IMDb > Tickle Me (1965) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Tickle Me

Tickle Me More at IMDbPro »

Hey, it's Elvis and it's in color! Were you expecting "West Side Story"?

Author: lonniebeale from Memphis, TN
23 August 2005

A very funny film. The soundtrack was composed of old songs from earlier Elvis LPs (to keep the film's budget at a minimum). Elvis looks great and Jocelyn Lane looks incredible. In my opinion (along with many others), Jocelyn was the prettiest costar Elvis ever had. Julie Adams is very attractive as the "older" woman. Practically all of the women in the film are hot (and there are loads of groovy gals). In fact--although not intending to be--"Tickle Me" remains one of the best children's pictures ever. I certainly couldn't get enough of it when it played at the local theater when I was in grade school. I went back to see it again five times! What can I say? Puberty calling!

I like it very much. No wonder it saved Allied Artists in the 60s.

Author: ptrain8 from USA
18 March 2005

Funny! This is one of my Elvis favorites! Yes, there is nothing serious here but good fun entertainment. Elvis in some really great candid shots and a spooky ghost town. Elvis in the rodeo. I really like this one and hope to see it on DVD. In fact, why isn't the entire Elvis movie collection on DVD??? When I think of all the trash movies that are being sold, why not some good, clean Elvis fun and some great music, too? I have been watching the Elvis movies since I was 6 years old. I love these old fun movies. I have the entire collection on VHS and have bought all that are available on DVD. These films take me right back to my youth. Pop some corn, pour a Pepsi, sit back and relax and recall the good IL' days when Elvis was showing off on the big silver screen.

The Most Memorable of His Films-you know-the One with "Jocelyn Lane"

Author: aimless-46 from Kentucky
31 March 2005

Although the Elvis formula films were pretty much the same when they were released, two factors made some significantly more appealing and memorable than others; the actress playing his love interest and the songs that were incorporated into the production.

A third variable, more important 40 years later, is how well each film has held up. Generally the less exotic the setting and the further Elvis is from an ocean, the better they have aged. In this regard "Tickle Me" benefits from its desert ranch and western Ghost Town sets-nothing elaborate and the only water is a rain storm.

And while the song selection in "Tickle Me" is nothing to get excited about, the leading lady is spectacular. Whenever Elvis movies come up in conversation you will find someone asking which one showcased Jocelyn Lane as an exercise instructor, then they get this far away look in their eyes and a dreamy expression on their face.

Lane makes "Tickle Me" the most memorable of the Elvis films for male viewers. I would rank it second, edged out slightly by "Viva Las Vegas" which not only has Ann Margret but a great song selection.

Things aren't the same on the ranch.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
25 June 2003

Elvis Presley plays a singing rodeo cowboy waiting for the rodeo season to open and takes a job at a dude ranch/health spa for models and well-to-do women. The adorable Jocelyn Lane plays the cowboy/handyman's love interest. The ranch manager(Julie Adams) also has eyes for the singing distraction. Hidden treasure in a ghost town causes mild suspense and some slapstick comedy. In order to save money for the production company no new songs were recorded for the movie. Some tunes are almost five years old. The better ditties include:"Night Rider", "Dirty, Dirty Feeling", "Slowly But Surely" and "Easy Question". Some of the background sets are super cheap; the plot kind of flimsy; but the magic between Presley and Lane sizzles and smolders. I think that and the music are worth the price of admission. Also in the cast are: Jack Mullaney, Edward Faulkner and Barbara Werle.

Somebody's trying to scare the sideburns off Elvis!

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
26 September 2005

Elvis Presley plays the Panhandle Kid, working at an all-female dude ranch. Doing what? Well, he pitches hay, checks out the gamms on the girls while they're exercising, struggles with his female boss (who can't keep her hands off him), and of course sings. But, in an outrageous but silly/enjoyable plot twist, it turns out one of the young ladies is involved with villains who are after her hidden treasure. All this leads E.P. to a ghost town, where the bad guys are all dressed as ghouls! A brainless hoedown, but Jocelyn Lane is a very sexy cowgirl and some of Presley's songs aren't too bad. Elvis' self-conscious swagger is always good for a few chuckles and the haunted house finale is something new (at least for a Presley picture). **1/2 from ****

thoroughly entertaining

Author: (racat58) from adel. aust.
18 August 2000

elvis physically at his peak in the 1960's. great music, better than the average movie sound track due to all the songs previously released from early studio sessions, with joycelyn lane one of the prettiest leading ladies to appear in an elvis movie.

Thin Elvis programmer has inexplicable appeal

Author: pooch-8 from Fargo, North Dakota
4 August 1999

In Tickle Me (easily one of the great titles of Elvis' illustrious screen career), the King plays -- brace yourself -- a singing rodeo cowboy with a lucrative second job as a handyman at a beauty spa. Naturally, all of the women at the ranch compete for E's attentions, but he's only got eyes for the stunning Jocelyn Lane. The second half of the film gets supremely silly, as the lovers search for a hidden treasure of gold in a haunted house. The horrifyingly awful gags that accompany the climactic sequence belong in a Scooby Doo episode, but are more accurately akin to the Three Stooges -- since writers Elwood Ullman and Edward Bernds had put in time for the eye-gouging, hair-pulling, face-slapping nitwits. Tickle Me has a weird appeal to me, however, as it allows Elvis the opportunity to show off his talent for comedy (an under-appreciated aspect of his acting for which he shows remarkable aptitude).

8 weeks in a 2500 seater!!

Author: ptb-8 from Australia
22 December 2004

More astonishing than the script for the final 2 reels in the haunted house part of TICKLE ME is the real life fright (to us 40 years later) is the phenomenal success of this Allied Artists film. In Sydney alone TICKLE ME opened at the massive, gorgeous treasure chest State Theatre and filled all 2500 seats for an unprecedented run of 8 weeks. Built in 1929 as a luxury outlet and famed for its Astaire Rogers runs in the 30s, and the Sinatra runs of the 50s, nothing but nothing topped Elvis there in 1965. Even when his films played other major luxury palaces in Sydney before and after TICKLE ME was the winner. As flabbergasted as I am to realize that success was repeated in city after city in every country it played, NOW I realize how well this film saved Allied Artists. This was their last production until 1969. They concentrated on releasing Euro dramas like A MAN AND A WOMAN and in the 70s were responsible for CABARET and PAPILLON. If the rentals in 1965 in the US alone were $3m then you can double that from the rest of the international ticket sales: $6m from a $1.4m investment. They weren't Monogram Pictures once for nothing, were they!

Underrated Elvis Flick

Author: mwmtampa from tampa, florida
1 September 2003

While not receiving the same fanfare as some of Elvis' more renowned movies including Viva Las Vegas or Fun in Acapulco, this film is really very underrated and underscores the essence of Elvis flicks. Perhaps because Elvis is not cavorting with a well known star, such as Ann Margaret or Ursula Andress as in the aforementioned vehicles, this picture tends to always get underplayed. Most memorable is the ravishing English star, Ms. Jocelyn Lane, who absolutely lights up the scenery whenever she is around - what a stunner!

Only Let Down By The Music...

Author: morpheusatloppers from Thailand
10 December 2008

I approach this as a guy who's long in the tooth and hasn't SEEN this film since '65. At the time (I was only 12) I was unaware that all the songs were from an album Elvis cut FIVE YEARS EARLIER. Some years later, upon obtaining said album, I discovered this fact. Today, after reading other comments in this strain, I've discovered WHY.

But even back then, I knew SOMETHING was askew. The songs sounded SO out of date (which may explain why, when Elvis movies constantly appear on MGM and TCM, "Tickle Me" is NEVER among them).

But that fact didn't dim my utter ENJOYMENT of this classic. Despite its miserable budget, its stage-bound production - and no new songs - "Tickle Me" was a TRIUMPH. "Viva Las Vegas" has pizazz - and "Follow That Dream" came from a good book and stands as Elvis' best drama - but "Tickle Me" certainly tickled ME.

Although he had a good "funny side-kick", Elvis showed what great comic timing he himself had. If ONLY he'd had other opportunities to display them.

And I even recall that - under-produced though they were - the ghost-town sequences had genuine creepiness.

So altogether, I have to say that if I were sent to that Desert Island with a choice of just one Elvis movie - after considering "Viva Las Vegas" and "Follow That Dream" - "Tickle Me" would be the one!