Gay Purr-ee (1962) Poster

Well I DID like it
fandoreth11 June 2002
seriously, I thought "Gay Pur-ree" is up there on par with Disney's greatest productions, even surpassing some of them. Sure it's no blockbuster, nor is it planned to be one. But it does manage a certain kind of epic magic, more akin to the impressionist style it emulates than to the "MTV video feel" behind most of today's standard animation works.

Gay Pur-ree (which aired in my country as "La Fair Mewsette", to my mind a MUCH better title) is a throwback to an age of innocence (corny as this may sound) in more than one sense; in those days, a simple, humane story was all the charm a story needed (my, that DID sound corny indeed). The movie had that special feel, in spades. And to me (a very impressionable 8-year old at the time), it was a true saga. I was taken to another world, cried for the characters, memorized their names and the song. And I dreamed of it for a month after watching it. I felt the magic. I felt as they said you should feel after watching an animated movie.

Maybe not a must see, but certainly a must remember. Watch it, and cherish the memory.
25 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
How can anyone NOT love this true jewel?!
spost826026 November 2002
It has everything! Action, romance (well, between two cartoon cats!)and adventure, in a family viewable arena! The children will adore this classic, I can practically gaurentee that! And the adults will laugh and cry along with it, cheering on the little Robespierre with his small body and lion's heart. Jon-Tom's tail and whiskers twitching as "The best mouse catcher in all of Paris!" spots a rodent hundreds of feet away (but never actually kills one). The pretty Mewsette who wants more than she can handle and ends up getting into trouble for it. Madame Rubinschottz, the large, pink cat of ill repute with the long eyelashes and big, red lips who sends out the despicable Meowrice, the scoundrel who is to bring a lovely kitty (Mewsette) into her fold. And lest we forget the "Money-Cats" (the scraggly, silly, bumbling black alley cats who shake their cat-behinds on the rooftops to the tune of "The money-cat knows where the money-tree grows"!). This cartoon feature is like those famous potato chips that claim you cant eat just one. Once you see this film, you will *always* want to go back!
17 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best of the impressionist cartoon genre
DrWindyR8 July 2000
This movie is marvelous. The story is "girl-rejects-boy; girl-gets-into-trouble; boy-rescues-girl; all-live-happily-after." Very romantically satisfying. Paul Frees' voice is perfect for Meowrice, as is Robert Goulet's for Jeune-Tom. Judy Garland's voice is in fine fettle as Mewsette. The impressionist drawing and background style is unique. I've never seen another like it.

This is one of those movies parents can allow their children to enjoy without fear of their being exposed to too much sex and violence. On the other hand, adults can enjoy it, also, on a different level.

We still watch it regularly 3 or 4 times a year.
16 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Hidden Treasure
BobLib3 August 1999
Maybe I had advanced tastes for your average eight-year-old. I don't know. What I DO know is that, ever since I saw this underrated classic on TV at about that time, I fell in love with it, and that love affair has continued down the years since. First, there's the voice casting. You will never hear a better latter-day Judy Garland than here. She's in great voice and seems to be genuinely enjoying herself in the role of Mewsette. Ditto Robert Goulet, Red Buttons, Hermoine Gingold, and company. The Harold Arlen - Yip Harburg songs, if not the classics they wrote for "Wizard of Oz," very enjoyable. In fact, I believe this was Arlen's last full-length score, after the Broadway flop "Saratoga," and, rumor has it, it was he who persuaded Garland to take the job. The animation excellent and imaginative throughout, especially the sequence where Mewsette is depicted in the styles of various artists, and even though ace animator Abe Levitow gets sole directorial credit, it's obvious that executive producer Chuck Jones had a pretty active hand in things as well.

One final note: In addition to owning the video myself, we also have it in the video collection of the library where I work. When I recommend it to people as a good alternative to Disney&co for the kids, patrons will say they've never heard of it, but take it out on my recommendation. When they come back the next day, they always say almost the same thing: "Wow! This was great! My kids loved it and so did I. Why didn't I know about it before?" And I tell them "Because it's one of the great hidden treasures of animated features." Which, I think, says it exactly.
16 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Roses red, violets blue, let me make this clear to you..."
Ash-6513 March 1999
There are a few excellent points about this movie. Garland's voice sounds great here. The animation is quite unique, in that most of the backgrounds and such look like something out of an Impressionist painting, and are very beautiful. Red Buttons is very cute as Jaune-Tom's (Robert Goulet) small sidekick. The Harburg/Arlen songs are excellent, and they work nearly as well with Judy here as they did in The Wizard of Oz (1939), that marvel that truly started her entire career. The story is a little low on magic, but is pretty charming, and small children will like it. All in all, a treat for fans of Garland, Goulet, Harburg and Arlen, and original animation style.
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The most enchanting animated movie from the 1960's.
dianacurtis2 March 2004
Gay Purr-ee is the most beautiful movie I ever remember seeing as a child. Unfortunately I don't remember the story-line in great detail, because many years have passed but I remember some very touching scenes from this movie. The seemingly endless journey of two cats travelling to Paris: following the railway line they jumped from sleeper to sleeper through the long night, exhausted. The lure of this enchanting city of Paris spurring them on against great odds. The treat of a saucer of pure cream, as luxurious as the best caviar. The development of the characters and the actor's voices that brought them alive was superb. The incidental music during the movie lifted my heart, transported my emotions on a roller-coaster ride of delight and sorrow. I will hunt for this title in all the video stores in town because I absolutely must be enchanted again by this lovely work of art.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Judy Garland, Chuck Jones and cats, a real dream of a pairing!
TheLittleSongbird7 November 2010
I personally absolutely love this movie. I do think the title is rather odd though, but everything else is simply terrific. Gay Purr-ee is sophisticated, witty and charming and I have never tired watching it. I love Judy Garland, and think her performances in The Wizard of Oz, Meet Me in St Louis and A Star is Born are timeless. Chuck Jones is a terrific animation director as well, who has directed some of the best cartoons in existence in my opinion. And I love cats, they are cute, clever and lovely animals, and asides from Gay Purr-ee other great cat movies are The AristoCats(a film I always see this film compared to) and especially Felidae which is quite a different kettle of fish.

Gay Purr-ee is simply terrific. The animation is lovely, the visual style is unique and colourful and I loved the character designs of especially Mewsette and Meowrice, Mewsette is beautiful and charming and Meowrice is quite sophisticated. The story is always engaging, it is a very simple story, but the simplicity works wonders, plus it is never devoid of charm. The dialogue has its fair share of wit too, very rarely does it feel forced or trite. The characters are likable, I have always had a soft spot for Meowrice myself and Robespierre is so cute. The pacing is brisk, and I loved the inspired scene with the impressionist painters especially Van Gogh.

My favourite assets though of Gay Purr-ee are the music and the voice work. The music is simply terrific. Harold Arlen and EG Harburg are one of the finest songwriting collaborations, and I loved their work here. The incidental music is very nice, and the overture is wonderful. Little Drops of Rain and Roses Red, Violets Blue are delightful, but my favourite is Paris is a Lonely Town which is quite touching. And of course the voice work is superb. This film is more than a showcase for Judy Garland's talents despite what some might think. She sings beautifully and she gives Mewsette a certain modesty and humanity that came through either when she was speaking or singing. Robert Goulet has a beautiful voice and Jean Tom avoids being bland thanks to the charm Goulet brings. Red Buttons is like his character Robespierre, cute and funny, while the wonderful Paul Frees is outstanding as Meowrice. And it was nice to hear Mel Blanc's distinctive voice again too.

Overall, charming, witty, sophisticated and I think unfairly underrated animated film. 9/10 Bethany Cox
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Enjoyable Family Film
randall-8918 June 2009
This is a G rated film that features the voice talents of Judy Garland, Robert Goulet, Red Buttons, and a host of the best voice actors working in animation at the time, including Paul Frees (Boris Badinov), Mel Blanc (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Barney Rubble, and many more) and June Foray (Rocky the Squirrel). It combines their voices with colorful animation and beautiful dream sequences put to songs. The story takes place in France during the 1890s and involves a beautiful young feline named Mewsette (Garland) who leaves her home on the farm to become the toast of Paris. Her boyfriend (Goulet) and his small sidekick (Buttons) come after her to bring her back, but the evil Meowrice (Frees) already has her in his clutches. I enjoyed this as a child and again as an adult.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Judy's First (and only) Animated Film
I love Judy Garland, I have a few of her films. And I love movies that are set in Paris like "The Last Time I Saw Paris" starring Elizabeth Taylor (another favorite actress of mine) and Van Johnson; also the Pixar animated film "Ratatouille." One last thing to say is that I am cat lover, as I said many times.

Judy did a wonderful job as Mewsette, both in speaking and singing for her. And Chuck Jones did a excellent job with the production and animation of the film; Chuck Jones is one of my favorite animators. So overall, this film is an excellent piece of animation. It is colorful and beautifully animated, with songs you will remember and love.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Rather surprising mixture of animated sophistication and imagination...
moonspinner5525 January 2008
Although too long at 85 minutes, this animated musical from UPA is quite tuneful, with visual wit and flair to spare. Slim plot, about a French barnyard feline seeking adventures in Paris, is helped considerably by bright Harold Arlen and E.Y. Harburg songs, and of course by Judy Garland's incandescent speaking and singing voice as Mewsette. Never popular with children, the film's writing tends to place the accent on sophisticated conversation, less on animated hilarity. Consequently, it isn't a big crowd-pleaser, although students of animation would be wise to check it out (the humorous art history lesson on the Impressionists is worth the time alone). **1/2 from ****
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A rather underrated animated musical
TheOneManBoxOffice11 August 2016
Animation historians may have heard of the studio called United Productions of America. They were best known for creating animated shorts such as the Oscar-winning Gerald McBoing-Boing, the suspenseful short adaptation of Edgar Allen Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart narrated by James Mason, and the Mr. Magoo television series. They've made two animated features during their run. The first was the 1959 loose adaptation of 1001 Arabian Nights released under Columbia. The second one became the 1962 film Gay Purr-ee, released under Warner Brothers and directed by Abe Levitow, who has worked on many a Looney Tunes short with his partner Chuck Jones prior to this.

Set in France in the 1890s, also known as the Gay '90s as the title implies, the film is about Mewsette (Judy Garland in her only voice role), a country feline living on a farm with the mouser Jaune-Tom (Robert Goulet in his film debut) and his partner, a small blue kitten named Robespierre (Red Buttons). However, tired of her farm life, she hears about the beauty of living in the city of Paris, and decides to run away and catch the train. She is introduced by a black-and-white schemer named Meowrice (I swear, I'm not making that name up), not knowing that he has some rather slimy plans for her. Jaune-Tom learns of Mewsette's departure from Robespierre and they head for Paris to try and find her.

Even though the film is animated, it is, at heart, a musical, on par with many other musical films released before this, including the ones that also star Judy Garland. In fact, all of the songs written for the picture were done by Harold Arlen and E. Y. Harburg, the same duo who wrote the songs for the beloved 1939 MGM classic The Wizard of Oz. Even after 23 years, their songwriting still held water, with songs like the uplifting "Roses Red, Violets Blue", and the slower ballads like "Take My Hand Paris", "Little Drops of Rain", and my favorite one of them all, "Paris is a Lonely Town", to name a few.

For the animation, if you're familiar with the shorts made by UPA, the animation is limited, but visually appealing and influential in terms of design and style, with French expressionism being a large inspiration of how the final film is supposed to look. For an animated film made in the '60s, this is probably the most colorful and very much alive. This is further utilized in a later scene where the film's artists make parody portraits based on the works of Vincent Van Gogh, Georges Seurat, Claude Monet, and, yes, even Pablo Picasso. After watching the scene, you'll know why UPA was known for their unique style that other studios weren't doing in their heyday.

The sad thing about this film is that it is not as well recognized as a lot of other animated classics. Even the 1970 animated Disney film "The Aristocats", which also took place in France and focuses on...well...cats, became more popular. The only people that would remember this film is if they were film and animation historians or if you saw it via Cartoon Network's Cartoon Theatre back in the '90s. Thankfully, however, the film is being re-discovered, with airings on Turner Classic Movies and releases on DVD via the Warner Archive Collection. For me, this is an underrated piece of animated cinema that should've gotten more recognition over the years. If you enjoy classic animation, definitely pick this one up.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best suited for adults with an interest in animation
Wizard-812 May 2016
"Gay Purr-ee" has some interest in that it was co-written by the great animation director Chuck Jones. If you are looking for proof that Jones was a much better director than a writer, this movie will provide the necessary evidence. While the script isn't downright awful, it is quite lacking in some key areas. For starters, while none of the characters are repulsive, all the same you will not really care about them, even with the main protagonists. They are pretty thin and rely more on attributes found in stock characters than having attributes that would make them unique and sympathetic. Another problem is with the story itself. There is really only about enough story for half an hour, which results in the story moving extremely slowly. Additional padding (mostly in the first half) comes from the song numbers, which number too many for the audience's patience. The songs are pleasantly sung by the cast, but otherwise they are not really memorable. On the positive side, the movie does have some nice background art throughout (thought the actual animation is only so-so). What the movie ends up being is a movie that will probably bore kids, and will probably test the patience of parents who are not aficionados of animation.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
With Judy, you'll have a gay ole' time with this pretty kitty!
mark.waltz19 December 2014
If you have a long career in film and are known for your voice, you will eventually be asked to provide it for a film. It wasn't only Disney doing animated films during the hey-dey of their classic cartoon features, even though it was a rare occurrence for other major films. This came on top of "101 Dalmations" at Disney, so instead of some fabulous spotted dogs, you've got a variety of cats, hep ones, sweet ones, villainous ones, and in the case of one big eccentric cat, a total camp kitty.

Judy Garland provides the voice of Mewsette, the innocent white cat who wants something more than her provincial life (to quote the leading lady of another animated classic). So she leaves behind lover kitty Jaune-Tom (Robert Goulet) and heads to the big city of lights, falling prey to the nefarious Meowrice (Paul Frees) while being turned into a sophisticate by the wacky Mme. Rubens-Chatte (Hermoine Gingold). It's up to Jaune-Tom to rescue her from the fate Frees has in store for her.

This was a reunion for Garland and "The Wizard of Oz" song-writing team of E.Y. Harburg and Harold Arlen (also the writer of "Get Happy"), and the score they provide for her is a delight. "Paris Is a Lonely Town" should be up there with the songs which Judy sang about other cities, and it is a shame it was not nominated for an Oscar. Goulet, then a big hit thanks to "Camelot" on Broadway, is great singing opposite Judy, while Red Buttons provides great comic relief. Frees, of course, is an animated voice over veteran, having frightened children (and make them laugh at the same time) as the Burgonmeister in "Santa Claus is Coming to Town". All you have to do is mention Hermoine Gingold, and you know exactly what you're going to get. Definitely worthy of re-discovery, "Gay Pur-ee" is a beautiful tribute to the city of lights and totally endearing even amongst the more well known Disney classics.
Pretty, Charming, but VERY Dated
Alexander Mitchell15 July 2014
As a long-time animation fan, I sincerely believed I had never seen this film before recently obtaining a video, then a "flashback" much like a recovered, repressed memory hit during the song "Bubbles"..... So, I saw the movie somewhere in my childhood, but have no fond memories or nostalgia about it.

Part of me sincerely wants to like this film. There's something in it for young and old, the music is superbly rendered, and the plot will appeal to younger children without being insulting to their intellect, though it may be a bit much for, say, those under eight or ten. And the characters have Chuck Jones' DNA all over them--anyone familiar with his later work with Warner Brothers, "How the Grinch Stole Christmas," etc., will see all the signature expressions, facial builds, movement flow, etc.

That being said, however, the picture has several problems. Don't let Warner Brothers logos fool you; this is a UPA animation project, and it entails all the grainy, "low-budget" feel UPA was famous for (think Mr. Magoo or early Japanese anime). It works in its own novel way in this film, but anyone who has grown up in the CGI era that has brought us The Simpsons, Wall-E, Lilo and Stitch, Cars, Up, Tangled, Wallace & Gromit, Beauty & The Beast, etc. is likely to look at this and scream "Are they kidding?" Furthermore, although the musical talent was excellent in this picture (even on low-tech videotape, the songs come off superbly rendered, among the best animation has ever offered), the pacing of the movie and its music hearkens right back to the movies of the Fifties, Forties, and earlier where the movies were musicals that served more as vehicles for the musical soundtrack, not the other way around. If you go into this expecting the big musical where they continually interrupt the story to sing another song, you'll do fine, but many contemporary children may get fidgety and think "get on with it already!"

All told, I don't want to discourage this film. But I suggest that any viewer, over fifty years after it was made, consider the cinematic perspective of the time in which it was released, just as one should with any other decades-old film, animated or not.
Cara B18 February 2014
I love this movie because the cats are so cute. To me this movie feels like a Golden Era Hollywood musical that got turned into a cartoon with music. Judy Garland's singing is superb. She hit all of her notes and the other voice over actors are good too. The artwork is very French and I liked the clip where Mewsette was being shown in multiple paintings. Major French artists got to have their works represented to children.

There is not much violence so kids can easily watch this movie. I don't think this movie could ever be remade because the talent was there behind the scenes and on camera. It's not easy to make a film about singing cats and keep my attention. But they were able.
An animated curiosity starring Judy Garland
Jimmy L.28 August 2013
The UPA cartoons were known for their stylish art direction and in this film the backgrounds and scenery are like beautiful impressionist paintings. Unfortunately it's not enough to save this mediocre animated feature.

The main character designs look generic and the performances from the impressive vocal cast (Judy Garland, Red Buttons, Robert Goulet, Hermione Gingold) are mostly bland. Voice actor extraordinaire Paul Frees does a good job as the villain.

The story concerns a farm cat in turn-of-the-century France who journeys to Paris and falls in with some shady characters, while her provincial beau comes to the city looking for her. The songs are forgettable, though the musical sequences have style.

The best scene is a brief lesson about famous artists of the era and their styles (Monet, Toulouse-Lautrec, Van Gogh, Seurat, Degas, Renoir, etc.). It's actually quite educational. The movie has a subtle high-brow edge. Beneath the simple story and cheap laughs it wants to be artistic and intelligent.

Comparisons to Walt Disney's THE ARISTOCATS (1970) are interesting, though mostly superficial. A white lady-cat, a yellow/orange tom, an adventure in Paris. Singing. Quintessential French entertainer Maurice Chevalier sings the title song for THE ARISTOCATS, while Morey Amsterdam does the narration for GAY PURR-EE in his best Chevalier voice. What people might find surprising is that the better-known Disney film was made eight years *after* this UPA feature.

It's clear from other reviews that GAY PURR-EE (1962) is beloved by many who cherish the memory of watching it as children. However without the rose-tinted lens of nostalgia, the film is only interesting as a curiosity. UPA seems to be aiming for something special, but doesn't quite hit the mark. Kids might still enjoy it, though.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Judy Garland in Paris as a Cat!
JLRMovieReviews22 August 2013
Judy Garland, Robert Goulet, and Red Buttons lent their voices to this animated movie about a cat, Mewsette, that dreams about leaving the French countryside to see the bright lights of Paris. When she gets a chance to hop on to the back of the car of her owner going there, she takes it. When Jaune-Tom (another cat obviously), voiced by Goulet, finds out she's gone, he must go after her. He may never see her again! That's okay with his buddy, voiced by Red Buttons. She was always in the way of him wanting to hang out and have fun with Tom. Tom did seem interested in Mewsette, but showed it only by bringing dead rats to her and she was unimpressed by such tactics, while probably secretly liking him but not his uncouth, un-Paris-like ways. Such are the temperaments in this tale of love and excitement in a cat's world in France. Then there's adventures abound for Mewsette in Paris and for Jaune-Tom and buddy looking for her on the way to Paris. I thought I remembered liking this years ago, but seeing it recently, I felt it to be an odd mixture of art-like animation and simple juvenile-type humor. But is this geared towards adults or children? Children are the ones who will tire of this first, as this doesn't really grab you in the beginning. Instead it relies too much on the charm and talent of its stars, but that will be lost on children, particularly young children, who won't like the singing slowing down the picture. Adults, who love the singing style of its stars, Garland and Goulet, may like its romanticism and feeling somewhat chic, and at the same time moody, but may be feel something's lacking. Also, its silly resolution doesn't really fit in or mix well with the supposed mystique of Paris and L'Amour, L'Amour. Paul Frees gives a particularly good performance as the film's villain; one could say his hammy, over-the-top performance steals the show. Parents, who aren't Garland fans, who see this for their children may be minimally pleased. Children may like its quaintness, but won't be overjoyed by it. Judy Garland fans, who try to find everything she ever did, will probably be more impressed with it than most everybody else. Its major flaws are its ending and the lack of three-dimensional characters. But, maybe if you can find this little film, you can find more than meets the eye in Gay Purr-ee.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun and nice to look at, but rather hollow
funkyfry7 February 2011
This is a nice alternative to the Disney films for those who enjoy the really elaborate hand-drawn animation of those days but who want to look at some of the other stuff that was being done. Chuck Jones' name is on here as one of the writers, and his fingerprints are all over it. There's great little moments like when the lead cat, Jaune-Tom (voied by Robert Goulet) spots a mouse in the distance and his whole body is electrified before he dashes off after it at light speed.

The film also provides an opportunity for Judy Garland, who voices the lead kitty Mewsette, to reunite with her "Wizard of Oz" songwriters "Yip" Harburg and Harold Arlen, although sadly none of the resulting tunes approach that film's magic. "Paris is a Lonely Town" is an OK ballad for Garland, and most of the songs work well in the movie, but the only section that I think is really memorable musically is the part with the alley-cats, "The Money Cat," which also features some of the film's most stylish animation. I'm a big fan of Harburg and Arlen so it really pains me to say that I just do not think that they were on top of their game exactly here. It's not bad music, and it's not bad for the movie, there's just nothing that really goes over the top and works on anything more than the basic level.

The animation in this film is elaborate, really almost over-elaborate. It's perfectly suitable for the song "Bubbles" to become very weird and hectic because it's a scene where Jaune-Tom and his buddy Robespierre (voiced distinctively by Red Buttons) are getting drunk for the first time. It's a bit like the pink elephants scene in "Dumbo", but with goofier music and not as scary. Some of the other musical/animation sequences are a bit dull and really just padding the film basically. The scene where Mewsette is supposed to be posed in all these portraits by Van Gogh and Toulouse-Lautrec or whatever was really sort of bizarre even though it was obviously well-intentioned. "Little Drops of Rain" stops the film dead 1/3rd of the way into it and really has nothing to do with anything. The animation is fascinating, almost psychedelic which is striking in 1962, but it really isn't hinged to the movie very strongly. The way the music and the plot are mixed isn't very fluid, because instead of showing Mewsette or Jaunte-Tom singing in character they cut away to these montages which are somehow at the same time the one thing really worth seeing here especially for an adult viewer but also just seem very poorly integrated with the plot for the most part so that they always seem to stop the action. Again that's with the exception of "Bubbles", where it actually made sense for them to suddenly go into an intoxicated dream-vision.

This is a interesting film; it's worth seeing. I think the integration of Garland's distinctive voice with this cute kitten character, which I was doubtful about going into the film, worked remarkably well. Goulet's voice is genial and matches the characterization in the animation quite well also. There's more perfect (oh god, don't let me say "purr-fect") casting with Hermione Gingold as a kind of fattened feline madame.

I didn't care for the story overall however. It's a rather conservative story for people like Harburg and Arlen to be involved with: basically the cats are happy in the country but the woman thinks that she's going to be happier in the city because she hears a society lady talking about it, so she runs off. Yes that's her big independent character-building moment, about all that there is. It's romantic that Jaune-Tom followed her, and I enjoyed his adventures with Robespierre in Alaska and so forth, but then in the end the city is just this scary evil place and it turns out everybody would have been happier if they had just stayed home all along. And to me that's just not a very exciting or worthwhile message and I guess I just do not see the point of the movie other than just the fact that all these particular talents weren't working on anything better.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Three country cats visit Paris in the 1890s
Wuchak22 January 2018
RELEASED IN 1962 and directed by Abe Levitow, "Gay Pur-ee" is an animated film about a beautiful feline, Mewsette (voiced by Judy Garland), whose romantic fantasies about life in Paris become the awful truth when she stows away to travel there, but her dreams are shattered by a shady cat (Paul Frees) and his "sister" (Hermione Gingold). Meanwhile, a tomcat named Juane-Tom (Robert Goulet) goes to Paris to save Mewsette along with his lil' pal, Robespierre (Red Buttons).

I suppose it helps if you're a cat-lover, but I always liked this cartoon flick. Sure, there are too many songs and only enough story to make up for half the runtime, but "Gay Purr-ee" has its charm. The climatic confrontation is particularly entertaining. Juane-Tom and Robespierre are the best characters. To be expected, several of the story elements reflect real-life, including a drunken binge (lol), but also money-loving smooth-talkers who take advantage of the naïve and ignorant.

THE FILM RUNS 85 minutes. WRITERS: Dorothy Jones & Chuck Jones with additional dialogue by Ralph Wright & Levitow.

0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
C'est Magnifique!
Brian T. Whitlock (GOWBTW)26 December 2017
France is a beautiful country or I will simply say, "La France est Belle". One must explore the beauty of the other side of the country, you just got to find the right connections. But this film is from the cat's eye view. Voiced by the wonderful actors and actresses, this animated movie is magnificent in a way. You got Judy Garland, Robert Goulet, and the voice of "Bugs Bunny" and other Looney Tunes characters, Mel Blanc. And the magic of Chuck Jones is nice. Here you have this cat who like a lavish lifestyle, and her boyfriend cat is not socially open. This lavish starved feline wanted to leave the farm life and head out to Gay Paris. However, the cat she hooked up with have other plans for her. So when the boyfriend cat brings along his friend, they start to have an adventure of their own. So when she's shown of the artwork that she can be on, she would later find out that the concat is shipping her out to the USA. While the two male cats get sent to cold parts of the USA, only to return to Paris, RICH! When the feline cat suffered a setback from fulfilling a dream, she feels redeemed when the boyfriend fought back to get what he loved. When where you live doesn't make you happy, it's great to try out something new. You just have to experience life for yourself and not let anything or anyone break your spirit. A great cartoon. I wished that it got a better results from back then. 5 stars
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
How I recall
Stebaer49 June 2017
Yes This is a great cartoon of which I'd first seen on Thanksgiving Saturday night of 1975.

I even mistook The title for Gay Paree a.k.a./ or gay Pari.

It's a very well made Cartoon.

It only takes a few words to tell because there are few and far between to say about it or as the french may say eet.

Jaune Tom makes a great character as you'll see.

Judy Garland does a great voice supplementation too.

Check out Chuck Jones' book Chuck Amuck too.

Jaune Tom is interesting with his talent(s) too.

Cordially,Stephen"Steve" G. Baer a.k.a. "Ste" of Framingham,MA.USA
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Boy--my taste must have been LOW as a kid:)
preppy-39 March 2009
I remember seeing this a few times on TV as a kid. I vaguely remember liking it and had an amusing time hearing Judy Garland doing vocals for an animated cat! Seeing it now (about 30 years later) I can't figure out WHAT I ever liked about this. The story is dull, silly and trite and the animation is (and I'm being nice) 4th rate. I've seen episodes of "The Flintstones" with better animation that this! The songs were entirely forgettable, the characters were ALL annoying and it was a struggle to make it through to the end. This is getting three stars just for the vocals of Garland and Robert Goulet--they even make the bland songs sound OK. Very young children might like this but anyone over the age of eight will be bored out of their minds! Easy to see why this is mostly forgotten.
2 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Purr-fect Waste of Time
daveed-24 July 1999
I remember enjoying this movie as a child, but, after viewing it some 30 years later as an adult, I wonder why it ever appealed to me. The animation is second rate, at best - cheaply drawn, with static backgrounds. (The one touch of inspiration was to paint the backgrounds in the styles of the great impressionist painters - most notably, Vincent Van Gogh.) The music, though written by two of this century's greatest songwriters, is entirely forgettable. The story is extremely weak and entirely devoid of any charm or wit. The movie appears to have been produced for the price of a song - and not a very good song, at that. The movie's one redeeming quality is the impressive vocal talent behind it. This cartoon is best suited for young children. Anyone over the age of 10 will be bored with it. When there are so many wonderful family films from which to choose, both animated and live-action, why squander your time by watching this one?
3 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
radomski-217 February 2012
I was eight years old when this film came out. I never got to see it then but had a comic book version which I read over and over again: I loved the story, the characters, the illustrations. So, I thought that after 50 years I should finally check out the film. I was sorely disappointed. The acting (Judy Garland, Robert Goulet, Red Buttons, Hermione Gingold, etc.) is excellent but although the orchestral background music is nice, the lyrics to the songs are embarrassingly banal. And while the drawings are fine, the animation is really poor. It reminds one of the static (limited animation) Hanna-Barbera technique. A story like this, with a star-studded cast, deserved much more than this. I think an interesting project would be to retain the soundtrack and the drawings, but bring the latter to life with modern animation techniques. One wants to experience the breadth and depth of Paris, the mystery of the felines crawling through sewers, down alleyways and over housetops, the thrill of a ship sailing rough seas to the Arctic. As it is now, it's all flat.
0 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this