Well done comic book adventure

Author: Albert Ohayon from Montreal, Quebec, Canada
24 November 2003

This is easily the best of the two live-action Tintin adaptations(the other being TINTIN ET LES ORANGES BLEUES which was ok, but nothing special). For the uninitiated, Tintin is the well known Belgian comic book character created by Herge. Every French-speaking child and most European children have grown up following his many comic book adventures. The film is not an adaptation of a Tintin story but this does not matter greatly. Instead we have an exciting adventure that sees Tintin and Capitaine Haddock travel to Turkey to claim a boat(the Toison D'or)that the good captain inherited from a friend. The intrigue starts at this point as numerous people want the boat for some mysterious reason. Jean-Pierre Talbot is perfectly cast as Tintin. Not only does he resemble the character physically but he shares the enthusiasm and athletic agility of his comic book counterpart. Georges Wilson is also good as Capitaine Haddock(gruff and a little silly). The beautiful sun-drenched Turkish and Greek locations are a delight to look at and the story moves along at a good clip. Milou the dog is also quite good. What more can one ask for? An excellent film for the young and young at heart.

OK adaptation of classic comic book universe

Author: tor.saether from Mo i Rana, Norway
12 June 2001

I should know this movie fairly well, since it was a central object of scrutiny for my film major thesis. And I must say, being a Tintin devotee since the late seventies, I enjoyed this film quite a lot.

It's not a direct adaptation as such, since the story did not exist as a comic book prior to the shoot. The script was in fact specially conceived for this particular movie. Nevertheless, apart from a few more or less significant deviations from the Tintin norms - some of them necessary by way of making a film in its own right and not a live action comic book (the latter more true in the case of the sequel) - it's still very much a Tintin story. We have the same ingredients; the exotism, the heroism, the adventure... And the characters are being portrayed wonderfully. So, I give it 7 out of 10 points.

A must-see for all Tintin fans. If you can get your hands on a copy, that is.

A rollicking good adventure and travelogue, great for kids

Author: Scott Blackwell from Brisbane, Australia
26 August 2002

This is the sort of children's story - and yeah, okay, father's story too - that you can sit and watch with the kids time and again. The music especially is truly memorable. We love this film and now my kids are showing it to their friends and they love it too.

First and entertaining live-action Tintin rendition with exciting adventures set in Turkey and Greece

Author: ma-cortes
13 November 2011

Original plot inspired on the popular and famous comic books by the genius Herge . Since his creation in 1930 with ¨Tintin in the land of Soviets¨ the success has been unstoppable . Within the next 80 years Tintin became one of the most popular European comics of the 20th Century, due to its well-researched plots, appealing characters, humor, political thrillers, & real world settings. The tale is ordinary Tintin album , with adventure in exotic places, in this case Turkey and Greece . For those of you not familiar with Tintin, let's just say that every Belgium kids and most European children under the age and grown-up have been excited by his comic book adventures for over half a century . This time our friends go to Turkey and Greek islands where take place several adventures . The picture will appeal to the fans of the popular animated hero named Tintin and his faithful sidekicks as well as the comic-books nostalgics . Our friends Tintin , Haddock , Tournesol and the butler Nestor are living at the palace of Moulinsard when the captain receives a letter. As Tintin and captain Haddock along with the Dupont brothers (In Spain are named Hernandez and Fernandez) travel in Turkey , Greek coast and Meteor monastery when Temistocle Paparanic, an old friend of Captain Haddock, dies and he inherits Paparanic's ship, called "La Toison d'or" and now his old shipmate is to attempting get hold of it. Tintin (Jean Pierre Talbot who looks exactly like him) and Haddock (Georges Wilson who bears remarkable resemblance and perfect performance) travel to Istanbul to pick it up, only to encounter that its a worthless-looking wreck. However, soon a certain Anton Karabine (Demetrios) offers him a lot of money for it. When Haddock refuses to sell , he's nearly murdered . Tintin and Captain Haddock try to discover what is so desirable about their old and apparently worthless ship. After a while, the truth comes out and battling over-the-top bad guys

This is a funny , light , adventure comic book adaptation with hilarious moments here and there . It has Tintin and his inseparable friends captain Haddock , absent-minded professor Tournesol , the botcher Dupont brothers taking on , as always, against stupid enemies , and ruthless and mean international delinquents . This live action movie of the popular "Tintin" comic-book magazine brilliantly captures the outrageous adventures, tongue-in-cheek, satire, comedy ,taking the characters and some elements from original stories . Although contains some silly scenes and a medium budget , however being better developed than subsequent entry titled ¨Tintin and the blue oranges¨ . This amusing movie is accompanied by lively musical score with a catching leitmotif on the start and the ending. Full of humor , it's a funny entertaining for kids and grown-ups . Entertaining screenplay isn't based on the known comics by Herge but originally written by Forlani . Based on the unforgettable characters created by "Hergé" born under the name Georges Remi on May 22, 1907 in Brussels, Belgium. As a child, Herge had a gift for drawing but never had any formal training in the visual arts. He attended both school and the boy scouts during the World War 1 and post-World War 1 era. After he finished school Herge published his first ever cartoon: "The Adventures of Totor". 1929, Herge introduced a cartoon about a traveling Belgium reporter (Tintin) accompanied by his fox terrier (Snowy) traveling the Soviet Union. By 1930,Herge published the very first Tintin book: "Tintin in the Land of the Soviets". After that , followed a weekly magazine in 1946 . Later on , it's published successful comic books as ¨Cigarrettes of pharaoh, Treasure of Rackam the Red ,Tintin and the scepter of Ottokar¨. Tintin soon became Herge's "ligne Claire" (French for clear line) legacy. The later adventures of Tintin involved other locations of the world from China ¨The blue Lotus¨ all the way to America as ¨Tintin in America¨. After completing 23 books, Herge passed away on March 3, 1983, leaving "Tintin & the Alpha-Art" (The 24th book) unfinished. Under Belgium publisher Raimond Leblanc's guidance, the boy reporter became the hero of a weekly children's magazine, with Hergé as the artistic director and magnificent creator of the immortal personage . Later on ,Raymond Leblanc produced the following films: ¨Tintin in the lake of Sharks¨ and 1970 ¨Tintín in the temple of the sun¨. The picture will appeal to Tintin comic-books buffs. An agreeable , funny adaptation from a great comic book.

Tintin done properly!

Author: reneartois from United States
11 March 2012

I have been a fan of Tintin for almost all of my life, having read every book (including Tintin in the Land of the Soviets, Tintin in the Congo, and Tintin and the Alph-Art). While I did enjoy the Spielberg/Jackson film, it lacked the proper feel of a Tintin album. There was too much action and too many special effects, despite having great talent. That is where this movie, Tintin et le Mystere de la Toison d'Or (Tintin and the Golden Fleece) succeeds, and does so dramatically.

The plot is simple, and familiar to those who have read Tintin before. A friend of Captain Haddock, Paparanic, dies, and leaves in his will a ship named the Golden Fleece. Tintin and Captain Haddock go to Istanbul to collect it. But it's a rusty old bucket, as Haddock might have said, and he plans to sell it. A man named Karabine claims he is an old friend of Paparanic and offers a small fortune for the boat. Tintin is suspicious and declines the offer. Then the threats come and it seems that a group of people will stop at nothing to have the ship in their hands. The ship, Tintin reasons, must be hiding something, and he intends to find out.

Firstly, the characters. Jean-Pierre Talbot is, essentially, Tintin. He embodies the character perfectly and brings the athleticism and energy needed for the role, natural considering he was a personal trainer at the time. Captain Haddock, played by the well-known, BAFTA-nominated Georges Wilson, may have one of the most unreal beards in the history of film, but that is part of the charm. He also is cast superbly, with the gruffness needed for the role and also the heart of Captain Haddock (as evidenced by the scene where he speaks to the portrait of his dead friend. Calculus has very little to do but makes the most of his screen time with a nice invention and a connection to the ship's parrot, and Thomson and Thompson, incognito, have a few good scenes, and also fit the role perfectly. One cannot forget Snowy, who is ideal and looks perfect. The casting is so excellent it feels like the characters walked of the pages of Herge's albums. The rest of the cast includes, Dario Moreno, the Turkish singer, as one of Paparanic's old shipmates, and, happily, Marcel Bozzuffi as the secondary villain, who you may recognize from The French Connection, who has a very nice fight with Talbot.

It is one thing to have perfect characterizations, but the Golden Fleece succeeds where almost all other Tintin movies have failed by capturing the spirit of Tintin. Spielberg and Jackson had the right ideas in mind (particularly, I think, Jackson) but the action is too over-stated and the movie as a whole opts for grandness when subtlety would have done much better. The climactic crane fight at the end of that film was fine when assumed as a modern-day version of a sword fight, but Tintin's villains were not brought to justice by shipyard equipment or the equivalent; they were captured by gunpoint, traps, or by sheer coincidence. The same goes for the rest of Spielberg's creation. Laying waste to a city is surely not Tintin's style. Tintin and the Mystery of the Golden Fleece is so much better because it understands this and seeks to make itself like a Tintin album. The story is light yet intimate, well-paced and simple, and virtually eliminates all exposition (although for the mass of people who were assumed to never have read Tintin before, Spielberg had to accommodate, naturally). Most importantly, the direction is absolutely dynamic. The camera-work is exactly as it would be in a Tintin book. It is again simple, with little weight, and to the point. There is little trickery, little grandiosity, unless it is necessary: as Herge did with his landscapes, so Istanbul is portrayed from overhead for a while, but even then non-pretentiously. Although the movie lacks some subtleties that only Herge could have created, it ticks all of the other boxes. Thankfully, an excellent release came out on DVD not too long ago. The picture is very clear, clearer than any other version I have seen. And the sound is better, which is just as well because the music is also fantastic in this. This is a must-see for any Tintin fan, casual or Tintinologist. Also worth watching is the slightly less excellent sequel, Tintin et les Oranges Bleues (Tintin and the Blue Oranges), also with Jean- Pierre Talbot.

Very well made adaptation to the screen of Tintin

Author: Andres Salama from Buenos Aires, Argentina
2 April 2014

This relatively little known French live action film from 1961 was the first time that Tintin (the famous boy reporter created by Belgian cartoonist Herge) was brought to the silver screen. It is also probably the best, certainly capturing better Tintin's spirit than the recent Spielberg film. It obviously helped that Herge has creative input in this, unlike with other movies based on Tintin (though this was not based on any particular book but was rather an original story for the screen). The story has Captain Haddock unexpectedly inheriting a boat in Istanbul. When he goes there with Tintin to retrieve the boat, not only it turns out to be a rotting barge, but also there are a lot of baddies trying to pursue them and the boat. It soon becomes clear that the boat is involved with some treasure. Jean Pierre Talbot and Georges Wilson are perfect as Tintin and Haddock. And the attractive locations (Istanbul, Athens, Meteora in Greece) filmed with lush color certainly help a lot.

A rare Tintin movie action adaptation

Author: Jeliosjelios from France
5 September 2010

A rare adaptation of the most famous reporter comics. a collector! This film respects the spirit of the comics and the time.

Tintin and the Mystery of the Golden Fleece does not appear to have been the subject of a restoration (at least on the television version that I have viewed August 2010). That's why we could see the film grain of the era that is still properly maintained. This may delight lovers and nostalgic film.

Proper distribution is an unforgettable experience Tintin, Captain Haddock, Professor Calculus, Thomson and Thompson ... and Snowy.

The realization is very correct and respects the spirit, tone and pace of the comic.

A good adaptation of the comic books and even a very good compared to the various adaptations that have been made in recent years that show overwhelmingly disappointing. We forget the original work for a film format ensuring a minimum of risk for financiers, so that the original work is often already very good. (Otherwise we would not an adaptation)

Watch it, such a good time with family.

Jelios

jelios@hotmail.fr

An excellent comic strip rarely becomes a good movie.

Author: dbdumonteil
26 May 2002

The adventures of Tintin and Milou(Tin Tin and snowy) are now part of European culture.Their impact is so awesome that they are the subject of many university thesis;there are more books about Hergé than about the other European cartoonists put together.Although overshadowed by Asterix in terms of sales,Tintin remains the intellectuals' favorite ,who particularly relish with Hergé's most modern album "les bijoux de la Castafiore".

What they're doing with Asterix now (Asterix:mission Cleopatre),they did it with Tintin forty years ago.It was an impossible task.All the characters of the albums get lost on the screen:George Wilson is physically captain Haddock but he is far from his model;the same goes for Professeur Tournesol (Calculus) and the Dupondt (Thompson twins).As for Milou(Snowy) ,the dog which plays the part is completely insignificant ,except for the dynamite scene.Jean-Pierre Talbot resembles Tin Tin but finding the right actor was impossible cause Tin Tin is neither an adolescent nor a young adult.Hergé used to say his hero was some kind of neutral creature,with which the reader could identify himself.

The film is watchable ,because the screenplay is OK,even if it's a million miles away from Hergé's remarkable stories:there are villains,beautiful landscapes(Istambul,The Greek Meteors) a cameo of Charles Vanel at his shrewdest .

The second attempt,"Tintin et les oranges bleues" ,was a complete disaster and unlike this one, has nothing to commend it.

An original live action movie based on the classic comic books.

Author: david-sarkies from Australia
28 September 2012

If it wasn't for my dad I would not have known that this Tintin movie actually exists. Ignoring the more recent Spielburg offering, the only Tintin movie that I knew of was Tintin and the Lake of Sharks (which I have not seen in a very long time) so when I discovered that this one existed I decided to see what it was like. I enjoyed it but unfortunately the brilliance of the Herge albums does not seem to come across all that well, despite this being written during the later part of the series.

Captain Haddock receives a letter advising him of the death of a former comrade and that all of the possessions of this comrade, which consists of a boat, is given to Haddock. However the catch is that Haddock must make the final delivery, so the Captain and Tintin travel to Istanbul to pick up the ship and deliver the cargo of rugs to Athens. However, as can be expected, when they arrive, very substantial offers are made to them for the boat, and suspecting a mystery is afoot, Tintin decides that he wants to investigate further.

This is a live action movie and as a movie they actually did very well in creating the characters. In fact each of the characters appear so similar to the actual comic book characters it is amazing. The Asterix movie that I saw came nowhere near to making the characters appear as they do in the comics. Unfortunately though, which the Captain's rather colourful language seems to work really well in the comics, it just never seemed to work all that well on the screen. I can't quite remember the more recent movie, but this movie, and the cartoon series, the language always seems to be forced and unnatural, and I suspect that is because the language is so unusual that it makes it very difficult for an actor to replicate it.

The other thing that I enjoyed about this movie is the fact that it was set in Greece. I never really realised how visiting a country or a city actually changes our perception of the city when we then see it on the screen. All of the sudden, when we see places that we know and have visited we can visualise it so much better. Okay, I didn't get to go to Metanoia (a collection of monasteries sitting atop rocky pinnacles) and the Pireaus seemed a little unrecognisable, but then again this was made fifty years ago. Also, I did notice that the roads in Athens were nowhere near as chaotic as they are today.

There were parts of this movie that reminded me of other aspects of the comics, such as when he was on a tour of Istanbul only to find himself imprisoned in a tower, and also where people are attempting to buy the boat off of him for ridiculous amounts of money, however, other than that, this was an enjoyable movie, but nowhere near as great as the comics were.

Looks great

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
4 August 2015

A so-so storyline (not based on one of the Herge comic books) is the only thing that spoils this otherwise enthralling live-action adaptation of the TINTIN comics. It's probably the best-realised live-action version of any comic book I've seen, with characters who truly look the part and scenery and backdrops which could have come straight from Herge's pen.

The meandering storyline involves Tintin, Snowy, and Captain Haddock finding themselves in possession of a rusting and seemingly worthless old hulk. When a gang of criminals begin hunting them down, they soon realise the battered old ship has more to it than meets the eye, and to solve the mystery they embark on a globe-trotting adventure. The comedic parts of the narrative are the best bits while the rest of it can be a little stagey at times.

TINTIN AND THE GOLDEN FLEECE is delightfully old-fashioned in its approach and definitely tongue in cheek to boot. Jean-Pierre Talbot is pitch perfect as the titular character and Georges Loriot simply sublime as Professor Calculus. Georges Wilson is less assured as Captain Haddock - he looks and feels more like Popeye's Bluto - but at least he gives it his all. A bumbling cameo from the Thompson Twins is much welcome, but the real delight here is the dog playing Snowy. A more perfectly-trained and characterful creature you couldn't find, and the bit with him and the dynamite is the highlight of the entire movie.