IMDb > "The Jetsons" (1962) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Jetsons"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Jetsons" More at IMDbPro »

A look backward at the future-

Author: Jordan_Haelend from The Imperial Earth State
25 December 2003

This show is pretty funny. One of the more amusing things about it is the venue- the World of the Future. Anyone who remembers (or has since studied) the future as it was imagined in 1962 will find a load of images here that will be familiar: personal service robots, flying cars, the push-button, fully automated workplace, the self cleaning house, automatic food dispensers, the works. And of course, highly-prominent were the star-fields of space, the "last frontier."

This is the sort of stuff that was touted as being in our future at the Seattle World's Fair in 1962, the "Century 21" Exposition.

As to the cartoon itself, it was amusing how the characters found themselves interacting with the technology of their time- the daughter blabbering on the phone, the son off pursuing his projects or grumbling about school, mom finding that the food dispenser requires a refill, dad returning from work moaning about how exhausted he is from a long hard day of pushing buttons, the bullying boss, and so on.

In 1962, "Cen.21" touted the future as being, if not perfect, then at least far more congenial than the (then) present. The cartoon stated that this would not necessarily be so- and our own world of the 21st century has proven that the latter was more right than wrong, sociologically speaking at least.

A show ready for bringing back

Author: Jenna Altringham (hayden-panettiere-ukfan) from Essex
3 April 2005

I first discovered The Jetsons when I was 7, and remember how much I loved it then, how funny I thought it was, and how clever all the gadgets were. Then, rediscovering it 10 years later, late night on a cartoons channel has brought about the same things as it had done before - laughter. This says to me that the show is hilarious for any age. Younger children can feel with Elroy's trials of school, and teenage girls can laugh and cry with Judy's boy troubles.

I think the scripts were wrote brilliantly, and had a brilliant cast to voice the lines. I'd love to see The Jetsons brought back, because I think that even now - it'd be a big hit.

Classic Hanna-Barbera from the golden age of the early 60's

Author: raysond from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
12 April 2002

If you wanted to know what the future would be like,The Jetsons was the show to watch. From its opening sequence where George,Jane,Judy,and Elroy and Astro fly to their sky high apartment in their family car(spaceship), and other parts was the highlight of the show. In my honest opinions about the show,I never did like the ones they did from the late 1980's,but it was the earlier episodes that were the ones to tuned in for(the original 24 episodes from 1962-1963 which ran on ABC-TV,and its repeats continued into syndication). This was on the same format as another Hanna-Barbera format,The Flintstones,but this was a show that features all of the gadgets that were used in the future and so much more. The original ones were a lot more funnier too,including several episodes that I would highly recommend for viewing from the 62-63 season,and these were classic gems of animation.....................

1. The premiere episode,where George gets very nervous about bringing over his boss for dinner(Mr. Spacely),and it ends with hilarious results.

2. The Jet-Screamer episode,where Judy goes out on a date with her singing idol,and George tries to brake it up,ending up uninvited at teen club.

3. The Las Vegas(Space Vegas)episode,where George and Jane leave the kids behind at home,and then head to Vegas and that's when Jane catches George flirting with another woman,in which the woman turns out to be the head of huge cosmetics company in which Mr. Spacely gets George to get a contract sign for his job. My personal favorite.

4. The episode where Elroy runs away from home after George and Jane find out that he and another classmate switch report card tapes,and from there Elroy tangles up(along with Astro the dog)with some dangerous space criminals and its up to George to save Elroy and the family from great danger.

5. The Ultiblah episode(hilarious as it gets!) in which a troublesome robot gets Mr. Spacely,George,and Henry the maintanance man in trouble with the Army,and its up to George and Henry to bale themselves and George's boss out.......

*Catch the episodes on Boomerang and Cartoon Network!

Not as good as the Flintstones, but still a very good cartoon nonetheless

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
13 May 2010

The reason why I love the Flintstones so much is because it is funny, it is smart and it has an irresistibly catchy theme tune. The Jetsons is not as funny and smart, but it is still very good. It has great animation, good music, original and interesting ideas in terms of episodes and concept(the misadventures of a futuristic family, love the idea) and the characters especially George, Elroy and Judy(the latter of the two teenagers can relate to though Astro was my personal favourite, and it is always entertaining to see how George speaks and acts to his wife and boss) are likable. It is a shame though The Jetsons were so short-lived, when it ended I was like "that doesn't feel right. Why didn't it last longer and have a proper send-off?" Also I felt it lacked a Barney sort of character, someone for George to properly share his problems without him feeling like someone's on his back constantly. Overall though, The Jetsons is very good. 8/10 Bethany Cox

Vulcan Mind Meld - The Past (1962) and the Future (2262) in One

Author: djdavig from United States
1 June 2004

I bought the new Jetsons original series DVD set for a friend's kid and ended up watching it with her and was blown away. I used to watch re-runs as a kid and had forgotten how much I used to love them. It's a very high quality cartoon series that put me in sort of Vulcan mind meld with the past and the future all at the same time. That is because when you watch it you are seeing a 1962 version of the 23rd century (or so). It is fascinating to see this in action. The wife stays home and goes shopping while the husband goes off to the exploitive factory to work for a demeaning boss. I really enjoyed looking at all of the gadgets they had and seeing which ones came true in the future, like flat screen TVs and wristwatch phones everywhere, and which ones never did. Maybe some of the creators ideas are right around the corner! The funny thing was my friend's daughter enjoyed it as much as I did because of the funny story lines. I can highly recommend the new DVD set with all 24 episodes from 1962. There are commentaries from some of the characters and other added features that made this a great buy.

Here's George Jetson, his boy Elroy, Jane his wife ... and a whole lot more!

Author: Little-Mikey from Italy
1 May 2009

Golly, I remember this show when it was on Sunday nights, for only one season before getting the cancellation ax! After enjoying the surprising (or was it?) success of THE FLINTSTONES, Hanna & Barbera reasoned that they could have just as much with the future with THE JETSONS. Unfortunately, they had one big problem in the present (1962). ABC pitted THE JETSONS against WALT DISNEY'S WONDERFUL WORLD OF COLOR, which was a very popular family institution. THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF COLOR had it all, fun, cartoons, comedy, drama, not to mention the loyalty of, well, almost everybody! The fact that THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF COLOR was ... in color, further guaranteed its success, thus insuring that anyone competing would become a casualty in the ratings war.

Well, THE JETSONS became a casualty in the ratings war and was canceled after only one season. But the series was given a second chance when it went into syndication and became a very popular favorite as a Saturday morning cartoon.

The fact that there were so few (only 24) episodes did not affect its popularity. The networks simply spaced each episode further apart.

The kids loved THE JETSONS and after growing up into college students, STILL loved THE JETSONS. And after getting married and having kids, they introduced their children to THE JETSONS (as an excuse to continue to watch and enjoy the cartoon).

So in 1984, seeing that THE JETSONS was one success story that refused to die, Hanna & Barbera decided that it was time to launch Season Two of THE JETSONS, continuing to keep the series "futuristic" 1962-style and while sneaking a classic episode or two in with the new batch of episodes.

A new character or two were introduced. And in the newer episodes, there were some devices (not yet in existence in 1962) like pocket calculators, VHS players and a few other gadgets that were gradually added to the mix of futuristic gimmicks used on THE JETSONS.

The Jetsons are a normal modern day family not like any other modern day family of today, except, of course that they live in the future. And that is exactly why this show is such a wonderfully entertaining program that thankfully has seen the light of digital release!

Originality and futurism is the big strenght of this animated show

Author: Atreyu_II from The world of artists
17 August 2008

This animated TV show has notorious inspiration in "The Flintstones" when it comes to artwork, music, animation and simplicity. Even the designs and the characters look similar to the famous pre-historical cartoons, although "The Jetsons" is instead a futuristic/science-fiction TV show.

I was never really a fan of "The Jetsons" neither "The Flintstones". Don't get me wrong: I never found them bad by any circumstances. In fact, I even used to watch them sometimes when I was a kid. But they were never among my priorities or favorites when it comes to animated sitcoms.

Still, "The Jetsons" left its mark in the history of cartoons for its originality and "out-of-this-world" stories. It was certainly something ahead of its time and maybe it's because of its futuristic contents that it doesn't look as aged as "The Flintstones", although it looks just as conservative.

I remember well the opening song. It was okay, but not as cool as the catchy song from "The Flintstones".

"The Jetsons" is somewhat forgotten nowadays, but that doesn't change the fact that it is good for children or anyone who likes its particular originality.

Kewl Space cartoon

Author: Hockey Puck from Richardson, Texas
30 May 2001

The Jetsons in my view is a great cartoon about the late 21st century. It is so awsome to think that (according to the Jetsons) in the near future we would have jobs where all we had to do is push a button. The Jetsons live in the Sky Pad Apartments and their phone number is VENUS-1234. George has a Job at Spacely sprockets where his boss (Mr. Spacely) is constantly yelling at him and often firing him. George sometimes helps Mr. Spacely compete with Cogswell Cogs. Jane loves to shop, Judy loves to date, Elroy loves to play Sports, Astro (mans best friend) and is very loyal to his master George, Rosie the Robot keeps everything organized, and little Orbity is cool to hang with. The Jetsons simply ROCK. My favorite quote of the Jetsons is by George Jetson "Jane! stop this crazy this!". I think that you will enjoy 30 minutes into the 21st century by watching the Jetsons. It is a BLAST!!

Interesting look at the future

Author: SpideyTerry from Ardmore, PA
16 March 2000

Truly a classic tv series. The Jetsons had the humor and cleverness of the Flintstones, though in my opinion not as good as the stone age family. All the characters were great, but in my opinion, Astro was the best character. He reminded me of Scooby Doo. Catch this show on Cartoon Network.

Great animated series!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
8 July 2005

When this show was on I watched it every time I could! I thought that the characters were really funny and all had great personalities. The animation in My opinion was crisp, clean, and really clear. Not to mention beautiful! Most of the characters in this show are hilarious like the Looney Tunes characters that we all love. in My opinion these characters are the funniest and talented ever seen. In fact, The things that goes on in this series' cartoons are in My opinion nuts which that is what makes them hilarious! There are so many to like and laugh at and the silly things they do! If you like the original Looney Tunes then I strongly recommend that you watch this show!