IMDb > Lawrence of Arabia (1962) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Lawrence of Arabia

Lawrence of Arabia More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 56: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Quite simply, one of the great ones.

Author: twotreesgprice from Phoenix, Arizona
6 April 2002

It is one thing to admonish this film as dull if you've seen it with even the most sophisticated video setup ever known. What a surprise will be in store for you if you seize the opportunity to see this in it's true arena; on the screen in 70mm. To see in on DVD or video will make you appreciate it. To see where it must be seen, watching on the big screen in the large film format, will leave you beholden. It is truly one of the great experiences of film.

Beautiful Direction

Author: caspian1978 from Boston, MA
15 April 2001

Overall, Laurence of Arabia is just that. A beautiful directed film. From its long shots of the deserts to the dramatic close ups of Peter O'Toole, the film is beauty. Winner of the Best Picture for its year, Laurence of Arabia is a winner of taste and enlightenment. All you have to do is shut up and gaze at its wonder of a film. The scenes speak for themselves. Why would you need dialogue.

Another 2 cents

Author: zxz9999
27 January 2001

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. In my opinion one of the best ever. It is an epic of one man's struggle to make a name for himself. His incredible desire allows him to overcome the impossible. The photography and cinematography in this movie is some of the greatest of all time.

I read many of comments posted about how people didn't like it. I think a good measuring stick on if you would like this movie or not would be "A Thin Red Line". If you liked that movie, you will love this movie. If you thought that movie was long and boring, you'll most likely think the same about this movie.

Surely one of the best films that exist...

Author: ~PL~
5 May 2000

Lawrence of Arabia was surely one of the best films that exist and one of the best I've seen. It is pretty long, but you can't fall asleep watching this. It looks like Braveheart in many ways and it's even better. The acting of Peter O'Toole was unbelievable and the other actors did an excellent job too. The backgrounds looked good and there were so much good messages and influences in this film. It is considered as an important film in the history of movies...and it is!!! The whole thing is simply stunning, brilliant!!! I think everybody should spend a couple of hours of his life to watch it. If you liked Braveheart, The Ten Commandments, it is for you.

Most people who have a real interest in films have watched it, but if you want to introduce yourself to great cinema, maybe you should start with this...or with the AWESOME The Shining. Watch Lawrence of Arabia ...AWESOME FILM! I give it 95%.

Still a film of substantial impact

Author: allyjack from toronto
10 September 1999

The film's cumulative impact is substantial. Sometimes it still feels extremely modern - like the famous cut from the match to the red sky, or in the detailed study of Lawrence's psychological disintegration, or just in the vivid depiction of the moments of darkness and brooding at the heart of his grand achievement. Then at other times it tends to descend into men talking in rooms or to the over-mannered portrayals of the likes of Guinness, although the theme of the young impetuous leader contrasted with the weighty cynical calculations of the true ruling class is powerful. O'Toole provides a subtle, bravura picture of Lawrence as a man tormented by his own desire for achievement and grandstanding, yet barely able to bear his weaknesses and fears and also increasingly haunted by very real and dark demons. The movie is of course a visual splendor and a great feat of coordination and assembly - every scene is constructed like a paining or a great tableau, sometimes other-worldly ghostly or strange, sometimes sheerly magnificent, always attuned to the grand contrast between the messy culture of the Arabs and the clipped, calculating British - a line that Lean himself walked quite eloquently and fluidly in this film. It sometimes strikes me as lying too much on the side of hero-worship, but no matter.

Words fail.

Author: fiannor from Texas gulf coast
3 September 1999

What could I say about Lawrence of Arabia, (my favorite movie of all time). Explanations would pale, compared to the affect the movie has. Go rent it, and watch what I cannot speak of, without doing a great injustice.

fi

Lawrence

Author: pwc from California, US
2 June 1999

The first time I saw Lawrence of Arabia was in 1963 and I wanted not to like it, since Peter O'Toole had been so vaunted as the shoe-in Oscar winner for that year and I wanted Burt Lancaster to win for Birdman of Alcatraz. I came away from that movie very much impressed by its physical beauty but even more captivated by Lawrence himself. With all the grandeur of the scenes, for me the story of a man so complicated and full of mystery was what I took away from it driving home from the theater. I went right to my local library to get T.E. Lawrence's "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" and even read most of its thousand-plus pages. For me, amidst the spectacle and sweep of the movie, the idea of this conflicted man who thought he was godlike and was humbled, not only by his physical nature but also by his ability to betray that which he thought he loved, made Lawrence of Arabia unique. I'd never seen an epic movie quite like that before or since ... and it also made me become a Peter O'Toole fan forever! I saw "Lawrence" one other time in big-screen and probably about ten more times on tv, and I never tire of it. It deserves its reputation as a classic portrayal of the mystery of personality amidst the chaos and hypocrisy of a "great war."

A cinematography triumph

Author: Martin Salt from Derby, England
27 May 1999

In terms of direction, acting and cinematography, this has got to be one of the finest films ever made. From its desert sweeping camera shots, this is a very detailed and well thought out biography of Colonel T.E. Lawrence, who in his 3 years in Arabia during the First World War, succeeded in uniting the Arab Tribes against the Turks. The cast is that one of the finest ever assembled for the film. Peter O'Toole is well cast as Lawrence, Omar Sharif is a great Sheriff Ali, and I.S. Johar plays a wonderfully human Gasim. Winner of seven academy awards, this is a film that everyone should see.

The Epic Cinema at age 10

Author: ZEKE-18 from Royal Oak, Michigan USA
20 March 1999

My first large screen experience was Lawrence of Arabia. At the age of 10 in the largest cinema in Detroit I sat in awe as the opening motorcycle scene left this young man dead. This I could understand and relate to. The desert, the Arab culture and the prejudice of the English I could understand. The politics eluded me, but the majesty and the splendor of the presentation had me hooked! Many more cinematic escapades I pursued: when they re-vitalized (restoral it wasn't) Gone with the Wind and brought it out in 70mm for the first time, the first cinerama I saw was How the West was Won and then 2001. But when they restored Lawrence, I went back and I understood it all. The same goosebumps and cinema thrills of a 10 year old with the experience of adulthood brought the struggle and the commitment of Lawrence and his Arab bretheren to the forefront. This was a documentary, perhaps innaccurate, but It in essence is a true story of an English gentleman giving up a life of luxury to free "his" people. The dramatic license is used judiciously, with flair, and in the seductive setting that helped form the man, so be it. In all the purpose of film is to escape and find yourself involved and intrigued. Enjoyment is the name of the film game. With the memories of childhood and the wisdom of age, the Lawrence epic is one of the greatest movies on record, worthy of a top ten. I own many a disc, in Laser and now DVD, my first purchase was Lawrence.

even better than the real thing

Author: Bram-5 from Halifax, Nova Scotia
14 February 1999

This is one of the longest and best of the 60s epic movies. Watching this, you are carried away to the scorching desert while you sit sipping a cool drink. The scenes you will never forget: Lawrence in his white robes, twirling around on the sand; Omar Sharif approaching a lonely well from a great distance; men swathed in dark robes crossing the Devil's Anvil. T.E. Lawrence was a nut, for sure, but we have always respected our military nuts, eh?