IMDb > The Parent Trap (1961) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Amusing , funny and entertaining family comedy with a sensational Hayley Mills

Author: ma-cortes from Santander Spain
2 May 2007

This is an agreeable updating from an E. Kastner's story , it deals about two twins little girls (Hayley Mills). When they are in summer holidays and after several antics each other , discover the surprise which they are twin sisters and then they plot change characters with their different parents (Mauren O'Hara , Brian Keith) who are disjointed since the divorce and the girls have been separately raised . The father is going to marry a young woman (Joanna Barnes) and the eleven-years-old girls scheme the parents reconciliation by making impossible life of the father's bride .

The picture contains enjoyable comedy , humor , tongue-in-cheek and being pretty entertaining . This classical Disney comedy was remade in 1998 with Lindsay Lohan and previously adapted to British cinema in a movie titled : ¨Twice upon a time¨ (1954) . Hayley Mills acting is sympathetic and amusing . Hayley plays two sisters and she makes it splendidly . Hayley starred two sequels for Television (1986, 1989). Susan Henning took on the role as Hayley Mills' body double for several of the twin shots in the film , as part of her contract, she signed away her rights to be credited . The screenplay originally called for only a few trick photography shots of Hayley Mills in scenes with herself; the bulk of the film was to be shot using a body double. When Walt Disney saw how seamless the processed shots were , he ordered the script reconfigured to include more of the special effect . Mauren O'Hara and Brian Keith are magnificent as parents in similar roles later starred by Natasha Richardson and Dennis Quaid . Joanna Barnes as the unpleasant fiancée is very well , in the remake she played the bride's (incarnated by Elaine Hendrix) mother . The movie will appeal to family comedy enthusiasts . Rating : Amusing and enjoyable . Well worth seeing .

Disney Classic

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
22 August 2002

What can I say, it's got the Disney magic to it, and a pretty good idea. If you like Disney films, you'll love this. It's a true "classic" to be quoted, and can be enjoyed by all ages. Just stay clear of the 1998 remake. 3.5/5 stars--

100% Perfect

Author: sjdean ( from Birmingham, England
26 March 2000

Wow. I cant get enough of this film. Im not going to compare it with the 1998 version, because even though they have the same name and same basic plot, they are two different styles so how people can say one is better than the other is beyond me. But, the 1961 version IS better.

It has everything, comedy, romance, sadness, the acting is superb, not just from Hayley Mills, but you have Brian Keith as Mitch, and Rev. Mosby, 'Bourbon, Double, On the rocks'. I cannot fault this film and cant wait to watch it again.

One of the best films ever made.

One of the 1960's Best Films!

Author: tequila101 from Australia
1 September 2012

After watching the 1998 remake with Lindsay Lohan, I had to check out the 60's version which I thought was unbelievably filmed well! Firstly, before I start ranting on how great the film was, I will say that I don't think that this film doesn't match the remake. Usually I find remade films worse or less superior than the originals but for some reason I just found some more fun in the remake. The original however I think is still excellent and should still be viewed.

The plot centers on two twins who discover each other at a girls camp. They find out who each other's parents are and then they decide to con-cock a mischievous plan into swapping places and getting to know each other's parents before meeting again, trying to reunite their parents.

The acting, scenery and settings, music score, unique moments and memorable scenes were put together very well and the entire film still holds up to today's standards.

My first thoughts were that the film wasn't going to be great at all and that it wasn't going to beat the remake. I was wrong about it being a well made masterpiece, but I was right about it not beating the remake in my opinion.

I thought everything was a little different and more absurd whilst I still found more moments (especially the woods scenes). However, I did find the music a little bit too typical (very 50's-60's styled themed music, it sounded like anything else).

Overall, I do love this film. I don't have anything negative to say about it, but there's just something about the remake which I found more special, but then again if we didn't have this film, we wouldn't have the remake!!! Anyway, I really believe the film is one of the best 1960's films, ranking right up with 60's horror such as Black Sabbath and Rosemary's Baby. 8.5/10

A Favorite During My Tween Years

Author: aashdon from United States
6 March 2011

I first saw this movie on Sunday night TV Wonderful World of Disney in 1979 and was hooked. I bought the book at the school book fair and reread it a dozen times.

My older sister had seen Parent Trap in the theater and knew all of the parts that 1970s TV had edited out.

In the 1980s I finally got to see the whole film uncut on the Disney cable channel and finally got to figure out "the little dolls signing the parent trap song" my sister spoke of (there was 15 minutes I'd never get back)....

Dorky animated cupids aside, as a kid I loved the movie's cross country saga. The camp cabin sabotage, the twins joining forces to prank dad's girlfriend.

Although most kids will still enjoy the original movie's favorite kid moments of the punchbowl splashing into a chaperon, the timeless cake falling on Miss Inch's face, and Vicky's hissy fit, the movie's long pace might bore todays kids.

Although some purists don't like the new remake of Parent Trap, I thought the remake kept the essence of the original story and updated it to match todays global travel, destigmatization of divorce, etc.

A little too long, but original, sassy and smart, with an outstanding Hayley Mills

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
3 June 2010

I thoroughly enjoyed this film, and I do prefer it over the remake. The remake was really nice too, but this has a more special place in my heart. It is a little too long however, and there are one or two moments in the film that could have been less padded such as the interlude at the summer camp.

That said, The Parent Trap is a really engaging film, it is sassy, funny and smart with an original concept. The film is really beautiful to look at too, lovely cinematography, costumes and scenery. Another nice component was the music, really tuneful and sweet and most of all memorable.

The script is funny, sharp and smart, there is some witty dialogue and also some touching parts too. The direction is equally adept and skillful, David Swift also guided Hayley Mills through her Oscar-winning turn in Pollyanna the previous year.

Then there is the acting. Hayley Mills is outstanding in the dual roles of the twins who try to reunite their divorced parents. I first encountered Mills in Tiger Bay, a very underrated film that is and she was just brilliant in it, in fact her performance in that film is one of my all-time favourite child performances. Let's not forget the other actors either, Brian Keith is fine as the father though he could have done with more material, and the stunning Maureen O'Hara is a delight as the mother. There's also Leo G.Carroll, who I am familiar with from his supporting turns in Hitchcock films like Suspicion and Spellbound, it was nice to see him again.

Overall, I liked this film very, very much. Not perfect by all means but a delight nonetheless. 8/10 Bethany Cox

A PERFECT family film, well worth 2 hours!

Author: Darryl-Gonzalez from United States
17 January 2006

This film is excellent! It's the story of two twins who were separated shortly after birth when their parents divorce. The twins (both played masterfully by Hayley Mills) accidentally meet up at summer camp 11 years or so later (each not knowing of the other's existence), and through a series of hilarious hijinks, realize that they are sisters and plot to get Mom and Dad back together again.

This is a movie that reminds us that marriages, even bad ones, are worth working out and fighting for, a message that is missing in so many Hollywood movies these days. Look for really charming, Oscar-worthy (in my opinion) performances by Una Merkel (Verbeena) and Charles Ruggles (Charles McKendrick).

****SPOILER ALERT**** The scene where the twins first realize who they are and what happened is classic, and worth the price of a rental by itself. The dance number, "Let's Get Together", which the twins perform again later in the movie, is memorable, and you'll be singing it to yourself for weeks later!

So, if you want to make a ninny out of yourself by not seeing this movie, it's none of my never mind, that's why I'm not saying a word!

10/10 stars.

Mischievous Masterpiece

Author: Gruesome_Glamour from New Wave England
13 May 2003

Scary how no one stays together anymore these days. But enough about trashy Hollywood marriages and J-Lo's next big divorce... and on to the topic of great lovers parted by silly quarrels. Like the one in The Parent Trap. Sharon is a conservative Bostonian girl who's getting in touch with nature at summer camp when she meets Susan. Susan is a loose Californian tomboy with a sweet tooth. When the two girls see each other, needless to say the experience is a kin to looking in the mirror in the morning. Only with two different hair styles. The girls look alike! But they have no idea who one another is.

At first, the relationship is rocky. They can't get along together. Each figures that the other has a lot of nerve showing up with the same face. Things quickly get juvenile and out of hand. The head of Camp Inch steps in and forces them to share a special isolation cabin as a punishment for fighting at the camp dance- the effect either to drive each other crazy or learn to accept their similarities and become friends. They don't simply become friends, but understand they are indeed sisters. Twin sisters. Then, they compose a plot to bring their estranged parents together again by switching places. And everything gets twisted. Especially when Sharon arrives at her hunky father Mitch's home in Carmel- where pretty young gold-digger Vicky Robinson is swooping in on the family fortune.

Actress Hayley Mills becomes a Disney legend. One British girl plays two separate American twins. That's a feat of technical achievement by any standard. The Parent Trap is one of Disney's greatest non-animated features and everyone should see it. Young and old. Though, it will mostly appeal to families with mischievous children. The story includes a subplot of the twin girls playing devilishly clever pranks on anyone who crosses their line. Well-acted, witty, and touching. A masterpiece, big thumbs up. The Disney DVD for The Parent Trap is truly packed with great bonus features and a deal at a reasonably inexpensive price. Get it. Disney made a sequel in 1998.

A bit brash and overlong, but otherwise extremely enjoyable

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
2 September 2001

Pleasant whiff of an idea (twin teen girls--separated by their divorcing parents shortly after birth--find each other at summer camp and plan to reunite their folks) gets a big boost not only from the colorful players but by gorgeous photography and production (check out that home in California!). Hayley Mills is very persuasive as lookalike troublemakers Susan and Sharon--and if she gets a little shrill at times, that's OK because her manner is still very likable and, let's face it, she's adorable singing "Let's Get Together (Yeah Yeah Yeah)". Brian Keith and Maureen O'Hara are perfect as Mills' parents, the supporting cast is a wonderful collection of screwballs, and the finale (though it takes a while in coming) is very uplifting. An energetic and happy Disney enterprise, quite memorable and eons better than the recent remake. ***1/2 from ****

Walt Disney Doubles Hayley Mills

Author: wes-connors from Los Angeles
28 December 2010

Pretty short-haired Hayley Mills (as Susan Evers) and pretty long-haired Hayley Mills (as Sharon McKendrick) meet at camp and discover they are twins who were separated at birth by divorcing parents Brian Keith (as Mitch) and Maureen O'Hara (as Maggie). At first, the thirteen-year-old girls don't get along, but they soon become fast friends. It doesn't take too much thinking to figure out the plot from here. The twins decide to switch places and bring their parents back together, since neither remarried. But, they must first stop Mr. Keith from marrying gold-digger Joanna Barnes (as Vicky Robinson)...

After looking at Maureen O'Hara, I'd consider marrying her. After looking at Mr. Keith's California estate, I'd consider marrying him, too. So, I guess these parents stayed single because, at Ms. Mills deduces, they really do love each other. They sure fight like an old married couple. Why they separated their daughters, and hid them from each other, is inexplicable. While it's never revealed, the daughters must have spent many years in British finishing schools, without running into each other. The "split-screen" is very good, but Mr. Keith's hairpiece does not match properly. Okay, I'm marrying Hayley Mills.

***** The Parent Trap (6/12/61) David Swift ~ Hayley Mills, Brian Keith, Maureen O'Hara, Joanna Barnes

Page 2 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]