IMDb > Psycho (1960) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Psycho

Psycho More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 92: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

What do I think of the movie Psycho(1960)?

Author: psycho-25 from Brockton, Massachusetts
28 November 1998

I saw this movie one day and I really liked it a lot. It became my favorite movie. After I saw this movie I started to like other horror movies. I think that Psycho is the best movie that was ever made. I will always like the original better than the remake that is coming out on December 4.

Madly the best thriller of all Time!

Author: alexisreaver2132 from United Kingdom
8 January 2008

A young lady, Marion,who decides to take $40,000 just received from a rich client goes on the run ending up taking refuge at a remote lonely motel and its creepy owner Norman Bates. Janet Leigh plays Marion Crane, wonderfully played and delivers a fine performing main iconic role. Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates is very seemingly charismatic on first impressions. Yet is very troubled and eccentric. Sneaky and sideways glancing. With his strange hobby of stuffing birds. All the characters are extremely detailed. The film has so many clever aspects. Atmospheric, orchestral, suspense, the music alone provides all of these essential key areas as well as the visual side. Then there's the mysterious, nagging, possessive mother of Bates who you don't see who dominates him. Strange how bird references come up in this, Hitchcock's fascination. Loved his cameo near the start. The shower scene comprises of utter genius in how it is shot. A stabbing, thrusting, shadowy figure relentlessly going crazy with a deadly blade. Marion's outstretched hand leaving a shocking farewell to her life cruelly ripped away. A close up of her eye, the final montage. Again it's extremely clever how the whole shower scene leaves a bitter taste yet never shows us anything in the regions of graphic violence. Leaves the audience, the viewer's mind to fill in the blanks. A shocker twist regarding the killer and a final revelation at it's peak. An intelligent film from the old master Alfred Hitchcock. Best thriller ever done.

Greatness

Author: lasherxl from Slightly North of Hell
3 September 2000

What more can be said about this, but it was Hitchcock at his very best. It made Anthony Perkins and Norman Bates both household names. Hitchcock changed the face of film making forever and no director will ever surpass his genius. Absolutely fantastic!!

One of the best movies ever made!

Author: revival05 from Sweden
19 April 2000

**Please excuse me for some spelling mistakes**

This is the BEST HORROR/THRILLER/SCARY MOVIE IN THE WORLD! I just love this movie! Since I am a true movielover I do not mind that it is in black and white at all. The actors were great and still today it is a bit creepy when the thievish Marion Crane chooses the wrong place to spend the night on (and the wrong shower, ha ha ha). Perkins is SO perfect as Norman Bates and the voice of mother really made me shiver. The movie is filled with classic lines that I won't forget even if I'll isolate myself for 20 years. For those who can't stand old movies, or are'nt any real movielovers this will be a sleeping pill. But for us with a good taste it will be a very good experience. Don't get me wrong, i mean ''The Blair Witch project'' for example is scarier than ''Psycho'' but ''Psycho'' is creepier and better than any other thriller!

Watch out for the remake from 1998, it really sucks!!!!!!

10 out of 10 OF COURSE!!!!!!!!

One to remember

Author: dieselh12 from Mass
29 March 2000

Well this movie still is one to remeber. Why.

Well it was the one that started all the slasher movies. It was the movie that inspired Halloween.

The characters in the movie are pretty good. The story was strong and some what powerful.

I also liked the setting and the dark skies and the rain. It made me relax

But it will always be the best black and while movie along side Night of the Living Dead

The film that started it all

Author: Dan Grant (dan.grant@bell.ca) from Toronto, Ontario
13 July 1999

Okay, I am mad. If a movie like Citizen Kane is considered to be the best film of all time simply because it invented techniques that had never been heard of before, yet the film ultimately sucked because it was boring, then why is Psycho not on the top 100 list. If you want to talk about a film that changed the way movies were made and how people viewed them, then Psycho is your film. And the good thing about Psycho is that it is entertaining. If you look at anyone from Spielberg to Carpenter to Craven, they all have to thank Hitchcock and Psycho for making the horror film what it is today. In Halloween, Dr. Sam Loomis is even named after one of the characters in Psyhco. But this film is not ever discussed when mentioning the greatest films of all time, and maybe it shouldn't be, but it sure did as much for cinema as Citizen Kane did.

I can honestly say that the shower scene in here is one of the best directed scenes in any movie. And for me to say that is quite substantial because I am generally not a fan of older films. But the sheer audacity of that scene and the horror that you witness and then feel is something that I can only imagine messed people up. I would imagine it is the same kind of affect that the opening scene of Jaws had on me. This film is a trend setter.

The other scene that I thought was brilliant was the one where the detective is stabbed at the top of the stairs and he falls down. That placement of the camera is so perfect that you actually feel like you are falling with him. There was a similar scene in Friday the 13th Part 2, and I'm sure Steve Miner has seen Psycho a few times and he emulated that scene purposely because it works so well.

For a film that is almost 40 years old, it really does hold up incredibly well to even the best of todays crop of horror films. But to me this is the film that started it all. If you were afraid to go in the shower after this film, then no one was going to blame you.

If anyone hasn't seen this film, go, rent it tonight. Check out a great film and how it manipulates us. It is a masterful job of story telling done with near perfection.

PSYCHO A true classic

Author: joannalou (joann.logan3@ntlworld.com) from UK
27 April 2000

What a movie.PSYCHO is my all time favourite movie . Great performances from all the cast . I believe Anthony Perkins should have won an Oscar for his chilling performance as Norman Bates . Alfred Hitchcock's best film . I first saw this movie when I was just 10 years old . It was the first adult movie my parents would let me watch and I loved it . If you've not seen this movie you have missed a true classic . I would rate it 10++ .

Timeless thriller that will keep even the Generation-X'ers on the edge of their seats.

Author: MovieMarauder (BuddyRey@gmail.com) from North Carolina
18 April 2000

Three years ago at the tender age of thirteen, I watched this great film, and loved it from beginning to end! Not only does it sport a fantastic cast of old character actors (Vera Miles, Jeanette Nolan, Martin Balsam etc.), but the classic, instantly recognizable, scissor-like score is one of Bernard Herrmann's best since his days with CBS, composing for Rod Serling's the Twilight Zone! You must see this film, especially if your an old-film nut like me.

The Best In Its Time

Author: horrorkid87 from USA
18 November 2000

This movie is the best movie by Alfred Hitchcock ever. That is hard to do to. Because he did all the good scary movies back then such as Rear Window and The Birds. I loved it I own the movie and parts 2 and 3 I like the shower scene. Another good thing about this movie was that it had a good back ground the motel off the main highway and the creepy old house on the hill behind the motel this was scary for its time but not now. However it still is a real good movie a classic. The remake was ok but it can't match to this one.

A classic. Hitchcock's greatest film. Everything is perfectly done and the film has the most famous scene in movie history you know the scene "The Shower Scene".

Author: Brian-272 from Oakwood, Virginia USA
4 November 2000

Hitchcock's 1960 classic Psycho has it all to start with romance, embezzlement, disappearance, secrets, voyeurism, a dead corpse, a split personality of a man who thinks from time to time he's his dead mother and of course death in the most famous scene of all time the scene of Janet Leigh getting stabbed to death in the shower. The first time I saw Psycho as a kid and seeing the shower scene it terrified me so much I actually became afraid to take a shower I had great fear of getting stabbed to death even in my own home. As any child would do myself included they grow away from the terror of scare scenes as age increases, but recently I have looked at the famous shower scene from a different perspective. Many are unaware but it took seven days to shoot the shower scene, seventy camera positions for the forty-five seconds of very famous footage not an actual bare breast or plunging knife is to be found in the final cut, just illusion through montage. Now I begin my discussion on montage for those who don't know it's meaning or importance. Montage is a distinct type of editing that brings more drama to film and it links shots of film together and the editing separates and makes a film different from other forms of art. Montage was developed from the Soviet Union. Montage was used in very distinct ways in Psycho mostly crafted from Russian editor and director Eisenstein whose editing technique clashing of images or more properly known as a graphic match in film. Actually both similar terms can be explained first clashing of images create conflict just as in the shower scene the images flashing quickly of the knife and Janet Leigh's body symbolize the action and drama of the film while tied to the music of the Psycho shower scene. The term graphic match is very symbolic to show that life goes down the drain. To explain in the shower scene as Janet Leigh is stabbed and her body slides down with the shower curtain breaking the camera does a very close angle shot of her eye and then the camera slowly but surely makes it way to the blood and water flowing down the drain to symbolize death. This is a great example of graphic match it does exactly what it says by taking two unlike objects as in this case an eye and a drain of a tub to compare the action and drama that just unfolded in a scene with blood and water going down the drain symbolizing death while the eye open and an open drain show that life is no more. Finally enough about the famous shower scene everyone should know by now the story and technique behind it and how it was done to perfection, but I end my discussion of the scene I don't what you to think that your in a cinema history class! Hey don't forget how great a film Psycho is it has several other good reasons for it's classic ranking besides the shower scene with montage to start the intelligent directing of Alfred Hitchcock he simply was the master at keeping people in suspense and Psycho is full of suspense from start to finish. Also another interesting moment is to notice Hitchcock as the pedestrian outside the office in the very first few minutes of Psycho it was common for Alfred to make small appearances in his movies. And Anthony Perkins was great as the best and most liked Psycho character of our time the famous Norman Bates. The character had such intelligent wit and yet evil twisted means. So make reservations to the Bates Motel you will enjoy this classic of strange happenings at a rundown motel. I added this movie to my video library just this year and I recommend that anyone add Psycho to a personal movie collection of their own. After 40 years and beyond we all still have the right to go a little mad.