IMDb > Mary Poppins (1964) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 26: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

A classic, Walt at his finest

Author: musicalphan1216 from United States
22 December 2006

'Mary Poppins' is a movie I loved as a little kid as did my mother before me. It's a film that is so captivating for children, and one of the few movies out there that can keep a child intrigued for over 2 hours.One can always expect great things from Mr. Disney, especially from the films Walt was alive to oversee.

The special effects in this film were absolutely ground breaking in 1964, and even in this day and age I don't find them outdated, I find them charming. None of the effects seem cheesy, even now; they're just fun. Equally charming is the music. I love "Spoonful of Sugar" which summarizes Mary Poppins' view on life and, of course, "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" could almost be added to Webster's dictionary. However, the song "Feed the Birds" is the most moving moment in the entire movie, proving that just a small act of kindness is the greatest gift that can be given.

'Mary Poppins' is a film that has survived the test of time. I expect this film to long outlive the first generation it touched and beyond. It's the films that send you away with more than you came in with that really survive. A tune to hum, a spring in your step, or maybe just the urge to do something kind to someone who would never think to ask you for help, feed the birds so to speak. In the end, 'Mary Poppins' is a movie no child (or adult) should miss I'll never feel too old to enjoy it. Perfect 10.

Author: natebtt100 from Canada
4 December 2006

Alright, I'll be the first to admit it; "Mary Poppins" is a fluffy, bouncy, family musical... but never will you find such an outstanding fluffy, bouncy, family musical! "Poppins" is a pure delight, adapted from the famed P.L. Travers character and portrayed by the charming Julie Andrews (for which she won her Academy Award), along with a superb cast, including David Tomlinson and the oh-so-versatile Dick Van Dyke.

It's hard to find fault with this picture. The sets and costumes are gorgeous, the songs and score are irresistible, crisply edited with smartly-used visual effects, and beyond all that it speaks the importance of family and love, simple things that seem to be easily forgotten nowadays.

Considerred Walt Disney's single greatest cinematic accomplishment, "Mary Poppins" is supercalifragilisticexpialadocious fun for everyone!

The most wonderful film I've ever seen

Author: prodosh_bhattacharya from India
30 August 2006

For the vote, I would have selected 20 out of 10 if that were possible. This is my favourite film in the world, and I have watched films in three languages (English, Bengali, Hindi, in descending order of quantity). Enchanting is too weak a word to describe its impact.Julie Andrews still haunts my dreams, more often as Mary Poppins than as Maria von Trapp. In weeks of seeing the film (In Calcutta, we saw it after THE SOUND OF MUSIC)I knew all the songs by heart, I had been to the cinema 3 times in 6 weeks to see it, had read 4 of the books by the end of the year (1968), and had been heartbroken by Mary Poppins' final departure in MARY POPPINS OPENS THE DOOR.I still grow misty-eyed at the end whenever I watch it. God, if He/She/It exists, be thanked for P.L. Travers and Walt Disney and Julie Andrews. In retrospect, the film is very episodic, the character of Mary Poppins very different from the one Travers created, but for many like me who saw the film before reading the books, Julie Andrews (and what a heavenly voice!) became the archetypal lovable governess.

This movie is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

Author: bmbdsm from United States
29 August 2006

Jane and Michael Banks live in a large house on Cherry Tree Lane. When their nanny quits her job out of exasperation, their parents decide to hire a new nanny. The next morning, dozens of possible nannies show up for a job interview, but a strong gust of wind sends the nannies flying away. Then, a woman named Mary Poppins come floating down out of the sky on her umbrella. She is hired for the job, but Jane and Michael realize that their new nanny is a rather unusual one. She has a carpetbag which never seems to be empty, she makes their medicine change colors, she takes them for adventures in chalk paintings with a energetic jack-of-all-trades named Bert, and she can float up and down staircases. The parents, who never seem to have enough time for their children, realize that their children are the important things in their lives. Mary Poppins, feeling that she has done her job, floats away into the skies.

When Walt Disney's MARY POPPINS was released in 1964, it was a box-office hit, taking critics and audiences by storm. This film has an excellent cast. Julie Andrews, making her film debut, is a superb Mary Poppins, winning a Best Actress Oscar. Dick Van Dyke is hilarious as Bert, channeling all his energy into the role of Bert. Ed Wynn is hysterical as Mary's Uncle Albert. Karen Dotrice and Matthew Garber are fine as Jane and Michael Banks. The Sherman Brothers provided POPPINS with one of their best scores, with songs such as "A Spoonful of Sugar", "Jolly Holliday", "Feed the Birds", and, of course, "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"! The special effects are just AMAZING! The Disney studio outdid themselves making this awesome movie! 10/10. NOTE: The 2-disc 40th anniversary edition DVD is the BEST way to view this movie!

Too long? Take a break!

Author: corner-2 from Netanya, Israel
18 July 2006

I loved the Mary Poppins books as a child. The film is a joyous masterpiece which can be viewed many times with pleasure. But is it too long? Honestly? Well, yes. There is just too much happening that shouldn't be missed, and your mind becomes too fatigued after an hour or more to fully enjoy the later scenes. But I once watched it in pieces over a period of several days. I found that it breaks up naturally into several sections, and that was the solution. This time, when Burt and Mary were dancing on the rooftops, I was focused and able to appreciate the brilliance of this sequence, which comes late in the film. So my advice is: don't try watching all two plus hours of the film in one go. Take a few breaks. Then Mary Poppins is truly supercalifragilisticexpialidocious right to the end!

A nanny, whose origins are a mystery, is magically summoned to the Banks family.

Author: tape_boy2004 from United States
10 July 2006

17 Cherrytree Lane As the movie opens with Dick Van Dyke playing an assortment of musical instruments, you find him being your "guide." He takes you to the Banks home, just before George Banks arrives home to find his children missing and the nanny quitting.

To find a new nanny is the task set before Mr. and Mrs. Banks. Jane and Michael, the Banks children, decide it would be best if they were to help. They got to choose the nanny, sort of.

While watching this magical tale, it is incumbent upon you to understand the story is not about Mary Poppins (Julie Andrews), Bert (Dick Van Dyke), or the children. The story is about George Banks (David Tomlinson) and the family unit.

Everyone will enjoy this movie regardless of your age, gender, or ethnicity.

Lifelong Love

Author: bookworm_bookworm from Canada
7 April 2006

I can't begin to explain how I've loved this movie since birth. I was enchanted by the story, and I absolutely adored the musical score. I have videos of me when I was three years old singing "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious", my favorite Mary Poppins song, back then and today. As I grew up, I began to mature and like different things, but I never considered to stop liking Mary Poppins. When I was around ten years old, I realized that there were Mary Poppins books. I went to the bookstore and bought the first book, 'Mary Poppins'. I loved it. So the next day I went to get the second one, 'Mary Poppins Comes Back'. I loved that one too. I still, however, love the movie and will love it forever.

A fantastic imagination....

Author: tazeenizam from United Kingdom
11 March 2006

That recommends not only to feed the birds in one of its songs but has every capacity to feed human imagination too!

Mary Poppins is an epitome of a character who is firm but kind. Bert is a man full of life who knows that even being a screever can be a fun if u like what u draw and u draw what u like. Is not that true happiness that u find pleasure in ur work! Mr. Bank is like any man from the modern world who thinks that life is only about setting up objectives and meeting the goals and Mrs. Bank is a true English woman, flighty as the English weather. Jane and Michael Bank are what all of us have some where deep inside us, a child who is looking for guidance and who needs to learn how to balance the responsibilities of life with a bit of fun time. And Mary Poppins is the right bridge to connect a generation that has taken the bitter pill called life with the generation that needs to learn the reality and in effect she shows that at each stage of life each one of us needs to grow.

I hope 2 have children of my own some day and they shall hear the songs of Mary Poppins from the day they r conceived to know that although the life that I am giving to them is a bitter pill to take but That a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, medicine go down in a most delightful way. That they may learn the right attitude towards life from the day 1 of their existence! I will make sure that my children know that they have a Mary Poppins of their own!

Fabulous , ageless entertainment from the great Walt Disney

Author: Bruce Corneil from Melbourne, Australia
23 August 2003

I suppose all of us who were kids in the 1960s have fond memories of this film . I saw it again just recently and it's still wonderful .But, again it's another production which really has to be seen on a big cinema screen to be fully appreciated. Dick Van Dyke's cockney accent is a bit painful but it hardly matters because his overall performance is so superb . The music and production numbers are some of the best I've ever seen . The colour is glorious and the imagery of old time London is outstanding . If ever you're feeling a bit down in the dumps go see "Mary Poppins" to get your frame of mind back on the up ' n ' up (know 'wot I'm talkin' about Gov ?). Fabulous , ageless entertainment from the great Walt Disney .

More than a movie. . .this is a lifelong friend

Author: Missy C from Indianapolis, IN
16 April 2002

Like many of the other reviewers here, I saw this one when I was very young--right after second grade, I think. By the time it came to the theater in my little rural hometown a year after its release, Julie Andrews had already won an Oscar for her work as the title character. Not that that mattered. To the kids in my class at school, this was the hot, must-see movie of that summer--the way "Star Wars" would be in the next decade. I can still remember laughing over Dick Van Dyke tap-dancing with the penguins and crying during the "Bird Woman" song (which was as much social commentary as a sentimental tune about our feathered friends). I became a fan of Dick Van Dyke's show after this--he basically won my heart as Bert--the jack-of-all-trades special friend to Mary and the Banks' children. For the rest of that summer, man, I WAS Mary Poppins. My mom bought me a record of all the songs, I used her old Avon sample case as my carpetbag, and I acted out the movie every day. If VCRs and DVDs had been everyday household items then, I would have asked for "Mary Poppins" for Christmas. (It would have been worn out by Easter, most likely!)

As happens to children almost overnight, my interests changed over the next year and I sort of got over my fixation with Mary, Bert, et. al. After all, Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke went on to other things after that, so why not me?

And then in the 90s, Disney re-released "Mary Poppins" as a video. I bought it for my daughter (or at least that was the excuse I gave my husband). Though she was too young to understand everything in the movie--just as I was the first time I saw it--she, too, loved "Mary Poppity" as she called it. We must have played it at least 3 times a week during the first summer we had it, while living in temporary housing and waiting for our house to be built. She, too, loves to act this one out and to sing the songs for hours on end. The apple does not fall far from the tree, I guess.

As for me. . .it's all I remembered it to be, and then some. For starters, the music. . .what was missing from the old record I had were the overture, underscores, and closing score--they were beautifully put together. And the little details are delightful, too. Among them: Mrs. Banks, who is a feminist (at least when Mr. Banks isn't around) wears bloomers--and later in the movie, we discover Mary Poppins does, too. (don't blink, or you'll miss seeing them) The relationship between Mary and Bert. . .as a child I thought they were probably a couple but never had time to see each other because of their work. Now? I think they would be a couple if they got a lucky break. Let's face it--she's a nanny and he's a lower-level tradesman. Even if they did get married, in 1910, the realities of British society were such that if you weren't part of the gentry, you worked for a living, and changing your "class" or status didn't happen. A shame, because their characters obviously love children very much. So they do the next best thing--work together as a team to bring happiness to British middle-class homes--mainly by shaking up the parents. Mary was no ordinary nanny, but Bert made her an even better one--he was the idea man, and she handled the implementation.

And therein is the secret: this movie was not as much about Mary, Bert, and the kids as it is about Mary, Bert, and Mr. and Mrs. Banks. It's when Mr. Banks realizes that his children don't need a nanny to be happy--they just need their parents to love them and give them their attention--that he also becomes the man that the Bank needs. The scene between Bert and Mr. Banks at the house is one of the best in the movie.

As for the ending? When I was a child, I didn't understand it. Now, as an adult, I do. The mission was accomplished, and it was time to move on. As one of the main characters said, all was as it should be.

So is this movie. Enjoy it with your own daughter. . .