IMDb > G.I. Blues (1960) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

G.I. Blues More at IMDbPro »

Silly and Naive, But Elvis, His Songs and Juliet Prowse Make It Worth

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
12 June 2006

In Frankfurt, the G.I. Tulsa McLean (Elvis Presley) bets all the money his friends Cookie (Robert Ivers) and Rick (James Douglas) and he are saving to buy a night-club of their own in USA that his mate Dynamite will seduce and spend a night with the untouchable cabaret dancer Lili (Juliet Prowse). When Dynamite is transferred to Alaska, Tulsa has to replace him in the bet, but he falls for Lili and tries to call off the game.

"G.I. Blues" is a silly and naive story, being a pretext to see and hear Elvis Presley only. But I believe every fan of this great singer will appreciate his songs and his chemistry with the charming and sexy Juliet Prowse. This movie certainly is not a masterpiece, but is very enjoyable and a worthwhile entertainment. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Saudades de um Pracinha" ("Missing a G.I.")

Elvis in an Army Tank

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
13 September 2014

You can always tell a good Elvis movie from a bad one, and "G.I. Blues" ranks as one of his better efforts. The story boils down basically to Elvis gets the girl no matter how reluctant she may be. This time he pursues the gorgeous Juliet Prowse. Prowse plays an eligible, single, white, female named Lili who puts on quite a floor show in the German nightclub where she dances. Elvis is in the military—as he was briefly in real life—but this time he is Tulsa MacLean, a member of a U.S. Army tank battalion. The G.I.s challenge him to a bet that he cannot spend a night alone with Lili, and Tulsa embarks on the arduous task of romancing this iceberg. Predictably, the Pelvis wins the wager, but he doesn't do it in an obnoxious fashion. Indeed, his behavior is that of a gentleman, and he impresses Lili with his good manners while his drooling buddies watch from afar. "G.I. Blues" was his fifth cinematic outing, coming between Michael Curtiz's above-average "King Creole" and one of his finest westerns Don Siegel's "Flaming Star." This was his sixth outing with director Norman Taurog, the most prolific of Elvis's directors with nine films films to his credit. The Germany scenery is nice. "Donovan's Reef" writer Edmund Beloin and "A Visit to a Small Planet" scribe Henry Garson drum up some good dialogue in this lightweight but entertaining romantic comedy.

"With me, romancing a girl is a hobby, not a business."

Author: classicsoncall from Florida, New York
15 February 2014

Funny, but when Elvis and The Beatles were hot I didn't care very much for them. Today I can appreciate their music on a whole different level. Now with Presley, the films are another thing. No one's going to claim this is Oscar caliber stuff, so that's not the reason anyone is going to tune in.

When I counted them off, there were ten tunes performed by Elvis in the story, not counting the one in the shower. That one actually didn't sound very good, but then he got rolling with the title song along with his band members Ricky (James Douglas) and Cookie (Robert Ivers). The story line is loosely built around the idea that Presley's character Tulsa wants to buy a night club back in the States once they muster out.

I can't remember the last time I saw Juliet Prowse, but it has to be on one of those ubiquitous variety shows back in the day. She can really wow 'em when it comes to her dance routines, and it helps that her legs go all the way to there. Prowse joins Presley in a duet on a ski lift doing 'Pocket Full of Rainbows', but it sounded to me like her voice went through a synthesizer.

As for The King himself, he sounded great (except for the shower), and I thought 'Wooden Heart' was done pretty creatively with the puppet routine. But the best was his last number 'Do You Ever Get One of Them Days, Boys?", flexing those Elvis knees that made all the girls go gaga way before there was anyone going by that name. This is a fun flick and should appeal to Elvis fans, with an actual nod to 'Blue Suede Shoes' when a fellow G.I. makes a selection on the juke box.

Blues is Pretty Upbeat

Author: Greg Treadway (treadwaywrites) from United States
8 January 2009

When you have Elvis Presley in a movie is there a need to have a plot or do you just stick him on screen and say GO! That's not really fair. Though there is most certainly a formula to making an Elvis picture there is also a lot of talent that went into each movie. Not the least of that talent was Elvis himself. All the Elvis movies have both a timeless quality to them while also presenting an innocence of a film-making age. Hal Wallis, who directs many of the Elvis films also directs Blue Hawaii which is a better followup to GI Blues.

The reason to watch G.I. Blues is not the story, the cinematography nor the direction even though all three are done with precision and no overkill. The reason to watch is Elvis. This movie was made in 1960 when The King was at his prime and starting to feel comfortable on screen. His performances are excellent, musical numbers that is, and we're all lucky to have them captured. The movie and Elvis are full of charm and you wonder at times how much Elvis' real life was mirrored with all that charm-like atmosphere around him. ***/**** (for an Elvis flick).

On a side note if you find an original poster of this movie, call me.

G.I. Blues

Author: Jim Colyer from Nashville, Tennessee
22 July 2007

Elvis Presley's first movie following his discharge from the Army. He was accepted now, mainstream. Elvis was stationed in Germany, and G.I. Blues is set there. Germany is part of the "Elvis Presley trail" I envisioned myself going down. Juliet Prowse is the showgirl, famous for her legs. She is Elvis' equal and makes the film worthwhile. Speaking of Juliet, Elvis said, "She has a body that would make a bishop stamp his foot through a stained glass window." Elvis served in the the Army, 1958-60. He was drafted in peace time. He was too young for Korea and too old for Vietnam. This bit of luck made his fabulous career possible. His service was in contrast to Cassius Clay's resistance a few years later.

Decent

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
12 January 2009

G.I. Blues (1960)

** 1/2 (out of 4)

Better than average Elvis vehicle has him playing a G.I. who dreams of one day owning his own nightclub. He makes a bet with some older soldiers that he can take out a dancer (Juliet Prowse) but soon he starts to have feelings for the woman and wants out of the bet. Elvis' comeback film is a pretty good one even though there are still a few weak moments. For the most part the film is charming enough to keep itself going from start to finish even though the thing runs a tad bit too long. Elvis must have been very comfortable in the role of a G.I. because I've never seen him as relaxed in a role. He actually does a pretty good job here and comes off very natural and gets to show off some of his sense of humor. It goes without saying that this film wanted to cash in on The King's military career and for the most part they nail him in the role. The supporting players are equally impressive and add a lot as well. Prowse is very sexy in her role and manages a good performance. The film stealers for me were Robert Ivers and Leticia Roman as the sidekicks. Ivers has a great comic timing and makes for several funny sequences. The music numbers here are all rather hit and miss with none of them what I'd call classic Elvis. I thought the use of Presley's "Blue Suede Shoes" was a nice touch as was the sequence with Elvis trying to babysit. The film is certainly lightweight and predictable but it does have enough charm to make it worth watching and I'm sure the girls in 1960 were passing out at the site of Elvis in the shower.

Decent Elvis fare with some standout songs...

Author: Scott Macleod from WESTFIELD MA. USA
1 October 2003

Decent Elvis fare with some standout songs {Tonight Is So Right For Love,Shoppin'Around,G.I.Blues},a fairly funny script and good production values.Elvis and Juliet Prowse have excellent chemistry and easily carry the film through it's weaker moments.

G.I. Blues Reviewed

Author: tilloscfc from Wirral, England
18 July 2015

One of my favourite Elvis movies since I was 6 years old! Having just completed a two year stint in the U.S. Army, Elvis Presley's first movie back was, inevitably I guess, a movie about an American Singer-Soldier stationed in Germany. The leading lady is Frank Sinatra's then girlfriend Juliet Prowse, whom Elvis (as Tulsa McLean) has been bet a small fortune from another division within the Army, that nobody can pull the dancing "iceberg". Being Elvis...a charming, not bad looking individual, Tulsa is nominated to attempt to the pulling and win the money for the troops. Despite a few obstacles, such a house mate who just happens to land Tulsa's best pal within the Army on the same night, Tulsa finally succeeds following a string of dates (and songs!) with the only problem being that he has fallen for the red headed beauty for real, not just for the bet... G.I. Blues is an enjoyable, fun, witty movie with a good pace that flies by. It's backed up even further by Elvis' best soundtrack - G.I. Blues the album was Elvis' best selling album through his career. 'Wooden Heart' was the big hit, but songs such as 'Shoppin' Around' , 'Tonight's So Right For Love' and 'Pocketful of Rainbows' really stand up as some of Elvis' best songs (of many 'best songs'!)

Can someone hand me my soap?

Author: Rene D from Netherlands
5 July 2015

This Elvis movie, the first one after his discharge from the army (and after the Sinatra Timex Special) simply is one of the better ones from his sixties movie career. And by that I mean, the movies with say 12 songs, like he used to make them.

Sure, this one has a lot of music, but the setting for those songs is just right, and even if one does not like a song like Wooden Heart, seeing it midway this story, it works very well.

Elvis as we all know spent his army years in Germany, Bad Nauheim and Friedberg. But we never see Elvis himself actually in Germany in this movie. Yes, it seems like we do, but no, Elvis did not make a movie outside of the US.

Elvis plays Tulsa, a GI stationed in Germany, like he was in real life, and he has a combo with 2 army buddies, not including the sergeant, one that they pull jokes on.

Can somebody hand me my soap during the shower scene sums it up pretty well. The guys all throw their soap at the Sergeant. A scene that always made my dad laugh, and me too.

The movie of course is a musical comedy with lots of scenes like that. Real Hollywood Elvis style, but not as slick or "cheap" like later years, the years Elvis started to dislike his own movies.

Juliet Prowse as the female lead is just perfect, and she works well with Elvis. They both look great, and she was just perfect for that part back in those days.

Songs: of course as I mentioned Wooden Heart, the number one hit worldwide. But also good ones like the title song, and Frankfurt Special, Shopping Around, Doin The Best I Can and What's She Really Like, Didja Ever and more.

Fun part is the song Blue Suede Shoes, which Elvis recorded himself of course. It is played on a jukebox when Tulsa (Elvis) is singing. That guy who put it on wanted the original. Of course that ends in a fight.

I could go on about this movie, but I will say this for now (my first review on IMDb) if you like Elvis and his music, this is one to see. It has all the fun you would expect from an Elvis movie from that era.

Great stuff!

The interest lies more in the music than in the characters or storyline

Author: James Hitchcock from Tunbridge Wells, England
12 September 2013

"G.I. Blues" was the first film Elvis Presley made after his release from the army in 1960, and, appropriately, has an army theme. Elvis here plays Specialist Tulsa McLean, a tank crewman serving with the U.S. Army in West Germany. In some ways this film looks forward to the sort of musical comedies which Elvis was to make later in the sixties. Many of these had an exotic setting and seemed to function as travelogues as well as musicals. What Elvis was later to do for Hawaii in "Blue Hawaii", for Mexico in "Fun in Acapulco" and for Nevada in "Viva Las Vegas!" he does here for Germany. In 1960 Americans were no doubt used to films about Nazi Germany, but the country we see here is not the defeated enemy of fifteen years earlier but America's new democratic ally, shown as an idealised land of old timbered houses, romantic vistas of the Rhine, foaming mugs of lager and pretty Frauleins in dirndl skirts. No doubt the German Tourist Board was suitably grateful.

Like most characters played by Elvis, Tulsa is a keen singer, and his great ambition is to run his own nightclub when he leaves the army. In order to obtain some of the money needed for this venture, he accepts a bet that he can spend the night with a local nightclub dancer named Lili. Lili has a reputation for being "hard to get", but Tulsa, like most characters played by Elvis, turns out to be irresistible to women, and it is not long before romance starts to blossom. There are also subplots about romances involving two of Tulsa's buddies, one (Cookie) with Lili's Italian flatmate Tina and another (Rick) with a local girl named Marla. Rather unusually for a light-hearted musical comedy from this period, Marla is an unmarried mother; when Production Code Hollywood dealt with the subject of unmarried motherhood it generally did so in the context of some deeply serious, moralising movie.

"G.I. Blues"  was a success at the box office, but Presley' s film career seemed to be going in a different direction when he followed it up with two more serious films, "Flaming Star" and "Wild in the Country", in both of which he concentrated more on acting and less on music. Neither, however, was as successful at the box office as "G.I. Blues", which in many ways serves as a template for the "pretty girls and pretty scenery" type of musical comedies which were to provide Elvis with his comfort zone during the rest of his cinema career from "Blue Hawaii" onwards. The main difference is that "G.I. Blues", musically speaking, relies rather more on rock music and rather less on than the easy-listening style than do the likes of "Blue Hawaii" and "Frankie and Johnny". (The film's best-known number, however, is "Wooden Heart", derived from a German folksong). Elvis's leading lady here, the glamorous, leggy Juliet Prowse, makes more of an impact than do some of her rather anonymous successors, and her role as a nightclub dancer gives her a chance to show off her own dancing skills.

Interestingly this is one of the few films to play games with the normal convention that, except when making cameo appearances as "themselves", film stars are not referred to in the films in which they appear. While performing in a bar Tulsa discovers a record called "Blue Suede Shoes", sung by one Elvis Presley, on the jukebox. I wonder who he was. Other examples of this sort of game include "His Girl Friday", in which Cary Grant makes a quip about his co-star Ralph Bellamy, and "Ocean's Twelve" in which one character's physical resemblance to Julia Roberts is an important plot point. Roberts, of course, plays the character herself.

The banal plot, underdeveloped characterisation and lack of any great acting performances mean that "G.I. Blues" is unlikely ever to be regarded as a classic of the cinema. As with most Elvis films, the interest lies more in the music than in the characters or storyline. At least the film has more heart and spirit than a number of later Presley movies, such as "Frankie and Johnny" and "Paradise Hawaiian Style", and the star himself is more animated and less wooden than he was to be in some of those offerings. And Prowse is always worth watching, especially while dancing. 5/10

A goof. The German for "Fritz loves Emma" is not, as the scriptwriter obviously believed, "Fritz liebe Emma" but "Fritz liebt Emma". After me, class- Ich liebe, du liebst, er liebt.....