IMDb > "Mister Ed" (1958) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Mister Ed" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Delightful Series

Author: LP Spurlock (lpspurlock) from US!!
3 December 2001

I was browsing through and figured that I would try a search on some of the older movies/series I used to watch when I was younger.. what a delight to see that Mister Ed was part of them! I miss watching the series so much and I agree that Nick at Nite or some other provider should pick up the series and air it again. I can still remember some of the episodes (such as Ed surfing or the occasional way Ed would pick up a pencil that he used to dial a phone number with) and how much I looked forward to watching it every night. It would be great to see someone even make a movie out of it.. I would definitely go to see it! I would also recommend anyone to watch the series.. maybe you'll love it like I have for so many years!

Every heard of a talking horse? Well,listen to this........

Author: raysond from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
24 September 2003

This may have been one of the silliest shows of all time,but he spoke to a generation gap that continues to this day some 50 years after he went off the air,into syndication and this time around has found a new home with a new generation of people who can enjoy him today.........

The story goes like this:Married couple Wilbur and Carol Post buys a new home in the country and discovers a stall in the back yard with a lame horse named Mister Ed. However,the neighbors,The Addison's tells them that the horse was left behind by its previous owners,but this horse isn't like any other. You see,Mister Ed is owned by Wilbur Post,and when no one else is around he talks to Wilbur and does amazing things as well,but always manages to get Wilbur in trouble.

Mister Ed was one of the silliest shows of its day,but this show wasn't aimed at adults either. However,this show was aimed toward its targeted audience:CHILDREN since this show was designed for the kiddies,but the adults were watching it too. Based on the popular children's books by Walter Brooks,this show had it all even at times when Mister Ed always frustrate Wilbur to no end was fun to watch and getting into all sorts of mischief. It was crazy at times,but like the previous comment was made about this show may question the sanity of the TV executive who greenlighted this series about a talking horse was at the time just plain silly,since the executive producer of this series was no other than Al Simon,whom was behind the shows "The Beverly Hillbillies", "Green Acres","Petticoat Junction",and so forth that was produced under George Burns' production company McCadden Productions and Filmways Television. "Mister Ed" made television history as one of the few television shows that debut in national syndication to be pick up by a major television network. The series debut in national syndication for 26 episodes in black and white from January 5,1961 until July 2,1961. Then on October 1,1961 the series was picked up by CBS-TV for 130 black and white episodes airing until June 16,1965. Then in the show's sixth and final season a total of 13 episodes that were produced from September 12,1965 until February 6,1966. In all 143 episodes were produced in black and white. "Mister Ed" was gone by mid-season of 1966 and CBS replaced the series with another short-lived sitcom that aired in September of 1966.

The show was very keen in having great guest stars on it as well including on episode where Clint Eastwood was out of character during a segment which was very silly,but to see Clint in a comedical role was to be seen,and the other was with two of the stars of "The Beverly Hillbillies",actors Max Baer and Irene Ryan was hilariously funny. The others were Jonathan Harris,Jon Provost,and many others. As for the stars of the show,only actors Alan Young and Connie Hines remained throughout the series' entire run which ended on February 6,1966 after six seasons and 143 episodes all in black and white. However,the show had some moments as well with the changing of actors whom played the Addison's(Larry Keating and Edna Skinner,however,Keating passed away on the set after the second season in 1963 from failing health),and the Post's new neighbors,the Kirkwood's(played by Leon Ames and Florence Mac Michael)whom at times had to put up with some of the silliness the went on within the Post's residence,especially when Wilbur's wife Carol wasn't around. Not to mention Wilbur dealing with Carol's father(Barry Kelley)who thought the man she married was not quite right upstairs.

THE THEME SONG: A Horse is a horse,of course of course and nobody can talk to a horse of course,that is the horse,unless of course is the famous Mister Ed.... Go right to the source,,and asked the horse,and this one will you endorse he is always on a steady course,talk to Mister Ed........

Originally written on September 24,2003 and was completely revised on September 30, 2016 to commemorate with the show's anniversary.

Where are shows like this?

Author: Cyndi38 from New York City
25 October 2003

I was a young child when the show was originally on the air and I was an avid watcher. I loved the show then and I love it even better now that it has been restored. The shows were first aired on the CBS television network and along with the Munsters and the Adams Family it was one show that I never missed. These shows allowed us to escape the reality of what was going on in our changing world and allowed us to laugh. I still watch the show and I am so grateful to cacle TV to allow my son to enjoy the same shows that I loved so much as a kid. THANKS!

Totally Awesome!!!

Author: newsboys_Do_Disco from In the LORD's company, ALWAYS
8 November 2003

Being only 20, this show was before my time, but when my Nana and I started watching it, it struck a cord...

I'm used to the shows of today using crude and perverted "humor" as they call it and lame plots. but Mister Ed was different, the humor was actually funny and they always found something different to do and make it look practical and not always so outlandish. I sincerely believe that there was not a better man to play "Wilbur Post" than Alan Young, who had the mild manner attitude and "boyish" look to him that completed and made that character believeable. Allan Lane's voice was just perfect for the horse known as "Ed" (but who's real name was "Bamboo Harvester" or "Pumpkin" who was used for certain pictures and promotionals for the show)

This show is timeless and a classic and I am so glad to see it brought back on to television, though many of it's characters are with the LORD now: Larry Keating and Edna Skinner (The Addisons), Leon Ames (Col. Gordon Kirkwood), Allan Lane, Bamboo Harvester, Pumpkin (Ed's voice, the horse in the show, and the promotional Ed), but also happy to see that Alan Young and Connie Hines are still here!

If ever there was a show worth watching, this is IT...

silly, but harmless

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
1 May 2005

Wilbur Post (Alan Young) seems like an average person, with a wife named Carol (Connie Hines), a house, and a steady job as an architect, except for one thing: his horse.

As the theme song reminds us: "A horse is a horse, of course, of course..." But Ed is no ordinary equine. He talks, albeit only to his owner (Ed calls Wilbur "the only person worth talking to"). Not only does Ed talk, he causes all sorts of trouble, which always gets pinned on Wilbur. Whether eating Carol's tomatoes or pulling down neighbor Roger Addison's (Larry Keating) TV antenna, that palomino always has something up his sleeve, er...hoof. Oftentimes, Ed will do something around a stranger, causing a lot of confusion for the latter.

As for other aspects of the show, Wilbur somehow always has the worst luck, not even necessarily caused by Ed's tricks. Carol is truly one hot babe. Roger and Kay (Edna Skinner) can fluctuate between sour and good-neighborly. Overall, the show is pretty silly, but it's not doing any harm. I recommend it.

A Horse Of Course Of Course

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
20 February 2009

One of the sillier, but yet most beloved of comedy/fantasy shows that were so prevalent in the Sixties was that show about a talking horse, the famous Mister Ed. The talking palomino had a popularity with real children and those elusive children of all ages because of the skill of Alan Young making you really believe that a horse could talk with the voice of Allan 'Rocky' Lane.

I'm sure for retired B picture cowboys who weren't getting too much work in the Sixties, Mister Ed must have provided a few nice paychecks for someone not in demand to be a cowboy hero any more. Lane's voice was well integrated into the personality of the palomino of whom evolution seems to have taken a quantum leap.

The premise of the show was that Mister Ed would only talk directly to Alan Young as Wilbur Post, architect who set up his studio in the barn on his property so he could spend as much time as he could with his talking equine. I well remember in the pilot episode when Young acquired Mister Ed, the horse told him that he never felt like talking to anyone until he met Young whom he felt had a real love of animals. It was the love that came through every week.

Young was married to Connie Hines who for five years couldn't figure out what this thing between Mister Ed and her husband was. Neither could anyone else and that led to the plot of most of the episodes.

I have very fond memories of the show in my younger days. It was one of those shows that was in a totally make believe world. No politics or issues of social significance ever intruded on the world of Wilbur Post and Mister Ed. It was and is completely timeless, you could remake all the episodes today without too much trouble.

In fact Mister Ed's primary source of mischief was the telephone extension in the studio/barn where he could call out anonymously to the world. When that receiver was picked up you knew Alan Young was in for 30 minutes of trouble. Can you imagine today what Mister Ed could do with a personal computer? The mind boggles.

Though I can never see anyone ever with the gentle humorous style of Alan Young doing Wilbur Post today, I could be surprised. I'm willing to be.

GREAT show!!! - suitable for children and adults alike

Author: Josephine Bonett from Australia
2 October 2006

G'day

As a young girl, I used to see Mister Ed on free to air TV. Then as an adult, I saw the repeats and realised it was a fabulous show for all ages with it's excellent humour. Actually the humour would be more appreciated by mature people than very young children. Very clever scripts with witty dialogue.

I love horses but I'm sure Mister Ed wouldbe enjoyed by non-horsey people just as much as horse lovers. I would recommend the Mister Ed series to any age group. You grown ups out there, if you haven't watch any Mister Ed episodes, please do as it's definitely not just a show for children. Honestly!

Three examples of the humour:

(1) Kaye (with Roger behind her) runs in to tell Carol "Get your laundry, Roger is taking us to the cleaners". Carol says "That's nice of you Roger". Roger replies "That's the least I can do, she is always taking me to the cleaners".

(2) Mr Ed is listening in on the extension phone and Wilbur catches him and hangs up the phone, saying "That's the last time I'm telling you not to ears-drop". Mr Ed replies "Good, because I'm sick of hearing it".

(3) A new neighbour (who has been upset by Mr Ed but naturally he thinks it's Wilbur causing the problem) knocks on Wilbur's door. When Wilbour answers (Roger happens to be with him), the neighbour says with his fist ready to punch Wilbur "Do you want a punch". Roger says "The things they sell these days from door to door".

You will not be disappointed if you buy the Mister Ed DVDs.

(NOTE: I haven't made any spelling errors - we Australians spell some words different to how the USA spell them! Cheers from Josephine from Down Under.

An astounding moment of my life.

Author: David Ng
29 August 2003

Remembered watching is hilarious, yet adorable and entertaining, TV shows at Nick-At-Nike years ago. Some episodes are quite funny especially when Mr. Ed is acting strange. A great show for kids growing up as I remembered watching this with my family while picking up language skills. Just make sure they don't get too excited. "Mom! That 'horsee' talk." (Just an example.)

A silly but loveable show

Author: Craig Smith (matlock2) from Eau Claire, WI
22 January 2001

Mister Ed was one of those silly irrelevant shows that you had to love. You might question the sanity of the TV exec who green lighted a show about a talking horse, but watching Mister Ed frustrate Wilbur to no end was fun to watch. I really wish Nick at Nite would start showing Mister Ed again so the younger generation could take in this timeless and much maligned classic.

Loved it!

Author: Slopmaster4001 from Phoenix, AZ
16 September 2002

Being only 23 years old, Mister Ed was obviously was before my time. I however at an early age caught this LOL show on cable. I have to be honest the only two episodes that really stand out for me is the one with Mister Ed's kite and Clint Eastwood. Also being a huge fan of DVD I would like to see this series released on DVD someday soon because its just to classic to let it fade into TV history.

-SM