This film as well as "Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray", both released in late 1962, are the first to feature the now famous "Adagio in G minor" by Tomaso Albinoni (1671-1751) which was first published in 1957.
The "pin-screen," also called the "pin-board," used in the opening and closing sequences was invented by Alexander Alexeieff in the early 1930's. It is a board with pins stuck in it at regular intervals. The pins can be raised or lowered to form an image, which can then be lit and photographed. By manipulating the pins and photographing them one frame at a time, the device can be used for animation, and though it was not so used in "The Trial" Alexeieff and Claire Parker made at least two short animated films using the pin-screen, _nuit sur le mont chauve, Une (1933)_ and Le nez (1963).