IMDb > The Pink Panther (1963) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Pink Panther

The Pink Panther More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 16: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Boring and Ridiculous Hollywood Fluff !

Author: ahmed elshikh (ahmed_abd_elreheem@yahoo.com) from Egypt
11 July 2010

I tried a lot to love this movie but I failed. It's a bedroom comedy meets a heist movie, but the outcome wasn't sexy or thrilling. The love story between (Claudia Cardinale) and (David Niven) was unconvincing; they had absolutely no chemistry with each other, most probably this storyline mirrors the real desires of old Hollywood producers at the time to have a young girl as a lover. (Robert Wagner) can't act or look droll. (Capucine) is uninteresting with one-note sullen face, looking more like a talking statue. (Peter Sellers) is in what seems to be a cameo that had been elongated. His farce was unnecessary and unfunny. The whole thing feels as cold as the ice which was in, and obviously around, the entire movie. This is the worst Sellers' Pink Panther movie. Compared to it, its first spin-off (A Shot in the Dark – 1964) is a wicked masterpiece, despite not having the wide-screen scenery and the ensemble cast. It makes believe that it's a comedy while in fact it has no laughs, just ridiculous and boring nonsense that alleges being comic. (Blake Edwards) was obtusely toying with money and stars without any nice stuff along the way. As a whole, it sounds exactly like a gift box covered with flashy paper and tied by expensive ribbon, yet with no gift inside. Its only advantage is starting the Pink Panther trademark cartoon and music. Add to that; the song in the middle; although I didn't understand a word of it, not knowing till now is it Spanish or Italian, but at least it was hot and lively unlike this movie!

didn't find it the classic many think it to be

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
17 November 2009

this first of the Pink Panther series of movies was watchable,but disappointing to me.it was entertaining-just.i had to struggle a bit to keep going.i didn't find it funny at all.all of the gags fell flat for me.they were all just way too obvious and most were telegraphed a mile away.i also thought it was probably about 30 minutes too long.it's also very repetitive,which can get quite grating after awhile.i don't see it as a classic,though it is hailed as one by many critics as well a large segment of the viewing public.still,it does pass the time,if you can find nothing else to do,and if you can stay awake.for me,The Pink Panther is a 5/10

This movie holds more sad moments than funny ones.

Author: Elswet from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
4 March 2006

For a movie billed as one of the best in the annals of comedy, this work really surprises me. Clouseau is a loving and devoted husband who is diabolically cheated upon by his wife, blind to all but his own inner thoughts, and ridiculed by the audience for having the heart to care.

Aside from wonderful performances by David Niven and a strikingly young Robert Wagner, Capucine as Mrs. Clouseau, and Claudia Cardinale as Princess Dala, this movie offered little in the way of true amusement. There are scenes and moments in scenes which proffer a feeling of bemused condescension, but there was not a single belly-laugh to be had.

The mystery was easily solved as the clues were obvious from the start. I prefer a mystery which does involve at least SOME degree of intelligence to figure out, but then again, if you the audience are to realize how bumbling and accidental Clouseau's success really is, you must first see what is obvious to everyone BUT Clouseau, so there was no real attempt to make the viewer puzzle the mystery.

In my opinion, this is the weakest installment of the Sellers line, though there ARE worse..."Inspector Clouseau," starring Alan Arkin is atrocious as is, "Son of Pink Panther," with Roberto Benigni.

All in all, this is the installment they started the series from, and I'm glad it's now been remade. It was time. At least Martin's Clouseau was funny without also being tragic. I cannot generate any emotion at all towards Sellers' Clouseau other than pity.

It rates a 5.4/10 from...

the Fiend :.

A slow start to a classic series

Author: blw37 from New Zealand
12 December 2004

The story line of The Pink Panther concerns, mostly, the efforts of various parties to steal a large and extremely valuable diamond from the deposed princess of an un-named Asian mini-state. A smaller part is played by the efforts of bumbling Inspector Clouseau to capture "The Phantom" - one of those attempting the theft.

Unfortunately the plot-line which takes up most time is far less interesting than the Inspector Clouseau line, leaving several sections of the movie with a feeling of marking time. The action (and comedy) only really begin to pick up until the party when the actual burglary is expected to take place and Clouseau and the Phantom are brought together.

Peter Sellers is priceless, as usual, but he is underused and the film as a whole suffers. Watch one of the later films where Sellers/Clouseau play a larger role, especially if you enjoy quality slapstick and visual humour.

Thumbs down to the series but thumbs up to the original

Author: Scott-101 from arlington, va
29 April 2004

*** 1/2 out of ****:

The Pink Panther series hasn't fared as well over time as other successful movie series like Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Star Wars, or Rocky, and I think the reason why is because the Pink Panther is a movie series in the first place. In most of Sellers' movies, Jack Closseau's stumbles and falls just get kind of repetitive and the movie's absurd storylines just run dry too easily, but on recent rewatching the series, I realized that the very first movie in the series is actually a pretty entertaining movie.

For starters, the movie is about the theft of a jewel called the Pink Panther so the title is relevant, for once. As opposed to other movies where all Sellers' Inspector Clusseau does is bumble around and act idiot, in this movie he actually seems to exhibit some intelligence as he's able to deduce who the criminal is before anyone else. By fine-tuning Clusseau (I'll flat admit I probably didn't spell that name right) and making him appear more normal, it becomes more of a test of Seller's comic abilities to deliver a more subtle performance, and it just escalates the whole movie.

Don't worry, though, Clusseau still has his moments of clumsiness: he falls on a guy's broken leg, he gets his hand caught in someone else's beer mug, among other things. Just in this installment, the comedy is more evenly distributed among a number of characters here. His wife, who behind Clusseau's back, is both in love with and an accomplice for Clusseau's nemesis, the jewel thief, the jewel thief himself, the jewel thief's mischevious nephew, and the princess who's the Jewel Thief's next victim. There's a lot of elements of screwball comedy, where people's storylines cross in unexpected ways, and people are forced to hide under beds, behind doors, etc. The story is fun, and ends with a surprise twist that has a lot more humor packed into it, than 100 of Clussaeu's bouts of clumsiness, and it's set among a background of European Alps and Cheatteaus, in those nice 60s-tinted colors.

A tedious mess saved by a few bits from Peter Sellers....

Author: (howlermonkey) from United States
17 June 2003

This movie seems to benefit from the reputation of its star Peter Sellers and from the reputation of its funnier sequels. But somebody's gotta say it---it's boring as hell, as well as about 40 minutes too long. There is far too little of Inspector Clouseau and way too much of the dated performers/sex symbols David Niven, Claudia Cardinale and Capucine. Their stardom is puzzling to me, though I give Niven some credit for carrying off the urbane British thing, but jesus isn't he a little old for that in this movie? and where did he get that mustache--from John Waters? Capucine and Cardinale are just plain dreadful, certainly far from comedic actors. the best thing is the party near the end, where a cop in a zebra outfit drinks straight out of the punch bowl. If the film had loosened up like this from the start we could have been spared the labored plotting and witless flirting between Cardinale, Capucine and Niven. oh, and Robert Wagner is certainly handsome but he shows the complete lack of charisma that carried him through a gem like Hart to Hart.

First yet not the best

Author: Mika Pykäläaho (bygis80@hotmail.com) from Järvenpää, Finland
28 November 2000

I suppose "The Pink Panther" splits the opinions of an audience. Other half thinks this is the only decent movie in the series, one with a proper plot and some sense. Other half (including myself) likes sequels better. Truth is that Peter Sellers is the major reason to watch these films and in here he ain't the star of the story yet - he is one of the stars alongside with David Niven and Robert Wagner.

I'm not saying this is a bad film. There's lots of legendary scenes and humorous horseplay in here and denouement is absolutely brilliant. It's just that if I compare "The Pink Panther" to "The Return Of The Pink Panther" for example, somehow this appears to be rather lame.

Inspector Jacques Clouseau's endless stupidity and conflicts with repulsive Chief Dreyfus (Herbert Lom) was the salt of the sequels - all that entirely missing in "The Pink Panther". Still, if you appreciate the comedy of a masterful Peter Sellers and a character called Clouseau, you can't ignore the movie that started it all.

overrated

Author: Joseph Pintar from New Hartford, NY
3 December 2004

The first Pink Panther is one of the most overrated comedies of all time. The only thing funny in this movie is Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau. Blake Edwards was correct in making Clouseau the center of sequels and not David Niven. His character is smug, not funny, and not very charming. Capuccine is very annoying as Clouseau's cheating wife. Only scenes that Sellers is in are funny. My advice: skip this movie and watch A Shot In The Dark, Return of The Pink Panther, The Pink Panther Strikes Again, Revenge of the Pink Panther, and Trail of The Pink Panther instead. All of these movies are funnier than this one. I give it a 5/10 only for Peter Sellers. David Niven (who has done much better) and Capuccine get a 0/10 because I couldn't stand their characters.

The Dumb Panther *1/2

Author: edwagreen from United States
5 February 2011

This was the start of Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau. The film did not give Sellers the opportunity to show his brilliance as the classic bumbling, inept inspector who managed to solve the crimes. If anything, the ending is not class Clouseau.

As his co-stars David Niven and Robert Wagner, especially the latter, were given so little to do. Capucine was not known for comedy roles and she utterly failed here. As the unfaithful wife, she really wasn't allowed to show the degree of her unfaithfulness. How did Brenda da Banzie, who co-starred with Laurence Olivier in 1960's "The Entertainer," fit in here. What was she a comical Pearl Mesta?

Very disappointing and ludicrous film.

A Fantastically Funny Film, But One of the Worst Endings Ever

Author: tom_dent from Australia
2 January 2008

First off do not get me wrong I greatly enjoyed this film, it was beautifully written (mostly) and directed and of course Peter Sellers is absolutely fantastic as Inspector Clouseau as are the rest of the cast in their respective roles. However, the ending is completely unjust. And for me while I can love a movie, if I do not think the ending is justified and understandable then I will disapprove of the movie. Such is the case this time.

I must state this first off, when I watch a film or read a book where 'the bad guys', 'deserve to win' by some creatively genius planning or highly thought-out intellectually reasoning, then kudos to them and congratulations. However, this movie is entirely different.

The ONLY decent character in the film is the one to be punished. Inspector Clouseau loves his wife and by her words "has many redeeming qualities", he is, "Kind, loyal, obedient, faithful." Yet in the end he is the one to suffer and face jail. The other main characters are deceitful, manipulative, untrustworthy and well...just downright evil. Particularly as the two main women (one of course being the honourable Inspector's wife) conspires to Clouseau's downfall. Yes he is bumbling, foolish and an idiot, but he has good values and ethics as he only attempts to achieve his goal and job.

However, this movie suggests that these are undesirable qualities as Clouseau is the one who ends up the worst of all the characters. Although, as is stated in the final scene - women will be all over him when he gets out in just a few short years. I am sorry, but being a male 'just a few short years of jail' would be too much for me, no matter how many women throw themselves at me after I get out.

The movie while excellent for 95 percent of its duration fails to win me over in the final few minutes and this is where I begin to dislike it. I have never watched a movie that has gone from an 7 or 8 out of 10 to a 2 or 3 out of 10 so quickly. What this movie suggests is that being sneaky, underhanded, deceitful, devious, sly and indeed Machiavellian are ways that people should act to get ahead in life. Whilst, hard working, honest, truthful, faithful, compassionate and even those who love will end you up in jail. Whether or not this is the intention of the film makers it should be deplored.

Whilst it may be considered a great film and hilariously funny, the means can not justify the ends. However, this should not discourage anyone from watching this film which contains one the finest film comedic performances of all time.

2/10.

P.S. I could of course be accused of over analysing the film and taking it too seriously, when it should be enjoyed light heartedly and with good humour. Yet the ending still ruins it for me, no matter what angle I attempt to take it from.

Page 11 of 16: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]