IMDb > The Legend of Lobo (1962) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Legend of Lobo

The Legend of Lobo More at IMDbPro »

A unique way of telling a story

Author: Figaro-8 (greyfigaro@hotmail.com) from Columbia, SC
18 April 2000

Ernest Thompson Seton's story has been brought to the screen in a remarkable and unique way. There is no dialogue in the whole movie. The story is told through narration by Rex Allen (who had the perfect voice for this sort of thing) and music performed by the Sons of the Pioneers. (The title song, which reappears throughout the film, was written by the Sherman Brothers.) Oliver Wallace provides a nice music score and the outdoor photography by Jack Couffer and Lloyd Beebe is beautiful. All of these elements combine to form a very entertaining film. May the legend live on.

A real classic!

Author: Meaghan Edwards from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
6 September 2004

Being the big fan of wolves that I am, finding a copy of "Legend of Lobo" on VHS a few years back at the local Musicworld was a real treat for me.

This movie is one of my all-time favorites; I just cannot give it enough praise. For once, the wolves are portrayed the way they should be. They are neither sugarcoated nor villified, but rather are shown to be both a efficient predator and a devoted parent in times of encroaching human settlement. The scenery is excellent, as is the storyline which is not too complicated for young ones to follow. I love the theme song catchy and the characters are believable.

About the only thing I can say negative about this movie is the extensive use of canned sounds, especially for the wolves, but this really does not detract from the rest of the film. Legend of Lobo is a beautifully made movie that I would recommend to anyone!

Writer's Son-in-Law

Author: Derek Crawford from United States
27 September 2010

I'm a little biased; the writer (Dwight Hauser) is my wife's father. We were looking for a copy and came across this site. It was fun for me to watch Marcia (my wife) watch the movie. And as with many thousands of other old folks, I remember it from my own childhood.

I wonder if Lobo's mother was really injured. It certainly looked like it. I asked Marcia, but she didn't know. It seems doubtful Disney would have gone about it that way. Kinda heart wrenching, but an accurate reflection of the disdain held for wolves in those days...heck...even these days by a remaining few.

This is a great find! We are passing it out to all the grandkids...:-)

Derek