IMDb > Creature from the Haunted Sea (1961) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Creature from the Haunted Sea
Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Wonderful, deliberately bad monster movie

Author: Skragg from United States
24 July 2005

As the back cover of a DVD of it points out, this movie parodies a dozen different movie things - social comment (the Cuban Revolution), monsters, gangsters, spies, beatniks (to some degree), impromptu singing, cameos by the film-makers, Bogart movies, even South Pacific (I think). And Betsy Jones-Moreland makes one of the great movie molls (in comedies OR dramas). This story is the first and last place I've heard the phrase "crazy-looking" - "crazy" in the "beat" sense of the word, making it a compliment - but I've always wanted to use it. And of course, there's Antony Carbone as a villain you start to feel sorry for, because he's surrounded by incompetents, and Robert Towne as the incompetent hero, who tries to make himself sound better in the narration, but fails even THEN. There are many little moments that really work - the impromptu song with the really clumsy lyrics (even though it's a romantic song, it has the title of the movie worked into it), the cameo by Roger Corman himself where he seems to be trying to make Robert Towne laugh, and of course the aliases. There's one little thing it took me a long while to notice. In one scene, "Sparks" is trying to rescue "Marybelle" (who hates him) from drowning (which she isn't). She gets fed up and hits him, and (though I'm not at all sure), instead of sounding "dubbed in", it sounds like Moreland got carried away and hit him for real. Deliberately clumsy-looking films (not just horror ones, of course) have gotten much TOO common lately (taking a lot of the novelty away from it), but Creature From The Haunted Sea really works.

Not his best but very good...

Author: doug-may from phoenix, AZ
19 February 2004

There seems to be a lot of confusion about this film, judging by the reviews and the low rating. As should be obvious to any halfwit, "Creature from the Haunted Sea" isn't meant to be taken seriously and it isn't trying to be gripping or suspenseful or scary. It is in fact a completely unhinged example of filmic surrealism and is closer to Alfred Jarry than to William Castle or any of Corman's other horror films. Personally I loved every character in this mess. I loved Carbone doing Bogie in The African Queen and the deckhand with his feral yelps and Mama (who looked like a cross between Della Reese and Juanita Hall) in her flowered tutu and the girl named Mango...it goes on and on. I liked especially the way the strange off-kilter and mostly bad acting kept undermining any sense of stability in the formation of the characters' personnae.

Too bad that the Latin stereotypes serve to date the film. But still, the Cuban military men are undeniably funny in the way that all bureaucrats, of whatever color or persuasion, are funny.

The sound quality is unfortunately very poor, and this film is in serious need of restoration. But for those who don't take these things seriously, you will encounter something remarkably original and yes, funny. Also check out "The Last Woman on Earth" which uses the same shooting locale and some of the same actors but overlays a basically simple post-apocalypse plot with ponderous existential musings.

Loads of quirky ideas

Author: Bruce Corneil from Melbourne, Australia
22 August 2003

Another Z- budget gem from Roger Corman . A playful and witty send up of horror thrillers mixing gangsters , fleeing revolutionaries and a sea monster .Some great hip dialogue together with loads of quirky ideas . Clearly , it's just meant to be a bit of fun and on that score it works well.

Monster movie and comedy with lack luster and budget

Author: ma-cortes
31 March 2006

This low-budgeted picture is a monster-movie concerning about a Government Agent ( Robert Towne ) chasing a gangster named Renzo Capeto ( Anthony Carbone ), a mobster likeness to Bogart who along with his fiancée ( Betsy Jones Moreland ) and underlings are aboard ship with a group of exiled Cubans . Renzo schemes a plot to invent a mythical sea monster to eliminate the Cubans and steal the national treasure .

The film is a horror comedy blending parody , humor and suspense . The comedy is absurd and cheesy but gets some fine moments here and there. The movie has storyline gaps and is an embarrassing mess badly developed .However , it gets some amusing gag as the animal imitator hoodlum and the phone cabin on the island . Incredible cheap special effects with ridiculous rubber monster is a man suited attacking the ship crew though also there are good underwater scenes. The main actors ( Towne,Carbone,Moreland ), technicians ( cameraman ,Jack Marquette ) and writer ( Charles B.Griffith ) will repeat with Corman in subsequent films as ¨ A bucket of Blood ¨ and ¨ Last woman on earth ¨. Robert Towne is a prestigious director ( Tequila sunrise and Without limits ) and writer ( Mission impossible, the firm, Two jakes, Days and thunder ) , . The pic belongs to monster movie sub-genre which Corman directed during the 50-60s as ¨ Attack the crab monsters ¨, ¨ It conquered the world ( an Alien from Venus ), ¨ Beast with a million eyes ¨( other Alien ), ¨ Wasp man ¨, ¨ Viking women and great serpent ¨ or even a carnivorous plant as ¨ Little shop horrors ¨ though Corman also produced as ¨ Night of the blood beast ¨ and ¨ Attack of the giant leeches ¨( Bernard Kowalski ) . Rating : Below average , it's a real turkey .

Decent drive-in surrealism.

Author: austex23 from Austin, Texas
27 September 2000

This is a film without any concept of quality. It makes a mockery of character, place, and plot, casually and thoroughly, almost subversive in its contempt for form and content. Have fun watching and thinking about the two or three days the cast and crew spent filming this and wondering exactly what they thought they were doing. Though it has slow moments, I have enjoyed this film all three times I've seen it. Underrated for sheer strangeness.

For Corman Devotees Alone

Author: Space_Mafune from Newfoundland, Canada
16 January 2003

Only if you can appreciate the offbeat sense of wacky humor Roger Corman brings to life in this film will you truly appreciate it..this is in many ways a spoof of the monster on the loose and the spy film genres but at the same time it also seems to be laughing at itself. Notably Corman makes a cameo in which that's all he does--smiles and laughs at this movie's ridiculous lead character - a numbskull secret spy government agent.

Clearly this film was never meant to be taken as seriously as some seem to take it. The biggest flaw with it however is it's too slow-moving...it takes forever before we get any kind of resolution. The highly entertaining rampage of the Monster at the end does make up for somewhat for the slow opening half. But once again I recommend this only for Corman staunchest fans.

A very misunderstood film.

Author: rcslone5 from United States
9 June 2009

So many people seem to believe that this was supposed to be a straight-up horror film. It is anything but that. Creature From the Haunted Sea is a broad farce first, a political satire second, and finally a horror film/creature feature third. In fact, the said creature in the title has barely a presence in this film at all.

Roger Corman obviously wanted to make a silly comedy with political undertones about the times, but always the businessman, he knew to throw in a monster and cool sounding title to bring in the ticket buying public. Folks need to realize when they watch this to not expect a nail biting thriller or blood curdling horror film. This is comedy all the way.

The film is about an American gangster who agrees to transport a couple of Cuban military officers and some of their men off the island after Castro's revolution. They also bring along a large part of the Cuban treasury. Also aboard the boat is an undercover spy for the American government, who is trying to figure out what all is going on. The gangster also has his girlfriend with him and a couple of hired hands, one of which is his girlfriends brother and the other a strange fellow who makes animal noises all the time. The gangster decides he would like the money the Cubans have brought along for his own and decides to bump them off one by one, blaming things on a local legend about a sea monster. Unfortunately for him, it turns out that the legend is true and there is really a sea monster.

The acting in this film is fine for what it is and the actors play their roles like they should. Its a Corman picture so you know its a cheapie, as the monster is one of the silliest looking creatures I have ever seen. I really didn't laugh at anything in the movie, though it caused me to elicit a small chuckle a couple of times. The picture moved along briskly enough and wasn't a bore, though it didn't thrill me either. My biggest gripe is that so many DVD companies who have released this try to pass it off as a serious horror film. Anyone expecting that will be sadly disappointed.

Not a terrible movie, but not what you would probably expect either.

Awfully Lame and Silly

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
30 December 2012

After the Cuban Revolution, the mobster Renzo Capetto (Antony Carbone) and his lover Mary-Belle Monahan (Betsy Jones-Moreland) transport a group of exiled Cubans led by General Tostada (Edmundo Rivera Alvarez) to the United States with a Cuban treasure to finance a counterrevolution against Castro. However, Renzo and his gang formed by Pete Peterson Jr. (Beech Dickerson), Happy Jack Monahan (Robert Bean) and Sparks Moran (Edward Wain), who is indeed the American Agent XK150, plan to steal the treasure from the Cuban people.

They fabricate a sea monster to change the course to San Juan and kill Cuban soldiers. However they discover that the creature does exist and is attacking them all.

"Creature from the Haunted Sea" is an awfully lame and silly Z-movie by Roger Corman. The comedy and the horror never works and the acting, direction, narration, effects and make-up are really dreadful. My vote is two.

Title (Brazil): "Criaturas do Fundo do Mar" {"Creatures from the Bottom of the Sea")

Awful!

Author: BaronBl00d (baronbl00d@aol.com) from NC
19 August 2000

I disagree with several of the other reviewers who state that this film is typical Roger Corman. It isn't. Films like Little Shop of Horrors and A Bucket of Blood are Corman quickies AND masterpieces, but this film was only a quickie and a stinker! It is awful in every fiber of its being. The production values are SO low that the film quality is grainy, the sound just audible, the sets and design pieces barely functional, and the acting...yes let's talk about the acting...the acting is incredibly bad by all concerned. In point of fact, there is not one good performance in the whole film. Anthony Carbone is wasted in the role of a gangster...the part too big for his supporting abilities I imagine. Betsy Jones-Moreland croons a song and throws dice through her scenes and utters lines with a complete lack of conviction. Robert Towne is unfunny and thoroughly unlikable in his role as a spy/secret agent aboard a ship carrying Cubans and their gold from Cuba. The worst performance, however, and I say this without any...ANY..hesitation is the guy that makes ridiculous animal sounds throughout the picture and is a jack-ass of epic proportions in every scene he is in. I mean this guy is so bad he couldn't be an extra in a Herschell Gordon Lewis picture! This film, plainly put, sucks!

so bad it's embarrassing

Author: princess919 from United Kingdom
23 December 2006

I am a huge fan of bad movies, my father and I regularly watch a movie because it has a terrible review.

There were many funny moments for example the lines "it was dusk I could tell 'cause the sun was going down" and "I did the only thing a trained American agent could, I got the hell outta there." But the whole movie felt somewhat pointless.

I know many people have stood up for the movie saying that it has real comedic value but this movie was so bad i just felt embarrassed watching it was actually painful. In the last ten minutes the movie does improve but I do think that, that may have been because most of the characters were dead.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]