "frozen." There's one character meant to be comic relief, but he's hard to find, since everyone else hams it up as bad as he does. Cheap sets, probably left overs from a grade-school play. Nonsensical dialogue, plot holes, miscellaneous errors, the list goes on. This movie is also the source for a trivia question: Girmar ("girl Martian," get it? lol) is played by whom in her first role?

With all its blunders and goofiness, I'll give the movie one thing--it maintains a cheerful approach at all times. It even awkwardly manages a message about kindness winning enemies over as friends. It's necessary to approach the movie as a joke, though. Taking it at face value will probably leave you bored. I suspect that the original target audience of children were probably bored, since the movie drags in several places. As a "so-stupid-it's-funny" movie, this one is a novelty in its stunning ineptitude.

Absolutely the WORST Christmas movie ever...so it's a must-see!

Author: Wayne Malin (wwaayynnee51@hotmail.com) from United States
23 December 2010

The children of Mars are unhappy. It seems they want a Santa Claus but don't have one! So some guys from Mars kidnap Santa (and two annoying kids) to bring joy and happiness to the Martian children. It works but they make it clear that Santa is going to stay in Mars...forever. Trust me--this plays even worse than it sounds!

A now classic bad movie. I actually caught this on TV when I was about 6 or 7. Even at that young age I realized the film was HORRIBLE! But it was so badly done you can't stop watching. The basic plot itself is ridiculous--even for a kids movie. All the Martians are green (!!!) and wear stupid helmets. The two Earth kids are played by the two most annoying child actors you'll ever see. The special effects are hysterically bad. The Martian spaceship is obviously a toy and wait till you see the polar bear (very obviously a guy in a bad suit) and the robot bought out to kidnap Santa. When I first saw it I broke out laughing (remember--I was 7 and still found it stupid). The dialogue is terrible and--worst of all--there's a SONG called "Hooray for Santy Claus" that will have you wishing you were deaf!

The acting doesn't help. Leonard Hicks plays Kimar--a good Martian. He's not bad but (understandably) looks embarrassed by being in this. Vincent Beck plays Voldar--the evil Martian. He's pretty terrible. Victor Stiles and Donna Conforti play Billy and Betty--the Earth kids. Their acting is so bad it defies belief. John Call plays Santa and he's CONSTANTLY laughing! My guess is he was drunk or actually read the script! Worst of all (and that's saying something) is Bill McCutcheon playing Dropo--the "comic" relief. He spends most of the movie acting stupid and overacting. Needless to say none of it is even remotely funny! Also Pia Zadora has her first role here (as one of the Martian kids). So yeah, it's terrible but it IS harmless for kids--but even they'll find it stupid! A 1 all the way.

"We don't want to hurt you Santa Claus so come along quietly."