IMDb > Dinosaurus! (1960) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dinosaurus!

Dinosaurus! More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

This movie is forever linked to my birthday . . . and to the Moon.

Author: reptilicus from Vancouver, Canada
11 November 2005

I admit it, I am a fan of stop motion animation. It can be excellent or hideous but if it's stop motion I am so there! I was first attracted to this movie when I was very young because it had dinosaurs in it (yes it had a caveman too but he was secondary to me).

Anyway, so why is this particular movie forever tied to my birthday? Therein lies a tale. 20 July 1969 will be forever remembered as the day Neil Armstrong walked on the Moon. That day was also my 5th birthday and I was watching DINOSAURUS in my room on my 12 inch b/w TV. Just at the scene where the mortally wounded Brontosaurus lumbers into the quicksand the movie faded out for a commercial break. Then it cut to the TV newsroom where they were talking about the landing on the Moon. My uncle came into my room to ask if I was watching the news and I said "No, I'm waiting for the movie to come back on."

This made him start talking about how history was being made and I should be proud I could see this moment live and so on. Okay so to-0day I am aware of how important it was but back then I was 5 years old and this was a movie that had DINOSAURS in it for cryin' out loud! Let's just say my priorities were a lot different back then.

When the movie finally came back on I was as happy as could be and it had my undivided attention all the way to the end.

Now I make it a point to watch this movie every year on my birthday and at the scene where the Brontosaurus dies I cannot help but think about the first Moon landing. Curious how completely unrelated memories somehow get joined together isn't it?

My First Movie

Author: drsmcduncan from Seattle, Wa.
18 July 2003

I have an emotional attachment to this movie, as it was the first movie I ever went to a theater to see. As a six year old living in Fairbanks, Alaska, I begged my mother to take me to see this move about my childhood passion, dinosaurs. Thirty years later, I stumbled across a copy of this film at a video store and purchased it. I was surprised to find that, despite the rather unrealistic dinosaur animation, the movie holds up pretty well. Although much criticism has been directed against the leads in this film, Wayne Treadway as Dumpy ("Dinosaurus!"), Jack Younger as Jasper (Jasper: "Well, we're looking for a caveman, right? So, I think we ought to look in a cave!" Hacker: "Very good, Jasper, I had no idea you were an anthropologist." Jasper: "Not a very good one, boss. I haven't been to church in years.") and Gregg Martell as the Neanderthal Man turn in excellent performances in supporting roles. Martell, especially, combines comedy and pathos in his portrayal of a man caught out of his time but still very much a human being. The scene where Julio (Alan Roberts) rides the back of his pet brontosaurus thrilled me and the final battle between the T-Rex and the steam shovel gave me nightmares for years. How many good movies can you say that about?

Jurassic Park, It Ain't!

Author: ClassixFan from USA
3 March 2005

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean this is a bad film....quite the contrary, in my humble opinion. Sure, the story has some huge holes, but don't you watch a film to be entertained and just to let yourself relax without the need to think every minute? This film is definitely right up your alley, if you enjoy dinosaurs and stop-motion animation.

Basically, this is the story of a construction crew that finds the bodies of a T-Rex, Brontosaurus and caveman frozen in the waters off a tropical island. With the help of lightning, the beasties and the caveman are brought back among the living and the remainder of the story is all the action that takes place when you place three pre-historics out of their element. Good clean fun, some decent stop-animation effects and a great way to spend an afternoon.

4.4/10?!? At least give it a 6.8/10!!

Author: Michael Hall (mikecowboy1996@yahoo.com) from United States
30 November 2007

Honestly, 4.4/10?!? It wasn't that bad! I haven't seen this film in awhile and I decided to watch in again today.Its a pretty good film for its time.Sure, the acting is a little cheesy, but its a great movie! Ahh, yes, IMDb's plot for the movie. ''...After undersea explosions near a Caribbean island, prehistoric creatures are unleashed on the unsuspecting population. Freed from his watery tomb, as well, is a very friendly Neanderthal man who proceeds to befriend a local orphan boy. The boy, Neanderthal and irritated dinosaur make for an interesting dramatic climax.'' Couldn't explain the plot any better.The Neanderthal man who has also come back along with the dinosaurs, is actually a caveman! He can give you a good laugh every once in awhile.He is just hilarious.This is an awesome movie to pop in the VCR and watch on a Saturday night.You should really check it out if you're a into dinosaurs, like I am.

10/10!

Highly entertaining.

Author: G.Spider
20 June 1999

Underwater bomb-testing at an island causes the unearthing of two dinosaurs and a caveman, who are then revived by lightning during a tropical storm. Before long the locals are stranded and in danger from the flesh-eating Tyrannosaur.

People seem to complain about how cruel the film-makers are to the dinosaurs in this and other similar films like 'Valley of Gwangi'. But how they can rant about the treatment of latex models and yet not care one iota about the abuse of real animals used in some 'dinosaur' films such as the 1960 'Lost World' is a mystery. This film has a more moody atmosphere than many films of this genre, it's true, but so what? Many of the scenes are wisely set at night, and the sequence involving the two dinosaurs which have just been dragged up onto the beach is a genuine edge-of-seater. The authority-abusing island manager is excellently villainous, the music is superbly atmospheric and there are humorous little pieces of dialogue.

The film does have a few failings, however. The dinosaurs themselves look on the cheap side and scenes involving the caveman all too often descend into comedy. But overall this is a highly watchable and entertaining story, which is more than can be said about the effects-dependent dross of today.

Jurassic and Cretaceous Dinosaurs terrorise a remote island

Author: Chris Gaskin from Derby, England
16 May 2005

I've seen Dinosaurus several times and is quite a good dinosaur movie. I taped it when Channel 4 screened it some years ago.

Off a remote island in the Caribbean, bomb testing in the sea frees a T-Rex, a Brontosaurus and a caveman and the two dinosaurs are pulled ashore while the caveman is washed ashore. That night during a thunderstorm, they are struck by lightening and come to life. The T-Rex takes away O'Leary (who was assigned to guard them) and eats him and his shack blows up. The Brontosaurus and caveman start exploring the island and the T-Rex and Brontosauris fight near the end and the Brontosaurus sinks in some quick sand. The island's residents are all evacuated to the fortress for safety and the T-Rex is pushed into the sea at the end by a bulldozer but may not be dead...

The highlights of Dinosaurus are the caveman exploring a house and frightening the woman who lives there and the battle between the T-Rex and bulldozer at the end.

The T-Rex and Brontosaurus never fought each other in real life as they are from different ages, the T-Rex being a Cretaceous dinosaur and the Brontosaurus is from the Jurassic Peroid.

The cast is mostly made up of unknowns lead by Ward Ramsey with Greg Martell as the caveman.

Dinosaurus is worth seeing especially if you like dinosaur movies. Great fun.

Rating: 4 stars out of 5.

A minor gem

Author: ctomvelu-1 from United States
12 October 2008

I was 10 when I saw DINOSAURUS in a theater. While the acting left much to be desired, and the film was obviously shot on a shoestring, the animated dinosaurs seemed pretty awesome for the time. Ray Harryhausen this ain't, but for a dinosaur-loving kid like myself, it definitely hit the spot. A caveman and two dinosaurs, one of them a T-Rex, are discovered and accidentally revived in 1960. In the end, it takes a modern mechanical marvel to subdue the rampaging T-Rex. The caveman befriends a little boy, whom I assume we tykes in the audience were meant to identify with. Good fun. Best seen on a big screen with booming sound, and today that's possible right at home with a large flat-screen digital TV and a 5.1 Dolby home theater setup.

Had its moments

Author: Mutakk from Tampa FL
4 December 2007

A harmless low-budget movie from one of the people responsible for the original "The Blob" and "The 4D Man". Hurricane pulls up perfectly preserved dinosaur bodies from the ocean floor; Tyrannosaur and Brontosaurus, and a caveman. Lightning strikes, dinosaurs come to lift and terrorize bad actors. Caveman comes to life also, befriends kid, and ends up riding the brontosaurus.

I saw this years ago, and remember it as being kinda cool. Always remembered the caveman trying to eat plastic fruit, then wondering into the bathroom and flushing the toilet. The FX were OK, I guess. Think they used puppets, and some stop-motion. Final confrontation with the Tyrannosaur vs a tractor was cool. Kind of a precursor for Ripley's duel with the queen in "Aliens."

"Dinosaurus!" certainly won't make you forget "Jurassic Park," but it's an enjoyable little movie.

Fun dinosaurs-on-the-loose movie

Author: rmdove from Huntersville, n.c.
10 March 2006

Wow!In these cynical times,I really didn't expect so many good comments about this picture,so I AM surprised.Only ONE grinch in the whole batch,a know-it-all from England.I first saw this one at about 12 years,and though I am a geezer now,I never miss it if I catch it while flipping the channels.Personally,I don't know why some of you want to denigrate(WHOA!)the actors in this one,as they actually do a pretty good job with what they were given.H.G. Lewis-level?I don't think so!Check out Paul Lukather as the surgeon in HANDS OF A STRANGER----he's quite good!Although the dinos aren't boring CGI,they're alright for the times and don't really take away from my enjoyment of the film.And of course,cave guy and the toilet-flushing gag--always good for a laugh.This is much better than some current movies,and DEFINITELY more entertaining than that LOST WORLD TV crud.By all means,watch it if you get the chance!

Fun If Taken For What It Is

Author: gavin6942 from United States
23 August 2011

After undersea explosions near a Caribbean island, prehistoric creatures are unleashed on the unsuspecting population...

Allegedly, Marcel Delgado was given less than half the time originally agreed upon to create the dinosaur models used in the film. The studio initially agreed to give him five to six weeks, as he requested, but two weeks later he was told that they would begin production on Tuesday. This would explain why the effects are cheesy (or it could just be an excuse).

Howard Maxford sums up the film as having "dismal effects", which is not a poor criticism if that is the worst he can say. As just mentioned, this may not have been the creators' faults. And, really, this is 1960. We just went through the 1950s, where sci-fi films were constantly cheesy. To use that as a criticism seems unfair.

Howard Thompson of the New York Times said at the time that "motion picture art hit rock bottom" when this film came out. It is "a tired, synthetic, plodding sample of movie junk", says Thompson. Those involved "thoroughly wasted a few exotic backgrounds." Thompson finally points out that the film comes from Fairview Productions, who also made "The Blob". He categorizes both films as "Grade Z". Wow. I mean, it is one thing to not like it... but Thompson just goes off!

If I had to say one thing about the film negatively, it would be about Julio (Alan Roberts). He was a bit annoying. And, sadly, he passed away too young (though that has nothing to do with this film). I had no issue with the effects or plot. I mean, really, it is a movie about dinosaurs and a caveman who survived frozen for millions of years. If you accept that premise (and the idea that all three were found in the same areas), I would hope you could look past the execution!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]