IMDb > The Shaggy Dog (1959) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Shaggy Dog

The Shaggy Dog More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Shaggy dog many years later, a remembrance

Author: fillweb from Colorado Springs
31 March 2014

I remember being taken to this movie when I was 8 or 9 years old. I was accompanied by my mother and my aunt. I remember being appalled at their reaction. They were nearly rolling in the aisles. I was unimpressed knowing that a child could not be turned into a dog and found the whole thing silly. I have not seen the movie since then. But I guess I might enjoy it these days for it's silliness. My mother and I did not see a movie again until I took her to see "2001" in 1968. She was impressed and correctly predicted, beforehand, there would be Howard Johnson's at the space station. Sorry for the unrelated memories that have nothing to do with this movie. But I cannot help but relate that 7 years later I took her to see "Blazing Saddles", fearful that she might be offended by some of the off color jokes. She laughed wholeheartedly at all the dirty jokes.

Weird and Funny "Shaggy Dog" Story Of Teen Age Lycanthropy

Author: johnstonjames from United States
9 October 2012

this is a hoot for anyone who understands the term " a shaggy dog story" or anyone who knows folklore. first off the term "shaggy dog", means a ridiculous or exaggerated story so even the title is imaginative and clever. anyone who has delved into folklore knows all about stories of lycanthropy or the legend of the Borgia family. all of this mixed into the whole fifties "i was a teen age..." formula. the film is good laughs and not a bad excursion into contemporary folklore.

i've always felt that Disney comedies like this are often underrated for their cleverness. i guess because so much of the comedy is played for dumb laughs it's hard to take it all seriously, which you're not supposed to really, because it's Disney you're supposed to enjoy and have fun.

this is a great comedy, semi-horror, teen flick that actually holds up well to sophisticated screw ball comedies. a genuine argument can be made for this film that it is one of cinema's better comedies. certainly with all of it's gimmicks and effects, it's very cinematic.

one major note here for viewers. this film was originally filmed in glorious B&W and is most effective when viewed in B&W. avoid the horrible colorized, tinted versions which disarm the effectiveness of it's nostalgia and photography.

What Cures Wilby??

Author: MCL1150 from United States
2 September 2007

I caught this film on Turner Classic Movies one Sundy morning. I almost NEVER watch Disney movies but for some reason ended up sitting through the whole flick. More enjoyable than most Disney movies I must say. I saw plenty as a youth and and there's one thing I'll always remember. As much as I wanted to see the films, I was always disappointed because all of the best/funny parts were already in the promotional TV ads which made the theater viewings redundant. Anyway, throughout the entire movie, after his exposure to a magic ring, Wilby turns into the Shaggy Dog and back without warning several more times. Every time this happens, the real shaggy dog disappears from wherever he is as the Dilby transformation takes palace. By the end of the movie though, Dilby seems to have been cured of this Jeckll & Hyde routine, What did I miss? What cured him? It went right over my head!

Silly comedy is dated stuff that looks more like a made-for-TV movie than a feature length hit...

Author: Neil Doyle from U.S.A.
30 December 2007

Times have certainly changed. Here we have a Disney live action feature film that looks and sounds more like a TV sit-com (and a below par one at that), and yet it grossed $8,000,000 at the box-office at a time when any film that grossed more than a few million was considered a box-office hit.

At least FRED MacMURRAY does a professional job as the bumbling father of TOMMY KIRK and KEVIN CORCORAN, a dog-hater with a shotgun who gets itchy around the collar if a dog is even remotely close to his territory. He provides some genuine chuckles with his comic touch on a role that could well have seemed anything but sympathetic. The boys do OK too, especially Kevin Corcoran as the younger brother who always wanted a dog and promises to take good care of his brother who has magically transformed into one.

The plot is pretty threadbare but it does provide some very amusing moments--such as the one where Tommy Kirk gets into his pajamas and brushes his teeth while in the guise of the shaggy dog. The transmutation has taken place because he read aloud the inscription on a ring that had once belonged to the Borgias and whose Latin words were meant to change the sayer into a dog.

What weakens the story is the whole spy subplot which has him overhearing the spies while a dog and then reverting to his own body before he can get away from their presence. All of this leads to a hectic chase that has the baffled police force falling all over themselves to catch a shaggy dog driving a stolen police car.

It's silly stuff and never overcomes the feel of a lame sitcom from the innocent '50s, complete with people like ANNETTE FUNICELLO, TIM CONSIDINE, JEAN HAGEN (a far cry from her "Singin' in the Rain" dumb blonde), and JAMES WESTERFIELD as the policeman who can't believe his own eyes.

It passes the time pleasantly enough but you have to be willing to view it in the context of its '50s era innocence.

And contrary to what some here believe, this was not Disney's first live action film--not by a long shot. However, it was one of the few to make a bundle at the box-office for some unknown reason and gave a boost to the sagging career of Fred MacMurray at a time when his film career was on the skids.

A Good Beginning

Author: Brian Washington (Sargebri@att.net) from Los Angeles, California
30 October 2003

After years of strictly animated features, this is the first live action feature from Disney and it is still a delight even 44 years after it was first released. Fred MacMurray shows what a great comedic talent he was after years of playing primarily dramatic roles. He shows in this film a preview of what was to be expected when he started the show that became his trademark, "My Three Sons". Also, Tommy Kirk, Tim Considine and Kevin Corcoran all were great in this film. This is still a great film.

cute kids movie

Author: SnoopyStyle
28 January 2016

Postman Wilson Daniels (Fred MacMurray) hates dogs and is allergic to them. His son Wilby is entranced by the new French girl Franceska Andrassy. She invites him to her home. She has shaggy sheepdog and from a painting, the family seems to have a shaggy dog for a long time. He stumble into a room and accidentally takes a ring. After reading the inscription, he finds himself turning into a shaggy dog from time to time. His slick friend Buzz Miller asks out both Allison D'Allessio (Annette Funicello) and Francesca to the dance. To solve the problem, Buzz gets Wilby to come along and lie to both girls. Just when things couldn't be more complicated, Wilby as a dog overhears a plan to steal military secret.

This is a cute Disney family movie. It's got plenty of clean cut fun. Who doesn't like a dog in pajamas? It's nothing too hilarious. It's a light-weight comedy. There is a serious espionage story that doesn't really fit the tone. It is still funny at times but the darker material does take its toll.

"This is the shaggy dog story."

Author: ofpsmith from United States
1 January 2015

After the opening titles, we see a view of 1950s suburb United States. Afterwards we see Wilson Daniels (Fred MacMurray) yelling at a dog to get off his lawn. A narrator tells us that Wilson loves his fellow man, but despises man's best friend the dog (mostly because he's a postman). But Wilson's oldest son Wilby Daniels (Tommy Kirk) inadvertently turns into a dog and has to uncover a group of spies who are planning to steal a missile. If that story line makes no sense, that's because it was written down. Trust me the story is a lot better when you watch the movie. Even though it may not make any sense when you read my review it will when you watch it. The acting is also good. MacMurray plays the average American everyman and does a really good job with it. When all these strange things happen to Wilson, he pretty much goes along with it. Most of the runtime is actually spent on Wilby, because he's the person that actually turns into the dog. So Wilby sees all these things that Wilson is pretty much oblivious too for the majority if the film. Even at the end when Wilson is being hailed as a hero he still doesn't really know what jut happened to him. The rest of the cast also turned in a great performance. I highly recommend this movie. It's available on DVD and VHS so if you can find a copy check it out.

"In canis corpore transmuto."

Author: classicsoncall from United States
28 November 2014

Here's another flick from the past that I actually saw in the theater during it's initial run back in 1959. My Mom and Dad would take me to the movies as a kid and it was usually a Disney picture like this one. Watching them today is a little weird because they don't have that same magical quality unless you're with someone of the same age I was back then. That's why I bring my granddaughter over for company when tuning in to these old time films.

The story's a blast for youngsters. Watching young Tommy Kirk turn into a Brataslavian Sheep Dog is a highlight of the picture and he gets to do it a number of times. The tale borrows from ancient fables of shape-shifting creatures and black magic, with a little bit of Lucretia Borgia thrown in for good measure. But you know, there might have been something to all that magical stuff - right after Franceska (Roberta Shore) cleans the cut above Buzz Miller's (Tim Considine) eye, all trace of the cut disappears!

What's kind of interesting are those scenes of the Shaggy Dog driving Buzz's roadster and later on the police car. The Disney folks figured out a way to make it look like a dog was really driving the car, wagging tongue and all. Not too much of a problem today of course, but this was over fifty years ago and the special effects department did a pretty good job.

For Annette Funicello, this was her first feature film, and even though she's not a principal, she still has a fair amount of screen time. Not to belabor the point, but it was cool way back when to see one of the Mousketeers make it to the big screen. This was also about the time I started becoming familiar with the names of the actors and actresses in the movies I saw. I happen to recall both Bob Hope and Bing Crosby being asked in separate interviews who they thought the richest person in Hollywood was. Without batting an eye or needing time to think about it, they both answered with the same name - Fred MacMurray.

Inventive family farce

Author: jarrodmcdonald-1 from United States
1 March 2014

The Shaggy Dog is an inventive family farce from the folks at Disney's live action unit. It plays more like a radio or television sitcom than as classic Hollywood cinema. The lead actors are appealing: Fred MacMurray is charming, even in one of his least sympathetic father roles; Jean Hagen is the sensible wife who maintains order; Disney teen idol Tommy Kirk is the troubled son; there are a bevy of other child actors and of course, one mustn't forget the sheepdog that causes most of the pandemonium.

Not to spoil the plot and tell you how the animal comes to cause so much chaos, but the poster advertising the film does indicate there is a scene where the dog drives a sports car while chasing after Russian spies. This is heightened for laughs, and I must say that the premise allows for great sight gags, like the kind that might be found in a Harold Lloyd or Marx Brothers film. It is obvious the writers have used their imaginations and have brought a very visual comedy to the screen.

Not Much Of A Joke

Author: AaronCapenBanner from North America
6 December 2013

Charles Barton directed this wild Disney comedy that stars Tommy Kirk as Wilby Daniels, who comes into possession of an enchanted ring that transforms him into a big shaggy dog, which his parents(played by Fred MacMurray and Jean Hagen) can't quite believe, though his younger brother(played by Kevin Corcoran) thinks is great. When it turns out that the relative of the attractive new girl in town is really a spy, Wilby's trans-formative ability proves to be most handy at stopping him from stealing state secrets. Annette Funicello costars. Silly comedy has a good cast but beats its one joke to death far too often. Still, kids may like it.

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]