IMDb > "The Munsters" (1964) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Munsters"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Munsters" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

The Perfect Family

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
12 August 2002

Oh, I wish they made shows like The Munsters today. I have many happy memories of watching it. It was so innocent and so amusing. Somebody should release it onto DVD as soon as possible.

The Munsters were the perfect family. They may have been ugly, they may have been weird and they may have been totally eccentric but they loved each other and cared so much about each other.

The Munsters emphasized traits such as loyalty to your family and love (qualities not found in many shows today). But once you get past all that you had many highly amusing stories. One that springs to mind for me is when Herman and Grandpa Munster get locked in a bank vault one night just as a pair of robbers are about to steal the loot.

The one thing I enjoyed about The Munsters was it's total innocence. No bad language, no sex, no violence, just pure entertainment. Oh, it was brilliant. I cannot praise it enough.

Thank God for videos and DVD !

Author: Bruce Corneil from Melbourne, Australia
24 August 2003

I've said it before and no doubt I'll say it again ..... the old shows are STILL the best.

The 1960s was the golden era of sitcoms and "The Munsters" was near the top of the list.

One of my favorite episodes was the one where Herman and the gang were accidentally selected - sight unseen - by a national magazine to appear on its front cover as the "Average American Family". The fun started when the people from the mag arrived at Mockingbird Lane.

There were so many great lines in this series... like the time Herman smashes his fist through the kitchen window to grab a handful of tangled vines from their over grown garden. He proudly presents them to Lily with the words "Lovely weeds for a lovely lady" !

Television hit the skids in the 1980s. Thank God for videos and DVD .

Atmospheric, colorful fun!

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
1 September 2002

I think the problem with TV sitcoms these days is that 90% of the them are filmed in front of studio audiences. Save for the cable-TV comedies, adventurous shows like "The Munsters" don't get made today. They went OUTSIDE, they drove around. Everything wasn't confined to the sets, although their house was a doozy and I loved it every time action took place down in Grandpa's basement. What a bunch of great characters these were (with kudos to Al Lewis and--God bless him--Fred Gwynne). Many of the episodes--such as the classic one where Eddie runs amok on a popular ghoul-TV program, "Zombo"--are still very pointed today, and just as funny. Herman's super strength was always good for a colorful sight-gag, Yvonna De Carlo's Lily was the perfect straight-face for Herman's antics. And don't forget that Drag-U-La...what a beauty!

The Munsters!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
21 February 2005

One of the greatest television shows of all time in My opinion is the Munsters! The show starred legendary actors Fred Gwynne, Yvonne De Carlo, Al Lewis, Beverley Owen, Pat Priest, Butch Patrick, and Mel Blanc! First I will want to commentate about the characters and the actors who played them and then I will talk about why I think this program is one of the best. I am just thrilled about how these actors are in this great series. Fred Gwynne was just incredible. Being a large fellow already was something but becoming Herman Munster he became huge! I was so surprised how agile he was. He had such a charming personality as well. Yvonne De Carlo was already a beautiful woman but I thought that she was so neat as Lily! Her character is one the most beautiful woman character that I haven seen on the screen! Al Lewis' Grandpa is such a hilarious charmer. He is arguably the most talented actor of all time. Beverley Owen and Pat Priest both gave the Marilyn character great personality. My favorite is Owen's Marilyn. Butch Patrick's Eddie was good a very good personality as well. Mel Blanc's raven was cute! The other animal characters such as Kitty and Spot were also cute. I loved the guest stars that appeared in the shows. The sets such as the Munsters' house and such all looked realistic. I loved the spookiness of the series and how it was like Halloween all the time! In My opinion each and every episode was great and funny. The theme music by Jack Marshall was also very good. I think that this series is just wonderful and that in My opinion its arguably the greatest one ever. If you can watch this show on TV strongly I recommend it and I also strongly recommend that you head over to Amazon.com and purchase the First Complete Season of The Munsters on DVD! I strongly recommend The Munsters!

Lurch who?

Author: helpless_dancer from Broken Bow, Oklahoma
8 April 2001

Although I liked the Addams Family quite a bit, the Munsters were it for me. Let's face it, grandpa make the show: without him a lot of the flavor would have been lost. I felt that he should have been on much more than he was. Marilyn, on the other hand, could have completely disappeared and I would never have noticed. Of course, the entire cast was great, the jokes were side splittingly corny, and the atmosphere of the house was nice and spooky.

"Herman Munster don't you dare!"

Author: BumpyRide from TCM's Basement
6 February 2006

This show can easily be dismissed as being so stupid it's funny, but there's more to it than just obvious jokes with a laugh track. The cast was fabulous but also talented; many having Hollywood careers or television experience prior to the show. Look at all the reincarnations (sorry) of the show and then compare the cast to the original set. No contest. Also the sets and costumes were really cool, who doesn't like Granpa's dungeon or their telephone "booth" or the Munstermobile? Some of the story lines were hilarious but my person favorite is "A House Divided." The only regret I have is that it didn't go on for one more season, who knows, maybe it would have been in ghoulish color!

Munsters v. Addams Family--a Lose-Lose Situation

Author: Harried Howie from Charlottesville, VA
24 April 2004

The simultaneous runs of Munsters and Addams Family doomed both to two-season lifespans. Much of the audience became polarized. Munsters fans would not watch Addams Family and vice versa, but if either show had been on without the other it would have attracted almost the full audience of the other.

Either could have become a major, long-running classic. Addams Family had the better chance, being a comedy/social commentary of the type that later became the major hits, All in the Family and The Simpsons. But Munsters also could also have had its seasons in the sun. After scrapping the ill-conceived and twice miscast role of Marilyn, the enormous talent and charisma of Fred Gwynne and his chemistry with Al Lewis (good friends off-camera, too) could have carried that show for many years.

A Top Ten All-Time Comedy

Author: wainot from United States
28 April 2004

My all-time favorite sitcoms would start with The Honeymooners and find room for (in no particular order): Seinfeld, Cheers, Taxi, Beverly Hillbillies, Dick Van Dyke, and The Munsters would be in the mix.

Superb writing (it worked as a young kid and it still works for me today), amusing plots, great family dynamics and a terrific, multi-faceted performance by the late, great Fred Gwynne. Hwerman Munster was at once truly monstrous in size and appearance, yet vain, vulnerable, goofy and baby-ish. Just a wonderful, lovable character who was well assisted by Lily and Grandpa. Eddie was okay, and Marilyn superfluous, and the occasional guest characters were almost always very good. Great fun that stands up beautifully about 40 years later --I'm getting old1

A TV treasure

Author: Andrew David Brown (andy3@cableinet.co.uk) from Gloucester, England
5 November 1999

Being only 27 years old I was not around when this series was actually being made but I remember watching this series in the eighties when I was around 9-12 years old. I remember enjoying every minute of it.

The catchy theme tune, the spooky house, the dinosaur under the stairs, Grandpa's experiments and the brilliant central performance from Fred Gwynne all added up to a terrific half hour comedy.

Watching it ten years on it seems a little more cheesy than I first remember it to be - but it is one of those shows I will always fondly remember.

rather nonsensical, but you're bound to love it

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
1 May 2005

I'll say that "The Addams Family" was actually cleverer, but still, "The Munsters" definitely had its merits. Basically the story of a household in which the father, Herman (Fred Gwynne), is Frankenstein's monster, the mother, Lily (Yvonne DeCarlo), is a vampire, the son, Eddie (Butch Patrick), is a werewolf, the grandfather (Al Lewis) is Count Dracula, and the niece, Marilyn (played by two different people), is the ugly (make that "pretty") duckling in the family. While the Munsters' everyday routine is the same as everyone else's, everything that's normal to them (e.g., a house that looks like a Halloween party should be held there) is weird to the rest of the world, and vice versa. Every human who sees them freaks out, and yet the Munsters can never figure out why everyone finds them strange.

It's completely silly, with a string of gruesome, sardonic jokes, but it's always really funny. Truly one show that you gotta admire.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]