IMDb > "Route 66" (1960) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Route 66"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Route 66" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

An excellent series, unjustly neglected

Author: mike robson from cramlington u.k.
29 April 2003

Simply one of the finest shows from American t.v.This is an undeservedly "lost" show ,amazingly neglected when so many inferior 60's series are wildly overpraised.If you have never seen "Route 66" try to,it's a rare gem.The scripts are not just highly literate,but often close to poetic(no wonder Jim Aubrey,downmarketeer boss at CBS TV disliked it!).There's a great deal of acting talent in the guest roles-Boris Karloff,Lee Marvin,Robert Duvall,Warren Stevens,Lew Ayers,Michael Rennie,Martin Sheen,Dorothy Malone,Ed Asner,Walter Matthau,Edward Andrews,Leslie Nielson,Anne Francis,Jack Lord,William Shatner and Dan Duryea are just a few to look out for.The two part story "Fly away home" has a haunting tortured performance by Michael Rennie as a doomed pilot;"Welcome to Amity"featuring Susan Oliver is both uplifting and truly moving; in "A month of Sundays" the "Route 66" camera captures Anne Francis at the peak of her stunning beauty and series regular Martin Milner gives the performance of his life as a drug crazed Tod Stiles in "A thin white line".These are just some of the highlights in "Route 66".The location filming (unusual then and now),provides a marvellous time capsule of a now vanished America.

A series that was way ahead of its time

Author: jeffhill1 ( from Sapporo, Japan
6 March 2002

I have been living in Asia for the past 32 years so I don't know if

reruns of "Route 66" have ever been running on television in the States

over the past 3 decades. But 20 years ago when I read Alvin Toffler's

prediction in The Third Wave that the future would see professionals

not loyal to any one company but working with an honest fervor at a

given task and then moving on to the next worthy challenge, my

impression was, "this guy is describing the world of Buz and Tod on

'Route 66'." In an era when America was composed of white collar

office workers and blue collar union members, all working towards a

pension, 'Route 66' was a breath of fresh air, an escape, and a

challenge to try something different as well as a reminder that one

should move on not with a sense of despair but with a feeling of

jubilation and wonder at what is over the next hill. Against the

current economic climate in both Japan and the U.S.A., such a reminder

is especially needed today. Let's move on with a sense of jubilation

and wonder. And to help us do it, bring back the "Route 66" series.

I too hit the road

Author: ( from pacfica, ca
26 December 2000

I saw many of the 1960 and 1961 episodes while in the service. I was so taken by the show that in my mind (confusing reality and television), I decided to hit the road when I got discharged in 1962. I purchased a 1961 Vette and a buddy and I set off from Sacramento, California sometime in May 1963 a la Tod and Buzz to find adventure and romance at every stop. Unfortunately we only got as far as southern Utah when we totally ran out of money. I guess we forgot that Buzz and Tod took time out to work here and there. Anyway, it was fun while it lasted and my only lasting regret was having sold the Corvette. Back to the show: one fascinating aspect is in the scripts. Silliphant in particular was a great writer both serious and comedic - but what is amusing today is the amount of beat-era language, as well as existentialist philosophy. Sterling must have read his Sartre and Camus - or at least Tod did while at Yale. The show had at times a strangely schizophrenic nature: trite, even stupid story lines, but some very profound dialogue (at least for television). And the need for at least one fist fight in every episode gives the lie to any myth of a "kinder and gentler nation" before the counter culture invasion in the mid 60's.

Just look to your left and click on "Guest Appearances"

Author: Vern Moore ( from Dell Rapids, SD
9 May 1999

Just look to your left and click on guest appearances. If you do you're in for one heck of a surprise! This show had some great writing in the early years. Reruns were on the Nick-At-Night TV network in the eighties, I was so disappointed I haven't watched the network since. Every episode was a full and complete story, the writing had to be excellent to be able to pull in the caliber of talent that you see on this list. Many current and back then, future stars ought to make this show more visible than it is but sadly that's not the case. It had a great music score from Nelson Riddle and great stories written by Sterling Silliphant. Last but not least, a great car! PLEASE, SOMEBODY BRING THIS SHOW INTO OUR HOMES AGAIN.

Where, oh where, did this kind of drama go?

Author: stargazer24 from midwest
5 October 2001

I got hooked on this through my obsession with Adam-12 and some tapes I bought off ebay. I've only seen 14 episodes, but they are 14 of the greatest TV episodes of any drama ever to make it into our homes. So few shows now make you think, but this does and that's good. Makes you think about human nature, the world, and your role in it. It's more than just a show about two cute guys in the world's coolest car (though there's nothing wrong with that), it's about people. I cry when I remember that no one has jumped at the opportunity to put this show on their network. What are they thinking??? This is the drama that all the dramas since have wanted to be but never succeeded at becoming.

As good as most theatrical movies

Author: Tom Chenevert ( from Dunstable, Ma
24 December 1998

Rt 66 was such a breath of fresh air. I have been a movie buff all my life and after seeing all the backlot tv shows from the mid fifties to 1960, this show had my eyes wide open. Everything was on location and the production values were as good as any theatrical movie. Some of the story lines toward the end of the run were stupid but the values were always there. Most of the time I would watch the show to see how good location filming done quickly could be done so good. I think the producer owned or had owned Republic Studios who were the best at making movie serials and that would explain a lot. In watching reruns it is surprising how little the Corvette was actually seen in some episodes. After this, I found backlot shows to be very cheap, boring entertainment.

My favorite 60's show!

Author: camille-7 (
31 October 1999

I was about ten when this show premiered and watched it with my parents every friday night between Rawhide and Twilight Zone. As you can see Friday was a good night for TV. I was fascinated with the show and its two stars, both of whom I had crushes on. They were both so natural in their acting and always delivered some words of wisdom by the shows end. The fact that the show was always on location made it much more interesting to watch. I was sorry too when Nick at Night quit airing it in the 80's. I watched as many of the reruns as I possibly could and even now have a few on tape. It's a show I think that still holds up today because of its uniqueness and naturalness.

one word - terrific

Author: iceturkee1950 from United States
19 August 2005

it's funny, i was in 8th grade the last year route 66 aired and got to see a few episodes. this was because one had been filmed in daytona beach so i watched it. then i caught the rest of the last season before it went off the air.

i don't think i could fully appreciate just what a remarkable show this was. shot on location, featuring a literal who's who in Hollywood, i think maybe, this show was way ahead of its time. but it worked so well in the early 60's when quality television was quite common.

anyhow, i always said this was the ONE SHOW i wanted to see in reruns. when it aired on nick at nite in 1985, i watched more than half of the episodes and was never disappointed. mix a way cool theme song, some beautiful country, two hip guys and the corvette, how could you go wrong!!

Marty, George & Driving the Marvel Way

Author: animal_8_5 from Dundalk, Canada
21 May 2006

Marty Milner and his sidekick George Maharis get into intrigue and adventure on the highways and byways. Mostly across the good old USA, but one stop each in Canada and Mexico.

Ahhh, what a great concept for a TV series in this post-war period. Two virile young dudes getting into a gorgeous Corvette and driving aimlessly until the gas money ran out. This was one of the more well written and plotted series of the day, too! Some have called the dialogue intellectual and poetic. It is one of those shows that was impossible to stop watching once you were in the first five minutes. Gorgeous scenery and the perpetual sense that adventure was always just around the turnpike.

Stan Lee and Marvel Comics wouldn't admit this, but it would appear they may have unintentionally ripped off the Buzz Murdock character in creating one of their stable characters, Daredevil. According to all the trivial facts about Route 66, Buzz Murdock hails from Hell's Kitchen! Daredevil's secret identity, MATT Murdock, hails from Hell's Kitchen! It seems to me in one episode, Buzz was even blinded! Matt Murdock is blind!

Nah, I don't really care either, but thought somebody out there might find it interesting.

An amazing snapshot of a bygone America

Author: JAtheDJ from Alexandria, Virginia
22 June 2006

I've just seen several episodes of Route 66, which I remember from reruns in the late 60's. The location shots are absolutely wonderful - how Martin Milner and George Maharis survived all the travel to shoot on location is amazing in itself.

The story lines deal with people and their personal lives in a very intimate way. Wonderful "guest stars" too - from Robert Redford and Robert Duvall to Walter Matthau and Jack Lord.

I grew to appreciate Milner and Maharis from earlier parts they played -Milner as the stoic, sincere jazz guitarist in "Sweet Smell of Success," in 1957 and Maharis in the first hour-long episode of Naked City in 1960. My kind of actors.

All in all, Route 66 is a great show.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]