IMDb > Atlantis: The Lost Continent (1961) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Atlantis: The Lost Continent

Atlantis: The Lost Continent More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Overlooked, hard to find and not too bad.

Author: TSMChicago from Palatine, IL
1 July 2003

I agree that this is not one of George Pal's stronger efforts, but it does have merit. The sinking of Atlantis at the conclusion still looks good today even though some of the shots of the burning city were taken from "Quo Vadis."

Near the end of the film Russell Garcia's music repeats an easily remembered motif from his "Time Machine" score.

Edward Platt's performance as High Priest Azor is one of the best in the film although I kept expecting someone to call him "Chief."

The writing is a little stiff as it always seems to be in these ancient times epics. The only real awkward moment is the bizarre chant the slaves recite as they twist the giant drill in order to speed the eruption of the volcano.

Very colorful sets and costumes along with the usual amount of special effects mayhem you would anticipate from George Pal. The lead f/x man was A. Arnold Gillespie who worked on "The Wizard of Oz" and "Gone With the Wind." The miniature sets and explosions are especially good.

An overlooked, above average spectacle from one of the best showmen working in Hollywood at the time.

If you hook a princess--throw her back.

Author: lemon993 from Staten Island, New York
2 June 2004

Here's a flicker that scared the bejesus out of me as a child. I had trouble understanding the overlapping of modern science with the ancient world. A Vernesque-style atomic submarine blew me away. And that solar laser--which vaporizes enemies of the state--defies logic. I hear there were scenes of men in flying machines that were cut. Why? One scene that was not cut involved a mad scientist experimenting with turning men into swine. Strange and scary stuff. And the costume designer went berserk with HIS creations. Watching the film recently I discovered my utter contempt for the lead female role. I felt sorry for the poor fisherman who saves the ungrateful princess from certain death. He, however, has only himself to blame. The princess whines, schemes and disparages his occupation right from the start AND in front of his father. And that's only the beginning. Later on, she has no problem casting him into slavery. Enough about her. The soundtrack is very rare because it is out of print--and costs a royal fortune. I just touched the surface with this well made and imaginative film. Look for it on cable somewhere--or visit Atlantis on your next vacation.

Imaginative adventure fantasy

Author: Rovin from Vancouver, Canada
6 May 2000

This film held up alot better than I remembered it. Sure, the acting isn't great, some of the dialogue is flat, the costumes and hats are ridiculous, but this film is enjoyable, especially if you gravitate towards exotic adventure stories with a greco-roman flavour. There's even a gladiator fight! Though it seems dated and cheap by today's standards, it had some nice set design and miniature work.

This would be a great contender for a remake, as long as they don't leave out my favourite elements: the monsters! Those scenes are still disturbing!

A fun movie

Author: hammjp from Harrisburg PA USA
26 March 2000

I first saw this film when I was a child. My friends and I were enamored of it, and played "Atlantis" for weeks after. Watching the movie with adult eyes, however, reveals that it is not George Pal's best work. Even so, it continues to have sentimental value for me and I do watch it occasionally. I still believe it to be a "fun" movie, real Saturday Matinee, popcorn and juju beads, sticky floor fun. Just turn off the brain, drop your expectations, and enjoy.

Fantasy or Allegory?

Author: de_niro_2001 from scotland
24 October 2001

I thought this film would be a bit of a turkey but it turned out to be very entertaining. There are echoes of the same director's The Time Machine and The War of the Worlds in it. It combines sci-fi with Greek mythology very well. Although it is very much a fantasy film the pre-title sequence where the narrator talks about the things in the Old World and the New whose similarity which must be more than coincidental is quite thought provoking and you wonder what the real reason was for there being cave paintings of elephants in America and paintings of witches being similar on both sides of the Atlantic. It was made in the early sixties and it seems also to be making a statement about nuclear power with one crystal being used for lighting and heat and another being used for destruction. That scene seems to be a veiled warning about controlling our technology and not letting it run away. The rulers of Atlantis seem also to be a metaphor for the Nazis with their ideas of racial superiority and their desire to conquer the world together with their use of slave labour. A good film for all the family.

Atlantis the Lost Continent

Author: mhrabovsky1-1 from michigan
2 January 2006

I remember seeing this film as a 14 year old in 1961 at a Saturday afternoon matinée...my brother and I were supposed to go to a Detroit Tiger baseball game but it was rained out...what to do? We went to see this movie and I have always remembered it and loved it. Back in the late 50s, early 60s Hollywood was putting out a lot of science fiction fantasy films, like "Seventh Voyage of Sinbad", "Jack the Giant Killer", "Mysterious Island" and all of the sword and sandal Hercules movies with Steve Reeves and other musclemen. What could you not like about this film as a kid? A beautiful princess, a submarine in the shape of a fish, giant monsters fighting our hero in a fire/water pit, animal men with bull heads and horns, a giant sea monster Neptune showing our hero and his princess through the pillars of Hercules on their way to Atlantis and plenty of evil sorcerers and villains. A good love story to boot with our hero Demetrious winning the love of his lady Antillia and getting out of Atlantis just before the submerging and destruction of the mythical land. Edward Platt who was on the TV show "Get Smart" as the chief in a role as a minister/prophet who foretells the doom of the fabled continent. I fell in love with Joyce Taylor, the princess Antillia way back then....only problem is that our hero, played by Anthony Hall looked like he could have used some time in the gym training with Steve Reeves. On the very thin side for a hero to fight giants and evil rulers. Great science fiction stuff for the 60s.

Possibly one of the finest movies ever made - thanks, George Pal!

Author: John Browning (sloopjohnb37@yahoo.com) from New Jersey
2 June 2003

Yes, yes. Actually, I encountered this movie first as a "comic book based on the movie" when I was 11 years old (in 1961). That comic book really made an impression on me! (Money well-spent from my paper route). Anyway, the part I like best is where the Atlanteans are making men into beasts by grafting snouts and horns onto them. Impressive! I can't work out whether its "Island of Dr Moreau meets Ulysses" or "Pinochhio meets Jason and the Argonauts". However, all of that doesn't really matter. Let's just say they don't make em like this no more. Stiff, Biblical-epic-style acting abounds.

Three cheers for George Pal!

"Hurry, hurry. Crystal be damned!!"

Author: Steve-Reeves
27 February 2002

One of the best movies of all time!!!

This movie has every element you could ever want in a film: a sense of wonder, epic scope, amazing settings, campy and tongue-in-cheek aspects, strong and caring relations between the characters, fantastic details, wonderful musical score, flawless effects, a very attractive leading man, a very sexy leading lady, and a quite flamboyant villain, played by John Dall, who has a striking chemistry with the leading man, Anthony Hall.

Ten out of ten is much, much too low to give this thrilling masterpiece.

Paul Frees All Over The Place

Author: HalfCentury (ellis11@sbcglobal.net) from SoCal
29 June 2003

Anyone else notice that Paul Frees, the worlds greatest voice, doesn't just do the narration. He is doing the voice for Demetrius' father. Weird accent and all. And the Princess' father as well! Which is strange since the actor playing him has such a distinctive, tired old man delivery that goes with his appearance much better than Frees voice. There can't be any argument Frees sounds more like a King. Pal obviously loved the guy. He's in every film Pal made from '53 on.

"There is nothing beyond the Pillars, the World Ends there"

Author: thinker1691 from USA
19 July 2007

Every since I was a boy, the works of George Pal has always been an inspiration. I can recall as a child, waiting patiently for his TV programs involving his enormously popular Puppet-toons. His films always touch the core of movie fans' imagination with such classics as, 'The Naked Jungle', 'The War of the Worlds' and my all time favorite, 'The Time Machine'. In this film, Pal reaches deep into the human Psyche and selects a fabulous story which originates in the ancient scrolls of Plato. Here a Greek Fisherman, Demetrios (Anthony Hall) nets a strange woman who claims to be from the mythical island of Atlantis. Unable to prevent her, she returns home where the Fisherman becomes a prisoner of the mightiest kingdom of all time. Promising himself, he will yet escape his chains, Demetrios meet Xandros (Jay Novello) an aging slave who made that claim years before. During his stay, he is not only permitted to witness the great wonders of Atlantis, such as a submarine and a powerful solar Laser, but is informed of it's impending doom by a sincere and penitent scientist/priest named Azor (Edward Platt). His stay is precarious and subject to change at the whim of Sonoy the Astrologer (Frank De Kova) and Zaren (John Dall) the chief adviser. The movie is entertaining and enjoyable, if slightly hampered by the personal ideology of the director who injects it into his work. Nevertheless, the films of George Pal, continue to fascinate audiences of all ages. Due to his expertise, this film serves to strengthen our continuous belief in the Legend of Atlantis. ****

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]