IMDb > The Finest Hours (1964) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Finest Hours More at IMDbPro »

Time Well Spent.

Author: Robert J. Maxwell (rmax304823@yahoo.com) from Deming, New Mexico, USA
22 February 2014

The previous reviewer summed it up pretty well. I don't have much to add except that the DVD I watched was in bad shape and Orson Welles, he of the resonant baritone, sounded scratchy. The speaker who imitates Churchill's voice in the quotations isn't too convincing, despite the distinctive qualities of both Churchill's speech and his writing. After half an hour's practice, I could do almost as well.

The DVD was part of a 3-disc set. The first disc is a rough history of Churchill and his career, using stills photos and newsreel footage. The other two discs are of Churchill's speeches, always thoughtful, always rousing in one way or another. They recall the days when statesmen like Churchill and Lincoln could both read and write.

Fascinating, if simply too small for a figure so large

Author: runamokprods from US
2 December 2011

Very interesting, if somewhat frustratingly limited documentary biography of Winston Churchill. It's not really the film's fault. It's well made and intelligent. It's just that Churchill lived such a full and fascinating life, that trying to jam it all into an under 2 hour film means that much has to be ignored or sped through.

So in most areas we get the reader's digest version. Only the war years get a little more detail. But we get almost nothing about Churchill the human being, the husband, the father.

Huge changes in his political career are handled with a few sentences and a couple of images.

Yet I was never bored, and still ended up knowing much more about both Churchill and Britain in the war years than when I started.