IMDb > Dentist in the Chair (1960) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Dentist in the Chair More at IMDbPro »

Limp British 'Comedy'

Author: junk-monkey (liam@merriol.freeserve.co.uk) from Highlands of Scotland
13 June 2005

When a thief doing what he promises to be his last job accidentally burglarises a Dentistry Suppliers instead of the "Silver Shop" next door he decides to flog the suitcase full of tools to a couple of dental students. Some very uncomplicated complications ensue before the thief confesses all to the police.

I guess this was part of an attempt to make another series along the lines of the "Doctor" films which were popular at the time but this is a cheap cut rate imitation and has not stood the test of time well.

The print being shown on British TV at the time of writing is curious in that it seems to be missing a reel (between Bob Monkhouse's character being summonsed to see the Dean and the Poster for the party going up)- not that it makes the slightest bit of difference as the story is so flimsy and predictable that it hardly matters.

A couple of mildly amusing moments but nothing worth waiting for.

COMEDY WITH A PROBLEM: IT'S TERMINALLY UNFUNNY

Author: rsoonsa (rsoonsa@bandbbooks.com) from Mountain Mesa, California
29 November 2000

This was to be the first of a series of comedies cued to the enormous success of, and utilizing many of the same players from, England's "Carry On" comedies. Only two were made, and this one demonstrates the principal shortcoming leading to the series' end. Despite the presence of an attractive cast, and the same frantic pace which commanded audience approval for the "Carry On" films, "Dentist in the Chair" is betrayed by an extraordinarily inane script.

Very bad indeed.

Author: arthel-1 from Montreal, Canada
18 April 2005

Being an expatriate Brit, I watch quite a lot of vintage British movies of any genre. I watched this movie mainly because I had never before seen a movie with Bob Monkhouse appearing in it. However. it didn't take long to see that the movie was headed towards being inane and pathetic. I don't know whether the director thought "the more the merrier" but ninety nine percent of the movie showed large numbers of people crammed into small halls or rooms within the dental hospital. It was all too frenetic and random to be amusing. And the silly old-fashioned elevator was hopelessly over-used. Of course, the story line was limp also - not even worth recounting, indeed just like all the "Carry On" movies but this one fell short of even those, as if that was at all possible! No wonder Monkhouse made relatively few movies. As a scriptwriter, TV show host and stand up comic he was a bit (but not much) better. As an actor (in this movie at any rate) he was remarkably wooden and dull. As I mentioned at the beginning, my curiosity was that I not seen a Bob Monkhouse movie before. After having viewed this painful offering, I will not let my curiosity about Monkhouse movies get the better of me again!