IMDb > Tammy Tell Me True (1961) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Tammy Tell Me True More at IMDbPro »

Fabulous and touching story

Author: clee75 from United States
27 June 2005

I just watched this movie for the first time and I was completely hooked! The main actress has so much spunk and sincerity. I discovered that her real name is Sandra Dee. I had heard of Sandra Dee, but I had never seen her before. I think she was a fabulous actress! Also, this movie has a timeless story which could apply in any era. I loved the movie and Sandra Dee was amazing. I think Sandra Dee could have acted in any era. I was born in 1975 and it is difficult for me to relate to the acting style of older movies before my time. This one was certainly an exception. I was sad to find out that she died this year at 60 years old. I intend to see more of her films.

slightly better than the original

Author: funkyfry from Oakland CA
15 November 2015

Sandra Dee more than adequately fills the role formerly occupied by Debbie Reynolds, as "Tammy", a naive river hick who helps people discover their true selves and who falls in love with stiff- shouldered men. It turns out that Leslie Nielsen's character from the original film didn't really care for Tammy after all, never returning any of her letters. Tammy decides she needs to go to college in order to be a fit wife for her man, so she takes up the anchor and has her riverbarge friend (Cecil Kellaway) tow her down to a spot closer to institutions of higher learning.

As in the original film, Tammy is adopted by various needy individuals, most notably the local Dean of Women (Virginia Grey), who's trapped in a sexless marriage with a failed painter (Charles Drake). However, most of her attention this time is devoted to an elderly lady (Beulah Bondi) who she befriends, while her scheming daughter (Julia Meade) is trying to have her committed and steal her fortune. Bondi is a more seasoned and talented performer than just about anybody in the original film, and she really gives this movie a huge boost.

Essentially though, it's still the same kind of unambitious, saccharine and totally predictable film as its predecessor. The director, Harry Keller, brings the same kind of vision that he brought to other important screen properties like "Commander Cody: Sky Marshal of the Universe" and the same sense of drama that he brought to television for the unforgettable "Letter to Loretta" series. The movie is pleasant enough, and it lacks some of the elements that made the original "Tammy" movie so execrable.... notably racist stereotypes and the constant presence of Debbie Reynolds. I find Sandra Dee to be much cuter, much more genuinely funny and slightly less corny.

John Gavin basically has just as little to do here in this film as Nielsen did in the original. Perhaps by teaming Gavin and Dee in this film and in "Imitation of Life" the producer Ross Hunter hoped to clone the magic of his combination of Rock Hudson and Doris Day in "Pillow Talk." But it would have helped if they gave Gavin an actual human character to play, instead of just the new version of Tammy's idealized male. Not that I'm sure Gavin can actually play a real human being, but it would be interesting if he had the chance.....

Although this film lacks the truly offensive middle section of its predecessor, it does manage to score some good housekeeping points by allowing Tammy to teach Bible lessons to atheist children (no less than a tiny Bill Mumy) and giving her a good opportunity for an anti-feminist message -- she convinces Virginia Grey that all her problems with her husband are caused by the fact that she makes more money than he does. I'm sorry, the guy seemed like a total creep to me, he was trying to get in Tammy's pants the minute that he saw her. Instead of telling the poor woman to adopt a kid she should have told her to dump her creepy husband and hook up with a man that isn't intimidated by a successful woman. But then, nobody should really be asking Tammy for romantic advice.....

A lot of sunshine into everyone's life

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
18 September 2016

It's been four years since the first Tammy film and Sandra Dee has taken over the title role from Debbie Reynolds. Dee is charming and disarming with her country ways and wisdom. Even among the college educated at the college she's decided to take some courses at.

Actually Tammy has the first lesson down very well, the realization that there is a lot out there that one does not know. She heads off to college and first meets speech instructor John Gavin. She gets a job as a companion to the elderly Beulah Bondi whose life has been taken over by her niece Julia Meade who is eyeing that big inheritance.

The plot here is taken quite a bit from Pollyanna, both the silent version with Mary Pickford and the famous Disney one with Hayley Mills. Dee just spreads a lot of sunshine into everyone's life and makes believers of all except possibly Meade who loses a bundle.

Best scenes in the film are with Dee and Bondi whom she invites to go live on her river flatboat for a bit. Bondi did that in her youth and actually enjoys the time away from that mansion that feels like a prison to her. She even gets a little senior citizen romance going with Cecil Kellaway.

If you were a fan of the first Tammy film you will not be disappointed with what Sandra Dee did with this film.

A 'True' classic

Author: makeitso-29-642982 from United States
19 October 2013

The first time I saw this movie, I was a very young girl. I loved it then and I own it now. I fell in love with the other two movies as well (Tammy and the Bachelor and Tammy and the Doctor). Sandra Dee slips easily into Debbie Reynolds shoes in the second installment, Tammy Tell me True, and adapts most convincingly into her bayou lass role. A truly entertaining classic that transports one into a more innocent and simpler time and reeks of nostalgia for anyone in the 50+ age group. Sandra Dee is disarming in her mix of innocence and simple wisdom, putting to shame the very people who initially mock her. Sandra shows a true range of acting skills that she proves in another vehicle of the time period: A Summer Place. For pure, fun, entertaining fare, this is it.

Priceless!

Author: ivan beshkov (ivanbeshkov@msn.com) from LOS ANGELES
10 August 2000

I can't believe I'm the first person commenting on this priceless comedy!

True, it has great sentimental value for me, because it brings me back to Sao Paulo 1962 where I first saw it. The title in Portuguese was "Con Amor no Coracao" (With Love In The Heart). I loved it every time I saw it.

SANDRA DEE IS A GENIUS. Her brand of comedy is totally unique, and her artistic HUMILITY most touching. She OWNS every role she plays. How can Hollywood overlook such a LADY!!!!!!!!!! She is one of the true stars we have left. But then, what film would be great enough to fit her?

There are of course, many merits in this film other than Ms. Dee. The writing is utterly brilliant, the cinematography lovely. A country bumpkin meets city folks and makes helpless fools of them with her disarming innocence. Once exposed, the phonies mend their ways and acquire some of her virtues.

One wonders if Tammy isn't really black.

"Are you laughin' at me out of pure delight...or otherwise?"

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
1 October 2016

Sandra Dee assumes the role of Tammy Tyree, uneducated backwoods girl living on a shanty boat on the Mississippi River, formerly played by Debbie Reynolds in 1957's "Tammy and the Bachelor". There's not much connection between the two films aside from our heroine: Tammy's beau has disappeared to agricultural college and her grandpa has been jailed for making corn liquor without a license. Producer Ross Hunter, he of the well-upholstered "women's films" popular in the 1950s, would seem an odd choice for a romantic comedy about a Bible-quotin' young gal without any schoolin'--or an impressive wardrobe--hankerin' to go to college, but at least the production is bright and cheery, like Tammy herself. Dee does well in the lead, while Hunter has her comfortably paired with John Gavin, her crush from "Imitation of Life" (he was too old for her there--and he's probably too old for her here--but they have an easy rapport). Tammy's plain-spoken, unpretentious nature garners her a friend in Beulah Bondi's wealthy dowager, Mrs. Call, which offers some pleasant asides and a satisfying wrap-up in court. Glossy, perky, but also exceptionally thin and sugary...likely to cause bad reactions in viewers not in the mood for a heavy helping of syrup. Dee played Tammy again in 1963's somewhat improved "Tammy and the Doctor." ** from ****

The Tammy saga continues..

Author: kz917-1 from Florida, United States
5 July 2017

In this Tammy movie Sandra Dee takes over in the main role. This time we find Pete off to cow college and Tammy wants to get herself some learnin' as Grandpa is still in jail over the corn liquor. Tammy gets the Ellen B. houseboat towed downstream to be close to the Seminola College and then the calamities begin! This time Tammy falls for a speech professor and befriends an older woman with an overbearing niece. Some of the situations and phrases would never be uttered in today's age. But this is a snapshot in time. Definitely will make you laugh, just don't think too much about it. Worth a rental.

A Notch Below The original

Author: dgz78 (dgz78@yahoo.com) from United States
30 July 2006

The Tammy movies are never going to be confused for high art. They were meant to be light hearted fun that you could take your kids to.

The sequel continues the same corny story but the big difference is Sandra Dee replacing Debbie Reynolds. I love Sandra Dee and think she made the perfect Gidget bur she is not Debbie Reynolds. She deserves credit for taking the chance on following Reynolds because she knew there would be comparisons. Of course Sandra was head and shoulders better than Debbie Watson.

The story has Tammy going to college and just as in the original she is responsible for others rediscovering their love or hooking up with their true mate. Beulah Bondi has the role Mildred Natwick had in the original of the wise old woman. Bondi, like Natwick, was one of the great supporting actresses in Hollywood and lends a touch of class to the movie.

As for the rest of the cast, John Gavin is no Leslie Nielsen. Nielsen really was a good straight actor and Gavin is as stiff as a tree in comparison. The rest of the supporting cast is similarly a notch below the original.

If you like Sandra Dee, check out Gidget. It's just as much fun but with a better story and cast.