IMDb > The Slime People (1963) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

In A Class All Its Own

Author: ehman1 from United States
13 April 2005

This yet another film I saw as a teenager in the 1960's that brings back many fond memories of my youth. I would have to agree that for all its awfulness "The Slime People" as one reviewer states, does have its charm. The excessive use of fog provides the movie with a unique atmosphere giving it just enough of an edge to make the film interesting and at times even a little scary. Every now and then one of the Slime People would sneak out of the fog and really creep us out. In some places the film is funny to the point of being ridiculous, still I think the story and the science behind it is plausible and it does have its serious moments. I have seen movies that were far worse than this one. If you love the films of this genre, just out of curiosity you should give it a look. The Slime People is very hard to find on TV, Satellite or Cable. I bought my VHS copy new a few years back. Even with the current digital re-mastering to DVD, this film will never be easy to watch.……..must be that all that fog…………….

Pretty awful, but still kind of fun

Author: Hessian499 from Pittsburgh, PA
14 April 2002

Far from being a cinema classic, or even a classic of low-budget films, The Slime People still has a kind of charm that makes you want to stay with it until the end. Cheap sets and costumes, and pretty bad acting, make this one mostly forgettable, though the plot really isn't too bad. With a bigger budget and some better actors this might have been come off as a classic. Worth watching on a rainy Sunday afternoon if nothing else is on.

Only for the hard core.

Author: Pike-6 from Springfield, VA
22 February 1999

The Slime People would only appeal to the hard core lover of early science fiction movies. The over extensive use of the fog machine makes it difficult to see some of the scenes clearly enough to follow the action. The traditional wholesome characters (50's style, men at table discussing important things, woman putting away the dishes) engaging in supposedly serious discussions/explanations of the Slime folks "wall of fog" is just plain funny. But when all is said and done the movie did entertain me, but certainly not for everyone. Hats off to the actress stuck playing Bonnie, the dumb blonde teenager.

Bring The Excedrin!!!

Author: ferbs54 from United States
14 December 2007

No, this is not the story of a bunch of McDonald's fry cooks. Nor is it the biography of my ex-bosses at a certain midtown NY ad agency. What "The Slime People" turns out to be is an extremely shoddily put together film depicting what happens when a race of lumbering, bipedal reptilians attacks L.A. from underground and erects a dome of fog around it. The "director," '40s star Robert Hutton, is also the action lead here, looking for all the world like a dressed-down Dan Hicks. His thesping is passable, but the small band that he falls in with emotes terribly...especially the two women. I don't think I've EVER seen worse acting. This film, although it lasts a mere 65 minutes, is guaranteed to induce a headache, (a) because the sound quality of this Rhino DVD is so lousy, and (b) because most of the film takes place in a dark, misty fog. Nothing seems to make any sense; the characters' actions and what they say all leave the viewer shaking his/her head in bafflement. Other than the admittedly cool-looking monsters (which, to the film's credit, we DO get to see in the opening seconds), the FX are god-awful. The machine that the Slime People are using to erect that impenetrable fog dome looks just like a wiggly Hefty garbage bag, and is as easily disposed of! All in all, "The Slime People" gives "Robot Monster" some competition as one of the worst films of all time. Don't miss it?

Entertaining low budget science fiction movie is good fun

Author: mlraymond from Durham NC
19 January 2007

This is certainly no classic, or even a good movie. But there's something engaging about the little band of survivors, determined to halt the Slime People in their plot to take over Los Angeles. The lovable professor is played by Robert Burton, who had appeared four years earlier in the Swedish'American film Terror in the Midnight Sun, in a similar role. Future AIP starlet Susan Hart plays one of the professor's daughters, and reliable character actor Les Tremayne has an odd role as a hermit/author, who has a goat for his best friend.

The Slime People themselves look pretty good for B movie monsters, and the fog created by the monsters is a very effective way of adding a sense of mystery to the every day settings.

The movie reminds me of Night of the Living Dead in some ways, without the gruesome scenes and overwhelming terror. In both films, a small group of randomly assorted people take shelter in a building ,to evade a horde of monstrous creatures, and improvise whatever means they can to fight back. A resourceful man becomes the leader, with some opposition from the others, but generally managing to unite against the monsters. The heroes of this movie however, are successful in defeating the creatures, and are brave and unselfish, where the people in Night of the Living Dead can barely tolerate each other, and do not survive, let alone emerge triumphant.

The movie has plenty of unintentionally funny moments, but is able to muster some genuine suspense and excitement anyway. It's really not that bad, considering the obviously low budget and amateur nature of the production.

The Subterranean Slimers

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
14 June 2008

The salt water cousins of the Creature from the Black Lagoon have come up in big numbers out of the sewers of Los Angeles and have set up shop. The human race has retreated out of the city as the Slime People have taken over and probably now have plans to acquire new turf.

To protect they're new neighborhood, The Slime People have lowered the mean temperature of Los Angeles to make it cooler for their needs. And of course they've enveloped the big Orange with a thick fog which only Robert Hutton flying a small private plane manages to penetrate. When he arrives he fines LA almost deserted.

Along the way he picks up scientist Robert Burton and his two lovely curvaceous daughters Susan Hart and Judee Morton, a stranded young Marine William Boyce and crazy eccentric writer Les Tremayne. It's up to these intrepid six to defeat The Slime People.

It's really only five of them because Tremayne's quite drunk, quite iconoclastic and quite useless. Tremayne, possessor of a fabulous voice that was his fortune as a radio actor, knows what an absolute turkey he's in and just overacts outrageously. Good thing his scenes were mostly outdoor because he'd be accused of digesting the entire set.

The slime people when you can see them through the fog look a whole lot like the Silurian monsters from the Doctor Who show who made their debut in the Jon Pertwee years. The fog which is a great gimmick for noir films also covers up a lot of the cheapness of production. In fact other than the monster costumes, I'm not sure what special expenses were entailed in making The Slime People. The film looks like it was shot with a Kodak Brownie camera.

You have to wonder when folks like Robert Hutton, Robert Burton and Les Tremayne do something like this, wasn't their anything else better out there. And if this was the best they were offered, YOIKES.

"Take My Slime People, Please"

Author: BaronBl00d (baronbl00d@aol.com) from NC
13 April 2001

Los Angelos is enclosed by a wall of fog created by inhabitants from in the inner depths of the Earth, whereby they kill all the people they can find(for no known reason) and so that they can control the temperatures. These creatures are labeled "Slime People" because they are coated with slime. The rest of the scientific mumbo jumbo used to explain the intricacies of the plot are just as lacking in logic and creativity. The creatures look like something from The Golem but only with pointed heads. This film is cheap...no make that with capital letters...CHEAP! Much of the film is so foggy that you don't really see anything and the parts that are clear you wish someone on the production crew would have revved up the fog machines to cover up this lame, limp, lacking script and the abominable acting. None of the sets look impressive, in fact, I have seen more time and money lavished on school productions than this film! Robert Hutton plays the lead(and director for his one big time chance) and he is awful...and the best the film has to offer in the line of thespians. The young man playing Cal the Marine(William Boyce) actually made my skin crawl every time he opened his mouth. He is that bad. Despite all of these problems( and the many I just didn't feel like adding), this film has a certain charm and is at least a fun bad movie to watch.

Stenchy stinker slimes viewer with bottom-feeding bunk!

Author: dvox from Keene, New Hampshire USA
16 May 1999

Suck on your Slippery Elm Throat Lozenges, slop syrup on your snack of strawberry shortcake, and prepare to be stuck to your sofa in shock as this slimy celluloid silliness slides onto the tv screen! Robert Hutton battles the bubblegum beasts bursting from the bowels of L.A., but neither he nor bubblebrained blonde Judee Morton (the only other actual acting talent) can beat the grad "B" badness of this boring box-office bilge! Still, some of the nonsensical newscasts are a hoot and a holler! "Stick" to a lot of booze if you choose to watch this ooze!

Cateracts

Author: sukoshiryu from Appleton, Wisconsin
8 May 2003

Well this is my first review. My grandmother tried to explain cateracts one time to me. I never really understood until the fog scenes in this movie. Slime creatures mysteriously appear and create a wall of fog which no one can get through. five people are trapped but manage to get out. The fog is so dense in this movie you literally can't see what's going on. The acting was quite bad but funny to watch, accept from the marine.......I kept rooting for the slime men and they couldn't finish the kid off. But all's well that ends well as always in old sci-fi movies. People figure out how to break through the wall and manage to kill a few slime people along the way and save the day as always. It's not really the worst thing I've ever seen and really not bad if you like old school scifi like I do.

Some reviewers don't remember "Drive-In" movies, I do.

Author: oscar-35 from working in Movieland
5 December 2007

This was the 'cream of the crop' 50's-60's drive-in movies. B-movies like this one were meant to be the second feature film in feature film showing then; when TWO films were shown, unlike today. You were shown an A-film and a B-film. In the drive-ins, they often showed only B-films when "A's". That is why there was so many 50 7 60's B-films around then. Not every film was meant to win awards, just make back their production money profit. I love this film for several reasons. I love the design of the slime men. That costume was very imaginative and different, even from the other radiation monsters of the time. I love the premise of the film being in LA, real LA. For years, LA had a bad reputation for extremely bad air with smog. The slime people 'fog' idea was a nice touch. There were many real recognizable radio and TV announcers in this film. I think that was because of the star and this film's directors major LA radio/TV connections. Seeing KTLA studios in the 60's was a treat since that station was the originator and workhorse of very early LA television broadcasts. The marine character was right out of the 'Elvis' acting book. The worst part of the film was that the film fog effect along with under exposing the film made most of the fog scenes extremely hard to see the action. Most of the climactic fight and drama scenes were too obscured to fully enjoy, a shame. I was not aware of any nuclear testing going on around or under LA during the 50's. (There was only one nuclear facility for testing rocket engines 65 miles outside LA in the Chatsworth mountains on the Ventura county line, 'Rocketdyne'.) Seeing films made and exhibited like this one gives me hope that todays filmmakers can make EVEN better films with all their technology and money at hand. From the film box: Millions flee as armies of deadly subterranean monsters invade the metropolis and surround it with an impenetrable wall of killer fog. Trapped within the evacuated city, a scientist and his two shapely daughters lead the desperate struggle to save the human race from the terrifying creatures spawned in the bowels of the Earth.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]