IMDb > Moonshine Mountain (1964) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Moonshine Mountain More at IMDbPro »

An unforgettable experience!

Author: kpky from N C
25 December 1999

My brother and I first saw Moonshine Mountain 35 years ago. My mother had dropped us kids off to see a "good" movie. After looking at the pictures in the entrance, we decided to go to the B theater and see Moonshine Mountain. What a treat! The characters were great..the scenery great..the music outstanding. We still talk about the girl who sang "Go Tell Aunt Rhody." So what if it was technically lacking? For us poor country kids, who tired of movies of city antics in places we would never know, this movie said it all.I would gladly give my eye teeth to get a copy of that movie today. It developed an addiction for alternative movies from which I hope never to recover.

Hixploitation Heaven

Author: Tromafreak from Tallahassee, Florida
30 July 2008

Welcome to Moonshine Mountain, the coolest thing Herschell Gordon Lewis ever did that didn't involve gore, and even if it did, it wouldn't matter because this light-hearted Carolina exploitation is just fine the way it is. Moonshine Mountain tells the story of a country singer named Doug Martin. Doug is a soft, city boy, so he figures his lyrics, in the future, might mean something if he lives in the hills for a spell. It appears as if all Herschell knows about southerners is what he's seen on The Beverly Hillbillies, because Doug's interactions with some of these people is just classic After settling in "The Hotel", Doug stumbles upon a nice, drunk family, the Carpenters, to hang with and to sing with, and to, hell yeah, drink with. So, Bring on the fire water!! Moonshine Mountain is packed with backwoods such tomfoolery as Barn dances, hangovers, rapes, murders, and you know it!! Hillbilly music. What Moonshine Mountain really has going for it, above all, is good ol' Jefferey Allen, the Mayor from 2,000 Maniacs, that guy is awesome, he really knows how to throw himself into a role, or maybe he just is that guy. Moonshine Mountain also includes Adam Sorg, the killer from Color Me Blood Red, this time he plays the sheriff. Sorg is much better in the other one, although, Moonshine Mountain is much more entertaining, and an all around better movie. Other than 2,000 Maniacs, this might be Herschell's finest work. if for some reason, you end up hating Moonshine Mountain, all I can say is, try out How to make a doll, that might be closer to what your looking for. If you have an appreciation for the south, as well as low-budget cinema, you just might take a liking to this Hixploitation gem. Now, Somebody pass the Grey Goose. 8/10

loved the movie

Author: johnmovies-3 from United States
15 September 2008

I saw this movie in Morehead City, NC when it came out and would love to see it again. It is a thoroughly enjoyable low B movie. The world needs this one on DVD. Compared to many of the A movies coming out the past few years this one shines. There was some really good humor in it. I remember only bits and pieces of it, such as the idiot drooling blonde sitting on the log who had a great voice, the stereotyped moonshiners and a body in the moonshine vat. The big city singer going into the mountains to collect music is the basic plot but it soon extends well past that. I do remember laughing my head off when watching this one. I'm now 40+ years older and wonder how I'd react to it today.

That Good Ol' Mountain Madness

Author: Flixer1957 (wg2530@aol.com) from Columbia County, NY
19 January 2002

**POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD**

Country singer Chuck Scott goes down to the Carolinas to research the origins of folk music. He meets such local luminaries as the Carpenter family, the Basham family, and Adam (COLOR ME BLOOD RED) Sorg as a psychotic, rape-happy sheriff. Within 15 minutes, Scott and the Carpenter family treat us to a rousing rendition of that chart-busting coast-to-coast hit "Go Tell Aunt Rhody." Wretched as the song is, the Carpenters sing it fairly well despite the absence of music schools in the area, not to mention their notable shortage of teeth. The lyrics to the other songs except "I Love That White Lightning" are unintelligible, which may be just as well. Scott goes on to partake of the local vittles, romance one of the local wimmen and of course run up against the local corn likker trade. The hill folk own, and fight over, "The World's Biggest Still" which looks like the world's biggest carnival dunk tank. Sheriff Sorg murders revenooers and dumps their corpses into the still. When director Lewis saw how many kids were attending his premiere of MOONSHINE MOUNTAIN he went into the projection booth and cut out some other gruesome bits that have never been reinstated. I'll never forgive him for that. Comedy fans can enjoy the appearance and antics of Jeffrey Allen, Ben Moore and Mark Douglas (leftovers from 2000 MANIACS) and Pat Patterson, future director of DR. GORE. One video dealer states that in his version, "the print is jumpy, the color is washed out and the sound is bad." The scary thing is, MOONSHINE MOUNTAIN probably looked that way when it first hit the drive-ins.