IMDb > Move Over, Darling (1963) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Move Over, Darling

Move Over, Darling More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Doris Day at her zaniest!

Author: Hoohawnaynay (DA90027@aol.com) from United States
19 February 2003

I really like this Doris Day flick. Doris does more slapstick in this feature than all her other movies put together. James Garner thinks Doris has been dead for 5 years. He is now on his honeymoon with new wife Polly Bergen and guess who shows up after being rescued off a deserted island? You got it. Doris hilariously ruins the honeymoon (this was when couples waited until the honeymoon to make love, YEAH RIGHT!) Anyway, Polly is quite frustrated not getting any action from James Garner. Several scenes are classics. especially when Doris poses as a Swedish Masseur and practically beats Polly to a pulp. The best scene of all is watching Doris drive a brand new 1963 Imperial Conv. into a car wash and then accidentally putting the top down.

Don Knotts makes a funny cameo as a randy shoe salesman and Edgar Buchanan (Petticoat Junction) is funny as a surly Court Judge. Thelma Ritter is always funny and she is up to par here. This movie was apparently re-worked for Doris Day after the death of Marilyn Monroe who was essentially filming the same movie when she died. Even the sets were basically the same. I guess 20th Century Fox needed the money after the Liz Taylor fiasco "Cleopatra" almost put them in bankruptcy. Overall, a very cute, sexy (for the era) funny movie. They don't make cute movies like this anymore. Too bad.

Another Thelma Ritter gem

Author: Jason Jon Sanicki (JSanicki@aol.com) from Chicago, Illinois
16 February 2003

This is the somewhat "infamous" film that has the distinction of being Marilyn Monroe's final film (titled "Something's Got to Give"), however she doesn't appear in any scene of it whatsoever. That's because by the time this film ended up being made, she was sadly already dead. Nevertheless Doris Day, James Garner, Polly Bergen and Don Knotts step in to replace Marilyn, Dean Martin, Cyd Charisse and Wally Cox and the results are simply hysterical.

This is a classic early 1960's "Kennedy-era" screwball comedy with jokes, gags, comic pratfalls and the like. Who out there will ever be able to forget Doris Day as the scheming "Swedish Nurse" and Thelma Ritter as the up to no good meddling mother-in-law? Move Over, Darling is a film that I like to watch at least twice a year whenever I need a good laugh.

My only wish is that Rock Hudson would have teamed up with Doris yet again to reprise their earlier success of "Pillow Talk". James Garner to me always seemed a bit wooden in the role of Nicholas Arden. Both Polly Bergen and Thelma Ritter singlehandedly steal the show.

One final note: in the original "Something's Got To Give" film that Marilyn did, there was a nude swimming pool scene. I would have liked to have seen Doris try to pull that one off, but alas, was it too "impure" for her to even think of doing in the first place?

My rating: 3 stars

(For an excellent analysis of Marilyn Monroe's final film with 20th Century Fox check out the book "Marilyn the Last Take". You won't be disappointed, trust me.)

Moderately enjoyable.

Author: fletch5
16 February 2003

Although this glossy remake of the 1940 comedy "My Favorite Wife" did not turn into the funniest Doris Day vehicle, it does provide several highly amusing moments (Doris's posing as the Swedish nurse is priceless). There are a couple of scenes that could have done with some trimming (Day and Garner's scene in the hotel room and the opening courtroom sequence come to mind) but the film benefits from an excellent supporting cast, Thelma Ritter being the stand-out.

Doris Day lovers will love this one!

Author: Bondgirl1 from Atlanta, Georgia
7 December 2000

No, it's not the most hilarious movie you've ever seen. But there is something magical about Move Over, Darling. No one could ever get mad like Doris Day and boy does she shine in this movie as usual. It's a fun film that anyone can enjoy if they don't think too hard and just sit back and relax. The added bonus is seeing James Garner flashing that million dollar smile and of course, Thelma Ritter who was always a riot in any movie she was in. Doris Day lovers need to add this to their collection.

The perfect feel good movie!

Author: Michael Gallimore (mbginok) from Oklahoma
9 January 2005

This is the perfect Sunday morning movie. It is absolutely delightful with a spectacular cast that even the least devoted movie buff will recognize. The primary actors, Doris Day, James Garner, Thelma Ritter, Polly Bergen, and Don Knotts are comic masters at the very peak of their talents. Aside from Doris Day's genius, Thelma Ritter pulls off another jem as Garner's mother. Thelma Ritter is in my honest opinion, the best character actress that Hollywood has ever produced, and is allowed to perform her many talents with minimal intrusions by other actors or the movies editors. If you love Doris Day, admire great comedy movies, or just need a little entertainment, this is the perfect way to spend a couple of hours!

James Garner is sooo hot and Doris shines as usual!

Author: JLB-4 from Illinois
11 August 1999

Despite my not being around when this was released, (I am 14) James Garner is really a dish. I enjoyed this movie a lot. It was done in a way you don't see anymore. James and Doris look so cute together. I really liked the story and am hoping to see the original with Cary Grant/Irene Dunne. I especially have a place in my heart for Doris Day's 60's comedies and I rank this with the best of them. I love the car wash scene...It was so cute. And Doris's and James's jealousies at what they had been doing when they were away, (just the measures they took), just was funny. If you wanna feel good, watch this movie!!!

Think Of The Potential

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
17 August 2008

Move Over Darling with James Garner and Doris Day which is a remake of the RKO classic My Favorite Wife is probably better known for being the end result of the disaster known as Something's Gotta Give. That of course is Marilyn Monroe's legendary last film that she never finished.

Looking over the cast of the unfinished Something's Gotta Give I have to say though I don't think it would have been Monroe's greatest film, the rest of the cast was pretty good. When 20th Century Fox fired Marilyn, Dean Martin also quit and the whole film was scrapped. At that point it was just decided to redo the whole thing with an entire new cast and apparently no one survived the change.

I also imagine that a serious rewrite would have to be done in order that a role originally cast for Marilyn Monroe could fit Doris Day. Seeing Doris on the screen I can't imagine that Chuck Connors or in Marilyn's case, Tom Tryon, would have been unsuccessfully trying to catch her on a desert island for five years.

The story as originally written by Sam and Bella Spewack has James Garner going to court to get his first wife, missing for five years after a forced ocean landing, declared legally dead. He wants to marry Polly Bergen. But wouldn't you know it, a Navy submarine rescues Doris Day at just that time and when she hears about Garner's new bride, it's Doris off to spoil that honeymoon.

Polly Bergen was just great as the picture of sexual frustration on that honeymoon. Although I can certainly see Cyd Charisse in that same spot with Dean Martin.

Edgar Buchanan is great as the crusty judge who declares Doris legally dead the first time and then has all the parties and then some in court to try and untangle things. That role was supposed to go to John McGiver and certainly those two would have been different types.

It goes that way up and down the cast list, Don Knotts substituting for Wally Cox as the timid shoe salesman Doris has impersonate Chuck Connors so Garner won't be jealous. And I can't see much difference with Phil Silvers as opposed to John Astin as the smarmy insurance man.

One thing I did notice is that there was no equivalent parts in Something's Gotta Give for Fred Clark the hotel manager and Thelma Ritter as Garner's mother. My guess is that whoever was supposed to play those roles may never have got on camera because there was no way to shoot around them.

I suppose the best thing to do is not speculate, but enjoy the funny comedy that did come out of all the grief 20th Century Fox had with this film.

Certainly only Doris Day could convince you that in five years she never succumbed to Chuck Connors.

Plush, burlesque comedy

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
27 January 2001

While on his honeymoon with a lusty, neurotic bride, widower James Garner discovers the hard way that first wife Doris Day is still very much alive. Enjoyable bedroom-farce, a remake of Cary Grant and Irene Dunne's "My Favorite Wife", has a colorful supporting cast, cute kids, a fine score by Lionel Newman and, of course, Day herself, shining brightly while going from happy to sad to frantic to sentimental. Despite some forced bits (shouting from Garner and the tired jokes with the irritated judge), it's a happily brawling slapstick comedy. I loved the scene where Doris, dressed like a sailor, sees her two daughters for the first time in years ("Are you a lady or a man?" they ask her) or when she sings them to sleep and one of the girls recognizes the song, but overcome by memories says she doesn't like it. Doris gives Polly Bergen the massage of her life, trades dry quips with Thelma Ritter, flirts with Don Knotts, and gives Chuck Conners a series of karate moves that leaves him floored. It's a comedic tour-de-force for the actress. *** from ****

Great mid-century classic

Author: FishIM from New Jersey, USA
19 September 2004

This movie epitomizes the blind optimism of the mid-century era. Its one of the perfect movies for Vintage and Mid-Century collectors. This is a remake of the uncompleted Marilyn Monroe/Dean Martin version (which is available in its

incomplete form in the Marilyn Monroe Diamond Collection) The Monroe

version wasn't finished because she died during filming after many on set

problems, it was slated to be finished ans just before filming she died! Having seen the monroe version and this as well, I have to say both are great in their own ways, the shots are almost identical, the dialogue as well, but casting

makes all the difference! The Day/Garner version has a much more wholesome/ happy vibe to it that for me is the hallmark of movies of the Mid-century era. You half expect to hear someone say "golly gee willikers"! or something corny like that. Doris Day delivers a performance that only Day can and Garner is the

unsung hero of this kind of genre movie, he had great comic timing, he was

dashing and personable without ever coming off as too sleazy or smarmy. I

really ache to see this one on DVD, especially if they are kind enough to include some fantastic extras!!!

Let's not forget it's over 40 years old.....

Author: mdantonio from New York
25 April 2005

I had never seen this movie but once I saw the cast, I new it had to be at least acceptable (it turned out to be much better than that). Each actor was skilled in either movie or television and the delivery of most of the comedic lines were as professional as can be. Doris Day, as a whole, is so underrated and rarely mentioned in discussions of fine actresses, when she should be. Whether it be good drama or good comedy, both are difficult and she fills the part extremely well. As for Garner, yes Grant has big shoes to fill but his presence is strongly felt. All of the others are just fantastic, all the way to Chuck Conners, in the roles they play. As a side note Maverick (Garner) meets the Rifleman (Conners).

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]