One of the all-time greatest TV shows

Author: boatista24 from United States
4 September 2005

Jackie Gleason's hour-long variety show from 1962 to 1966 was a must-see then, and still is today. Unfortunately, the powers that be have seen fit to deprive the public of that rare treasure in either DVD or VHS format. In the opening monologues, Gleason would do a few jokes, drink booze from a coffee cup - "MMMMMMMMM-BOY, thats good coffee..." or bulge his eyes out with "WOW!", choke on a cigarette - while claiming "it pays to smoke the best!", and dance his way off the stage with "a little traveling music, Mr. Spear! - AND AWAY WE GO!!!" The next hour was an often riotous menagerie of mostly pantomime sketches involving one of several of Gleason's brilliant characters. There was "The Poor Sole", whom often easily wrenched audience hearts through Gleason's amazing ability to generate pathos with his humor - the likes of which can only be compared to Chaplin. Another character had a very long, narrow mustache and a straw hat, and was constantly drunk. And of course, who could forget the impeccable Reginald Van Gleason, a tuxedo and top-hatted daredevil who would stub out his cigarette and put it in his pocket before each stunt. Gleason introduced many famous comedians on his show, as well. The first time many Americans saw Rodney Dangerfield was on Gleason's December, '66 show. Gleason routinely took the summers off, from June to September. He filmed his show in NYC at first, but by series end had moved to Miami Beach, and boasted this at the beginning of each show. The June Taylor Dancers would do a great fan-dance at the beginning of each show and overhead shots of them forming patterns like a kaleidoscope were routine. Gleason would traditionally cap his show at the end with a skit involving "Joe the Bartender" and a somewhat gassed and goofy patron called "Crazy Gugenheim" - portrayed by the immortal Frankie Fontaine (who lived about 2 miles from me, in my home town of Winchester, Massachusetts!) At the end of the skit, Fontaine would sing a song that was often moving and completely out of character - similar to Jim Nabors' "Gomer Pyle" and his singing ability. In the summer of 1980, while Gleason was still alive, he authorized half-hour segments of the original hour-long shows to be rebroadcast for a very brief period. These were a real treat to see, but chopping them up like that just didn't do them justice. Also, unless one was very savvy and well-to-do, and had the foresight to have purchased one of the earliest VCRs prior to that airing, one would not have a had an opportunity to capture the show. So, public domain copies are probably extremely rare, if they exist at all. To my knowledge, the entire show was filmed in Black and White. I am not sure, but I think Gleason goes to color in 1967 with the return of "The Honeymooners". During the 1967-70 shows, where they are doing the Honeymooners again, Gleason and Art Carney take a break and do the most marvelous impersonation of Laurel and Hardy I have ever seen. It was utterly hysterical. Almost better than the original two!

I am pleading with the owners of the Gleason show copyrights to please allow us to see them once again in our lifetime - PLEASE RELEASE THE ENTIRE 1962-1966 series shows to DISK!!!! PLEASE RELEASE THE ENTIRE Honeymooners II 1967-1970 series shows to DISK!!!!

Saturday night classic!

Author: yenlo from Auburn, Me
20 September 1999

I saw a copy for this program in a video rental store and picked it up. It immediately brought me back to Saturday nights in the early 60's. The opening music with the good looking girls in tight dresses who introduced the shows sponsors. Then the June Taylor dancers routine followed by Jackie himself coming out to thunderous applause. The applause would die down long enough for Jackie to say "How Sweet It Is" which would get the crowd going again. His introduction of his flashy dressed orchestra leader Sammy Spear. One of his girls would bring him a cup of coffee? which he would take a sip and then say "WOW" a few quick jokes and his trademark "A little traveling music Sam...And Away We Go" There was even a skit with Frank Fontaine as Crazy Guggenheim in Joes Bar. At the end of the hour Jackie would come out and say "The Miami Beach audience is the greatest audience in the world...Good night everybody"

There are no longer variety shows such as this on television. Perhaps this type format just wore it self out. Jackie Gleason is best remembered for his classic show "The Honeymooners" and to a later generation as the Sheriff in the "Smokey and the Bandit" films. For me any way it will always be for this show on Saturday Nights.

The Great One (for a reason)

Author: aciolino from United States
4 September 2003

There is nothing like it on television today. There couldn't be. This show, these types of shows were about something that's a lost art: entertainment. And this is entertainment at it's best.

For those who are too young to remember Gleason's art was the art of vaudeville, where comedy and great comic acting depended more on characterization, timing, body movement, facial expressions, as opposed to clever dialogue or cutting edge subject. And Gleason was the master of this craft, and many of these skits are Gleason at his peak.

It is a lost form and if you can see it, do.

I was on the original show

Author: Salimai from Los Angeles, CA USA
14 January 2002

The show first aired from NYC and I was one of the girls in the tight dresses. It was an amazing time to work with the"Great One". I am sorry that they did not include the names/credits of the sexy girls in the tight dresses aka me, Sally Carter, Gretta Randall, Karen (?), Darlene Enlow, Anne ( sadly she moved to Paris and didn't do anything else. I have forgotten her name). Glad you enjoyed the show, I did

And away we go!

Author: Little-Mikey from Italy
6 November 2006

I remember this program very well. It aired on Saturday nights and it was one program that the entire family enjoyed. I was only 8 when I first saw this program and since this series is not available on DVD (and was never available on VHS), which is downright criminal, I am limited to memories that are over 45 years old, so details may be vague if not downright erroneous.

The series followed pretty much the same format, which worked like a charm. The show began with Jackie Gleason drinking a cup of coffee, and boy, it must've been one cup of coffee judging by the way he praised it! Then came the dancers whose numbers were quite a spectacle. Next, came the skits and numbers with Jackie Gleason and his guests. The show closed with a scene with Jackie Gleason portraying his role as Joe, the bartender tending bar. In came Crazy Goggenheim, plastered to the gills, (played by Frank Fontaine)with his jokes which were always hilarious! He never failed to leave us all in stitches! Joe would then yell "C'mon, sing us a song!" which he did. As the title of one of Frank Fontaine's albums stated,"Frank Fontaine sings like crazy!" And he did! But it was Frank Fontaine's "Crazy Guggenheim" that I enjoyed the most!

C'mon! Release the series on DVD, or at least release a "Best of..." compilation so we could once again enjoy the comic brilliance of Crazy Guggenheim, one more time!

Jackie Gleason and tidbits

Author: gcdtrek from United States
26 October 2007

Gleason,, when playing Ralph Cramdon on the Honeymooners actually never rehearsed that I have read about. Of course everyone else rehearsed and rehearsed and when it came to start taping Jackie rarely made mistakes. I imagine he ad-libbed quite often which to me made it funnier. At the end of his career he ended up playing a dimwit policeman in those horrible Smokey and the Bandit flicks, too bad because I to this day feel he could have played much better parts. That was Jackie Gleason.When someone asked him "Why were the Honeymooners so very popular and still in reruns?" He answered very quickly and honestly "Because they were funny" and that is Jackie Gleason. Also when growing up in NYC I have read he was actually a very good pool player making a living by hustling pool. LOL The story goes that Lucy gave Jackie the nickname "The Great One", and that IS Jackie Gleason.