IMDb > "Bewitched" (1964) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Bewitched" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

I dreamed of Samantha

Author: 14jade
15 January 2002

`Bewitched' is one of my favorite shows of all time. `I Dream of Jeannie' did indeed have its moments, but I truly dreamed of Samantha! `Bewitched' offered lighthearted comedy while staying true to the `escapist' themes of the 1960s. Additionally, it was well written, and one of the few shows able to work seamlessly through numerous cast changes.

Elizabeth Montgomery WAS Samantha. No one will ever take her place. She was stunningly beautiful, creative, talented, and convincing in her role. Personally, I don't think she knew how great she really was as an actress. Likewise, Dick York WAS Darrin (yeah, I like 'em neurotic). The chemistry between York and Agnes Moorehead was one of a kind - and the chemistry between Montgomery and York was quite memorable, too. All three were at the top of their game in my two favorite episodes, `Double, Double, Toil and Trouble' and `If They Never Met.' Don't get me wrong, though - Dick Sargent deserves a lot of credit for coming in and taking over a role that had tough shoes to fill. In addition, Paul Lynde also offered some memorable moments - it would be a crime not to acknowledge his contribution to the show.

I have no doubt that I'll be `bewitched' for the rest of my life. We miss you, Liz!

Another classic television series

Author: Op_Prime from Ardmore, PA
11 January 2000

Bewitched was a great tv series. In my opinion, the best episodes were the black and white episodes with Dick York, the best Darrin. Elizabeth Montgomery did a great job on the series and so did Agnes Moorehead who played Samantha's mother, Endora. A series that will have a very long life in reruns.

Alice Pearce, the Consummate Character Actress

Author: topat from San Diego, CA
28 March 2005

Very few actresses could gulp, snivel and whine better than Alice Pearce. Her Gladys Kravitz' nasal voice resounded irritatingly over her husband George Tobias as Abner. "Abner! Abner!" made an entire television audience laugh as she ran back into the Kravitz home every week. Alice Pearce was a trouper until her death in 1966, and she never let us know she was ill. Sandra Gould took over the Gladys role, but I'll always recall the face, that gulp, that bug-eyed expression of Alice Pearce. So few actresses have become so identifiable by their voice in television, and fewer will ever be known for just one line like "Abner! Abner!". Applause to the late Alice Pearce, who deserved her Emmy Award!

What a great show!

Author: dool86jm from Florida, USA
2 February 2002

When I was a little girl I loved watching Bewitched. It was such a great show and the thought of someone having them powers was so exciting. Like many other people I also liked Jeannie, but not as much as Bewitched. Because Samantha was married and had children, and she seemed so in love with Darrin, she really tried so hard not to use her powers out of love for Darrin, but of course she couldnt help it once in a while, when all of her relatives would always do something to get her or Darrin into trouble specilly Endora, I really liked her. She was such an evil mother in law, but arent they all? ha ha ha. And what about Aunt Clara, the poor thing never got a trick right. And Esmeralda, Dr. Bombay, Cousin Serena, Aunt Hagatha, Maurice, Uncle Arthur was such a clown, and all the others who just pop in and out with out an invitation, is a surprise Darrin didnt run away LOL

All of the actors who played on this show did a great job, for a show that was from the 60s it sure had some great scenes, all that magic it was just so much fun to watch, I think we all wished Samantha was our mom, the things she could have done for us. I am an adult with children who learned to like the show also, and is too bad they took the re runs off the air. Shows like that can go on for ever and you never get tired of watching them. Elizabeth, Dick, Agnes and all the others you will be missed. :(

How Inane.....But I Just love it!

Author: M Jenkins ( from Sydney, Australia
31 January 2001

Jeannie and Bewitched have to be two of the most formulaic and predictable shows ever aired on TV. Every episode of Bewitched had ,in different orders and combinations, the same formula of Endora zaps something to muck up Darrin, and it pays off in Darrin's favour; witchcraft of some sort interferes with Darrin's work and he gets fired, then re-hired, when the witchcraft again pays off, or is foiled. While in the meantime, Gladys Kravitz, Mrs Stavens, or some unsuspecting extra is baffled by it all, and theres always some unbelievable explanation at the end of it all which the long suffering cast members swallow. With that in mind, its bizarre that it still rates in re - runs, and its bizarre that I've taped about 7 blank tapes worth of the show from TV that I watch again and again. I can't get enough of it. So. obviously the show has a lot of appeal which allows viewers to look beyond, or perhaps enjoy the formula. I think the appeal lies in alot of things. First, the magic is a huge and fascinating drawcard. Wouldn't we all love to be able to make things appear and disappear with a twitched, and wouldn't we all love Barbara Eden as our Genie who's madly in love with us? We all would (males, anyway RE Barbara Eden), and thats what draws us to the shows. Its also brilliant and magical itself to see the special effects being done nearly forty years ago without computers or complex editing machines. That really put a smile on my face. The characters were all so far - out an exotic, all kind of like British aristocrats who had lost all air of conservatism, and lived carefree lives zapping from the Riviera to lunch in Shanghai. They were so funny, fantastic and appealing. I loved the conflict too; Endora and Darrin, Darrin and Larry; Darrin and Serena etc. And the actors of course were all brilliant, and having a tremendous time playing their roles, and fun roles they were. The chemistry on set between York and Montgomery was so believable and real, the flamboyance and gestures of Endora and Dr Bombay was loads of fun, and the comic timing of York was always perfect. Yes, Betwitched and Jeannie have to be my two favourite TV shows of all time, because they're just unpretentious, lightweight and appealing entertainment, and thats why they've lasted so long, because who would take a show about witches seriously anyway. And thats its charm.

A Delightful Magical Journey to My Childhood

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
10 September 2005

The young executive of an advertisement agency, Darrin Stephens (Dick York) marries a beautiful woman, Samantha Stephens (Elizabeth Montgomery). In their honeymoon, Sam discloses a secret to him: she is a witch with magic powers. He makes she promises him that she will live like a mortal, without using witchcraft and spells in their lives, but sometime she uses her magic to help Darrin and herself. Sam's mother, Endora (Agnes Moorehead) does not accept her mortal son-in-law, hates him and hardly can speak his name correctly. In the suburb of Morning Glory Circle, where they live, their snoopy next-door neighbor Gladys Kravitz (Alice Pearce) suspects of Samantha, but can never prove the weird situations she sees to her husband Abner Kravitz (George Tobias). Darrin works in the McMahon and Tate with Larry Tate (David White), who is married with Louise Tate. Samantha frequently receives her witches' aunts in her house, specially her sweet elder Aunt Clara.

With these simple elements, but in great stories, "Bewitched" is certainly one of the best feel-good shows of television ever. When I was a kid, I loved this series. Last month, Sony released a colorized four DVDs box with the complete first season (36 episodes) in Brazil. It is amazing how perfect the colors are. With the exception of Stephens' blue car that changes the tonality in accordance with the episode, the rest is amazingly perfect. There is the participation of the famous guest stars, such as Adam "Batman" West (episode 13), Billy "Lost in Space" Mumy (episode 15), June "Lost in Space" Lockhart (Episode 6) among others. We can see the back of Rachel Welch in the role of a stewardess in episode 8. Yesterday I saw the last episode, and I am anxiously waiting for the next season of this delightful magical journey to my childhood. My vote for the whole season is nine.

Title (Brazil): "A Feiticeira" (The Sorceress")

When Dick York left, most of the magic went with him.

Author: mack3175 from Metairie, Louisiana
18 April 2002

A sweet premise, About a sweet witch(Elizabeth Montgomery) who marries a mortal(Dick York-Dick Sargent)much of the dismay of her witching mother(Agness Morehead). I love watching this show in reruns. It's a fun magic show. It also had meomerable characters like Uncle Arthur(The very funny Paul Lynde) Dr. Bombay(played very we'll by Bernard Fox). But when Dick York had to leave the show do to a serious back injury, and was replaced by Dick Sargent. It was not has funny anymore. The show's comic appeal was lost. Dick York was a comic genius. He had great comic timing. His comic reactions made the show. Besides Samantha's magic. I do not totally dislike Dick Sargent, I mean he was'nt that bad, he just was'nt has funny has Dick York. The only funny episode with Dick Sargent, is the Catch Phrase episode. But the show's appeal was'nt slowly falling only due to Dick York's departure. The show was wearing itself out. Maybe it should have quit while it was ahead.

It is a crime that they stopped airing reruns

Author: White Dolphin
15 October 2000

As I said, it's a crime that they stopped airing reruns (at least where I live). I remember being a kid and every night I would watch a double-bill of two wonderful magical (literally) programs on Nickelodeon- I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched. I always liked Bewitched a bit more for reasons I can't explain. Bewitched never quite got laughs out of me the way Seinfeld and Friends do but it is still a very cute television show that I will always love. Elizabeth Montgomery (who unfortunately passed away at a rather young age in 1995) plays the part of Samantha (and she plays it very well, as all the actors on this show, who unfortunately also all died before the millenium- besides the Tabitha and Adam twins), a witch married to a mortal husband in the advertising biz. Her husband, Darrin hates her mother, Endora who hates him just as much- but has an advantage, if he p****s her off she can always turn him into a frog or a doormat or send him off to Iraq. The characters also include a nosy neighbor who is sure of Samantha's powers but no one will believe her (not even her husband), Darrin's advertising boss, Larry Tate (who fires and re-hires Darrin quite oftenly), Samantha's evil twin sister (also played by Montgomery) and Samantha's very clumsy aunt who couldn't turn a man into a frog if he were green and lived in a pond. All in all Bewitched is a very delightful show and I miss it so much!

Elizabeth Montgomery: So Bewitching and Beautiful

Author: BettieTeese from Australia
23 April 2005

Bewitched is truly a magical classic 1960's sitcom with delightful characters such as the very beautiful and elegant Elizabeth Montgomery who sadly passed away in 1995,and hilarious plots based around the mishaps that come from being a nose twitching,broom riding witch. Elizabeth is truly a presence on screen as Samantha Stephens,a lovely blonde hair,blue eyed witch married to a mortal man,Darrin Stephens (Dick York,and later replaced by Dick Sargent)who's only request of his wife is to 'never use witchcraft'.Talented actress Agnes Moorehead portrays Samantha's 'bad witch' heavily made up,red headed mother Endora who does everything by magic,and detests her daughter's mere mortal husband 'Derwood' as she lovingly refers to him as.With Endora always 'popping' in to visit her daughter,but never using the front door,or any door for that matter,its a guarantee that Darrin will be blowing his top every time as he and Endora are always at each other's throats which makes for very entertaining viewing.But Darrin learns after awhile that his mother in law can and will turn him into an artichoke or a chimpanzee whenever they have a feud.Add a nosy neighbour determined to catch a witchy Samantha in the act,a bold and bossy employer,crazy and kooky witches and warlocks always causing trouble for the Stephens,occasional visits from deceased Benjamin Franklin's,and Darrin's nice and normal parents,and you've got this classic spell binding comedy that will bewitch you!

Nice Little Gem From The 60's

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
1 June 2002

The 1960's was a great time for TV comedy-we had The Munsters, The Addams Family, I Dream of Jeannie and my personal favourite-Bewitched.

The late Elizabeth Montgomery played modern day witch Samantha Stevens who was married to Darrin Stephens. The episodes were very formulaic-Darrin would mess something up and through a sequence of events Samantha would put it right with a twitch of her nose whilst trying not to arouse the suspicion of the neighbours/friends etc.

The funniest thing about this show was how true to life it was. I think it's safe to admit that us males usually need a woman to sort out any problems we have. Okay, she may not literally do it with the twitch of a nose but a woman is always good at sorting a problem out. That was the crux of Bewitched. Darrin was always making mistakes and getting into a predicament but he could always depend on his wife Samantha to sort things out. In fact, he would have been lost without her.

All in all, a great comedy show with some truly hilarious episodes particularly any featuring Agnes Moorehead as Endora.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]