IMDb > "Daniel Boone" (1964) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Daniel Boone"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Daniel Boone" More at IMDbPro »

A great show for all...

Author: Dunsmore (dunsmore@crosswinds.net) from Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
2 December 1999

"Daniel Boone" is a show that has flown out of almost every pigeonhole into which the TV critics have tried to stuff it.

It's not really a Western (most action takes place East of the Mississippi), but it has all the elements of a classic Western.

Action/Adventure? Sure, lots of it, but with plenty of food for thought provided by the family and social issues that are woven into most plots.

Drama? Yep, but with elements of humor that bring some episodes into the range of Comedy.

History? ahem Well, let's just say that this Dan'l must have lived in an alternate world (see, Science Fiction, too!) where time travel allows for episodes where President George Washington appears one week, while the next week the American War for Independence is still being fought.

Regardless of how one might label this series, "Daniel Boone" is a show that has something for everyone!

Enjoyable, Kid-Friendly & Refreshingly Non-PC!

Author: wmarkley from Ohio
29 August 2006

The "Daniel Boone" series is uneven in its qualities, but overall its a good program. Fess Parker presents a stoic, humble and admirable Daniel Boone, who fights for fair play. Blood and gore is kept to a minimum, but there is still plenty of adventure and suspense. The acting by lesser characters is sometimes poor, especially in some of the middle and later episodes, but Parker, Ed Ames, Patricia Blair and Dallas McKennon keep things good. And the show is meant to be fun. While it often presents a moral, it doesn't have the dreary, preachy quality that so many shows from the '70s onwards have.

There are historical inaccuracies, such as Eastern Woodland Indians living in teepees rather than wigwams, Whites not always wearing the costumes of the time, a mixed-up chronology, and Daniel having the ability to quickly dash off from Kentucky to the eastern colonies almost at will. And some episodes with historical figures such as Lafayette, Aaron Burr, Beaumarchais and Patrick Henry are fictionalized. On the other hand, the show preserves some of the spirit of the frontier and the period, which is not often seen these days. Also, the real Daniel Boone was a humane, honorable man who was highly respected by many Indians and Whites of his day, as he is portrayed in the series.

Its very striking how different "Daniel Boone" is compared with current-day movies and TV shows. In "Daniel Boone," Daniel and his half-breed friend Mingo are definitely heroes. Mingo, who was taken to England as a boy and educated at Oxford, has a deep love for classical European literature, music and philosophy. The goodness of the American Revolutionary cause is assumed. While some of the enemy British soldiers and Indians are treacherous, several of them are also shown as being decent and honorable. Daniel and many of his friends believe in and fight for freedom, private property, law and civilization. Some of the white frontiersmen are bad, but some are good, and many are just trying to find a better life in Kentucky for their families.

If "Daniel Boone" was produced by the politically-correct and supposedly "open-minded, enlightened" Hollywood people of today, Daniel would be a psychologically-conflicted man, continually fighting his rapacious urges that stem from his white culture. Mingo would decide to go completely native and would be continually ashamed of his British education. Daniel's Indian enemies would be shown as wholly noble and innocent, and they would never commit any atrocities unless in retaliation for worse ones done by the Whites. The American Revolutionaries would get their only legitimate ideas from the Indians. And the worst villains of all would be the English, since in today's Hollywood the pre-Socialist English are considered the world's worst villains ever. Anyone who has closely studied history knows that these politically-correct stereotypes are far from the truth, but its shocking how prevalent they are today.

Therefore, with its flaws, "Daniel Boone" still presents entertaining stories, admirable characters, and some of the fighting spirit and concern for fair play of the past, and that's enough for it to earn good marks with me.

Part history lesson,Part Western

Author: raysond from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
9 September 2002

"Daniel Boone" was a show for everyone...First of all this was part Drama,and part Western(since most of the action takes place East of the Mississippi).......Second,where can you have the President of the United States,George Washington appear one week,then the next week Daniel is fighting against the British in the War for Independence as well as dealing with Pirates and hostile Indians from other tribes,and the following week goes swordsman(like Zorro)against ruthless Spanish tyrannts and generals(which in one episode was Ricardo Montalban and afterwards you'll have a galaxy of villains who was Spanish tyrants that were played by actors Jose Ferrer and of all people Cesar Romero,aka The Joker on Batman)while maintaining peace and restoration of his beloved Kentucky homestead from individuals who were by all means out to destroy his valley?

NOT ON HIS TURF! DANIEL BOONE WAS A MAN, A BIG MAN!!!(Fess Parker)

All aide by his Indian sidekick,Mingo played by Ed Ames and his wife Rebecca(Patricia Blair),and son Isreal(played by Darby Hinton)and teenaged daughter Jemina(was played by Veronica Cartwright from Seasons 1 thru 3),and Dan's sidekick Yadkin(Albert Salmi in Season 1)Daniel Boone maintained the frontier with a mighty hand!

This was part history lesson as well but this show had plenty of non-stop action and adventure each week since it was a eyepopping show with lots of breathtaking scenery of the Mississippi valley where the show was shot but the rest of it was filmed on the backlot at the studios of 20th Century Fox,where the show was produced under Fess Parker's production company,Fespar Enterprises and under Hollywood producer Aaron Rosenberg(of "Winchester 73" fame). The series originally ran on NBC-TV from September 24,1964 until May 7,1970. Out of the 165 episodes that were produced,33 episodes from Season 1 of the series were in black and white from September 24,1964 until April 29,1965. Seasons 2 thru 6 produced 133 episodes in color that aired from September 16,1965 until May 7,1970. After its cancellation in the spring of 1970,NBC repeated all episodes of season 6 from May 7,1970 until September 10,1970.

However,the episodes I saw which are on videocassette are from the pilot episode(which was filmed in black and white and its first season consisted of 33 black and white episodes where the show originally ran on NBC-TV but the show made the transition to color during its 1965-70 run consisting of 133 episodes in Seasons 2 thru 6)where we are introduced to Daniel Boone,the pioneer frontiersman and his adventures along the Kentucky wilderness where each day was a fight for survival. One Great Show!!! Catch It!!!

The whole series is excellent

Author: happyjeanene from United States
7 June 2007

I am very pleased with the with the whole series of Daniel Boone. The first and second seasons were package very nice with only 2 disc in a case and a lot of information about the episodes on it. However, when I received the third season, all the disc were in the same case, with very little information. I was disappointed in the packaging, but still pleased with the show itself.It seemed like they cheap ed out on us and are not providing the same quality as was in the beginning. I used to sit with my daddy and watch Daniel Boone way back when it first aired. It is the only show that I know of with the setting of the frontier in the early Revolutionary days. We often forget the sacrifice those people made for us. If there is any other show like it, please tell me. I just preordered the fourth season, and I hope the packaging is better. A great show to watch with your family!!!!!

Covered Quite A Range of American History

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
28 August 2006

If the real Daniel Boone ever saw this show from some heavenly perch, he would have been amazed to see just how much was attributed to him. Boone in fact did live a very long life (1734-1820) for his era. But he not only was on the scene for just about every event in American history from the French and Indian War to the Jefferson presidency, but he, his family, and friends, never aged.

I remember back in the day that had Boone involved in the French and Indian War right up to the Aaron Burr conspiracy of 1805. That's about fifty years difference. Boone apparently knew and met just about every important person in that time period. I thought he had enough to do just settling the state of Kentucky and keeping himself and his family alive in dangerous times and places.

But Boone was played with charm and modesty by Fess Parker who after essaying the role of Davy Crockett for Disney seemed like the only choice for this part. The real Daniel Boone by all accounts was a modest and retiring man who was startled by all the fuss made about him. He also lost two sons in fights with the Indians, tragedy dogged him in his long life.

Parker had a good cast of regulars to help him, most notably Ed Ames, lead singer of the Ames brothers who went out on a solo career of his own while the show was running. He made a never to be forgotten appearance on the Tonight Show demonstrating the art of tomahawk throwing and scalping somewhat below decks.

It was a pleasant enough show, but kids if you see the reruns on TV Guide Channel don't cheat on your history homework by watching this.

Loved this one.

Author: szanity from US
3 October 2006

I loved this show as a kid and I remember it being on the air all of my childhood. It is full of historical inaccuracies but the fictional relationship between Daniel and Mingo, his half-English, half-Indian friend, makes up for it. Mingo was a unique character. I am watching the DVD's now of the first and second seasons and it's like going home again. The color episodes feature some really nice footage of authentic mountains and streams as you find them in Kentucky. This is a good series to share with young kids. They are not likely to see anything like it on TV again. I'm glad to see that many people agree and have managed to get Daniel Boone out on DVD. Let's hope the remaining seasons are to follow.

Historical accuracy? No but who cares.

Author: yenlo from Auburn, Me
30 December 2003

An interesting show that as another reviewer wrote was indeed part history and part western. Historical accuracy? No but who cares it was close enough. On top of all else had it not been for this show then one of the most memorable funny events in television history would not have been possible. The famous Ed Ames (who played Mingo) Tomahawk demonstration toss on the Tonight Show in 1965.

Classic television series detailing adventures and familiar life of well-known scout

Author: ma-cortes from Santander Spain
26 October 2007

This is a generally well acted version of life famous frontier explorer . Fess Parker (he starred similar character in ¨Davy Crockett¨) is well cast in the title role , he's an idealized Daniel Boone who takes on outlaws , mean settlers and tangles skirmishes with Indians . As frontier hero Daniel Boone conducts surveys and expeditions around Boonesborough , running into both friendly and hostile Indians , just before and during the Revolutionary War . There appears Boone along with family , wife (Patricia Blair) , children : Israel (Darby Hinton) and Yemima (Veronica Cartwright : future passenger in Alien) ; furthermore , his friends : the Indian Mingo (Ames) and Yadkin (Albert Salmi) . This is an enjoyable series produced by 20th Fox and famed producer Aaron Rosemberg and stunning musical score by Lionel Newman . Throughly agreeable and full of kind of boyhood images and finely performed by all involved . There is actually a compilation of various episodes that appeared originally on TV and were released theatrically . Entertaining action adventure detailing chapters in the stirring life of legendary pioneer , famous for his leading some settlers from North Carolina into Kentucky . Other cinematic version about this historical character are the followings : ¨Daniel Boone (1936)¨ with George O'Brien and ¨Trail Blazer¨ with Bruce Bennett .

The episodes are adapted on fictitious deeds but someone based on true events , these are the true facts : Daniel Boone (1734-1820) was a long hunter, Indian fighter, trail-blazing pioneer and was born in Pennsylvania . Moving to North Carolina he settled in the Yadkin Valley, supporting his family by hunting, often making long trips for profitable animal skins. Boone was impressed by the Indians hunting grounds of Kentucky and determined to make his home in this unsettled, fertile land rich with game. In 1773 he left Yadkin with his own and several families and headed west. The journey was thwarted by hostile Indians who killed six of the party including Boone's elder son. Boone, however, vowed to complete the emigration and with a band of hardy woodsmen , he set forth and blazed a trail, through the Cumberland Gap of the Appalachian Mountains to the Kentucky River, where they built a fort named Boonesborough. The Wilderness Road became the main pioneer over which poured the first waves of migration to the West. In 1778 Boone was captured by Shawnee Indians but he escaped to warn Boonesborough of an impeding Shawnee attack. Later he moved on to Missouri, then part of the Spanish territory of Louisiana, but the purchase of 1803 by US deprived him of this land. He died aged eighty-six in his son's farmhouse in Missouri.

Where have shows like this gone?

Author: MovieBuffMarine from Nova
21 March 2010

I just recently started watching the re-runs on the Retro Television Network. While I know it's mostly fiction, this is family entertainment at its finest. Again, while fiction, this show gets you interested in an American icon. I found myself looking up Daniel Boone on the net. My daughter even got interested and did a little report on Boone (not from material in the show, but she went to her school library and started reading about him)!

A shame I only knew of this show's existence recently, and as I got into the show, I was saddened to hear of Fess Parker's passing just three days ago.

Shows like this are gone as with Mr. Parker. But re-runs and DVD and Blue-ray have made it possible for future generations to appreciate this fine show for family entertainment.

The whole series is excellent