IMDb > Psycho (1960) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Psycho

Psycho More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 95: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

The best horror movie ever

Author: anonymous from 15 miles out of Fairvale...
18 June 1999

I have watched this film about four times now, and I can safely say that this is the best horror movie ever. The actors are the best thing about it. Anthony Perkins is superb as the shy, gorgeous, boyish Norman Bates. His twitchings and stammerings are scarily flawless, and the scene where the car stops momentarily sinking into the swamp, and he stares with a look of pure terror in his eyes, then ultimate relief when it continues are unforgettable. His "...I wouldn't even harm a fly" face at the end is inimitable. As for Janet Leigh, she couldn't have gotten into her part more. She looks genuinely desperate when confronted by the police officer. Hitchcock controls the audience as if he were pressing keys on a piano with this film. Everything is perfect about this film, and has become one of my personal favourites. If you haven't seen it, see it now.

One of the best horror movies I have seen.

Author: anonymous
18 May 1999

Let's face it, Alfred Hitchcock was a genius! He managed to capture the true demented character of Norman Bates. In the 90's Psycho does not seem to be one of the scariest movies around. But the way Hitchock managed the lighting and camera angles, made it so obvious why this movie became such a hit. I just saw this movie a few months ago, and even then, everyone I watched it with seemed delighted to scream again at the geinius of Alfred Hitchcock.

One of the scariest, and best horror films of all time!!

Author: Horormfn from Here
10 February 1999

Psycho is a pure classic, that along with Halloween is the scariest movie ever made. Anthony Perkins stars as the famous Norman Bates, who in fact is a psycho. Now how he comes in the story is this: Janet Leigh plays Marion Crane, she steals $40,000 from her boss, flees the town, and buys a new car. She decides to stay at a hotel, cleverly named The Bates Motel (Vacancy). Run by a timid, yet sweet man whose name is Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins), now this man, is attracted to this woman, asked her for dinner, she declines. Now for the most famous scene in a horror film, she decides to take a shower, while he watches. He hears his mom calling him, so he goes up and sees what's wrong. While Marion Crane is taking a shower, the mother comes down and brutally stabs her to death. After all this, and people start to notice that she is gone, her sister and her boyfriend, decide to check out this motel. They hire an investigator to look into it. He finds nothing wrong with the place. What happens to him? Well you'll have to see the movie. Anyway, the sister and boyfriend, investigate and find out what Norman Bates really is. The film is extremely well-acted, not to mention directed by the master himself, Alfred Hitchcock. All the cast-mates support a wonderful script, and make this lively, scary, and classic horror movie a must-see. A 10!!! Unrated/Rated R for intense violence and some brief nudity.

Hitchcock's masterpiece is the greatest thriller of all time.

Author: John Alexander Klim from Baltimore, Maryland
31 January 1999

Psycho is a movie with an incredible twist-turned plot that throws the audience's perspective of the film way out of proportion. It is Hitchcock's best, without a doubt. His nervous and jittery Norman Bates is outstanding. If you can guess the ending of this timeless classic, you are considered a genius in my opinion. I have watched this movie a number of times and still find it enjoyable to watch again and again, I also learn something new about the film every time I view it. Look for the various mentions of birds in the film (i.e. Marion Crane, stuffed birds). It is not a scary movie, so don't expect to be terrified of showers or of hotels-maybe this wasn't the case in 1960 though when the movie came out. It is more a thriller or a mystery, one that will still seem unsolved after you learn "who done it". #4 on my all time favorite list. It is excellence, 4 stars. -Jake Klim (jklim007@yahoo.com)

Truly the original horror movie of all times .

Author: Herr Nosferatu from Canada
13 December 1998

Psycho , Alfred Hitchcock's classic about a guy and his mother is the movie that is at the origin of all horror movies ever made . It is truly an experience to live !!!!!!!!!!!!

The music has a great part in this movie .

Anthony Perkins is the ultimate psychopath ever !!! He and his "mother " are the best killer duo ever produced.

The new version is good but not quite as great as the original.

Still I urge all movie lovers to see it , whether it's the original or the new version , GO SEE THIS ULTIMATE EXPERIENCE!!!

They cannot make it better!

Author: Dee-26 from Illinois
29 November 1998

This movie kept me on the edge of my seat, and made me afraid of the shower. And the music in this movie was incredibly intense. I don't think they can improve on this movie. We don't need to see more of the gory details to know what is happening.

One of the greats

Author: anonymous
26 November 1998

This film is without doubt a classic. One of very few films to maintain any sort of mystery and suspense despite its ageing. Some films stand the test of time, and Psycho is brilliant. It freaked me out when I first saw it, despite everything: black and white, actors I'd never heard of, and my first Hitchcock experience. If you haven't seen it, you're either too scared or haven't had the opportunity, but either way, you're doing yourself a great disservice.

The Greatest Movie of All Time!

Author: Thomas Steele (lokifen@hotmail.com) from Atlanta, GA
26 November 1998

I viewed this movie at the age of 9 years old. It has been my favorite movie ever since. Almost 20 years. The two movies that affected me most as a child were: "The Amityville Horror" (I've had more dreams about that house than any other thing..ever!) and "Psycho". After watching "Psycho", I never viewed ANYTHING as being 100% safe. No castles, no zombies, no monsters. Normal people in risky situations exposed before all. Everyone has skeletons in their closets. Even those who seem to be as harmless as a fly. (Such as Norman Bates). This movie not only changed the course of movie history, by killing off the apparent heroine 1/3 of the way through the film (making history) but, proved that their was absolutely NOWHERE to be totally safe. It revealed inner demons of the two main characters which reflect on the entire world and maybe the truest description of how the world really is. Deep down we all have these bad thoughts, but unlike Norman Bates, most of us can bottle them up inside and carry them to the grave.After all, "we all go a little mad...sometimes".

Creepy, Excellent, and Amazing Horror Flick! Best Thriller Ever!!

Author: BeamMeUp from Rockford, Michigan
4 November 1998

The first time I saw this movie it scared me incredibly. I have been an avid fan of the "Scream" movies since they first came out, and I must say, this movie surpasses them to be #1 on my favorite horror movies.

I wasn't expecting many scares from a movie made in 1960, but once again, Alfred Hitchcock proves why he is the Master of Suspense.

I don't know how the upcoming remake can accurately mimic the original's creepy and frightening feeling, but I'll still be there on opening weekend. BTW, make sure you watch the original BEFORE watching the remake.

I know you've heard it a thousand times, but if you haven't seen this movie, MAKE IT A TOP PRIORITY! It's simply incredible.

My favorite movie...

Author: Mike Salvati from New Jersey
3 November 1998

I think this is one of the best films ever made. It's a true classic. I have seen it over 20 times and I find something new in it every time I see it and it never gets boring. I'm really disappointed that they chose to remake it. But 50 years from now, people will remember the original and not the remake. A lot of people these days will be turned off by the movie because it's old and in black and white, but everyone should see. It's a technical marvel, Hitchcock was a wizard with the camera. There are also terrific performances by Janet Leigh and Anthony Perkins. This movie basically started the whole slasher film genre that John Carpenter kick-started in 1978 with Halloween. In addition to being a great movie, it's also one of the most influential ever made. Look at films like Brian DePalmas's Dressed to Kill and Halloween if you don't believe me.