Yellowstone Kelly (1959) Poster

25 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Colorful western is a hidden gem
NewEnglandPat8 December 2003
Warner Brothers came up with a winner in this film of a fur trader who finds himself caught in the middle of a cavalry-Indian just wants to run his trap lines in Montana high country but proposed treaty-breaking by the government poses the threat of an Indian uprising. The film dwells a bit on a sub plot that has Kelly saving an Indian maiden's life as well as playing wet nurse to a tenderfoot who seeks to win the trapper's friendship and respect. There is a fine battle scene between the soldiers and the Indians, one of the best of its type and is the film's high point. John Russell, Ray Danton and Claude Akins are among the cast names that contribute greatly to fine story. Andra Martin is striking as the Arapahoe girl and a point of contention between Kelly and the Sioux warriors. Edd Byrnes is okay as Kelly's young helper. Outstanding camera work and music score make this forgotten western one of the genre's best pictures.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Only moderately acceptable to the Western lovers...
Nazi_Fighter_David1 July 2001
In 'Yellowstone Kelly,' Clint 'Cheyenne' Walker plays a muscular fur-trapper who prevents war between Indians and U.S. Cavalry, and who survives only to find true love in the arms of a beautiful and talented newcomer Andrea Martin...

Becoming a 'squaw man' and a devoted one, Clint Walker goes Western all the way in this standard action film with routine excitements and a cast of TV faces: John Russell as the tall, darkly chief prancing across the plains; Ray Danton as the Indian with conviction and authority; Claude Akins as the heavy tough sergeant; and Warren Oates making his debut as a proud soldier...

With the absence of a strong story line in the screenplay, but displaying an outstanding Technicolor photography, 'Yellowstone Kelly' is
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Yellowstone Kelly
Scarecrow-8810 September 2013
A well-reputed fur-trapper, Apache-scout, and frontiersman, Luther "Yellowstone" Kelly, decides to "hire on" a teenaged Anse Harper (teen idol, Edd Byrnes) against his better judgment but grows fond of the boy. Always a loner, Kelly felt (up until he meets Anse, and later Arapaho beauty, Wahleeah (Andra Martin)) he was best on his own, but Anse is a gentle-voiced, non-combative, polite young man who does what he's told to the best of his abilities. Soon, Kelly and Anse run up on the Sioux (led by Gall (John Russell) and his fiery, antagonistic nephew, Sayapi (Ray Danton)), while journeying back to Kelly's cabin (traveling through "the snake" into the "high country" of Montana (where the "springs get quite green")). Saving Gall's "woman", Wahleeah (who wishes to return to her own people), from certain death, Kelly earns brownie points and is allowed to leave (along with Anse). The Calvary (with the likes of Claude Akins and debuting Warren Oates, as well as, Rhodes Reason and Gary Vinson) want to drive out the Sioux by taking an accompaniment of soldiers through "the snake", but Kelly warns against such foolishness. Kelly, though, understands that the White Man will eventually take the land due to strength in numbers.

Clint Walker is hired for his screen presence and build (the camera of director Gordon Douglas shoots Walker's Kelly as if he were a towering legend, with the expected close-ups of his non-violent, peace-desiring, conflict-weary face) more than any serious acting chops, but I never felt he wasn't adequate in the part. It isn't like Kelly needed the "method touch" or anything. Edd was probably casted to secure the teen-youth market; he is the moral compass that questions the choice of Kelly to allow Wahleeah to return to the Sioux as she clearly is held by them against her will. Kelly has that dilemma upon him…Wahleeah escapes from the Sioux, stealing one of their ponies in the night, successfully making it to Kelly's cabin. Kelly makes a stance towards Gall regarding Wahleeah; because she's still in bad health due to her past injuries, Kelly refuses to allow Gall to escort her away when Wahleeah is in no shape to travel. Sayapi is the main heavy of the film as the prideful, aggressive, hostile Sioux warrior questioning Gall's judgment and bravery, soon responsible for tragedy involving Anse (who intends to take Wahleeah to her people despite Kelly's orders to keep her in the cabin), earning Kelly's vengeance. Of course, there's the battle at the end (as expected by these kinds of western adventures) where the Sioux engage Kelly and the remaining survivors left of the Calvary with guns firing, dust kicked up, and bodies hitting the ground. "Yellowstone Kelly" is surprisingly violent, with plenty of knife and gun violence, especially when Kelly goes after Sayapi and the Sioux in his company. This wouldn't be complete without fisticuffs so Walker tolerates the heckling of Akins and Oates up to a point until he has no choice but to lay the smack to them (yep, a water trough and window are used to subdue the rude soldiers who mocked Kelly by calling him an Indian; Kelly respects Native American tribes, and he doesn't even make much of a fuss when the soldiers first rib him in a bar, but a stagecoach dust up pushes him too far).

The script doesn't actually bang the patriot drum, with some sympathy towards tribes affected by White Man's colonization of their land. Russell, as Gall, follows the lead of many Caucasian actors "dressed in red face" as he carries a "man-of-few-words, pillar of strength" approach to the Sioux leader not to be disrespected and not quick to rush into anything without thinking of the consequences. There's a great scene where Sayapi seems ready to approach Kelly (against Gall's wishes) when Gall grabs him by the throat in a clinch and makes the kid fall to the ground…this tells you that Gall is in charge for a reason. Gall's built for it while Sayapi goes too far and winds up just as he does by film's end. There's something that stayed with me regarding how Kelly tells Gall to take his men and go because the land no longer treats them well…the script has a lot of this (saying that the former occupants of a land that had been there's for ages is taken from them, with White Man telling them to find somewhere else to call home).
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Magnificent locations, pleasant adventure: a better way to make cinema
pzanardo18 September 2001
Magnificent locations, a pleasant adventure: "Yellowstone Kelly" is a typical nice western movie of the 1950s and, in my personal opinion, it is a relevant instance of a better way of making cinema (better than the current one, I mean).

The movie has merits and defects. Among the merits (apart the already quoted beauty of the photography): the fast-pace of the narration; a number of well-elaborated action scenes; the presence of Andra Martin as the Arapaho girl Wahleeah. In fact, beautiful Martin manages to create, with few but skillful touches, a soft erotic atmosphere rather unusual in western movies of that epoch. However, it should be noted that her (splendid) blue eyes are a relevant clumsiness of the movie. Clint Walker, in the role of the trapper Yellowstone Kelly, is a nice guy, though certainly not a great actor. As always in mature 1950's westerns, the war between whites and Indians is provoked by either hot-heads or rogues, in the present case a stupid ambitious cavalry officer: this remark is just intended to contradict the false common-place that in those years Indians were always represented as blood-thirsty savage assassins.

The story is placed around the Wyoming-Montana border: however the final part was evidently filmed in the wonderful area of Sedona, Arizona. I'm not able to decide whether this could be considered a defect of the movie: probably not. The worst flaw in the film is the fact that all Sioux perfectly understand and speak English (?). There are several other inaccuracies. For instance: I may be wrong, but I bet that the Blue Soldiers had never been equipped with Winchester carabines.

I saw "Yellowstone Kelly" at the theatre, when I was a kid: the pleasant impressions I retained have been confirmed by my recent new view at the TV. I recommend this movie, especially to people nostalgic of good old western flicks.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Tough-Minded "B" western Transcends Its Budget' Well-Liked.
silverscreen88813 July 2005
This unpretentious and well-paced film min my judgment almost redefines the 'B' movie. It uses the talents of solid-plot novelist Clay Fisher, action director Gordon Douglas's skills, script additions by Burt Kennedy, lucid cinematography by Carl Guthrie, costumes by Marjorie Best, set decorations by William Wallace and a good cast of supporting actors. The storyline is a very simple one. Luther Kelloey has saved the life of a Sioux chief, Gall. Because of this during the troubles in their country, he is still allowed to set his traplines. After some trouble with toughs at a fort, he enlists young tenderfoot Anse Harper as his helper--before discovering he is hopeless at everything; then Kelley heads upcountry. Once there, they save an Arapaho woman fleeing her enemies. Answe worships her; she falls in love with Kelley, but he fights the urge as he nurses her back to health. Then all discover that it is the Sioux chief who wants her back. Anse dies; and finally he has to lead soldiers against the Sioux to save the ill-led patrol; and he kills Gall's nephew, the real troublemaker in the situation, in battle. He then advises the Sioux chief to leave the Yellowstone country, telling him it no longer smiles on them; and they follow his advice. The film stars popular and very large Clint Walker, in the best of several western he was allowed to make in the 1950s, as who did not; Anse is well-done by Edd Byrnes, John Russell is the Sioux chief, Ray Danton the deadly nephew and Andra Martin the lovely Arapaho woman. Claude Akins as a skeptical sergeant, Rex Reason, Gary Vinson and Warren Oates are also featured. This is a very authentic western, physically-beautiful. The viewer learns a lot about what it takes to survive in the West through the very Eastern eyes of Anse; also, Kelley's very sound advice is doubted, not heeded or contradicted by soldiers, with the result that they need him to save their hides. This is not a great picture; but I suggest as a writer its authors gave it clear motivations, a solid story line for its under-budgeted producers to realize. The dialogue is above average, terse, never show; and Douglas's camera has quite a bit to work with in the way of interior dialogue exchanges, action scenes and angry confrontations. The highlight comes when Martin tells Walker, "You have LOOKED AT ME." From that moment, we know he likes her, she wants him--and all they have to do is fight a major battle against angry Sioux warriors to win their future...Many viewers have found this to be a very unpretentious and entertaining 'B' effort.
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
unpretentious, good western
When the Clint Walker westerns showed up in the late fifties, they had to compete with the traditional actors like John Wayne, James Stewart, Randolph Scott, Audie Murphy, etc... No doubt it was hard to be a newcomer, with those guys there. That's why I missed his films, but the long wait gave me the thrill of seeing "Yellowstone Kelly" now, when westerns are so few, and we have seen most of the old ones. An unpretentious film, but with a top director, Gordon Douglas, an excellent script by Burt Kennedy, good actors like Edd Byrnes, Ray Danton, Andra Martin, Claude Atkins, and a great performance by John Russel as the chief Gall. It is a plain western story, with a sensual romance between Clint and Andra Martin, where they barely touch each other, but Wahleeah (Andra Martin) is very specific about " who looked at her" and "who she looked at" (guess!). The scenery, the music, and the action scenes, also help to place what would otherwise be a conventional routine western, one step higher.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An underrated western
Michael20 July 2001
Sure, Gordon Douglas directed some pictures they are not worth watching - like all of (star)directors including Ford, Hawks, Lang or Hitchcock too. For me is Douglas one of the most underrated US-filmmakers of the fifties and sixties, because he did great jobs in very different genres. "Formicula" for example is a thrilling horror- stuff, "The Detective" a fine police-movie with Frank Sinatra. His best pictures did Douglas in the western-genre, and I think, "Rio Conchos", "Barquero" and "Fort Dobbs" should have a place in the hall of fame of western. His best picture at all for me is "Yellowstone Kelly" from Warner Bros., an also underrated western, which tells the story of mountain man Luther Kelly, who has a romance with a young Sioux maid on dangerous ground. A long time he don't accept the voice of his heart, and so his young sidekick, a greenhorn impressive portrayed by Edward Byrnes, must die. Big Clint Walker, also appears in "Fort Dobbs", is wonderful in the role of Kelly, and in the supporting cast you may find excellent actors like Claude Akins, Ray Danton and Warren Oates at the beginning of their career. The action scenes are well-made, the Technicolor-photographed landscape is so beautiful like Max Steiners score. If you like western, this picture for sure will become one of your all-time-favorites.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A fine cast, good story and action make this a great western
bux13 August 2000
The location scenery help make this a fine picture, with TV's Cheyenne, Clint Walker as the title character. Edd (Kooky) Byrnes shows signs that he could have been a good actor in a supporting role. Only real problem is the typical Warner Brothers Indian Maiden...complete with full make-up and blue eyes. The script moves along at a fast pace, the action scenes are great, and Walker appears HUGE on the screen today. This is a fun western to watch.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I'll tell you what happened. It either got sick, ran away or died. It's the same way with an Indian. You go trying to tame them, make them live white... it just won't work.
Spikeopath12 December 2012
Yellowstone Kelly is directed by Gordon Douglas and adapted to screenplay by Burt Kennedy from the Clay Fisher (AKA: Heck Allen) book of the same name. It stars Clint Walker, Edd Byrnes, John Russell, Ray Danton, Claude Akins, Andra Martin and Rhodes Reason. A Technicolor production filmed out of Sedona and Coconino National Forest in Arizona, with music by Howard Jackson and cinematography by Carl Guthrie.

"The West was opened by courageous trail-blazing pioneers like Lewis and Clark and Luther "Yellowstone" Kelly - - trapper, surveyor, and Indian scout who was the first frontiersman to cross the mighty Yellowstone Valley."

A very well made Western, one that features some quite breath taking scenery captured by Carl Guthrie (Fort Massacre/Gunfight At Dodge City), Yellowstone Kelly falls into the category of straight conventional Oaters.

Story concerns fabled fur trapper Luther Kelly (Walker), who having saved the life of a Sioux chief (Russell) is allowed to move freely in the Sioux territories. However, he finds himself piggy in the middle when the oafish US Cavalry move in to shake their might at the Native Americans. Things are further complicated when he is forced to save the life of an Arapaho woman (Martin), who subsequently runs away from the Sioux's to seek shelter with Kelly and his newly acquired companion, greenhorn Anse Harper (Byrnes). With potential love in the air putting another problem into the equation, Kelly has much to carry on his mightily broad shoulders.

Originally slated to be a John Ford/John Wayne production (they decided to make The Horse Soldiers instead), Yellowstone Kelly is pretty much what it appears to be, that of a vehicle built around Walker as a device to push him forward as a lead actor. Unfortunately, in spite of his massive screen presence, Walker just didn't have the acting chops to be a grade "A" lead off man in film. Yet he was always watchable and engaging, such is the case here. The character of Kelly is interesting and around Walker are a number of TV stars and contract players to ensure there's a professional polish to the production.

There's no surprises in store or deep psychological stirrings, though one extended sequence of Walker and Byrnes shacked up in a log cabin is open to homo-erotic interpretation, and the host of white actors playing Native Americans will irritate some, but this moves along at a good clip and makes for a fun afternoon viewing experience. 6.5/10
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lack of comments about Yellowstone Kelly.
gl.nan19 April 2000
I can't believe that there is only one comment about Yellowstone Kelly, I know you couldn't really call it a classic or anything but I know films that are a lot worse that have been much better received in your lists. That is only my opinion and I don't wish to upset anyone but again as previously stated I think this film is a real cracker and has lasted the test of time! Graham Lenegan.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Yellowstone Kelly & 50s & early 60s TV Westerns.
gl.nan10 April 2000
I think that although Yellowstone Kelly was probably only made to accommodate Clint Walkers popularity as Cheyenne Bodie just before and around the release of the film it was exceptionally well done with a great supporting cast and a super story line, but as I was only 12 at the time and I still recall it today it just shows it has lasted the test of time. I can remember very well all the old TV westerns of the fifties even at such an early age.Bronco Layne, Tenderfoot, Gun Law, Lawman, Maverick, Wells Fargo, Have gun will travel, Wagon train, The restless gun with John Payne, and of course my favourite Cheyenne.I love nostalgia and all these all time greats bring back fond memories of a more innocent age than today, although as my wife is always telling me I am very old Fashioned. Graham Lenegan.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I really enjoyed Yellowstone Kelly
nwatson-529 August 2006
Yellowstone Kelly was a super show, I really liked the actors in the movie and I have always liked Clint Walker. I have always wished I could find a DVD or VHS copy of the particular movie but I have not found one yet. There are just no words that I can use to describe what this movie meant to me. I will always remember it. Thank you for letting give my opinion on this, means a lot to me. Clint Walker, Ed Byrnes, John Russell were some of my favorite actors back when this was made. Yellowstone Kelly was so great in the acting, in the scenery where it was made. The actors gave great performances dealing with Indian culture and things of this sort. It was just one of my favorite movies.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Yellowstone Silly, though a good-looking cast holds interest.
Poseidon-310 July 2008
The second of three western films Walker made with director Douglas during the down time of his tenure on "Cheyenne", this is the only one in color. He plays a scout and trapper who shares a tenuous relationship with the Sioux which is placed in jeopardy when Martin, an Arapaho held captive by the Sioux, decides to run away and seek sanctuary with him in his cabin. Things are complicated further by the presence of Byrnes, a greenhorn kid who has come to stay with Walker and learn how to live in the stark wilderness. Meanwhile, cavalry Major Reason wants Walker's help and resists taking no for an answer. Walker, a towering hunk who dwarfs everyone around him and sometimes even the landscape, lends a solid performance. He has one rough-and-tumble fight sequence in which he clearly performed his own stunt work. Clad in a red shirt and with a long shock of black hair, he is quite a sight to behold. In what must be one of his most alluring and sexy appearances in film, he has a nighttime sequence in which he reclines in bed, shirtless, with his hair deliberately tousled as he chitchats with young Byrnes. Byrnes enjoys an engaging role, lightly comedic, but with more serious elements than he would tend to be given elsewhere. His character displays an obvious respect for Walker (try counting how many times he says, "Mr. Kelly"!) and, like Walker, sleeps presumably in the raw despite allusions to the harsh weather! Russell plays the Sioux chief and provides dramatic weight and a dose of dignity that helps him to overcome his anachronistic hairstyle. Danton plays his nephew (with a similarly goofy, parted on the side, wig) and poses a nice threat as he obsesses over Martin. Martin, with gleaming grey-blue eyes and covered in buckets of body make-up, is unlikely as an Indian maiden, though this was the rule of the day then. She comes off as more of a Caucasian captive than a fellow Indian, so quickly does she adjust to washing plates in a bucket and keeping house! Like the two gentlemen, she also prefers to sleep in the altogether, which had to have seemed a tad daring in 1959! She undergoes a brief, but pretty harrowing, medical procedure in her first scene. However, some of her dialogue is a hoot ("You have looked at me…") Reason adds just that much more handsomeness to the film, though his role isn't anything special. He has two soldiers in his outfit who would go on to greater fame, Akins and Oates. Director Douglas liked to populate his films with good-looking men and here he had quite a bonanza, which does make viewing easier for those inclined. Additionally, he had quite an eye for location scenery and it is nicely exploited here as well. It's not a milestone film, but Walker in his prime is always worth watching and the rest of the able cast, along with the location work, helps make this a pleasure to watch.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An Interesting Subtext
dougdoepke2 September 2011
One good thing—WB popped for some scenic Arizona locations, at the same time they didn't stint on extras to flesh out the big battle scene. However, reviewer Dinky is spot-on about the negatives. As a drama, the film is definitely inferior to the underrated Fort Dobbs (1958) that features the same production team. Writer Kennedy, for example, specialized in tight, emotionally complex Westerns, such as the legendary Ranown series with Randolph Scott. Here, however, he has to accommodate a host of WB contract players, including Sunset Strip hipster Edd Byrnes. This results in an over-crowded, over-stretched slice of eye candy that dissipates impact over a series of climaxes.

Arguably the movie's most interesting feature is the way the relationship between Kelly (Walker) and Anse (Byrnes) is handled. Now, if the masterly muscular Kelly is added, on one hand, to the submissive pretty-boy Anse, on the other, the sum is two iconic stereotypes of the gay community. Of course, production could have plunked a hat on Byrnes like everyone else and lessened his looks. But that would have outraged fans of the teen idol whose trademark had become a comb. So, the visual earmarks remain.

At the same time, the screenplay puts this suggestive two-some into a wilderness cabin for the winter, where the big-hair half does womanly duties like cooking and cleaning, while the macho trapper brings home the bacon. So, together you've got an unmistakable situation for perceptive 50's audiences that putting a woman (Wahleeah) into the mix doesn't erase. Plus, these visual hints are compounded with the homo erotic bed scene that Dinky describes so well. My point is that toying with this taboo could not have been lost on the filmmakers, causing me, at least, to wonder what their reasoning was. After all, the Western is about the most macho of all movie genres.

It's worth noting that the movie's overall quality is not affected by this one aspect. In fact, none of this would be worth remarking on if the movie were not from the uptight 1950's, when the topic of same-sex attraction could not even be mentioned, e.g. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958). So in that sense, the film remains something of an oddity for its time. But the movie itself ranks a lot higher on the list of glamorized Westerns than on the list of compelling ones.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a fun movie
rockinghorse6 November 2004
I just watched this. I may have seen it before, I don't know.

This was pleasantly predictable -- I dislike nasty surprises -- and quite a lot more politically correct than one would expect for the time it was shot.

Every man in the movie is hot for the woman -- claims to the contrary by some are absurd and sensationalist wishful thinking -- and she eventually goes for the good guy. Clint Walker's character evolves from somewhat self-serving to completely self-sacrificing.

John Russell is okay in a role very different from his usual. He as the Sioux leader and Clint Walker are both aware that the cause of Native Americans is lost and there is no point in piling up dead bodies in one pointless battle after another. The US Government had already torn the heart out of the entire Native American land.

Andra Martin is so hot it almost doesn't matter that they chose a blue-eyed actress over a brown-eyed one, as though one were more captivating than the other.

Clint Walker is a friend of a friend and I'm glad I saw this and that I appreciated it. It wasn't intended to be great art, just entertainment.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Yellowstone Kelly a terrific movie
nelliejwatson10 June 2007
The acting is awesome in this movie. I cannot believe that it has not been put on a VHS or DVD. Clint Walker has always been one of my favorites. Just a terrific movie and I would be very anxious to own it on tape. I have seen Clint and Ed Byrnes in lots of things through the years and I know how good they are at acting, this movie is no less than perfect for them again, I have always remembered this movie since it was made but I never got but a couple of chances to view it. For several years now I have been looking for this movie on tape. Would be great to have a copy to watch when I want to. Again Clint is just a great actor and I just love to own his work. Nellie Watson, Cado Mills, Texas.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Kookie Goes West
bkoganbing10 December 2012
I finally got to see Yellowstone Kelly today and found it to be a decent enough western. Back in the day I was going to see it at the age of 12, but did not want to deal with the unbelievably long lines or the screaming teens who came to see Kookie.

This was not Edd Byrnes first feature film, but the first after his success on 77 Sunset Strip. The bobbysoxers were nuts about him back in the day and crowded out us connoisseurs of the western. I remember the long lines and the stories about how one could not hear the dialog with the adolescent females going gaga for Kookie.

The real star in the title role was another Warner Brothers TV veteran, Clint Walker. He plays a mountain man trapper and scout, the last of a breed. He's allowed to do his thing on Sioux land because he saved John Russell's life who is the chief.

After taking on Edd Byrnes as a young assistant, the two visit the Sioux where both of them catch the eye of Andra Martin who is an Arapahoe captive and Russell's personal squeeze. Another brave Ray Danton would like to replace Russell in her tepee. When she runs away and follows Walker and Byrnes to their cabin, Russell and Danton come calling with the tribe. These kind of things start wars as the Ancient Greeks would be the first to tell you.

As much as Kookie got all the publicity and was the reason for Yellowstone Kelly's box office, this film belongs to the stoic Clint Walker who if he had come along a decade earlier would have been a great cowboy hero. Walker is smart and stoic in the title role.

I have to say that Andra Martin as a blue eyed Arapahoe was most disconcerting. Just like Burt Lancaster in Apache.

Despite that Yellowstone Kelly was a well made action western that any fan of the horse opera will love.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Trying to keep peace.
dbdumonteil11 November 2010
Young Anse is the most endearing character in the whole movie:when you deal with the experimented tough guy /sensitive greenhorn team,generally the latter is told lessons in life and survival by the former ;in "Yellowstone Kelly", on the contrary ,it's the young one who,all in all,shows the way.He's an orphan ,an uneducated young boy ,whose only "culture " is his "Our Father" prayer.He has understood,long before Kelly ,that life is sacred and that you can't "own" anybody.One can dream of what Nicholas Ray would have done with this subject.

That said,this low-budget western is enjoyable even though the Indians look like white guys with wigs ( they are ,particularly the Indian beauty everyone covets ,about as "Indian" as Debra Paget in "broken arrow" or Barbara Bush in "Taza Son of Cochise" )
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Brokeback Mountain" 1959 style?
Martin Bradley2 April 2017
You might be forgiven for thinking you were about to watch a 1959 version of "Brokeback Mountain" as Edd Byrnes eyes up Clint Walker's trapper on a riverboat before delivering his chat-up line. Of course, I'm reading a subtext here that obviously doesn't exist. In this thoroughly innocent Boy's Own western from director Gordon Douglas, Walker,with a couple of barrels for a chest, is "Yellowstone Kelly" and Byrne is the boy who has taken a fancy to him, (a thoroughly innocent fancy,I might add). They team up, setting up house together in Indian territory, where they run up against John Russell's somewhat wooden, effete Indian chief and his hot-headed nephew, (a very unlikely Ray Danton).

This is a good old-fashioned film, if a little top-heavy in male bonding with too many actors who are fundamentally nothing but eye-candy and it's beautifully shot in some pretty spectacular scenery. There's not much in the way of plot and the script, by Burt Kennedy, no less, has every cliché in the book but it's never less than entertaining in a mindless sort of way.
It's a good one
fredcdobbs510 August 2016
I like Clint Walker, I'm a fan of Gordon Douglas' movies (e.g., "Them!", "Rio Conchos", "The Detective") and I can even tolerate Edd Byrnes--in small doses--but I really wasn't expecting much from "Yellowstone Kelly" when I first saw it a few days ago. Turned out that I got a lot more than I bargained for.

First off, Walker is a hell of a screen presence. I haven't seen "Cheyenne" in many, many years, and I kind of forgot just how much he can fill up the screen, and not just physically; he has the kind of commanding presence that John Wayne has, and although Wayne's a better actor, Walker's no slouch himself. He does a first-rate job here, and Burt Kennedy's script doesn't make him the kind of stock "hero" type that many "B" westerns tend to make of their stars.

Second off, the scenery--as pointed out by other reviewers--is spectacular. It has the kind of power that John Ford brought to the screen with his Monument Valley locations yet it doesn't overwhelm the overall film, as Monument Valley tended to do. In addition, Gordon Douglas' westerns are noted for their "balls to the wall" action scenes, as in "Rio Conchos", and this film doesn't disappoint in that department. There are several of them, from bar-room brawls to full-out Indian attacks, and they're all extremely well done.

Then there's Andra Martin. She's not given much to do, actually, but she is one of the most strikingly and exotically beautiful women to have ever graced the screen, and she does the most here with what she's given, and she's actually quite good.

A good supporting cast--Claude Akins and Warren Oates stand out, and even Edd Byrnes is far less annoying than he usually is--helps greatly. If there's any downside to this picture, it's the casting of white actors in Indian roles. John Russell and Ray Danton are good actors, but they don't even come close to being convincing as Indians and, as this practice usually does, actually hurt the picture.

Overall, though, I was more than pleasantly surprised with "Yellowstone Kelly". Walker turns in a first-rate performance, the scenery is beautiful, the action is well done, and on top of everything else there's Andra Martin. A very good combination. Walker made another western that I haven't seen, "Fort Dobbs", and if it's half as good as this one was, I'll have to check it out.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the great western
jamesalbertson27 December 2015
I'm sad to say I don't remember seeing this as a 17 year old. It wasn't advertised as much as the big name star Westerns. I never missed a Cheyenne show as a kid. Clint Walker was great in this one, even though it didn't have the old well known character actors in it. I heard they wanted John Wayne for the lead, but he was busy. Clint done a great job. I only seen it the first time a couple years ago. I recorded it on DVD for my collection. It was a good Western in my opinion. Ed Burns wasn't the best co-star. ONE OF MY TOP 10 Favorite Westerns.I was busy learning about girls. I surprised this one didn't show up at the drive in movies.I did see The Left Handed Gun starring Paul Newman, and Rio Bravo with John Wayne. Thunder Road with Robert Mitchum.
One of My Favorite B-Movie Westerns
Uriah436 January 2013
This is one of my favorite B-Movie westerns. I have always liked Clint Walker and he puts on a pretty good performance as a mountain man named "Yellowstone Kelly" who just wants to set his traps in the Yellowstone Valley area and to be left alone. For seven years the Sioux haven't bothered him but when a beautiful Arapaho maiden named "Wahleeah" (Andra Martin) is injured the Sioux forcibly take him and his young apprentice "Anse Harper" (Edward Byrnes) to their village and give him the ultimatum to either heal her or be killed. Fortunately, he is able to extract the bullet lodged in her back and they are allowed to go on their way. But things don't go as planned for him as forces beyond his control bring the Arapaho maiden, the Sioux and the cavalry to his doorstep. At any rate, while this film doesn't have a good script and some of the acting could definitely use some improvement, it does have some beautiful scenery and a nice story to draw upon. So while it may not be quite realistic it's still entertaining enough to overlook some of the obvious flaws.
The weakest of the Clint Walker / Gordon Douglas trilogy
dinky-430 August 2004
While filmed (in color) on a larger scale than either "Fort Dobbs" or "Gold of the Seven Saints," this is the weakest of the three westerns which teamed actor Clint Walker with director Gordon Douglas. Its chief fault lies in the tentative nature of the relationships which bind together the movie's three major characters. At first the movie seems to be about tough, experienced Clint Walker and naive, bumbling Edward Byrnes. Then the movie seems to be about Edward Byrnes falling in love with Andra Martin who may simply be using him for her own purposes. By the end of the movie, however, the movie seems to have become a romance pairing Clint Walker with Andra Martin.

None of these three relationships seem plausible and none of the participants seem to have convincingly deep feelings for anyone else. The script manipulates its characters but never succeeds in giving any of them an internal life. Particularly shortchanged are the Indian characters, none of whom look "Indian" and all of whom are saddled with dialog of the "many horses have I" variety.

The acting is passable but has the superficial quality of a TV show. This is not surprising since the cast largely consists of loan-outs from Warner Bros' TV series: Clint Walker from "Cheyenne," Edward Byrnes from "77 Sunset Strip," and John Russell from "Lawman." Even Andra Martin has a connection to Warner Bros' television, being married at one time to Ty Hardin from the "Bronco" series.

Though this movie lacks the homoerotic undertones of "Gold of the Seven Saints," it does have a scene of sexual ambiguity showing Edward Byrnes bedding down for the first night in Clint Walker's log cabin. Both men are shirtless. (Curiously, this is the only time in the entire movie Clint displays that famous chest of his.) Clint lies face-up on his bed while Byrnes lies face-down on his. They engage in a long, disjointed conversation, all the while exchanging glances at each other.

This scene follows a bit of dialog in which Walker says he'll have to make a (separate) bed for Byrnes. Byrnes says this won't be necessary, a remark which can be interpreted in two different ways.
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
does anyone know where i can get this movie ?
jjjslabe5 April 2006
hello i would like to purchase this movie,,,,,i understand its not on VHS or DVD yet,,but does anyone know where i could get a copy to have it dubbed ??? my brother has moved to Sedona, Arizona and is in the process of collecting many of the movies that were filmed in the area,,, he loves Clint Walker and would like to watch the movie while overlooking the beautiful rock formations in the in Sedona,, Yellowstone Kelly would be a wonderful addition to his collection.. why do i have to type ten lines for such short message ,,, oh well if this message gets results i will be very happy....and i will be able to repay my brother for the many kindnesses that he has extended our whole family..

thanks in advance,,,for any help,,..

regards jerry
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Implausible and unpleasantly dated
thedavidovitch21 September 2013
A real B movie Western that's showing its age. Of course it wasn't unusual during the genre's heyday to find white actors playing Native Americans or to find story lines that portrayed them as duplicitous savages, but the breathtaking racism of this script, coupled with some hilarious casting, with a quite obviously blue-eyed white guy as the Sioux chief, makes it a pretty challenging watch for a modern audience.

Some nice cinematography and decent enough fight scenes are mildly diverting, but it's certainly not a classic of the genre. More, it's a reminder of how, at worst, the Western was a pretty ruthless exercise in historical revisionism.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this