IMDb > G.I. Blues (1960) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
G.I. Blues

G.I. Blues More at IMDbPro »

"With me, romancing a girl is a hobby, not a business."

Author: classicsoncall from United States
15 February 2014

Funny, but when Elvis and The Beatles were hot I didn't care very much for them. Today I can appreciate their music on a whole different level. Now with Presley, the films are another thing. No one's going to claim this is Oscar caliber stuff, so that's not the reason anyone is going to tune in.

When I counted them off, there were ten tunes performed by Elvis in the story, not counting the one in the shower. That one actually didn't sound very good, but then he got rolling with the title song along with his band members Ricky (James Douglas) and Cookie (Robert Ivers). The story line is loosely built around the idea that Presley's character Tulsa wants to buy a night club back in the States once they muster out.

I can't remember the last time I saw Juliet Prowse, but it has to be on one of those ubiquitous variety shows back in the day. She can really wow 'em when it comes to her dance routines, and it helps that her legs go all the way to there. Prowse joins Presley in a duet on a ski lift doing 'Pocket Full of Rainbows', but it sounded to me like her voice went through a synthesizer.

As for The King himself, he sounded great (except for the shower), and I thought 'Wooden Heart' was done pretty creatively with the puppet routine. But the best was his last number 'Do You Ever Get One of Them Days, Boys?", flexing those Elvis knees that made all the girls go gaga way before there was anyone going by that name. This is a fun flick and should appeal to Elvis fans, with an actual nod to 'Blue Suede Shoes' when a fellow G.I. makes a selection on the juke box.

Very enjoyable Presley flick

Author: Bjorn (ODDBear) from Iceland
12 August 2010

Though this movie sealed Elvis's fate as to what kind of films he'd be churning out by the dozen; it's hard not to like it.

Elvis is thoroughly charming as Tulsa, an American GI stationed in Germany. He takes part in a rather despicable bet as he claims he can "defrost" a sultry dancer (Juliet Prowse). He succeeds in charming her but, to his own surprise, also falls for her.

Well, the story's simple - but it sets the stage for some truly entertaining Presley songs and some knockout dancing by the charming Juliet Prowse who also gives a good performance. The film is energetically made and the usual Presley "possé" is fairly likable here.

There's no denying the fact that the "defrost" bet is very tasteless but Elvis's character sidesteps it quite nicely. Here Elvis plays basically the same character as in his subsequent films; a mischievous lad, wholly independent, with a surprisingly strong moral sense and prone to landing in at least one bar fight. But this is the first light-hearted Presley flick and he looks like he's enjoying himself and the songs really are top notch. "Tonight is so right for love" and "Shopping Around" are among many highlights here and it's very funny to see a guy in a bar pick "Blue Suede Shoes" on the jukebox by some rocker named Elvis Presley (and that lands him in a fight with...well, Elvis).

Although "G.I. Blues" laid the groundwork for some inferior films to come it's a very pleasant film and comes recommended to more than just hardcore Presley fans.

Blues is Pretty Upbeat

Author: Greg Treadway (treadwaywrites) from United States
8 January 2009

When you have Elvis Presley in a movie is there a need to have a plot or do you just stick him on screen and say GO! That's not really fair. Though there is most certainly a formula to making an Elvis picture there is also a lot of talent that went into each movie. Not the least of that talent was Elvis himself. All the Elvis movies have both a timeless quality to them while also presenting an innocence of a film-making age. Hal Wallis, who directs many of the Elvis films also directs Blue Hawaii which is a better followup to GI Blues.

The reason to watch G.I. Blues is not the story, the cinematography nor the direction even though all three are done with precision and no overkill. The reason to watch is Elvis. This movie was made in 1960 when The King was at his prime and starting to feel comfortable on screen. His performances are excellent, musical numbers that is, and we're all lucky to have them captured. The movie and Elvis are full of charm and you wonder at times how much Elvis' real life was mirrored with all that charm-like atmosphere around him. ***/**** (for an Elvis flick).

On a side note if you find an original poster of this movie, call me.

G.I. Blues

Author: Jim Colyer from Nashville, Tennessee
22 July 2007

Elvis Presley's first movie following his discharge from the Army. He was accepted now, mainstream. Elvis was stationed in Germany, and G.I. Blues is set there. Germany is part of the "Elvis Presley trail" I envisioned myself going down. Juliet Prowse is the showgirl, famous for her legs. She is Elvis' equal and makes the film worthwhile. Speaking of Juliet, Elvis said, "She has a body that would make a bishop stamp his foot through a stained glass window." Elvis served in the the Army, 1958-60. He was drafted in peace time. He was too young for Korea and too old for Vietnam. This bit of luck made his fabulous career possible. His service was in contrast to Cassius Clay's resistance a few years later.

Elvis Hated This Movie

Author: rpm1950-1 from United States
17 September 2006

Elvis hated this movie because he hated putting the uniform back on. He also hated the music for the movie. However, how many of you know that this movie is actually a remake of a 1940s era movie called THE FLEET'S IN starring William Holden and Dorothy Lamour? Well it is and although I am and have always been a huge Elvis fan, the older movie is better. Holden obviously has the Elvis role while the always gorgeous Lamour is much better than Juliet Prowse, who had a great pair of legs but little else. I have seen G.I. Blues dozens of times over the years. The best scene is the club scene where Elvis and his combo play and then, of course, get into a fight. A few years later in the movie TICKLE ME, there is almost the same exact scene, except this time Elvis is a cowboy.

Decent

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
12 January 2009

G.I. Blues (1960)

** 1/2 (out of 4)

Better than average Elvis vehicle has him playing a G.I. who dreams of one day owning his own nightclub. He makes a bet with some older soldiers that he can take out a dancer (Juliet Prowse) but soon he starts to have feelings for the woman and wants out of the bet. Elvis' comeback film is a pretty good one even though there are still a few weak moments. For the most part the film is charming enough to keep itself going from start to finish even though the thing runs a tad bit too long. Elvis must have been very comfortable in the role of a G.I. because I've never seen him as relaxed in a role. He actually does a pretty good job here and comes off very natural and gets to show off some of his sense of humor. It goes without saying that this film wanted to cash in on The King's military career and for the most part they nail him in the role. The supporting players are equally impressive and add a lot as well. Prowse is very sexy in her role and manages a good performance. The film stealers for me were Robert Ivers and Leticia Roman as the sidekicks. Ivers has a great comic timing and makes for several funny sequences. The music numbers here are all rather hit and miss with none of them what I'd call classic Elvis. I thought the use of Presley's "Blue Suede Shoes" was a nice touch as was the sequence with Elvis trying to babysit. The film is certainly lightweight and predictable but it does have enough charm to make it worth watching and I'm sure the girls in 1960 were passing out at the site of Elvis in the shower.

Decent Elvis fare with some standout songs...

Author: Scott Macleod from WESTFIELD MA. USA
1 October 2003

Decent Elvis fare with some standout songs {Tonight Is So Right For Love,Shoppin'Around,G.I.Blues},a fairly funny script and good production values.Elvis and Juliet Prowse have excellent chemistry and easily carry the film through it's weaker moments.

Elvis in an Army Tank

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
13 September 2014

You can always tell a good Elvis movie from a bad one, and "G.I. Blues" ranks as one of his better efforts. The story boils down basically to Elvis gets the girl no matter how reluctant she may be. This time he pursues the gorgeous Juliet Prowse. Prowse plays an eligible, single, white, female named Lili who puts on quite a floor show in the German nightclub where she dances. Elvis is in the military—as he was briefly in real life—but this time he is Tulsa MacLean, a member of a U.S. Army tank battalion. The G.I.s challenge him to a bet that he cannot spend a night alone with Lili, and Tulsa embarks on the arduous task of romancing this iceberg. Predictably, the Pelvis wins the wager, but he doesn't do it in an obnoxious fashion. Indeed, his behavior is that of a gentleman, and he impresses Lili with his good manners while his drooling buddies watch from afar. "G.I. Blues" was his fifth cinematic outing, coming between Michael Curtiz's above-average "King Creole" and one of his finest westerns Don Siegel's "Flaming Star." This was his sixth outing with director Norman Taurog, the most prolific of Elvis's directors with nine films films to his credit. The Germany scenery is nice. "Donovan's Reef" writer Edmund Beloin and "A Visit to a Small Planet" scribe Henry Garson drum up some good dialogue in this lightweight but entertaining romantic comedy.

The interest lies more in the music than in the characters or storyline

Author: James Hitchcock from Tunbridge Wells, England
12 September 2013

"G.I. Blues" was the first film Elvis Presley made after his release from the army in 1960, and, appropriately, has an army theme. Elvis here plays Specialist Tulsa McLean, a tank crewman serving with the U.S. Army in West Germany. In some ways this film looks forward to the sort of musical comedies which Elvis was to make later in the sixties. Many of these had an exotic setting and seemed to function as travelogues as well as musicals. What Elvis was later to do for Hawaii in "Blue Hawaii", for Mexico in "Fun in Acapulco" and for Nevada in "Viva Las Vegas!" he does here for Germany. In 1960 Americans were no doubt used to films about Nazi Germany, but the country we see here is not the defeated enemy of fifteen years earlier but America's new democratic ally, shown as an idealised land of old timbered houses, romantic vistas of the Rhine, foaming mugs of lager and pretty Frauleins in dirndl skirts. No doubt the German Tourist Board was suitably grateful.

Like most characters played by Elvis, Tulsa is a keen singer, and his great ambition is to run his own nightclub when he leaves the army. In order to obtain some of the money needed for this venture, he accepts a bet that he can spend the night with a local nightclub dancer named Lili. Lili has a reputation for being "hard to get", but Tulsa, like most characters played by Elvis, turns out to be irresistible to women, and it is not long before romance starts to blossom. There are also subplots about romances involving two of Tulsa's buddies, one (Cookie) with Lili's Italian flatmate Tina and another (Rick) with a local girl named Marla. Rather unusually for a light-hearted musical comedy from this period, Marla is an unmarried mother; when Production Code Hollywood dealt with the subject of unmarried motherhood it generally did so in the context of some deeply serious, moralising movie.

"G.I. Blues"  was a success at the box office, but Presley' s film career seemed to be going in a different direction when he followed it up with two more serious films, "Flaming Star" and "Wild in the Country", in both of which he concentrated more on acting and less on music. Neither, however, was as successful at the box office as "G.I. Blues", which in many ways serves as a template for the "pretty girls and pretty scenery" type of musical comedies which were to provide Elvis with his comfort zone during the rest of his cinema career from "Blue Hawaii" onwards. The main difference is that "G.I. Blues", musically speaking, relies rather more on rock music and rather less on than the easy-listening style than do the likes of "Blue Hawaii" and "Frankie and Johnny". (The film's best-known number, however, is "Wooden Heart", derived from a German folksong). Elvis's leading lady here, the glamorous, leggy Juliet Prowse, makes more of an impact than do some of her rather anonymous successors, and her role as a nightclub dancer gives her a chance to show off her own dancing skills.

Interestingly this is one of the few films to play games with the normal convention that, except when making cameo appearances as "themselves", film stars are not referred to in the films in which they appear. While performing in a bar Tulsa discovers a record called "Blue Suede Shoes", sung by one Elvis Presley, on the jukebox. I wonder who he was. Other examples of this sort of game include "His Girl Friday", in which Cary Grant makes a quip about his co-star Ralph Bellamy, and "Ocean's Twelve" in which one character's physical resemblance to Julia Roberts is an important plot point. Roberts, of course, plays the character herself.

The banal plot, underdeveloped characterisation and lack of any great acting performances mean that "G.I. Blues" is unlikely ever to be regarded as a classic of the cinema. As with most Elvis films, the interest lies more in the music than in the characters or storyline. At least the film has more heart and spirit than a number of later Presley movies, such as "Frankie and Johnny" and "Paradise Hawaiian Style", and the star himself is more animated and less wooden than he was to be in some of those offerings. And Prowse is always worth watching, especially while dancing. 5/10

A goof. The German for "Fritz loves Emma" is not, as the scriptwriter obviously believed, "Fritz liebe Emma" but "Fritz liebt Emma". After me, class- Ich liebe, du liebst, er liebt.....

Stupid, leering script and characters bolstered by excellent Elvis numbers...

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
17 August 2009

Elvis Presley's real-life Army uniform wasn't even cold yet before Paramount got him back on screen with "G.I. Blues", one of those musicals in which the flimsy script can nearly be forgotten in the wake of several wonderfully produced numbers. Group of wolfish U.S. Army soldiers, finishing up their tour in Germany, bet fellow G.I. Elvis he can't get inside cabaret performer Juliet Prowse's apartment and stay all night (she's the flashy European-type who is steam-heat on the outside, iceberg on the inside). Forget the contrived plot and the manic, eyeball-rolling performances and just enjoy Presley's music, with each song staged for a thrilling impact (whether they take place in a train-car, a nightclub, a skyway cabin, or a puppeteer's stage). Filmed in gorgeous color, the picture looks good enough to eat--plus, there's a cute baby, some self-effacing humor, and romance to boot. A bit long at 104 minutes, and the girls-as-targets theme is dated now and tacky, but otherwise this "G.I." is a lot of fun. **1/2 from ****