IMDb > McLintock! (1963) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
McLintock!

McLintock! More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

McLintock- in glorious bad taste.

Author: rogerblake-281-718819 from Godstone. England
21 June 2012

Perhaps not the film for those with a humour bypass or with political correctness issues but for the rest of us we can have a good old belly laugh at a movie that doesn't and isn't meant to be taken seriously.McLintock is an interesting character,on the surface an overbearing womanising drinker but underneath a good natured man with a heart of gold.He is tolerant of his daughter's choice of husband (a hard working but penniless young dirt farmer)He is also determined that the local native Americans have a square deal even though he has had some dust ups with them in the past.He enjoys a game of chess with the Jewish store keeper,a much valued friend who in the past gave McLintock and his then young family credit to survive a bad winter.If the film reflects Wayne's politics its done with a good humour.Unusually for a Wayne western nobody gets killed.Apart from a few punch up bruises the only injuries suffered are several punctured posteriors courtesy of Maureen O'Hara's hatpin.The plot concerns McLintock's estranged wife coming home to collect their daughter and to get a divorce.Like"The Quiet Man" the issue is settled by Wayne's character chasing our Maureen all around the town causing all sorts of mayhem then giving her a good spanking.He did the same to Elisabeth Allen in "Donovan's Reef".Oh well,if it works go for it,I wouldn't try it on my darling wife mind you.Old favourites Chill Wills and the delectable Yvonne de Carlo make welcome appearances,likewise the cameo from Leo Gordon was sublime.Gordon was one of the great western badies nobody had more shades of villainy,not even Lee Marvin.His previous appearance with Wayne was in "Hondo"He really surpasses himself,a loathsome horrible piece of work.Here he plays more stupid than bad as the worried father concerned with his daughter's whereabouts.Trying to hang the native American he holds responsible is not a good idea.She then turns up with a young cowboy in tow all fluttering eyelashes and feigned innocence.The rest is pure magic.Wayne grabs Gordon's shotgun repeatedly poking him in the stomach with it saying the immortal words 'Pilgrim,you've caused me considerable inconvenience,I haven't lost my temper in forty years,there was a time I would have hit you,I'm not going to now,the hell I'm not'The rest is history.With a nod to political correctness I'll give it eight stars,the hell I will make that ten.

"Arizona Territory"? (May contain spoilers, I don't know.)

Author: LeoStarDragon1 from United States
31 May 2008

Pardon me, but I just couldn't wait and read all 51 posts before asking something. At least two people thus far, up to this point, places the movie's setting in "Arizona Territory". HOW SO? (That's my question. Where's the bold to highlight? I'm not "shouting".) I have the good DVD, I saw the movie on PBS last weekend, and again just now, while I was reading some of the posts here and elsewhere. Here in Oklahoma, on Friday and Saturday nights, the local "PBS" affiliate has their "OETA Movie Club". Tonight it's "McLintock!" and "Angel and the Badman", both starring John Wayne. The series has a host. He points out that the evidence in the movie places the setting as being in Oklahoma, not Arizona. I knew that before he stated as much. The evidence is, "Fort Sill", "160-acre land lots", and the "Sooners", settlers that cheated by not waiting for the signal gun in the various land races, but instead went "sooner" and staked out their 160-acre claims in advance of the regular "Boomers". (Why "OU" would want to name their teams for cheaters has always eluded me, as well as to why "Sooner State" is our official nickname. The reasons given thus far don't make sense to me, for they count dishonor as a good thing. But I digress.) But my point is, it doesn't seem to take place in Arizona, but rather Oklahoma. O.U. has a library of movies set in Oklahoma, and it includes this one. Also "Indian Territory" and "Oklahoma Territory". But we drop the "territory" part for casualness, such as here. Otherwise I'd have used the full phrase. But other than maybe the filming location, I didn't see or hear evidence to suggest it as being "AZ" or "AT".

Best Kept Secrets: McLintock

Author: philadelphiastorygirl from United States
14 June 2007

Another day dawns and the master of the ranch has come home drunk again. G.W. McLintock (played by John Wayne) has been frequenting the bar ever since he and his wife separated almost two years ago. Trouble arises when new settlers come into town declaring that they have come for the free land the government has promised them. Upon their arrival McLintock warns them that there is no such thing as free land and the environment is not conducive to farming. McLintock has earned the respect of the community and has a reputation for his generosity. While the town is preparing for the homecoming of McLintock's daughter, Becky, he is informed that his wife, Katherine (Maureen O'Hara) has returned to town.

John Wayne has tremendous presence. The moment he appears on the screen it is obvious he is in charge. Maureen O'Hara magnificently holds her own with John Wayne. She is not overpowered but successfully stands up to him. James Edward Grant shows his talent as writer through the complexity of Katherine's character. It is indescribably funny. The ensemble cast appears to have great fun working together. There are numerous small roles but each of them are worth noting. The film also deals with racism against Native Americans and the rivalry between the upper and hard working classes. It is a high spirited film that is entirely worth watching.

Excellent Western

Author: rph240 from Pittsburgh, PA United States
20 February 2005

This was probably the most fun ever in a western, next to Blazing Saddles. The key actors were outstanding and the story line was warm and wonderful. And of course for movies from the 60's, a happy ending.If you like a good western mixed with comedy, then don't miss this movie.John Wayne was at his best as an extremely masculine man of the wild west and Maureen O'Hara was sexy without attempting to be sexy.It was also nice to see John Wayne's son Patrick, who did an outstanding job wooing the heart of the young Stephanie Powers in one of her early roles.Drago, played by the great Chill Wills, was outstanding as usual.Yvonne DeCarlo was her classy self, and Jerry Van Dyke also starred as a comic dude.

McLintock!

Author: Figgerman (lord_nosferatu_m@hotmail.com)
17 March 2002

John Wayne if anything can do good comedy, McLintock! is proof of it! He never had many chances to do comedy, McLintock! was a chance Wayne shown his usual serious side when he speaks for the Native-americans or threatening the leader of a lynch mob. (Then socks him) It also has the messiest fight scene. (where practicly everyone got in)

Superior Comedy Western -- Wayne/O'Hara Winning Team!

Author: mdm-11 from United States
28 May 2005

John Wayne has never starred in a more entertaining, "soft-core" Western. A story line that includes saloon fights and smashing up of general stores, but spares us the senseless violence and gore of "serious" Westerns. Maureen O'Hara is wonderful as Wayne's estranged wife who, after a lengthy separation, falls back in love with him. This classic is a sure 5-star production.

WARNING: Don't make the mistake of purchasing the DVD version, because it's the worst transfer of such a fairly recent film I have seen. I can understand if an "early talkie" shows signs of wear and loss of luster, but a 1963 Technicolor production should not look and sound like a poorly maintained copy of a 1930s Nickelodeon show! To escape that sort of fiasco, treat yourself to the VHS version, which is as good as it gets! This is The Duke's finest hour and should be enjoyed in the superb quality in which it was produced. I highly recommend this movie!

fantastic wayne-o'hara comedy

Author: rockpanrecords
16 November 2003

this movie has many elements to it, from outright comedic moments (daddy, shoot him), to very heavy scenes such as the duke, explaining his will to his daughter (power). an excellent john wayne film, the fight scene is excellent, as is the chase scene that ends the film. with the usual cast of supporting actors, this film reminds one of the bygone era in hollywood....good consistant entertainment.

McLintock! is Boring!

Author: atlasmb from United States
7 September 2013

Looking at the reviews on this site, it appears this film has many fans. I cannot understand why.

First of all, the script has no charm. I loved Wayne and O'Hara in The Quiet Man, but here they are working with a script that more closely resembles a Road Runner cartoon (mug for the camera, hit someone over the head with the nearest object, then fall hilariously over your own feet!).

Saying that the concept is based upon The Taming of the Shrew does not make it better.

Everything that happens in the film is broadcast in advance. There are no surprises. Slapstick can be an art, but here there is no joy in it. I don't mean to belittle the opinions of others. Everyone is entitled to his own opinion. But I found no genuine laughs in this movie. There are so many other worthy films out there.

Wrap yourself in conservative goodness!

Author: jeremyglick from Texas
30 June 2011

There's a good reason for the exclamation point in the title of "McLintock!": the entire film is uncomplicated, bold, and unapologetic to the core. This retelling of "The Taming of the Shrew" set in the old west serves mostly as a star vehicle for one of the great screen pairings of all time, John Wayne & Maureen O'Hara. But its main appeal is as a warm, reactionary blanket.

Adherents of this film will undoubtedly cite it as "good, wholesome entertainment" and state "they don't make 'em like they used to." They'd also mock my use of the word "adherents". It's because this movie was designed to appeal to our more conservative values. In McLintock men settle their differences with bare fists, and women secretly thrill over it. Bureaucrats and intellectuals are untrustworthy, because the only good, clean, honest work is done with your hands. Here women need to be paddled to know their place, and they won't respect you until you do. In this town cowards and "fancy boys" don't get the girl, and stereotypes are all in good fun (and true!). For many westerns most of this is implied, but in McLintock! it's the driving theme.

It may seem like I am knocking this movie, but I am really not. It is what it is: a chance to see John Wayne at his best, as an uncomplicated character whose adherence (that word again!) to his convictions sees him through all troubles, be they internal or external. And the entire effort is well-directed and entertaining, regardless of one's social compass. Yet I would remind anyone who feels this movie is "wholesome" that Running Buffalo's "Where's the whiskey?" line, delivered about a dozen times, probably set Native American relations back 100 years. And I would further remind anyone deriding my "political correctness" that McLintock! itself contains one of the most blatant PC moments in film. The only point of the subplot involving the local Comanche tribe is to show John Wayne, an American icon symbolic of our old west heritage, as sympathetic to the Native American cause. And the only point of that is to serve Wayne's legacy – a man who built his screen career on fighting Indians – and to allay our white conscience.

If McLintock really cared about the Native Americans, he'd give his land back to them and not some national park. And if the filmmakers really cared about them, the actors would have received some kind of screen credit.

Comedic western outing for Wayne

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
30 May 2017

MCLINTOCK! is a familiar western for star John Wayne with a greater lightness of touch than usual, making this an out-and-out comedy at times. Once again the story mixes together ranchers, land owners, government corruption, and ruthless officials, with Wayne a steadying presence at the centre of the production as he attempts to hold everything together. The comedy is often broad and some of it is more than a little sexist by modern standards (check out the film's poster for the most crushing example of this) but there are some highlights here like the big brawl in the mud pit. Wayne gives more prominence to female characters than ever, with Maureen O'Hara matching him, Yvonne De Carlo cameoing, and Stefanie Powers looking young and beautiful.

Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]