IMDb > Hand in Hand (1961) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

hand in hand

Author: wigz69 from daventry, england
18 June 2006

I am so thrilled to read the lovely comments on this little film. the reason being, I was the little girl who played Rachel all those years ago. I am now a middle aged lady with three grown children of my own. I live quietly,but busily. My children may be grown,but they always seem to need me. I am very lucky. What a privilege to have read such heartwarming comments,I didn't think anyone remembered. My family have seen stills of various films I was in, but have never been able to show them Hand in Hand, which I have to admit, was my favourite. I would love them to see it, it could still be relevant today. THANK YOU SO MUCH. Your kind words really mean a lot to me.

The Best !!

Author: urchin_4neptune from United States
8 June 2005

I am 45 years old, and I have NEVER been able to get this film out of my mind! I was a child of 10 when I'd first watched it, on a Saturday morning..and I am thinking it was on a morning children's film festival. Like a previous comment stated, this film HAS AN IMPACT on those who view it. I would love to find it on video and enjoy it over and over again. I recall feeling touched- very moved, and for a child of that age, for a television film to do such a thing, I believe is pretty much a rare occurrence. All this time and for a movie to remain in my mind? You tell me how great it must be!! It was wonderful to have the experience of seeing interaction between 2 children of the opposite sex and opposed religions. I cannot believe I found this site, and info about the film that has stayed in my heart for 35 years. Amazing!!!

Hand In Hand Should be on VHS or DVD

Author: dnels from Dallas, Texas
19 August 2005

Hand in Hand shows that friendship can surpass any other barrier. It also shows how a child feels when he discovers that people are different. This is an excellent movie which should be put on either VHS or DVD This is a movie that helps both children and older people understand differences between people of different backgrounds. Michael wants to be Rachels friend and then he discovers how different their backgrounds are and feels that his friendship with Rachel is threatened because of that fact. I saw this movie when it first came out in 1961 and saw it again when it was shown on the Children's Film Festival in 1967 and again in 1968 and 1972. I have not seen it since but I can recall the scenes and the duologue as if I had gone seen the movie yesterday.I would not hesitate to recommend this movie to anyone

A Plea to Release This Film on DVD/Video

Author: Clyde Dodge from Corona del Mar, CA
2 July 2003

I went to see this movie, "Hand in Hand", as a second billing with Walt Disney's "The Moon Spinners" when that film was first released. I can honestly say that this film affected me in a profound way that no film ever had before or has since.

I was so enthralled by the film that I talked my father into taking me to see it again, so I could take notes on it! I wrote down the events in the plot as they transpired on the screen. What I can remember about the film now is the feeling that it captured perfectly the emotion of love as a child experiences it.

I have always wanted to see this film again, but it never plays on television or in art house theaters. It would be my number one candidate for the honor of "Lost Treasure." I would love to see this film released on DVD and video.

Lovely little film on religious tolerance

Author: overseer-3 from Florida
10 June 2003

The acting of the children who play Michael and Rachel really make this 1960 British film work. Other characters appear to be stereotypical (i.e. the parents, the rabbi and priest) to a large extent, but the children's' performances are outstanding. It's a wonder they didn't do more with their careers after this film, particularly Phillip Needs, who played Michael. Watch his face early on, when he realizes that taunting the little girl at school is wrong. He backs away from the group, then grabs her and rescues her. And later, when he confronts Rachel angrily and yells "Why did you kill Christ?" She answers: "I didn't! I didn't kill anyone!" And it's true. The Romans executed Christ, not the Jews. Pontius Pilate could have always said "no", and left it at that. But of course, the scripture had to be fulfilled.

This is a film I love to show to my own children on a regular basis, to help them understand that God is love, not hate. I have wonderful memories of my parents renting this 16 mm film again and again from the local library in the 1960's when I was growing up. They would show it for the children in the neighborhood, who all came from different religious backgrounds. It was always a favorite and now is a favorite in my own library of films.

An unforgettable gem

Author: jpb58 from United States
21 August 2005

This is a film for your childhood and your children's childhood. It is a love story between a little Jewish girl and a little Roman Catholic boy. I think adults viewing it will have different perceptions of it, since they've had decades of prejudices to deal with before they can come to this film openly and honestly, with a child's vision and perception.

I first saw Hand in Hand when I was a child in the 1960's and I remember being so moved by the children reaching out to one another despite the prejudice that surrounded them, and learning crucial lessons about God's love. The film is clever in that the prejudices are not stated overtly, but are more subtle (i.e. the mother of the little Catholic boy saying to her husband about Rachel, the little girl, "You wouldn't think she was Jewish, would you?"). Other things that strike me about this 1960 film are that 1) Michael the little boy says to an adult that their parents will not be worried about them as long as they are home before dark. Today you can't let your children out of your sight for 15 minutes, much less an entire day! and 2) Michael goes running to his priest for comfort and understanding and not his parents, and throws himself into the priest's arms! In today's world, with today's headlines of abuse, parents would not be comfortable with that action either! How the world has changed since 1960, and not for the better.

I would recommend that this film be made more available to families with young children. If they can see it before age 10 it will leave an indelible impression. I have an excellent digital transfer of this film in my collection, with none of the defects that are seen in that crummy bootleg tape that's floating around the internet. It makes all the difference in the world to see a nice print.

childhood's innocence

Author: prettynoose59 from United States
23 June 2005

Like many others I first saw this film on "The Children's Film Festival" on a Saturday afternoon. I must have been 6 or 7 and I loved it! Many years later a friend of mine was humming a tune that I regocnized as the charming melody from the film. "Do you remember that movie?" I asked. "Oh yes." He replied "Hand In Hand" We both smiled. He had grown up in a very small town next to mine and gone to different schools, but it was touching that we were both sitting in front of our television sets on the same Saturday afternoon watching this lovely film. I was actually able to tape it back in 1988 off of Showtime, I just watched it again last night and it still moves me. Loretta Parry and Phillip needs were so good! I brought so many memories! Good ones.

Remembering my childhood

Author: Joe M.Cervantes Jr. (EBAM4EVER@aol.com) from Tacoma, Washington
16 June 2001

I saw this movie as a child and have never forgotten it.I was raised Catholic and rememebr having a crush on the little girl across the street.She was Jewish.We played everyday and we had a special bond.Everytime I think of this movie, I am reminded of her and our precious innocense in the world around us.I hope she is doing well in her life.I would really love to obtain a copy of this movie.Lets all remember that we live together in this world and that we can walk with each other through it,"Hand In Hand"!!!!!!!

One of my favorites...

Author: (brian2001@deepspacenine.com) from Colorado, USA
22 May 2001

I saw this film a number of times when before I was 10 years old. It is such a beautiful film in every aspect. The writing, acting, directing is all excellent. I only wish it would be released on video. Many children I believe would benefit from seeing this film as I did. In the end, a person watching this film learns the value of looking at the beauty within each person, regardless of their background.

Very memorable

Author: Gary M. James from United States
26 January 2007

It is amazing how powerful films can be to a child. Upon reading the numerous reviews and postings of the wonderful movie "Hand in Hand", it is interesting how many of the writers who are probably in the same age bracket and, at least in the U.S., remember this movie airing on the CBS Children's Film Festival on a Saturday afternoon. I guess one can thank CBS, Kukla, Fran (Allison), Ollie and Burr Tillstrom for introducing this powerful film on religious understanding and tolerance within the friendship of two young children.

I remember Rachel and Michael (Loretta Parry and Philip Needs). Even though the film was probably 7 or 8 years old when I first saw the movie on TV, I can relate to them as a child. Perhaps because of how they were raised and the different religions they were taught, the children were a bit suspicious but after a while they got to know each other. What still gets to me after so many years is how misunderstanding and seeing people just as what their were raised can get in the way of seeing others as human beings.

There is a sense of curiosity and wonder getting to know someone who was raised from a different religion and that curiosity begets friendship and, ultimately, understanding. As directed by Philip Leacock (who would later direct numerous TV shows including Route 66, Gunsmoke and The Waltons) and written by Diana Morgan (from a story by Sidney Harmon), Hand in Hand is a sensitive and powerful film.

I am not a fan of remaking great films. But consider the state of religion in the U.S. and the world and how many conflicts occur for the sake of religion. With the right screenwriter, director and cast, I think Hand in Hand could be adapted to the current day. Until then, I concur with others on releasing this wonderful film on DVD.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]