General Hospital (TV Series 1963– ) Poster

(1963– )

45 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
general hospital
I am not one for soap operas, however, General Hospital is different. However dramatic this show gets, I can never get enough of it! It is actually kind of funny how I got started watching it. One time when I was little, my mom was mad at me as I wouldn't calm down or sit still so she made me sit down and read while she watched general hospital. I remember half watching over my book when the show ended, and for some reason, I cared about what happened to Jason, so I made a point to watch it the next day and I have never missed an episode since! This is by far the best show on TV and it comes highly recommended. Hope this helps, Fletcher
16 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
About General Hospital
Para8Dice20 August 2001
In 1980, Gloria Monty along with other General Hospital writers decided to make a couple out of two actors that had amazing chemistry. Genie Francis and Tony Geary who have become the phenomenal Luke and Laura. Luke and Laura made General Hospital the unforgettable soap opera it is, and still today, Luke and Laura's though painful relationship, keeps viewers going through their fascinating characterization and never ending passion between them.

Alan and Monica, played by Leslie Charleson and Stuart Damon, Frisco and Felicia, played by Jack and Kristina Wagner, Robert and Holly, played by Tristan Rogers and Emma Samms, Sonny and Brenda, played by Maurice Bernard and Vanessa Marcil, and Luke and Laura have showed every other soap opera the definition of a "love story". Though never simple, always intense, always unforgettable.

General Hospital has also shown amazing technique in storylines that are not love stories. Such as Monica Quartermaine's heartwrenching breast cancer storyline in 1994, or the amazing storyline of two little girls dying, yet only one miracle came out of it. I could only be talking about Bobbie Spencer's and Tony Jones's daughter BJ giving her heart to Frisco and Felicia's daughter Maxie, in the last moments to save her life. These stories touched many viewers and there are so many more.

Some of the most precious moments on daytime television have occurred on General Hospital, and the highest rated moment on daytime television was Luke and Laura's wedding in 1981. It was said to be the only wedding ever to rival Princess Diana's. General Hospital has created feelings, storylines, and characters that go beyond words. I thank Genie and Tony who play Luke and Laura for bringing out the fantasy we all have about how love should be. Though they are General Hospital's greatest achievement, I don't think General Hospital's done with them yet! And we know that Luke and Laura are not the only life changing storyline they've come up with! Thank you General Hospital!
19 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Butcher Jill Farren Phelps does it again!
Syl6 June 2005
After Santa Barbara, Guiding Light, Another World, and One Life to Live, the Soap Butcher Jill Farren Phelps has placed her friends in high position often ruining such high quality shows. When I was watching Guiding Light, it was at its peak in 1991. They fired the producer and replaced them with Butcher Phelps. She drove Beverlee McKinsey away by overworking her to death. She killed off beloved Ellen Parker's character Maureen. So Parker won an Emmy but the loss was much worse for the audience. On Another World, she killed off Alice Barrett Mitchell's beloved Mary Frances Frame Winthrop in a ridiculous storyline. On One Life to Live, I could only imagine what she did to that show which took years recover. Now she is ruining General Hospital by driving the great John Ingle away to Days Of Our Lives where he received a contract role. I feel sorry and sympathy for Jed Allan because he has a tough act to follow. The Quartermaines used to be the funnest family on television completely. She drove the great Dame Anna Lee away right before her death. Now Kristina Malandro Wagner refuses to return unless she gets a contract for playing Felicia Jones. Why aren't the veterans of this getting the short end of the stick? I bet Gloria Monty is livid over the show getting Best Drama Emmy under Phelps. I know Monty's heart was always in the right place with this show and her last time around wasn't successful as the Luke & Laura days but still, I know Butcher Phelps track record with soaps. Nobody in the real workplace would allow somebody whose cost so much damage to so many people. I am glad that Robin Strasser is speaking against Phelps' known favoritism for certain actors. I am going to single them out now on General Hospital because it would be unfair. But I know after 25 years of watching soaps, I could do a better job to satisfy both fans and the cast and crew. I am sorry but Phelps is just a Soap Opera Butcher to me. I know Guiding Light was great at the time but she made terrible decisions which cost fans. Now Guiding Light might be up for cancellation! the cast and crew took a pay cut to keep the show afloat. Remember Another World! Phelps was there before she jumped ship to One Life To Live. What goes on behind the scenes must be more fascinating than on screen. Guiding Light and Another World were creations of another daytime diva or queen Irna Phillips who would be turning over in her grave if she knew what this woman has done to her children.

Now Phelps is killing off Alan Quartermaine who has been played faithfully by Stuart Damon for 30 years. I'm concerned that she is going to lose one of the show's best attributes, the Quartermaine Family. She and the network practically drove Anna Lee out over a contract dispute. Even with John Ingle's welcome return, the shadow over the show is still different. I don't blame cast members like Leslie Charleson and others for being so vocal about Damon's departure. It's as shocking as it comes. This is what you get when you have somebody like Phelps at the helm.
25 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best Soap in the History of Soaps
Oz3722 May 2002
I'm so tired of people saying that General Hospital is just a stale old soap opera. GH has been a staple of ABC's daytime lineup for 39 years. It's 3rd in the ratings and I think that ain't half bad considering it's age. The Alexis, Sonny, Carly triangle is a masterpiece destined to go down in GH's extremly long history. The actors and actresses who portray the characters on the show are fantastic and so are the writers. I get very upset when people say that it's a stale soap. So when GH tries to do something exciting and fun people say that it is not true soap storytelling. Just like the revival of the Cassidines (Helena, Stavros). I thought that that was a great storyline. In closing I would just like to say that General Hospital is on the track to taking back the ratings crown from The Young and the Restless. Your the greatest GH!!!!
18 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best Soap Ever!
Rayvyn22 February 2006
When I was a kid in the 70s, I watched soaps with my mother. It was all the ABC ones. All My Children, One Life to Live and General Hospital. When I was about 12 or 13. Luke and Laura got married, I wanted to see it so bad, I told my mother I was sick and stayed home from school. Over the years I stopped watching the other two and stuck with GH. It's still the best soap I've ever seen. It's not as good as it used to be but it's good. I would love to see less Sonny and Carly and more Luke and (whoever). When Luke was the hero, the show as truly great. Since now it's all about Sonny, it's getting really boring. The same old mobster stuff, Sonny isn't heroic he's a crook.

Maybe in the future GH will regain it's backbone. Maybe draw clear lines between good and evil like it did in it's hey day.

Rayvyn
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great soap opera
Kellyann-122 May 2002
General Hospital is a long running soap opera that had wonderful leadership with Gloria Monty and Wendy Riche and amazing writers like Claire Labine. Also great performances by John Beradino,Rachel Ames, Tony Geary,Genie Francis,Tristan Rogers,Finola Hughes,Kimberly Mccullough,Vanessa Marcil,Alicia Leigh Willis and Billy Warlock.

Tristan Rogers and Finola Hughes were incredible as Robert and Anna in the 80s and 90s where GH was filled with action,adventure and romance.

The highlight of the 1990s included storylines of the family. BJ Jones's death, Monica Quartermaine fighting breast cancer, Stone and Robin's love story and their AIDS storyline. Plus the amazing chemistry and connection that made Sonny&Brenda soulmates.

GH hit a rough patch in 2000-2001 with many backstage changes but it is improving in 2002. One of the most promising current storylines is the AJ Quartermaine and Courtney Matthews relationship. Billy Warlock and Alicia Leigh Willis have phenomenal chemistry that makes watching in 2002 a must.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This USED to be a GREAT show. Now...?
Smoothpants18 June 2003
General Hospital used to be a great show. Back in the late-70's and early 80's..it was THE SOAP to watch.

In the early 90's, when Claire and Matthew Labine took over head writing duties, General Hospital spotlighted so many fantastic, heartwrenching, and honest stories. I mean, what fan of this show will EVER forget Stone and Robin's love story. Stone, dying of AIDS-blind due to it...takes his last glimpse of his love, Robin by a window and hapilly says "I can see you"...then passes away. Or will the forget the Breast Cancer storyline, when Monica cuts her bandages off to see that she has no breast, and she just begins to cry uncontrollably. Or, the revolutionary and GUTSY storyline when young Maxie is dying from a heart condition, and is need of a transplant. At the same time...her cousin Barbara Jean (B.J.) is rendered brain dead in a school bus accident. Tony and Bobbie decide to donate her organs. Meanwhile Felicia (Maxie's mom), gets the news that a donor heart has been found. So she goes to Bobbie happy that they have found a heart for her daughter. Her happiness turns to horror when she finds Bobbie crying. Instantly, Felicia knows...

"Noooo. Not Barbara Jean. Not Barbara Jean's heart."

And she collapses to the floor, crying. I cry now as I think about it, and this was ten years ago. And then the scene where Tony hovers over Maxie, as she recovers from the transplant. And he leans down and places his ear over her chest to hear the beating heart that belonged to his deceased daughter. Oh man...

This was OUTSTANDING TELEVISION!

Sadly, GH has regressed so much under the watch of Bob Guza, Jr. I don't care what anyone says....it's BLASPHEMY to put a Spencer with a Cassadine!!! To me...this show is long gone. With the loss of some of my favorite actors (Johnathan Jackson, Amber Tamblyn, Kimberly McCullough, Sarah Brown), and some truly horiffic writing, storylines and pairings....I can never watch this show with the same enthusiasm as I did ten and twenty years ago. For me though...there are few saving graces for this show. The Quartermaines': John Ingle...whom not only has filled the shoes of David Lewis' "Edward Quartermaine" character...but has greatly improved on the original (and this is saying A LOT, as David Lewis was FANTASTIC as Edward), Leslie Charleson, Stuart Damon, Anna Lee, Jane Eliot (always a good watch when she returns from time to time), and Robin Christopher (GREAT). Maurice Benard as "Sonny" still delivers the goods. And of course, Tony Geary as "Luke Spenser". I just wish the material was better. Sadly, unless the Labines come back, or someone can be the second coming of Gloria Monty...I'll just be a viewer on occasion.
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Really hit stride with Luke and Laura!
ShelbyTMItchell25 February 2013
The show has really hit a stride when it had Luke and Laura saga and how thirty million for a TV audience in the daytime at the time watch their wedding. As it was a big thing. This was also the year where Diana and Charles married along the way. Couples like them, Frisco and Felicia in the past to Dante and Lulu in the present. Make the soap as the super couples. Be why the soap has been popular.

Also the hospital thing known as scrubs as the daily scoop of the inner workings of the hospital. Hence the title! In upper NY! Like doctors, nurses, cops etc.

Set the star thing for future superstars like Demi Moore, Rick Springfield, John Stamos among them. A treasure!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
General Hospital Was My Favorite Soap Opera!
BuffSpike15 November 2005
I don't watch soap opera shows any more because I just don't have the time to watch a show that you have to watch every day but when I did watch soap operas, I watched General Hospital which I started watching when I was in high school when a class mate told me about the show and got me interested. I started watching General Hospital sometime in the 1980's shortly after Luke and Laura got married and I watched it on and off again for several years and though I don't really watch it anymore I still keep up on what is going on by reading about it in the soap opera guide in the newspaper. The only other soap operas I also sometimes liked watching were, One Life To Live, All My Children, and Santa Barbara but I much preferred General Hospital and only watched those other soaps for a short while.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this